• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Gardens, Lawns and Such...

Started by chefist, June 10, 2015, 09:46:44 PM

Quote from: albrecht on July 12, 2015, 04:44:37 PM
Seeds are a must do. So easy and tasty and can experiment with different spices.

Sounds like you got a good crop. Post some pictures if you get any big uns. I'm amazed how large some varieties get.

If you run out of things to do with pumpkins... it is fun to have a "pumpkin chunkin' party with your family, friends, or neighbors. We did it the past few years and it was hilarious. (And no one got hurt.) Trebuchets, catapults, an ill-fated slingshot....nothing on the level you see on tv but still fun making primitive machines and seeing if they work.
I like sunflower seeds so I'd prob do just fine with pumpkin. Seems like they would be less harsh compared to sunflower seeds too?
I'm just now seeing some fruits set on after having tons of blooms. It's all going to boil down to those damn cucurbit beetles and if I can control them. Will definitely post a picture if I get some nice ones.

pyewacket

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on July 12, 2015, 04:14:04 PM
Everyone in my area has the same problem. I do have a usda office in town but unfortunately the place is staffed unqualified individuals. I'm thinking spraying the perimeter of the lawn heavily. Really leaning towards the theory they're moving in from the meadow. Ironically, I pulled a tick off me crawling on my leg after walking in the yard earlier. #3 for the year and a bad omen imo. Crap I was just bragging about not having tick issues this year about two hours ago. Headin out the door soon to mow despite 100f and a concussion. May spray come dusk, we'll see. Are you familiar with Tempo?

That's a shame. In our area, the CE agent was very popular and did regular radio segments that allowed people to call in with their questions. Unscreened callers.  ;)

I don't know anything about the outdoor large area sprays. I'd just be concerned about the toxicity for humans, animals, and well water. Ticks are a big problem here, too. We pull them off the 2 cats that go outside into our field often enough. Please be careful- have you been to the doctor for your concussion?

I am not familiar with Tempo- is it a product or a place?

Quote from: pyewacket on July 12, 2015, 04:50:33 PM
That's a shame. In our area, the CE agent was very popular and did regular radio segments that allowed people to call in with their questions. Unscreened callers.  ;)

I don't know anything about the outdoor large area sprays. I'd just be concerned about the toxicity for humans, animals, and well water. Ticks are a big problem here, too. We pull them off the 2 cats that go outside into our field often enough. Please be careful- have you been to the doctor for your concussion?

I am not familiar with Tempo- is it a product or a place?
Malathion is toxic as Nori is. Maybe worse, but that is up for debate. You can get it at walmart but usually only in a 5% concentrate. I use 57% concentrate so it's pretty bad stuff, yeah.

I saw my chiropractor Friday over the concussion and have followed orders all weekend. I'm going nuts sitting in here today though. The lawn doubled in size in two days.

Tempo SC (I think) is an insecticide. I'll bring the pamphlet with me when I come back in/logged back in and post some info on it. It's fairly non-toxic from what I've been told. Works real good on spiders and ants.

pyewacket

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on July 12, 2015, 05:00:15 PM
Malathion is toxic as Nori is. Maybe worse, but that is up for debate. You can get it at walmart but usually only in a 5% concentrate. I use 57% concentrate so it's pretty bad stuff, yeah.

I saw my chiropractor Friday over the concussion and have followed orders all weekend. I'm going nuts sitting in here today though. The lawn doubled in size in two days.

Tempo SC (I think) is an insecticide. I'll bring the pamphlet with me when I come back in/logged back in and post some info on it. It's fairly non-toxic from what I've been told. Works real good on spiders and ants.

Thanks, Gen JJ- I'm glad you're taking care of yourself. I know what you mean about the lawn, it seems to grow faster by the week.

I'm all for less toxic products and would appreciate what you can tell us about Tempo SC.

Quote from: pyewacket on July 12, 2015, 05:38:12 PM
Thanks, Gen JJ- I'm glad you're taking care of yourself. I know what you mean about the lawn, it seems to grow faster by the week.

