• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Quote from: BobGrau on July 25, 2012, 01:55:18 PM
Believe it or not, I've never seen Braveheart.  :o

Christ, I thought the SNP would have made Braveheart a compulsory watch in Scotland.  :D

Oversoul

Quote from: ChancersAnswer on July 25, 2012, 04:23:30 PM
Christ, I thought the SNP would have made Braveheart a compulsory watch in Scotland.  :D

Kinda follows the biblical maxim that goes: A prophet is never welcome in his own town. (They would rather stone him.)  8)

Quote from: Oversoul on July 26, 2012, 08:54:04 AM
Kinda follows the biblical maxim that goes: A prophet is never welcome in his own town. (They would rather stone him.)  8)

Stoning doesn't had the umph these days, as it used to do. Nowadays, we prefer throwing beer glasses here in Ingerland  :D

ziznak

"Total Recall" is a total waste of time... I liked it better with Ahnawld.
"Diary of a wimpy kid" was cute
"magic mike" pretty funny but kinda "meh" at the same time...
"the watchmen" One of the best movies I've seen for the 100th time in years.  I really love the parralel universe of the watchmen where so much history is involved yet it's still skewed by the story.  I've been reading the comic series "before watchmen" and it's spurred me to download this classic once again... anybody into comics i highly recommend this series.

ziznak

"jiro dreams of sushi" was also surprisingly good!

MV/Liberace!

a buddy of mine was here last night and wanted to watch the movie super troopers

so we did. 

about 45 minutes in, i grabbed the remote, stopped the movie, and sighed, "i can't go on."

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on August 12, 2012, 03:04:51 PM
a buddy of mine was here last night and wanted to watch the movie super troopers

so we did. 

about 45 minutes in, i grabbed the remote, stopped the movie, and sighed, "i can't go on."
Terrible movie-didn't laugh once. Another reason to hate stoners. I love getting high, but hate the cultural milieu that surrounds it. The last good stoner movie was "Up in Smoke". Which was released when the Shah still ran Persia.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 12, 2012, 03:14:36 PM
      Terrible movie-didn't laugh once. Another reason to hate stoners. I love getting high, but hate the cultural milieu that surrounds it. The last good stoner movie was "Up in Smoke". Which was released when the Shah still ran Persia.

beyond not being funny at all, it had terrible dialog.  i just couldn't take it.  my friend's love of this movie has knocked him down a couple of pegs, to be honest.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on August 12, 2012, 03:50:38 PM

beyond not being funny at all, it had terrible dialog.  i just couldn't take it.  my friend's love of this movie has knocked him down a couple of pegs, to be honest.
But it's from the Broken Lizard comedy troupe!...Crickets, Crickets, Crickets.

Comedy troupes and improv groups are to comedy what genital warts are to sex.

And there are few things worse than somebody saying "I'd thought YOU would like this" and then they put forth a Pauly Shore/Billy Crystal movie or some revolting shit that could easily lead to a justifiable domestic battery. "Yeah, you know me so well, there's nothing I like better than a Martin Lawrence/(fill-in name of generic white actor) buddy film"

The General

Quote from: ziznak on August 10, 2012, 07:41:26 PM
"jiro dreams of sushi" was also surprisingly good!
Wanted to see that....  looks awesome

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 12, 2012, 06:55:02 PM
   But it's from the Broken Lizard comedy troupe!

the fucking what?  who?  just that name alone makes me want to harm animals.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on August 13, 2012, 02:09:02 AM

the fucking what?  who?  just that name alone makes me want to harm animals.
That's the proper response to this "National Lampoon" :'( inspired crowd who also gave us the celluloid smegma "Club Dread" and "Beer Fest". Two movies that make a person regret that they defied crib death.

ziznak

Quote from: The General on August 12, 2012, 10:17:31 PM
Wanted to see that....  looks awesome
I'm not a big sushi fan but I love eastern philosophy.  It's amazing how much pride a man can take in such a seemingly simple job.  Old wise Asian dude's can make shoveling shit seem like a spiritual calling.  If you can deal with subtitles I suggest you download it.

McPhallus

Quote from: ziznak on August 13, 2012, 07:42:05 AM
I'm not a big sushi fan but I love eastern philosophy.  It's amazing how much pride a man can take in such a seemingly simple job.  Old wise Asian dude's can make shoveling shit seem like a spiritual calling.  If you can deal with subtitles I suggest you download it.

