• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

trostol

Quote from: Coffeeman on January 14, 2016, 09:18:08 PM
I tried, but it was a little dumbed down for me. Or it seemed like it. I couldn't really get into any session I'd start, whereas I had some serious "just one more turn" addiction wih Civ IV. The hexagonal grid system was pretty neat, though.

4 had a great mod...Fall from Heaven II

Dr. MD MD

If you want to hear an interesting but intense video game story check out: http://www.radiolab.org/story/cathedral/
You might want to have some tissues handy for this one though.

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 16, 2016, 07:23:50 PM
If you want to hear an interesting but intense video game story check out: http://www.radiolab.org/story/cathedral/

think i remember reading about that

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 16, 2016, 07:23:50 PM
No kidding. I haven't gamed in some time (have a few on my 'smart' phone but stuff like scrabble, chess, and card games) aside from the old games (Vectrex and stand-up with 'super' chip. And those less and less actually. Though a late night marathon with friends sometimes is done after a challenge and beers.) But I never was a master and, to me, most of the old games (again, to me) you could never win. Missile Command on Atari comes to mind instantly. No matter how 'good' you were your cities die. Game over. Are all these 'steam' or whatever PS4 games something that you can win? It would seem, from watching younger relatives, that one can save stuff, have unlimited lives, and so forth. Not realistic- although the graphics are--- holy shit- I really thought it was a REAL baseball game on one of his for a second!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on January 16, 2016, 08:24:25 PM
No kidding. I haven't gamed in some time (have a few on my 'smart' phone but stuff like scrabble, chess, and card games) aside from the old games (Vectrex and stand-up with 'super' chip. And those less and less actually. Though a late night marathon with friends sometimes is done after a challenge and beers.) But I never was a master and, to me, most of the old games (again, to me) you could never win. Missile Command on Atari comes to mind instantly. No matter how 'good' you were your cities die. Game over. Are all these 'steam' or whatever PS4 games something that you can win? It would seem, from watching younger relatives, that one can save stuff, have unlimited lives, and so forth. Not realistic- although the graphics are--- holy shit- I really thought it was a REAL baseball game on one of his for a second!

Sure, the early arcade games were never designed to be won, only to suck more quarters. Which is why winning for some of the better arcade players in the early days meant breaking the game in some way. I believe both Pac Man and Donkey Kong do this at some point but yeah, certain games like Asteroids and Missile Command were never meant to be beaten, it's just a matter of how long you could survive on that one token. I still like those games as a frustrating challenge but never get too far either. I find it's best to play them with the original controller intended. I won't play Missile Command without a trackball. Fortunately, I do have one. I don't know if you've ever heard of the sequel to Missile Command called Liberator but it's a trackball game as well from the perspective of the invaders trying to take over earth. It's not quite as much fun as Missile Command but is interesting and a challenge. I think Gravitar still rules supreme though  ;)

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 16, 2016, 08:46:18 PM
... winning for some of the better arcade players in the early days meant breaking the game in some way. I believe both Pac Man and Donkey Kong do this at some point...

Right, the final screen of both of these can't quite fit into memory so they're somewhat garbled.  I think in pac-man like half the screen is blank but still operational - the final challenge towards that perfect game.  Check out the fun documentary King of Kong for a scene showing Donkey Kong's final screen.   8)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on January 17, 2016, 12:09:38 AM
Right, the final screen of both of these can't quite fit into memory so they're somewhat garbled.  I think in pac-man like half the screen is blank but still operational - the final challenge towards that perfect game.  Check out the fun documentary King of Kong for a scene showing Donkey Kong's final screen.   8)

Seen it. That Billy Mitchell is such a sleezeball whereas that baseball guy was just like, "Hey guys, can I join your club?" Sad. That one almost made me feel ashamed for liking video games. I got over it  ;)

Quote from: trostol on January 12, 2016, 07:56:08 PM
bout to start up Witcher 3

Witcher 3 is epic.  Wish I had time to get around to playing it.

trostol

Quote from: Emergency Bacon on January 17, 2016, 02:43:04 PM
Witcher 3 is epic.  Wish I had time to get around to playing it.

i sent it back...i just couldnt ..get into starting over again...will have to put it back on my pc and pick up from where i left off

trostol

Fallout 4? each character have its own save files separate from the other character or are they all together?

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on January 25, 2016, 01:11:12 AM
Fallout 4? each character have its own save files separate from the other character or are they all together?

What are you asking?

trostol

Quote from: norland2424 on January 25, 2016, 01:12:39 AM
What are you asking?

ok..first char..has saves..i am making a new character..does it have its own saves listed separately or will all the saves be mixed together..ie does each character have its own save profile

Jackstar

I am having trouble getting into Witcher 3. I want to like it, and I certainly admire it, but every time I turn it on, I just stand around playing Gwent.

