• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

is half of coast now about living a healthier lifestyle?

Started by tweet75, November 13, 2012, 12:13:26 AM

tweet75

it sure seems like it this stuff bores me to  death coast is not the place for this!

Blinko

I can only thing of one show centered around heath and diet that was ever interesting on Coast.

And that was  the Dr.Lorraine Day interview...

aside from her , it's usually a dull topic

Nucky Nolan

There definitely are more health shows, which makes a bad situation worse. I now skip them, and most of the ones that I heard reeked of quacks and snake oil. It seems like it's usually best to do the opposite of what the advisors tell the listeners to do since it's obvious that established, respected medical practices have next to no voice on this show. In fact, they're met with hostility, although I wouldn't put Wilde in the same category comprised by the "throw out your pills and buy my potion" crowd.

b_dubb

i'm guessing their audience is 'older' and staying cancer free is typically of interest to that group.  i definitely don't want some asshole with an MD cutting out bits and pieces.  that said i haven't started taking huge amounts of tumeric.  yet

Sardondi

Quote from: tweet75 on November 13, 2012, 12:13:26 AM
it sure seems like it this stuff bores me to  death coast is not the place for this!

I think you've hit on it. It is so much more like a local TV show scheduled for the 8:00-10:00 am slot.

Quote from: Sardondi on November 13, 2012, 08:59:12 AM
I think you've hit on it. It is so much more like a local TV show scheduled for the 8:00-10:00 am slot.

Despite being handed the nationally syndicated job and 10 years of showing up, George was just never able to make the jump from local TV/Radio guy to national host. 

It's not just lack of talent or not being all that bright - there is plenty of that going on with George and others, he just never understood there is a difference and just continues to apply what he's been doing all his life to the Coast gig.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Sardondi on November 13, 2012, 08:59:12 AM

That's a good comparison. The health and medical shows aren't the right antidotes to the myriad illnesses that plague this sick show. They remind one of Sunday morning local AM talk shows. Code blue.

Scully

My theory is that these shows are strangely comforting to Simple George, who seems to view them as extra info on how he can literally live forever. I've noticed he avoids any suggestion that this isn't possible.

To me, these shows are too depressing to listen to, day or night ... especially night. ???

Sardondi

Quote from: Scully on November 14, 2012, 10:47:29 PM
My theory is that these shows are strangely comforting to Simple George, who seems to view them as extra info on how he can literally live forever. I've noticed he avoids any suggestion that this isn't possible.

To me, these shows are too depressing to listen to, day or night ... especially night. ???

To me too. I think your comment is quite insightful. Both George and Art on several occasions expressed a real fear of death. I don't mean the process, which a lot of us dread. I've heard it said by a wise man that even persons of faith "still fear the stroke (of death)". It's simple human nature to do so.

I mean they seemed to fear the fact of death - what did or did not lie beyond. Art was particularly upset by the after-death communications recorded by Brendan Cook and Barbara McBeath, and the possibility that their recordings meant that after death one's soul or consciousness could remain trapped or be lost. Every time Art hosted them, which was 2-3 times a year, he expressed this fear. George as I recall expressed a more general fear of death, and seems truly to want to extend his mortal life significantly. But I remember both seeming particularly frightened of death.