• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150922 - Dr. Kevin Trenberth - Climate Change - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, September 22, 2015, 04:40:07 PM

Barfly

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 22, 2015, 10:25:02 PM
I'm not a climate change denier, but I always wonder about the doom and gloom predictions. Climate change can be mitigated with technology. It may not be that hard as it turns out.
Don't worry about climate change, its September 23, we all die today

zmbabwe

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on September 22, 2015, 10:23:43 PM
Al Gore (that blithering IDIOT) has his mansion on the coast also ( not on the gulf though.) If he truly believed in global warming, he would have built in the mountains. That prick is promoting this fallacy for the money. (Carbon tax)

The carbon taxes go to him?

Jocko Johnson

Sorry but I don't believe any of this...for many reasons. Remember when the original "scientist" who started all the research was caught admiting and it was proven that he falsified his results? This is bogus. First off this doc has a terrible delivery.  I do hope that Art will have another guest one night who can present the opposing view.

maren

Quote from: Sean92008 on September 22, 2015, 10:06:32 PM
Yay! KFMB - AB was with them ages ago.

Sniff e-mailed me already.  I e-mailed them back when AB was first mentioning to contact stations and YES FUCKING YEAH!

C2C dies in San Diego!!!

KFMB gains a listener in me.  That means their morning guys will get a new listener too, I'll leave the radio alarm on the same station.

That's how I discovered Art in 1990 -- on the same station as my alarm was set to. THEN, as he switched around, my alarm station followed him around. :-)

That ended with Noory. 

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 22, 2015, 10:22:51 PM
But in Back to the Future Part II, the Cubs win the World Series this year.

Cutler sucks... Best negotiator, worst quarterback in the NFL.

;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on September 22, 2015, 10:27:11 PM
Sorry but I don't believe any of this...for many reasons. Remember when the original "scientist" who started all the research was caught admiting and it was proven that he falsified his results? This is bogus. First off this doc has a terrible delivery.  I do hope that Art will have another guest one noght who can present the opposing view.
Not sure he will... Art believes too hard.

TigerLily

Quote from: malachi.martini on September 22, 2015, 10:23:40 PM
That's because they keep sending this guy to congratulate everyone who makes the breakthroughs:

;D Who killed the electric car? ....and everyone in it

Jocko Johnson

Well if the polar bears are the litmus test, isn't the lastest stats show them doing better and their population growing like never before?

ArJuna

16 GLOBALLY RENOWNED SCIENTISTS SAY MAN-MADE CLIMATE CHANGE IS BULLSHIT

Claude Allegre, former director of the Institute for the Study of the Earth, University of Paris;
J. Scott Armstrong, cofounder of the Journal of Forecasting and the International Journal of Forecasting;
Jan Breslow, head of the Laboratory of Biochemical Genetics and Metabolism, Rockefeller University;
Roger Cohen, fellow, American Physical Society; Edward David, member, National Academy of Engineering and National Academy of Sciences;
William Happer, professor of physics, Princeton;
Michael Kelly, professor of technology, University of Cambridge, U.K.;
William Kininmonth, former head of climate research at the Australian Bureau of Meteorology;
Richard Lindzen, professor of atmospheric sciences, MIT;
James McGrath, professor of chemistry, Virginia Technical University;
Rodney Nichols, former president and CEO of the New York Academy of Sciences;
Burt Rutan, aerospace engineer, designer of Voyager and SpaceShipOne;
Harrison H. Schmitt, Apollo 17 astronaut and former U.S. senator;
Nir Shaviv, professor of astrophysics, Hebrew University, Jerusalem;
Henk Tennekes, former director, Royal Dutch Meteorological Service;
Antonio Zichichi, president of the World Federation of Scientists, Geneva;
AND: Nobel Prize-winning physicist Ivar Giaever.

In September, Nobel Prize-winning physicist Ivar Giaever, a supporter of President Obama in the last election, publicly resigned from the American Physical Society (APS) with a letter that begins: "I did not renew [my membership] because I cannot live with the [APS policy] statement: 'The evidence is incontrovertible: Global warming is occurring. If no mitigating actions are taken, significant disruptions in the Earth's physical and ecological systems, social systems, security and human health are likely to occur. We must reduce emissions of greenhouse gases beginning now.' In the APS it is OK to discuss whether the mass of the proton changes over time and how a multi-universe behaves, but the evidence of global warming is incontrovertible?"

In spite of a multidecade international campaign to enforce the message that increasing amounts of the "pollutant" carbon dioxide will destroy civilization, large numbers of scientists, many very prominent, share the opinions of Dr. Giaever. And the number of scientific "heretics" is growing with each passing year. The reason is a collection of stubborn scientific facts.

Perhaps the most inconvenient fact is the lack of global warming for well over 10 years now. This is known to the warming establishment, as one can see from the 2009 "Climategate" email of climate scientist Kevin Trenberth: "The fact is that we can't account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can't." But the warming is only missing if one believes computer models where so-called feedbacks involving water vapor and clouds greatly amplify the small effect of CO2.

The lack of warming for more than a decadeâ€"indeed, the smaller-than-predicted warming over the 22 years since the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) began issuing projectionsâ€"suggests that computer models have greatly exaggerated how much warming additional CO2 can cause. Faced with this embarrassment, those promoting alarm have shifted their drumbeat from warming to weather extremes, to enable anything unusual that happens in our chaotic climate to be ascribed to CO2.

The fact is that CO2 is not a pollutant. CO2 is a colorless and odorless gas, exhaled at high concentrations by each of us, and a key component of the biosphere's life cycle. Plants do so much better with more CO2 that greenhouse operators often increase the CO2 concentrations by factors of three or four to get better growth. This is no surprise since plants and animals evolved when CO2 concentrations were about 10 times larger than they are today. Better plant varieties, chemical fertilizers and agricultural management contributed to the great increase in agricultural yields of the past century, but part of the increase almost certainly came from additional CO2 in the atmosphere.

