• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

IT'S GONNA BE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY COLD WHERE I LIVE!

Started by starrmtn001, December 01, 2013, 05:18:25 PM

Juan

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 02, 2018, 01:53:53 PM
Are you close to the coast?  The storm is supposed to stick to the coast with no danger inland. It'll stay dry here in the northern part of the state.
Yes, on the coast. The funny thing is, if it does snow enough to accumulate (last happened in 1989) it will melt in a few hours.

Up All Night

Wind Chill temperatures at 4:30PM today, which is generally the warmest point of the day.

Up All Night

Cold weather can cause serious issues when it affects the water supply pipes in your home. Although cold temperatures generally cause things to contract, ice has more volume than water so when water freezes inside a pipe, it expands and increases pressure inside the pipe. The building pressure needs to escape so it literally bursts right out of the pipe. This sometimes occurs at a weak joint in the pipe but pressure can burst right out the side of the pipe wall. One way to prevent water pipes from bursting during extreme cold is to turn on your faucets to allow a slow but steady stream of water to escape. This will keep water moving through the pipes and, most importantly, prevent pressure from building up inside. To prevent frozen pipes, Insulate exposed water supply pipes with foam pipe sleeves and don’t allow the temperature in the house to fall below 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Open cabinet doors below sinks to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.

https://www.rotorooter.com/plumbing-basics/frequently-asked-questions/plumbing-in-your-home/why-do-pipes-burst/

GravitySucks

I’ll take a couple of buckets of global warming if it keeps us from getting as cold as it did in 1983.

Frozen pipes did more damage than hurricane Alicia in Aug 83.

Here is an article about how bad it hurt the fishing.

http://m.chron.com/sports/outdoors/article/Effects-lessons-of-1983-freeze-evident-on-Texas-5092926.php#photo-5643774

Quote from: Juan on January 02, 2018, 02:14:42 PM
Yes, on the coast. The funny thing is, if it does snow enough to accumulate (last happened in 1989) it will melt in a few hours.

I'm hearing 3-6 inches now.   It has been cold enough even down there for it to stick. 

Juan

Today is a revelation in stupidity rivaled only by Bellgab.

ChicagoGal

It's negative 24 degrees celsius today in Chicago... which is actually warm compared to negative 34 over the weekend  :-\

Lord Grantham

Quote from: ChicagoGal on January 04, 2018, 10:05:59 AM
It's negative 24 degrees celsius today in Chicago... which is actually warm compared to negative 34 over the weekend  :-\

A Chicago weather report in Celsius. Fascinating.

TigerLily

Bombogenesis sighting!

Reports: Snowstorm undergoes bombogenesis as it pounds DC to New York City, Boston     
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/reports-snowstorm-to-continue-to-strengthen-barrel-towards-the-northeastern-us/70003737

Meanwhile in San Diego ... High Today of 73 partly sunny and pleasant

Swishypants

Quote from: TigerLily on January 04, 2018, 10:41:12 AM
Bombogenesis sighting!

Reports: Snowstorm undergoes bombogenesis as it pounds DC to New York City, Boston     
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/reports-snowstorm-to-continue-to-strengthen-barrel-towards-the-northeastern-us/70003737

Meanwhile in San Diego ... High Today of 73 partly sunny and pleasant

Enjoy all that Fukashima Radiation you wicked bitch!

I just got done shoveling snow and chipping ice out of my driveway - a chore I don't get to do very often here in NC   :D

Juan

Damn global warming. The ice storm cut off my power and cable. I missed The X-Files.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Up All Night on January 04, 2018, 11:02:59 PM
2018 Winter Storm Grayson Bombogenesis

Yuck, don't use the weather channel's storm names. Its just a gimmick to drive page views to their website.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ChicagoGal on January 04, 2018, 10:05:59 AM

Doesn't all the gunfire warm things up? ???

Quote from: Lord Grantham on January 05, 2018, 08:10:38 AM
Yuck, don't use the weather channel's storm names. Its just a gimmick to drive page views to their website.

That's a pet peeve of mine too.  I never use their shitty names for storms. Just another reason why accuweather is now my go to weather source.

It's a balmy 32 degrees F at 3 this afternoon.  I'm ready for the January thaw.  Cold is no fun when there is no snow.