• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coastgab backbenchers - The Smoking Room

Started by Marc.Knight, January 06, 2010, 09:21:21 PM

Marc.Knight

Coastgab backbenchers - The Smoking Room, the place to unwind and relax.  Have a smoke, tell tales and laugh at the foibles of George Noory...

Marc.Knight

Cigar, anyone?  Or, maybe a little vodka after reading this. (This article is very revealing, especially about how the Nooron and the Minder view the mentality of listeners.)

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/201001/coast-to-coast

MV/Liberace!

marc... i'm noticing a lot of posts from you that contain no text in the body.  is something not working right?

Marc.Knight

Quote from: MV on January 13, 2010, 10:09:15 PM
marc... i'm noticing a lot of posts from you that contain no text in the body.  is something not working right?

just decided to re-work some graphics.  sorry for the mess.

MV/Liberace!

the posts i'm referring to have no graphics or text.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: MV on January 13, 2010, 10:11:58 PM
the posts i'm referring to have no graphics or text.

Yes, I couldn't delete the post, just modify it by removing the graphic in question to re-work. 

EvB

Quote from: Marc Knight on January 13, 2010, 10:13:50 PM
Yes, I couldn't delete the post, just modify it by removing the graphic in question to re-work.

all fixed!  :D

I wonder how such a normally intelligent magazine was hoodwinked into believing that Snoory actually listens?

"Mr. Noory to what do you attribute your success?

George;
“You know, I don’t know,” he said. “It just continues to get bigger, and bigger, and bigger. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No interview is complete without George reminding us all that he doesn't take enough time off! Go ahead, rub it in George.

Noory can be an uneven broadcaster. Sometimes he seems to not pay full attention to his guests, offers strangely obvious commentary, orâ€"and this has alienated some fansâ€"lets clearly delusional or pseudoscientific assertions slide by without challenge. But he listens, with heroic patience, to all of his callers. He does the show live on holidays, he says, because that’s when the listeners need him most. For the same reason, he takes only a third of his allotted vacation time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, I would have expected at least some sort of feeble attempt to convince us that Noory is good at what he does, but it seems quite the opposite. Corbeth is basically saying, "Well, we know it aint much but he shows up on time mostly sober and despite his tongue problem his teeth are good."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Corbeth called George Noory, still known as the Nighthawk, in St. Louis, and hired him as Bell’s full-time replacement. Corbeth told me that Noory’s chief qualification, aside from his familiarity with the paranormal, was simple geniality. “George, quite frankly, was just a guy who was willing to roll up his sleeves and do whatever it took,” he said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“All of us are here because we believe. Or want to believe. Or there’s something happening in our lives that seems to be drawing us to this,” he told the crowd. “We’re looking for answers … And until we can get the right answersâ€"of who we are, and what we areâ€"we’re going to be plagued with this inner feeling that you all have.”
He paused, and looked around the packed ballroom. “I mean, how many of you have that emptiness inside of you?”
Not a single hand went up.
“They all felt it,” he said, when I asked him, at the restaurant, about that moment. “They were afraid.”
I asked him if the emptiness he was talking about was one reason his show seemed to be taking off. He leaned back in his chair and looked out the window.

George Ure mentioned this article in his blog this morning.
http://urbansurvival.com/week.htm

Hey!  Speaking of which:  Remember what, six months back, Cliff said that shows like Coast-to-Coast AM with George Noory would be going mainstream in 2010?  Well, check out the latest in The Atlantic...  Article is titled "The Listener"...  Best of all - we get absolutely precise linguistic fill on C2C going mainstream with this quote:
"This gentle mainstreamingâ€"which Noory freely admits toâ€"seems to be what most irks online dissenters who dissect broadcasts with the zeal of true believers and refer to Noory as “Snoory.” But it’s also what has enabled the Coast to Coast phenomenon to spread into the broader American culture. "
LOL, congrats to George Noory (and Lisa Lyon who books the guests).  The MSM being upstaged by C2C sounds like social consciousness arising, doesn't it?

mikemcc

"This gentle mainstreamingâ€"which Noory freely admits toâ€"seems to be what most irks online dissenters who dissect broadcasts with the zeal of true believers and refer to Noory as “Snoory.” But it’s also what has enabled the Coast to Coast phenomenon to spread into the broader American culture."

I don't think of myself as a "true believer" in the sense that is meant in the "Atlantic" article. But I'll tell you what -- anyone can claim George is dumbing down C2C (equivalent to "mainstreaming") so that the average person will understand and enjoy the show, but that's BS. Since when have people become so stupid that the only kind of radio talk show they'll listen to is one that offers an ill-prepared host who basically mails it in night after night? I see no reason to believe that radio listeners have become so stupid that they can't follow an intelligent (as opposed to "intellectual") and engaged conversation about an interesting topic.

I'd be willing to bet that the "Atlantic" author listened to four or five shows -- probably supplied by C2C -- and that's it, and then went on to write the article. Many of the folks who frequent this forum, however, have listened to C2C for years and years and YEARS. We have heard the four or five good shows that GN does each year, (the same ones that Tommy supplied to the "Atlantic") and have compared them to the other 325 shows that are radio hell.

It's too bad that most folks who comprise the C2C audience don't understand that George is basically calling them idiots. That they are so stupid that George has to consciously lower himself to the same level so they will somehow be able to grasp at least part of each show. So, the next time a guest is speaking about an interesting issue when the break comes and George says they'll get back to it when they return, but then they DON'T get back to it because George forgot, we'll just chalk that up to the fact that the audience is too STUPID to realize what just happened... What a crock! I will readily grant that George has lost a good many of Art's sharp audience, but that doesn't mean that the only listeners left are sitting in the corner with drool collecting on their collars.

If C2C listeners are so stupid, what's the deal with Saturday and Sunday nights? Why don't we get someone like Larry the Cable Guy as a host instead of Ian and George Knapp? Is it the case that *only* the weeknight listeners are stupid? Does the average weekend listener somehow gain 100 IQ points?

I'll tell you what this whole "mainstreaming" issue says to me -- it says that George and his staff KNOW how incredibly unskilled he is at conducting radio interviews. But they obviously cannot just SAY that so they use this roundabout way of admitting what ANY critical listener can hear for him or herself. George and staff have finally thrown in the towel on ANY attempt to convince ANYONE that George is an intelligent and dynamic host who wants to bring important but unusual topics to late-night radio listeners. So GN actually acknowledges his poor performance but then attempts to provide a rational explanation for that poor performance and the rational explanation is that his audience is stupid. What a crock!

You and I know that George is not there to dumb things down for the audience -- that is just a red herring designed to take our attention away from the facts that George is poorly prepared for nearly every interview and that he is not sharp enough to think on his feet. If he could do ONE of these things, he might be OK; however, he can do NEITHER and that's what makes him a terrible host.         

Marc.Knight

Ahhhh... a beautiful Florida night... on my balcony with my feet up, overlooking a lake and smoking a delicious English Corona Cigar.  Art Bell's "Somewhere in Time" begins in a few minutes.  I already have my portable radio tuned in.  Can't ask for much better.

Man... I quit smoking three months ago but this thread is seriously tempting me to get into my Cohiba stash.  ;D