Although the number of publicly dissenting scientists is growing, many young scientists furtively say that while they also have serious doubts about the global-warming message, they are afraid to speak up for fear of not being promotedâ€"or worse. They have good reason to worry. In 2003, Dr. Chris de Freitas, the editor of the journal Climate Research, dared to publish a peer-reviewed article with the politically incorrect (but factually correct) conclusion that the recent warming is not unusual in the context of climate changes over the past thousand years.

The international warming establishment quickly mounted a determined campaign to have Dr. de Freitas removed from his editorial job and fired from his university position. Fortunately, Dr. de Freitas was able to keep his university job.

This is not the way science is supposed to work, but we have seen it beforeâ€"for example, in the frightening period when Trofim Lysenko hijacked biology in the Soviet Union. Soviet biologists who revealed that they believed in genes, which Lysenko maintained were a bourgeois fiction, were fired from their jobs. Many were sent to the gulag and some were condemned to death.

Why is there so much passion about global warming, and why has the issue become so vexing that the American Physical Society, from which Dr. Giaever resigned a few months ago, refused the seemingly reasonable request by many of its members to remove the word "incontrovertible" from its description of a scientific issue? There are several reasons, but a good place to start is the old question "cui bono?" Or the modern update, "Follow the money."

Barfly

Quote from: GravitySucks on September 22, 2015, 10:26:42 PM
You live in the Keys... I loathe you...

But now back me up and tell everyone that sea levels have not risen.
No change in sea levels here, Al said we where one of the first to go.
In fact no hurricanes for years, you lied to me Al..why Al Why?

gabrielle

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on September 22, 2015, 10:27:11 PM
Sorry but I don't believe any of this...for many reasons. Remember when the original "scientist" who started all the research was caught admiting and it was proven that he falsified his results? This is bogus. First off this doc has a terrible delivery.  I do hope that Art will have another guest one noght who can present the opposing view.

a mere blip in the graph

TigerLily

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 22, 2015, 10:25:02 PM
I'm not a climate change denier, but I always wonder about the doom and gloom predictions. Climate change can be mitigated with technology. It may not be that hard as it turns out.

It's promoted (true or not) for the money that can be made from it. Plain & simple

You know Art mentioned a few weeks ago about how the Inuits believe the Earth has tilted a bit which would explain why some areas have gotten warmer and other areas have gotten colder.

Weather as a Force Multiplier:
Owning the Weather in 2025

A high-risk, high-reward endeavor, weather-modification offers a dilemma not unlike the splitting of the
atom. While some segments of society will always be reluctant to examine controversial issues such as
weather-modification, the tremendous military capabilities that could result from this field are ignored at our
own peril. From enhancing friendly operations or disrupting those of the enemy via small-scale tailoring of
natural weather patterns to complete dominance of global communications and counterspace control,
weather-modification offers the war fighter a wide-range of possible options to defeat or coerce an
adversary.

http://csat.au.af.mil/2025/volume3/vol3ch15.pdf

Conveniently the extreme weather narratives fall perfectly in line with the Airforce's own roadmap to controlling the weather.

Donald Noory

I agree with that durn smart teabagger politician who said that there can't be no global warming, because God is in charge, and it's a durn insult to God to think that he would let the Earth be heatin' up. Durn it!

Barfly

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on September 22, 2015, 10:28:39 PM
Well if the polar bears are the litmus test, isn't the lastest stats show them doing better and their population growing like never before?
They like to have sex

Quote from: Barfly on September 22, 2015, 10:26:45 PM
Don't worry about climate change, its September 23, we all die today
...with 1/2 price Sonic IceCream cones in our hands

Barfly

Quote from: TigerLily on September 22, 2015, 10:29:33 PM
Probably due to climate change
Thanks for the explanation, the next 23 hours for me are going to be awefull

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on September 22, 2015, 10:29:36 PM
It's promoted (true or not) for the money that can be made from it. Plain & simple

Oh sure, Al Gore made a ton of money from his movie. The trouble is, he used the very worst figures, and sometimes beyond, in his predictions. Now they're discredited, but that doesn't change the fact that he made a bundle from it and it doesn't change the fact that most of the people that watched it still believe it.

maren

Quote from: TigerLily on September 22, 2015, 10:08:17 PM
TigerLily padding in. Greetings all. Hey Virgins.
Got here just in time to hear Art announce KFMB in San Diego. One of the stations I was targeting.  That's pretty big here. 
Feel better soon, Asia!

Sister Princess.  *bows and secret handshake -- we really need one* what did he say Asia had?  I came right in at the tale end.

Barfly

Quote from: 21st Century Man on September 22, 2015, 10:29:37 PM
You know Art mentioned a few weeks ago about how the Inuits believe the Earth has tilted a bit which would explain why some areas have gotten warmer and other areas have gotten colder.
I blame fat people for the Earth tilt

Jocko Johnson

Carbon taxes! The biggest fraud ever perpetrated on the people. Invented by Al Gore. Made him a multi billionaire.  Feel bad about what you are doing to the environment?  Send us some cash, we'll plant a few trees for you!!! Ha, wish I thought of it.

starrmtn001

I live in Colorado, in the mountains. :o 

Something I've noticed this year is that the Autumn foliage is not at all brilliant.  In fact, it's a bit on the dull side.  I've inspected some of the trees and they're full of (box?)beetles.  These beetles haven't caused problems before, but this year there seem to be more.

I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them on my "BellGab Gallery" for you.