• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

MST3K and RiffTrax

Started by ItsOver, July 12, 2014, 11:09:58 AM

Very nice to see the faithful respond to Joel's call with such enthusiastic support!  I just hope that losing Art under such unfortunate circumstances on the same day wasn't the sacrifice demanded by a cruel and capricious Universe in return for that. That would just be wrong.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 12, 2015, 12:53:08 AM
Very nice to see the faithful respond to Joel's call with such enthusiastic support!  I just hope that losing Art under such unfortunate circumstances on the same day wasn't the sacrifice demanded by a cruel and capricious Universe in return for that. That would just be wrong.
Yeah, when I mentioned The Final Sacrifice I, well, you know.  Who would have guessed?  It's almost like an incomprehensible COINCIDENCE!!

But a big congratulations to Joel and Co., and to all loyal MSTies,
past, present and future.

Quote from: Étouffée on December 12, 2015, 01:06:14 AM
Yeah, when I mentioned The Final Sacrifice I, well, you know.  Who would have guessed?  It's almost like an incomprehensible COINCIDENCE!!

You better hope that's not the case, or else you're going to find yourself in a lot of hot water, crawdad.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on December 12, 2015, 01:52:06 AM
You better hope that's not the case, or else you're going to find yourself in a lot of hot water, crawdad.
Ho-lee chit! 

Have you made any progress on your bindle, Cam?  If you can't decide what to pack, here are a few suggestions from an authoritative source: 

Two changes of BVDs
Guitar
Address book
Pair of socks
4 Masked Marvel comic books
Tennis racquet
Four hundred n' ninety-seven n' a half feet o' rope.

He also advocates using a diaper as a bindle, but that's really a matter of personal preference and need not be considered a hard and fast rule. 

All source material and more can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv37zsOy_4Y

ItsOver

Need an escape from the latest AB drama, fellow Misties and Riffers?  RiffTrax does an encore of "Santa and The Ice Cream Bunny" tomorrow night, Tuesday, at a theater near you!  From "The Quickening" to "The Quittening" to "The Crappening!"  May the laughs be with you.

http://www.rifftrax.com/

Rolling Stone magazine conducts a mini-interview with Joel Hodgson about the record-breaking Kickstarter phenomenon and the return of a reborn MST3K:

click here to read interview

So I wasn't dreaming; we did get MST3K back for Christmas!

Quote from: Étouffée on December 25, 2015, 07:05:24 PM

Yes, it really happened!

And we also have SHERLOCK, Twin Peaks, The X-Files, and who knows what else, lined up for 2016.

Now.  If we can just avoid World War III ...

Jackstar

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on December 25, 2015, 07:21:29 PM
Now.  If we can just avoid World War III ...

There's still a few channels it's not being covered on. Yet.

Quote from: Étouffée on December 25, 2015, 07:05:24 PM

It's a Christmas miracle, Crawdad!  God bless us, everyone!   :D

It's been a couple of weeks since the last Kickstarter update, so Joel's about due.  He's undoubtedly been busy with the show prep and TV negotiations he mentioned in the last one, and I'm looking forward to his progress report.

Cam, you rascally ink stained wretch, have you heard anything through your back channels lately?

ItsOver

Where has Cam been?  He hasn't posted since New Year's Eve?  Is it still the proper mourning period for Angus Scrimm?

Quote from: ItsOver on January 21, 2016, 02:11:50 PM
Where has Cam been?  He hasn't posted since New Year's Eve?  Is it still the proper mourning period for Angus Scrimm?

That's part of it, but it sounds like he's also been busy because he actually has a life, unlike most of us.  ;D

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on January 21, 2016, 02:14:44 PM
That's part of it, but it sounds like he's also been busy because he actually has a life, unlike most of us.  ;D
He's on FaceBook then? 

Quote from: ItsOver on January 21, 2016, 02:19:05 PM
He's on FaceBook then? 

I'm not sure if his life, exciting as it may be, is as rich and rewarding as that...

Got a Kickstarter update today from Joel, and and it sounds like things are moving along pretty well. The only snag is some difficulty obtaining the international rights for a few of the movies, which has pushed their schedule back about two months.  As it stands, they could show the movies in the U.S. and Canada, but Joel, being the sweet guy he is, wants to make sure Mysties all over the world can see them as well.

I just want my MST3K INFORMATION CLUB 2 membership certificate and ID card.

MST3K Episode 517 on many PBS stations tonight.

