• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Jojo

300 guests at 7AM EST after Saturday night.  Why so shy?  Everyone knows a lot of people use both forums - no sense trying to hide.

AZZERAE

Quote from: Sixteen on July 10, 2019, 10:06:06 PM
Alright, well, a night of oldie sitcoms plus a dash of Morse Code.  Does it get any better that that!

Check Brig's coffee pot for grounds.

Taaroa

QuoteOn July 17, 1962, at 6:50, the nuclear submarine "Leninsky Komsomol" first reached the North Pole!

https://twitter.com/victor12073/status/1151333935160463360

gay ass niggers. that is all.

ill be back Saturday, when Heather Wade returns. #EveryStepoftheWay

WOTR

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on July 12, 2019, 01:09:13 PM
Damn - Missed it.  >:(

The Heavy Metal Knitting, World Championship.

(Heh, heh, heh)     :o

https://heavymetalknitting.fi/en/

Thank you for introducing me to my newest hobby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abkGXxUs-mw

AZZERAE

Quote from: Richard Groyper on July 17, 2019, 07:52:07 PM
gay ass niggers. that is all.

ill be back Saturday, when Heather Wade returns. #EveryStepoftheWay

albrecht

America, Fuck Ya! 

"Lawn care is big business, with Americans spending an estimated $40 billion a year on it. That is more than the entire gross domestic product of the nation of Vietnam." 

https://longreads.com/2019/07/18/american-green/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Of course, this guy makes it seem bad that people like lawns or have the ability to have a lawn.  With regard to the one theory that claims a "genetic memory," I don't know about that. My partial theory, aside from the author's claim of elitism, marketing, and HAO/KeepUpWithTheJoneses,  is that the urbanization of many and confinement to offices and the like during the workday make folks like to work in their yard as some kind of recapturing of our former agricultural past and have some productive physical activity (or an excuse to drink beer and drive a mini-tractor around or operate chainsaws.)

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on July 19, 2019, 04:04:22 PM
America, Fuck Ya! 

"Lawn care is big business, with Americans spending an estimated $40 billion a year on it. That is more than the entire gross domestic product of the nation of Vietnam." 

https://longreads.com/2019/07/18/american-green/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

There is little doubt that it is wasteful and unnecessary. I would suggest that if people want to reclaim their agrarian past, they plant crops (I put in around 45 varieties of garlic, some corn, rhubarb and haskaps last year, and am slowly expanding the garden area this year...)

Until last year, I had a traditional lawn- and it looked pretty good (I would aerate, fertilize, top dress and water it.) Last year, I decided to try something different and seeded clover directly into the lawn. Less water, no fertilizer, and less mowing. It only took root in half the lawn, and this year, I am converting the half that did not take root last year...

I don't really know what my neighbours think- but my "lawn" is substantially greener and more lush looking than theirs. It attracts native bees, and is slowly filling in and displacing most of the grass.

Anyhow, I think that the author needs to realize that there are few options. Most people want some land with their house. You can pave it over and have run-off problems. You can hardscape it (expensive), you can plant flowers (more labour intensive and resource intensive) or you can plant grass (or, in my case, clover.) Out of all the options, the fewest resources, and fewest dollars is grass (for most of the country.)

He is right- most people do not look at alternatives. I have clover after considering some alternatives, and I may plant a corner next year in creeping thyme (It may or may not be hardy to my zone.) But most people don't want to really think about it and be "different" (shockingly, I don't have a problem being the only one that I have seen with a "turff alternative.) Many don't want to rock the boat, and most HOA's will not allow such foolishness or individuality. Who knows? Perhaps it will catch on. But for now, turf is king...

whoozit

Is it wrong to name my new Yacht The Curious Scoutmaster and it’s dinghy The Willing Scout?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: whoozit on July 21, 2019, 03:45:57 PM
Is it wrong to name my new Yacht The Curious Scoutmaster and it’s dinghy The Willing Scout?

Yes, very.

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on July 20, 2019, 03:02:24 PM
There is little doubt that it is wasteful and unnecessary. I would suggest that if people want to reclaim their agrarian past, they plant crops (I put in around 45 varieties of garlic, some corn, rhubarb and haskaps last year, and am slowly expanding the garden area this year...)

Until last year, I had a traditional lawn- and it looked pretty good (I would aerate, fertilize, top dress and water it.) Last year, I decided to try something different and seeded clover directly into the lawn. Less water, no fertilizer, and less mowing. It only took root in half the lawn, and this year, I am converting the half that did not take root last year...

I don't really know what my neighbours think- but my "lawn" is substantially greener and more lush looking than theirs. It attracts native bees, and is slowly filling in and displacing most of the grass.

Anyhow, I think that the author needs to realize that there are few options. Most people want some land with their house. You can pave it over and have run-off problems. You can hardscape it (expensive), you can plant flowers (more labour intensive and resource intensive) or you can plant grass (or, in my case, clover.) Out of all the options, the fewest resources, and fewest dollars is grass (for most of the country.)

