• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151026 - Dr. Michael Lynch – The Ghost Phenomenon - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 26, 2015, 04:57:57 PM

SaucyRossy

Quote from: Robert on October 26, 2015, 10:50:06 PM
Has anything you've seen yet ruled out my hypothesis of an irregularly shaped solid much closer to Earth than to the star it's occulting, rotating so as to occult & unoccult the star periodically according to the shape of its edge & how closely aligned the star is to the line of sight from the object's edge?

I'm not an expert, and I am only repeating and remembering what I've read. But I believe if I remember correctly, they've been able to roughly to determine the shapes of the object(s) and how far away they orbit from KIC. So, that being said, I believe it would rule out your theory.

Art

http://artbell.com/mon-oct-26-dr-michael-lynch/

My god, the guy with long sleeves rolled up his sleeve and there were cat scratches.  The only explanation is cat ghosts.

Spinner

Quote from: coaster on October 26, 2015, 10:49:09 PM
Not a great choice of guest for new listeners. A guy who thinks dust is alien ghosts..
Well, isn't this the kind of 'crazy' that attracts listeners to Art's show?

jazmunda

Quote from: trostol on October 26, 2015, 10:51:59 PM
i am leaning to i do not think he is

I think I worded it wrong. I hope Art doesn't believe the orb BS.

Ghosts are one thing but the Orbs are dust.

GravitySucks

Has anything you've seen yet ruled out my hypothesis of an irregularly shaped solid much closer to Earth than to the star it's occulting, rotating so as to occult & unoccult the star periodically according to the shape of its edge & how closely aligned the star is to the line of sight from the object's edge?

I told you the other night that I have ruled it out, yet you continue to choose to believe.

Apostate!

SciFiAuthor

It would be unlikely due to the motion of the object vs. the motion of the star.

coaster

Quote from: Spinner on October 26, 2015, 10:54:26 PM

Well, isn't this the kind of 'crazy' that attracts listeners to Art's show?
Well, there is crazy, and then there is stupid.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 26, 2015, 10:51:56 PM
You're optimistic. Maybe our self-replicating nanobots may become something megalithic, but I don't see us making it to a Type Ii civilization. I have troubles visualizing us getting to a Type I. I hope I am wrong.

I'm a classical humanist, color me optimistic. Personally, I think we'll undergo the Singularity and be a type I civilization within 50 or so years.

Robert

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 26, 2015, 10:54:12 PMI'm not an expert, and I am only repeating and remembering what I've read. But I believe if I remember correctly, they've been able to roughly to determine the shapes of the object(s) and how far away they orbit from KIC. So, that being said, I believe it would rule out your theory.
Do they have observ'ns from sites remote enough to triangulate with a significant base?  That's the only way I could see of determining the distance of a non-emitting object.

trostol

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 26, 2015, 10:56:52 PM
I'm a classical humanist, color me optimistic. Personally, I think we'll undergo the Singularity and be a type I civilization within 50 or so years.

i'd be surprised by that honestly

Robert

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 26, 2015, 10:54:33 PMIt would be unlikely due to the motion of the object vs. the motion of the star.
Is the translational motion of the object known?  How?  AFAIK the only way they have of detecting it is its occult'n of a single star, and from that you can't get whether it's rotation or xlation.

GravitySucks

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 26, 2015, 10:56:52 PM

I hope you are right. The rate we are going all continents will sink under the weight of archived paranormal podcasts. We need something to save us from our quest for petabytes and exabytes of torrents.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: trostol on October 26, 2015, 10:57:52 PM
i'd be surprised by that honestly

Every indicator is pointing to it. Technological development over the last 20 years has proven to be exponential as Von Neumann predicted and there seems to be no reason for it to slow down. If it doesn't, then the Singularity will occur around 2045 with the advent of superintelligence.

trostol

oh yeah..i have been investigating the back of my eyelids for 42 years..so there!!!!

Quote from: norland2424 on October 26, 2015, 10:54:31 PM
I sold my soul for a Pepsi...

I sold mine for a doughnut. Fortunately my neighborino didn't know I'd already promised it to my wife Marge when I married her.