Help me out. Where's the nearest +12 sword?

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on January 25, 2016, 01:22:14 AM
ok..first char..has saves..i am making a new character..does it have its own saves listed separately or will all the saves be mixed together..ie does each character have its own save profile

Each character has its own save profile, its like mass effect, when you are on the start menu and click on load it will let you switch from characters

trostol

Quote from: norland2424 on January 25, 2016, 01:27:07 AM
Each character has its own save profile, its like mass effect, when you are on the start menu and click on load it will let you switch from characters

ahjh..kool..thats exactly what i was wondering...i really need to get back to ME lol

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on January 25, 2016, 01:28:12 AM
ahjh..kool..thats exactly what i was wondering...i really need to get back to ME lol

Witcher 2 special edition is free on xbox live right now too, doesn't matter if you have a gold account, just go to the xbox.com , you click it and it gets added to your download list for either 360 or xb1

trostol

Quote from: norland2424 on January 25, 2016, 01:31:33 AM
Witcher 2 special edition is free on xbox live right now too, doesn't matter if you have a gold account, just go to the xbox.com , you click it and it gets added to your download list for either 360 or xb1

yeah grabbed that ..though i wasnt a fan of it lol

Hautex

Quote from: Jackstar on January 25, 2016, 01:25:51 AM
I am having trouble getting into Witcher 3. I want to like it, and I certainly admire it, but every time I turn it on, I just stand around playing Gwent.

Help me out. Where's the nearest +12 sword?
I also am becoming the king of Gwent... but am eager to get the next add-on... supposed to be 1st quarter 2016... so where is it?  getting carpel thumb syndrome from all the golf...

Jackstar

Quote from: Hautex on January 25, 2016, 05:11:37 PM
getting carpel thumb syndrome from all the golf...

Hold the fuckin' phone. Are you telling me that Witcher 3 has fuckin' golf?

Hautex

You men you missed the hidden golf game in there?   unbelievable!!!! (just kidding, I am addicted to "The Golf Club")

GaborSweden

Quote from: Jackstar on January 28, 2016, 07:03:43 AM

hahaha  ,,, ))

i was think on same game ,,,,,   system shock 2 ,

Name rememberer me  system shock === error system..

Dos  === black space

Shock are === we have be here before  .

We are flying ,  in space

delete =  We dont remember

Look at your computer keyboard  )))  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Monky arm are not so stupid , )))

zeebo

Haha, Gabor!  Good to see you.  Maybe pound sign # = pancakes?  ;) 

ok. so.... i've been using Steam for a few years now. mostly for the elder scrolls series and some fps games. now having quit WOW after years and years of playing it, i was in the market for something new. Tera was recommended as a fun one to play so i started an account. the character models (female)...... i'm so going to jail.  :o  ;D  ;)

trostol

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on February 01, 2016, 04:09:36 PM
ok. so.... i've been using Steam for a few years now. mostly for the elder scrolls series and some fps games. now having quit WOW after years and years of playing it, i was in the market for something new. Tera was recommended as a fun one to play so i started an account. the character models (female)...... i'm so going to jail.  :o  ;D  ;)

Tera wasnt bad...if you like star trek..STO isnt bad at all really..in fact its one of the top free MMO's

Quote from: trostol on February 01, 2016, 04:18:10 PM
Tera wasnt bad...if you like star trek..STO isnt bad at all really..in fact its one of the top free MMO's

i have had that one (STO) since it's release when it was sub based. have not played it for awhile. tried Aion...blah. age of conan unchained...blah. reinstalled neverwinter after a long time away and have not checked it out yet.

don't get me wrong on wow. i was with it since 2004. burning crusade was ok, but all the latest expansions slowly killed it for me and i gave it up. people became very unfriendly over time.

i've seen so many of my favorite online games killed by developers. right now Tribes Ascend is my biggest rant worthy game in that regard.  >:(

Jackstar

I'm considering this lately. The buzz around it seems real legit.

https://youtu.be/SPMMKFX78x0

trostol

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on February 01, 2016, 04:54:37 PM
i have had that one (STO) since it's release when it was sub based. have not played it for awhile. tried Aion...blah. age of conan unchained...blah. reinstalled neverwinter after a long time away and have not checked it out yet.

don't get me wrong on wow. i was with it since 2004. burning crusade was ok, but all the latest expansions slowly killed it for me and i gave it up. people became very unfriendly over time.

i've seen so many of my favorite online games killed by developers. right now Tribes Ascend is my biggest rant worthy game in that regard.  >:(

played WoW up through Panda land then i just said enough is enough..STO i play occasionally...it is way better then it was at launch and as far as i can see..the free model limits you nothing save maybe some money you can have..honestly it and Neverwinter might be the best free ones in terms of you get a lot for nothing..LOTRO also gives you a lot for nothing but there is also a lot locked behind the pay wall