Swarms of giant grasshoppers are headed straight for Chicago in Beginning of the End (1957).  Starring Peter Graves.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 20, 2016, 11:53:40 PM
MST3K Episode 517 on many PBS stations tonight.
Swarms of giant grasshoppers are headed straight for Chicago in Beginning of the End (1957).  Starring Peter Graves.

I should be so lucky.  My local PBS affiliate is showing a dull BBC archaeology programme.  They're going to get an earful next time they ask me to contribute at tote bag level. 

That is very encouraging news, though. Thanks, Batgod!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 21, 2016, 02:00:46 AM
I should be so lucky.  My local PBS affiliate is showing a dull BBC archaeology programme.  They're going to get an earful next time they ask me to contribute at tote bag level. 

No need to get historical about it.....

It's okay, I'm here all week.

Jackstar

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 21, 2016, 02:03:08 AM
It's okay, I'm here all week.

You'd better be, because with the /ignore list down, this is your chance to impress. Tens of dozens of people are able to see your posts once more! Cherish these crucial, historic moments.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 21, 2016, 02:00:46 AM

That sucks that your local PBS didn't purchase this particular package.  For the last several weeks it has aired every Saturday 10 PM PT/Sunday Midnight CST. 

So far, the schedule has yet to repeat an episode. I don't know how many are going to be aired total, but I've already seen two episodes that I had never seen before, so it's been a Batgodsend for me.

But I have seen the giant grasshopper episode many times, and while I have episode 512 on the somewhat coveted Rhino version of the DVD,  I was still glad I tuned in.

(The reason the Rhino DVD is preferred by some is that it includes both the MST3K episode and the uncut and unriffed version of the featured film.)

So why watch it on television via antenna?

Because it's there is always a good enough reason, but the surprise at the end really made it worth it.

Just when I thought the episode was completely over, a bumper of Penn Gillette's voice came on and informed me that I had been watching Comedy Central.  Comedy Central's logo flashed and pinged to prove it.

It's a small detail, but it is a detail that has been edited out of the DVD releases.

Often, relishing such insignificant details is an indication one has pierced the veil that separates "fans" from "fanatics."

Heh.

(pause)

I'm Peter Graves.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 21, 2016, 04:19:59 AM
That sucks that your local PBS didn't purchase this particular package.  For the last several weeks it has aired every Saturday 10 PM PT/Sunday Midnight CST. 

So far, the schedule has yet to repeat an episode. I don't know how many are going to be aired total, but I've already seen two episodes that I had never seen before, so it's been a Batgodsend for me.

But I have seen the giant grasshopper episode many times, and while I have episode 512 on the somewhat coveted Rhino version of the DVD,  I was still glad I tuned in.

(The reason the Rhino DVD is preferred by some is that it includes both the MST3K episode and the uncut and unriffed version of the featured film.)

So why watch it on television via antenna?

Because it's there is always a good enough reason, but the surprise at the end really made it worth it.

Just when I thought the episode was completely over, a bumper of Penn Gillette's voice came on and informed me that I had been watching Comedy Central.  Comedy Central's logo flashed and pinged to prove it.

It's a small detail, but it is a detail that has been edited out of the DVD releases.

Often, relishing such insignificant details is an indication one has pierced the veil that separates "fans" from "fanatics."

Heh.

(pause)

I'm Peter Graves.

It's interesting that PBS appears to be using versions recorded from Comedy Central. I wonder if they made a deal with CC or are just hoping nobody will notice.

I think I mentioned this before, but I still have something like 80-100 of the CC shows on VHS and the commercial breaks are nifty little pop culture time capsules.

ItsOver

Heads up.  Escape from all the BellGab intrigue and sewage and enjoy a few laughs tonight.  We can't expect Jorch to provide them all.

RiffTrax Live 2016: Time Chasers! MST3K Reunion!
RiffTrax Live is a shared comedy experience where Mike, Kevin and Bill "riff" a film LIVE onstage and it is broadcast LIVE via satellite feed to hundreds of movie theaters coast to coast.

Join Mike, Kevin and Bill for a hilarious new take on the original cut of this MST fan-favorite subject Thursday, May 5th (with an encore broadcast Tuesday, May 17th.)

Ah, the glory days of Comedy Central.  Being a young kid and watching MST3K.

Last Saturday night, local PBS aired MST3K/Manos:The Hands of Fate.

My television set became as unto a burned out cinder of rebellious melting circuitry.