I'm all for less toxic products and would appreciate what you can tell us about Tempo SC.
This is what I use
http://www.backedbybayer.com/pest-management/general-insect-control/tempo-sc-ultra-insecticide

http://www.drugs.com/vet/tempo-sc-ultra-pest-control-concentrate.html

My peaches seemed to have developed a nice fungus on them I noticed. I have an organic fungicide that usually works well but don't have the info on me atm.

pyewacket

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on July 12, 2015, 07:02:44 PM
This is what I use
http://www.backedbybayer.com/pest-management/general-insect-control/tempo-sc-ultra-insecticide

http://www.drugs.com/vet/tempo-sc-ultra-pest-control-concentrate.html

My peaches seemed to have developed a nice fungus on them I noticed. I have an organic fungicide that usually works well but don't have the info on me atm.

Thank you, Gen JJ- looks like a good product to try.

maureen

free-ranging chickens, and a neighbour gave us 3 ducks 'cause we have a koi pond, and tomatoes in pots...

Chine

Quote from: maureen on July 12, 2015, 08:50:30 PM
free-ranging chickens, and a neighbour gave us 3 ducks 'cause we have a koi pond, and tomatoes in pots...

Maureen,

They are lovely. Beautiful photos. I'm following along reading posts here. Enjoying useful links and info shared here.

These are shots I took of the deer in our neighborhood. Each year, new babies are born. They are protected in the area as it's a refuge. There's probably about 40 of them.  A couple times they've walked up to me but naturally cautious and I respect them not to intrude too much. Just make eye contact and say hello.

albrecht

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on July 12, 2015, 04:49:37 PM
I like sunflower seeds so I'd prob do just fine with pumpkin. Seems like they would be less harsh compared to sunflower seeds too?
I'm just now seeing some fruits set on after having tons of blooms. It's all going to boil down to those damn cucurbit beetles and if I can control them. Will definitely post a picture if I get some nice ones.
Pumpkin seeds you can eat shell and all, at least I do. Never got the technique to eat sunflower seeds like the baseball players who switch from good ol' tabaccy do.

albrecht

Quote from: Chine on July 12, 2015, 09:45:03 PM
Maureen,

They are lovely. Beautiful photos. I'm following along reading posts here. Enjoying useful links and info shared here.

These are shots I took of the deer in our neighborhood. Each year, new babies are born. They are protected in the area as it's a refuge. There's probably about 40 of them.  A couple times they've walked up to me but naturally cautious and I respect them not to intrude too much. Just make eye contact and say hello.
Nice, though they will "deal with" your garden. Here we have nature at work. Coyotes, even fireants, taking the place of cars, or even hunters, with over deer population (and taking many cats.) But the other day I saw the cutest little fawn I've ever seen. Just born and looked like one of those commercials with the Russian Oligarch and small CGI giraffe. Amazing. I couldn't take photo and it was trying to cross a low-water crossing in front of my truck and its nervous mom was awaiting. Gangly and just born. And so small! And all legs. It made it across and hopefully away from other threats.

cweb

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on July 12, 2015, 04:49:37 PM
Around Halloween-time, we like to roast Pumpkin seeds in the oven. With a little salt, they're awesome. They crisp right up and you don't have to spit out the shell like sunflowers.

Also tried to brew some beer with fresh pumpkin. Actually threw some chunks in during the boil. Made it a pain to filter (as opposed to steeping it during the secondary boil) but the beer had a nice subtle tone of pumpkin to it!

Thanks guys. I'll give the seeds a go.
Distill me some pumpkin mash..hmmm.......;)

Quote from: maureen on July 12, 2015, 08:50:30 PM
What is the name of the tomatoes you have planted there? They look very nice. Mine are all still green but did pick my first one Saturday.

maureen

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on July 13, 2015, 01:52:36 PM
What is the name of the tomatoes you have planted there? They look very nice. Mine are all still green but did pick my first one Saturday.
Isn't it marvellous eating one that you've plucked from the vine, juicy and warmed by the sun?!! We planted seeds from plum tomatoes ( at least I think they are plum) that we get locally (Cholula, Mex). They are in pots to keep them out of reach of the chickens. We also have grape tomatoes and the classic round tomato...hehehe... don't know it's name!

But I'll call them Stanley, Beulah, and Olly!!