Wax on, wax off.

The Cabin in the Woods Trailer 2012 HD

It's Drew Goddard and co-written and produced by Joss Whedon.

it's not what you think.... cuz it's Joss Whedon....   8)

loved it.

HorrorRetro

I just watched Damnation Alley with George Peppard and Jan-Michael Vincent.  I'm a '70s movie freak, especially horror/suspense and disaster.  They don't make actors like George Peppard anymore.  :-[

Gina

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorRetro on August 26, 2012, 03:20:48 PM
I just watched Damnation Alley with George Peppard and Jan-Michael Vincent.  I'm a '70s movie freak, especially horror/suspense and disaster.  They don't make actors like George Peppard anymore.  :-[

Gina
Those giant Scorpions freaked me out as a kid. Just like the fire inducing cockroaches of 1975's "Bug". And the worms of 1976's "Squirm".

RIP to Banacek.

BobGrau

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 26, 2012, 10:08:16 PM
                Those giant Scorpions freaked me out as a kid. Just like the fire inducing cockroaches of 1975's "Bug". And the worms of 1976's "Squirm".

RIP to Banacek.
Just the front cover of 'Squirm' (in the video shop) caused me endless sleepless nights as a kid, and a permanent horror of showers. Thanks for dredging that one up. Maybe I should go watch it finally.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: BobGrau on August 27, 2012, 10:24:30 AM
Just the front cover of 'Squirm' (in the video shop) caused me endless sleepless nights as a kid, and a permanent horror of showers. Thanks for dredging that one up. Maybe I should go watch it finally.
I saw that movie on a "Creature Double Feature" when I was 7. I couldn't eat spaghetti for years after. Fucking Hollywood giving me even more neuroses, like I didn't have enough already at that age.

HorrorRetro

I haven't psyched myself up enough to watch Squirm yet.  I've seen the trailer many times, and that's as far as I've gotten.  I'll get to it one day.  The roach scenes in Damnation Alley were horrible enough.  Paul Winfield's character died a horrible death.

Gina

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorRetro on August 27, 2012, 11:02:47 AM
The roach scenes in Damnation Alley were horrible enough.  Paul Winfield's character died a horrible death.

Winfield's character in "The Serpent and the Rainbow" may have had an even worse demise. Which is saying something. 

HorrorRetro

I've only seen bits and pieces of The Serpent and the Rainbow, and that was years ago.  I'll have to check it out.

Eddie Coyle

I've been confined to my VHS sector of the bunker(foot bothering me) so I've watched three old films that I taped off cable many moons ago.

"The Dogs of War"(1980) with Christopher Walken

"The Laughing Policeman"(1973) with Walter Matthau and Bruce Dern

"Carnal Knowledge" (1971) with Jack Nicholson and Ann Margret.

and some vintage Howard Stern episodes from the fall of 1991.

"Oh we won't give in, we'll keep living in the past"....quoting a 43 year old Jethro Tull song as proof.

ziznak

Whoa thats some early Walken stuff there!  I normally don't watch older movies but recently enjoyed finally watching "the andromeda strain" which i think was like 68?ish. 

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 27, 2012, 11:14:37 AM
       Winfield's character in "The Serpent and the Rainbow" may have had an even worse demise. Which is saying something. 
ahhhhh... makes the scrotum shiver just thinking about it.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ziznak on August 28, 2012, 10:56:10 PM
Whoa thats some early Walken stuff there!  I normally don't watch older movies but recently enjoyed finally watching "the andromeda strain" which i think was like 68?ish. 
ahhhhh... makes the scrotum shiver just thinking about it.
The Andromeda Strain was '71(March 12, I think)...but who's counting, other than OCD nuts like me. A really young Walken is in "The Anderson Tapes" from June, 1971

I worked with a bunch of Haitians as a kid...and when they'd argue(quite loudly) I'd expect someone to blow dust in another's face, and then have that guy collapse with a scorpion in his mouth. They never did anything that cool though...it was usually screwdrivers that were used.

ziznak

Currently half way through the "Auschwitz Inside the Nazi State" documentary series.  I'm a sucker for WWII movies and docs. After recently watching a slew of revisionist movies I decided to check out some of the better "propaganda" films.  I find myself somewhere in the middle of that little mess.  Don't think it happened the way it's written... but can't understand how some believe that shit didn't happen at all.