He is right- most people do not look at alternatives. I have clover after considering some alternatives, and I may plant a corner next year in creeping thyme (It may or may not be hardy to my zone.) But most people don't want to really think about it and be "different" (shockingly, I don't have a problem being the only one that I have seen with a "turff alternative.) Many don't want to rock the boat, and most HOA's will not allow such foolishness or individuality. Who knows? Perhaps it will catch on. But for now, turf is king...
Increasingly people are trapped in situation in which they have HOA or city/town ordinances that almost require you to have a lawn.  But I agree, aside from a turf area for picnic table etc I like gardens or letting it go 'wild.' There are some good native grasses that can be used but they tend to look a bit 'wild' which will set off an HOA or city bureaucrat.   They keep trying to figure out hybrids (Turfalo) etc that use native (not much water needed) but try to look like turf. What is hilarious is the situation here where the city tells us we can water only once a week and yet people will get written up etc if the lawn is not kept up. Hint to city and HOAs: turf grasses will not live, or at least thrive, in an area with high temperatures, no rain, direct sun, and only watered once a week.

albrecht

What happens if someone wants to collect after one of those illegals abducts themselves or a family member? I hope this guy worded his contract very carefully to not include "aliens" of the human and illegal variety because they frequently abduct people. 

https://www.wbtw.com/news/this-florida-company-offers-alien-abduction-insurance/

albrecht

Art mentioned that he once lived in Blue Ridge Summit as a kid (had secret passages and had the top rooms for his HAM outfits.) Like other places up there, some interesting history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Summit,_Pennsylvania 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raven_Rock_Mountain_Complex

Quote from: albrecht on July 21, 2019, 04:42:32 PM
Increasingly people are trapped in situation in which they have HOA or city/town ordinances that almost require you to have a lawn. 
Yet those same bureaucrats will shriek about carbon footprint/taxes/sustainability and declare climate emergencies

When I get a drought I let the lawn go dormant and only water the garden.

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on July 21, 2019, 04:42:32 PM
Increasingly people are trapped in situation in which they have HOA or city/town ordinances that almost require you to have a lawn.  But I agree, aside from a turf area for picnic table etc I like gardens or letting it go 'wild.' There are some good native grasses that can be used but they tend to look a bit 'wild' which will set off an HOA or city bureaucrat.   They keep trying to figure out hybrids (Turfalo) etc that use native (not much water needed) but try to look like turf. What is hilarious is the situation here where the city tells us we can water only once a week and yet people will get written up etc if the lawn is not kept up. Hint to city and HOAs: turf grasses will not live, or at least thrive, in an area with high temperatures, no rain, direct sun, and only watered once a week.
I don't have a HOA, and my city is still pretty lenient in watering schedules (I have seen some that assign days to water to different neighbourhoods.) That said, the city keeps jacking up the water rate and charges a "drainage fee" based on that (never mind that all the water on the front lawn and garden does not need to be treated as sewage- I'm still charged.) So I "upgraded" from rain barrels to rain totes I have capacity for around 2500 liters of stored water and may add more next year if I start running low in the next months.

Between that and the clover, things are not too bad.

WOTR

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on July 22, 2019, 03:31:32 PM
Yet those same bureaucrats will shriek about carbon footprint/taxes/sustainability and declare climate emergencies

Vancouver (think Seattle) is upset because their gas prices are high. This is the province that put in a carbon tax before anybody else, and taxes gas at a rate higher than any other province. They sold the ideas to their stupid electorate as "green" and the morons bought it. Now they are surprised (and upset) to find that they are paying high prices (which is the whole point of the carbon tax. To increase prices forcing decreased demand and consumption.)

If I could stop crying over the stupidity, I would probably be able to see the humour in it...

Quote from: Taaroa on July 22, 2019, 07:51:02 AM

But is it a sandwich?

I can't answer the sandwich question.  What I do know is that grid is wrong.  No cheese on a Coney. 

https://detroithistorical.org/learn/encyclopedia-of-detroit/coney-dog

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 22, 2019, 06:22:24 PM
I can't answer the sandwich question.  What I do know is that grid is wrong.  No cheese on a Coney. 

https://detroithistorical.org/learn/encyclopedia-of-detroit/coney-dog

Try saying that in Cincinnati.

albrecht

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on July 22, 2019, 03:31:32 PM

There is no logic apparent in many politicians and bureaucrats and what is worse is that they scarily feel the need to 'justify' their jobs and so increasingly push laws, regulations, and ordinances so that they look like they are "doing something." I would rather pay them to all play golf, assault their pages or secretaries, or whatever.  The real scandals is when they are doing "their job."

ps: so soon we will need to recycle our unused food etc. Gee I wonder what is the worst that can happen. Have a can filled with organic matter sitting in the 100+ F weather for the once weekly pick up? Well since laws have been passed to allow homeless to camp where-ever they want (except City Hall and certain parks) maybe they will eat the garbage before it goes rancid and attracts vermin?

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 22, 2019, 06:52:18 PM
Try saying that in Cincinnati.

Pffft.   Ohio.  Everyone knows they are all bat shit crazy there.   Hell - they fought a war to *get* Toledo instead of being thankful they were rid of it.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on July 22, 2019, 06:58:08 PM
Pffft.   Ohio.  Everyone knows they are all bat shit crazy there.   Hell - they fought a war to *get* Toledo instead of being thankful they were rid of it.
Their chili is like a weak spaghetti sauce.

Dallas County Jail  Chili Chili philosopher John Thorne  comments: "Texas prison chili got its good reputation from Sheriff Smoot  Schmidt’s truly fine recipe for the Dallas County Jail. Recently, however, a  Texas prison chili contest was won by the Huntsville Penitentiary with a  godawful recipe that called for twice as much cumin as chili powder and ‘2  handfuls’ of monosodium glutamate. In Texas, this is called crime  deterrence." *   Â½ pound beef suet, ground *   2 pounds coarsely ground beef *   3 garlic cloves, minced *   1½ tablespoons paprika *   3 tablespoons chili powder *   1 tablespoon cumin seeds *   1 tablespoon salt *   1 teaspoon white pepper *   1½ teaspoons dried sweet (mild)  chile pods (or paprika) *   3 cups water Fry the suet in a heavy kettle.  Add the meat, garlic, and seasonings; cover. Cook slowly for 4 hours, stirring  occasionally. Add the water and continue cooking until the chili has thickened  slightly, about 1 hour. Serve plain or mixed with an equal portion of cooked  pink or red beans. Yield: 6 servings Heat Scale: Medium