Bacon, lettuce and tomato - blt's tonight for me.
Will be slicing a fully ripened Black Kiev.
http://www.heirloomtomatoplants.com/The%20Black%20Tomatoes.htm

Have the Black Kiev, Black Cherry, and the Indigo Blues planted this year.

I didn't care for the Black Krim for the BLT's. Just didn't taste as good as a red tomato fwiw.

cweb

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on July 16, 2015, 07:27:24 PM
I didn't care for the Black Krim for the BLT's. Just didn't taste as good as a red tomato fwiw.
In our area, it's a divided opinion between Black Krim and Brandywine. Some swear by one, some swear by the other.

Being more of a sauce fan, I count Super Marzano among my favorites. This was the tomato that made my grandmother swear off the Roma variety forever.

ItsOver

Wow.  A lawn and garden line on BellGab.  I want to see MV select Mr. Green Jeans as his next avatar.

The General

Quote from: The General on June 10, 2015, 10:47:40 PM
Nothing fancy like raised beds, but we're growing lots of food this year.

Update.
I upped my game for this year.
C'mon spring.

littlechris

Quote from: The General on March 01, 2016, 05:10:12 PM
Update.
I upped my game for this year.
C'mon spring.

Very nice. I prefer raised beds as well. Also amend with lots of perlite and organic goodies.

The General

Quote from: littlechris on March 01, 2016, 05:15:42 PM
Very nice. I prefer raised beds as well. Also amend with lots of perlite and organic goodies.

Thanks.
Much compost was involved.
And many pallets.

Ciardelo

Quote from: The General on March 01, 2016, 10:24:20 PM
Thanks.
Much compost was involved.
And many pallets.
Did you build those from plans available somewhere? I've got a courtyard area that would accommodate narrower versions. I've seen "kits" online but they seem really overpriced.

The General

Quote from: Ciardelo on March 02, 2016, 11:48:23 AM
Did you build those from plans available somewhere? I've got a courtyard area that would accommodate narrower versions. I've seen "kits" online but they seem really overpriced.

No, I just tore apart some pallets and cut up the wood to make 4 3x6 foot beds and 2 2x3 footers.
Twas free.  And not hard, the best way to tear up the pallets is to cut through the nails with a sawzall.
But only use the heat treated pallets, not the methyl bromide treated pallets, you can find info online.

The General

Quote from: Ciardelo on March 02, 2016, 11:48:23 AM

Also note my home made compost bin.
From pallet wood.  Yes, I'm a freeloading, veggie growing, God fearing, ABBA listening, hippie neo-con.
Explain that.

Ciardelo

Quote from: The General on March 02, 2016, 12:40:38 PM
Also note my home made compost bin.
From pallet wood.  Yes, I'm a freeloading, veggie growing, God fearing, ABBA listening, hippie neo-con.
Explain that.
I noticed the compost bin. Thanks :)

coaster

I can't wait to garden this spring. I'm going to try something new and plant corn. Nebraska is the cornhusker state, but I'll be damned if I can get it to grow. That is the one thing we cannot grow here without chemicals. But damnit, I'm gonna try. Have a new compost heap I'm excited about too. Also, canning. Never really did it before, but I have a friend who cans every year and gives me so much. I figured I'd try it out and repay her. spring and gardening. two things that get me out of this miserable depression.

onan

Damn you General. I was content raising 6 tomato plants every year. Now I am buying enough wood to make 4 raised beds. When it's finished I will post pics. I do have a few questions. What did you use for your soil? A mix of compost, topsoil and some variation of vermiculite? Did you use gravel for a foundation?

GravitySucks

Quote from: coaster on March 04, 2016, 05:26:53 PM
I can't wait to garden this spring. I'm going to try something new and plant corn. Nebraska is the cornhusker state, but I'll be damned if I can get it to grow. That is the one thing we cannot grow here without chemicals. But damnit, I'm gonna try. Have a new compost heap I'm excited about too. Also, canning. Never really did it before, but I have a friend who cans every year and gives me so much. I figured I'd try it out and repay her. spring and gardening. two things that get me out of this miserable depression.

I am sure you know this, but corn is a pain in the ass. You have to plant several rows of it in order for it to pollinate. Then it all ripens at once.

akwilly

Dang this thread is making me itch for summer. There are few things better than sitting in greenhouse eating tomatoes with sea salt and some cold Miller lite.