• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Kingdom of Nye With Heather Wade

Started by SergeantMajor, June 05, 2018, 03:38:31 PM

Should this thread be stickied?

No
Yes

Voting closes: November 02, 2045, 02:04:40 AM

Lilith

I'll catch the discussion on the imagery when I get back.

I'm looking forward to it.

Spookcat

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 20, 2019, 09:03:13 AM
Yeah that was a dry run, testing the theory whereby a Sherman tank can be turned by systematically tossing pebbles under a single track.

It was when I began to suggest that the duck might actually have been tasty (a position I still hold, by the way) and that the cast-iron cookware (high-maintenance, but worth it) denoted a serious home cook that interest seemed to flag.  I tend to forget that, in a culture raised on cartoon villains, our enemies must dine on pig snouts and porcupines and be sent to bed without any dessert.

I've never had duck, so I really wouldn't know either way. I'm afraid I'm not very adventurous with meat products.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Spookcat on September 20, 2019, 09:12:08 AM
I've never had duck, so I really wouldn't know either way. I'm afraid I'm not very adventurous with meat products.

Well I have never cooked one but I have eaten my share, many of which looked about like that.  They are greasy little birds.

I think most people looked at it never having eaten one and reached, for analogy, back to the usual turkey or chicken which, in the breast at least, are very lean.  In this country we live in horror of the dry breast, devising all kinds of ridiculous methods to preserve it like cooking in a plastic bag (might as well put it in a giant crock pot -- this is just boiled dinner) or injecting it with juice (usually already done for you by the Butterball plant) or brining (which I've never understood; a salty liquid will pull out moisture by osmosis, as we all learned in physics).

We no longer know how to roast a large animal, or are perhaps too lazy, or value it too little, to do it properly.  Our ancestors knew that by rotating it (on a spit, or by regularly flipping it I suppose) and basting with drippings the fat (which is the glory of the beast and infinitely tastier than the water and serum and plasma or whatever fluids we so desperately try to preserve that are really the enemy of crispiness) can be relied upon to trickle by gravity through the innards, sufficiently lubricating the whole.  Some leaner parts concealed in the depths of the animal may suffer but that is a small sacrifice for a true, golden, succulent roast.

In the past, young children were often responsible for turning and basting as it is menial drudgery but the fact that mothers were willing to risk burns and worse to their little darlings should tell us what the effort is worth.

K_Dubb

I should also mention the technique of larding, where strips of fat (usually pork, called lardons) were painstakingly inserted into lean parts of the animal with special needles to make sure they were equally tasty.

Lilith

The Hermit discussion is worth listening to more than once IMO.

Lilith

With all that said so far about your show with Winter Laake so far Heather, your chronic technical issues are MORE than distracting, and my best advice would be to hire a professional to be with you in the studio when you're on the air.  That's my best, most sincere advice to you.

#ICouldBeWrong

Lilith

Another thing I think, is that breaking the rythm of a discussion for an unnecessary, fake break, is something your show would be much better off without.  If you, or your guest need to take a "water break", do so, and put on a tune for your listeners during that time.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 20, 2019, 10:25:16 AM
Well I have never cooked one but I have eaten my share, many of which looked about like that.  They are greasy little birds.

I think most people looked at it never having eaten one and reached, for analogy, back to the usual turkey or chicken which, in the breast at least, are very lean.  In this country we live in horror of the dry breast, devising all kinds of ridiculous methods to preserve it like cooking in a plastic bag (might as well put it in a giant crock pot -- this is just boiled dinner) or injecting it with juice (usually already done for you by the Butterball plant) or brining (which I've never understood; a salty liquid will pull out moisture by osmosis, as we all learned in physics).

We no longer know how to roast a large animal, or are perhaps too lazy, or value it too little, to do it properly.  Our ancestors knew that by rotating it (on a spit, or by regularly flipping it I suppose) and basting with drippings the fat (which is the glory of the beast and infinitely tastier than the water and serum and plasma or whatever fluids we so desperately try to preserve that are really the enemy of crispiness) can be relied upon to trickle by gravity through the innards, sufficiently lubricating the whole.  Some leaner parts concealed in the depths of the animal may suffer but that is a small sacrifice for a true, golden, succulent roast.

In the past, young children were often responsible for turning and basting as it is menial drudgery but the fact that mothers were willing to risk burns and worse to their little darlings should tell us what the effort is worth.
Hawaiians and folks in the South still do pig roasts. And, of course, BBQ is very popular here and elsewhere though usually you are doing only cuts of meat- but that is practicality cattle are heavy! And certain cuts are better than other parts or ways of cooking. And for wild hogs, deer, etc certain parts are better meat because others can be tough and gamey. Mexicans here also make stuff with the heads, barbacoa, which is excellent (though US law provides that you can't do it commercially usually the traditional technique of burial fire) and some old timers still make headcheese. Knuckles are smoked (Germans) or pickled (Southern US.) Tongue (Lingua) is popular with Mexicans as is tripe (menudo a popular hang-over cure.) And intestines are used in which to stuff sausage. And you know all the ways to Norskies eat their animals and animal parts. I regret that many in the US neglect some many parts of the animal that can be quite tasty. 

Goose is harder to cook than duck, I think. At least wild geese. Very fatty and larger.

Somehow the Heather thread became the game cooking thread. Nice job K_Dubb.

Quote from: albrecht on September 20, 2019, 05:30:22 PM

Somehow the Heather thread became the game cooking thread. Nice job K_Dubb.

It was a nice job but that was then.  What has he done over there lately?  One quick linguistic drive in probably many months.
I've tried a bit with tales from the office on occasion but in the end have accomplished even less than oily duck-gate. 

pate

Fuque-a-duck, goose is easy to cook.  The hard part is getting the feathers off while leaving the skin (messy) and cleaning the grease out of the smoker after (messy).

I once smoked three of them Canadian bastiges, delicious but Not Sure it was worth the effort...

+1

#fiendship

Catsmile

#MoarPhoneTroubles
#GoodThingHeaterFixedThePhones
# ::)

#WoW!
#6Minutes
#MARK!

# Storm Area 51 Canceled Because Lack Of Permit

# Have Heater Sign Somethin'.
#AskHerToSighItCholoSizzle

Morgus

Heather just commented on the Area 51 event earlier today that ended up less than 100 people who just went up to the gate and took photos.
She says she still plans to do her own Area 51 invasion event in the future...

Catsmile

Quote from: Morgus on September 20, 2019, 10:09:00 PM
Heather just commented on the Area 51 event earlier today that ended up less than 100 people who just went up to the gate and took photos.
She says she still plans to do her own Area 51 invasion event in the future...

#LameHeater

Catsmile

#OhNozTheHaxorz!
#TheyAreBack
#AttackingHerStream
#CYBERPOLICE!!
#CYBERPOLICE!!

# Maybe Heater Can Play Us A Few Games Of Solitaire OnnaAir Live.
#HeaterDoesn'tWannaTootHerOwnHorn,ButShesPrettyGood@It.

# Heater Wants To Do The 4 Card Draw...
#How About 5 Card Stud?

Morgus

Heather admits that her first job was taking phone calls on the "Miss Cleo" $4.99/min phony psychic line...

Catsmile

Quote from: Morgus on September 20, 2019, 10:21:45 PM
Heather admits that her first job was taking phone calls on the "Miss Cleo" $4.99/min phony psychic line...

#HeaterDoingSomethingShady
#I'mShook!

Morgus

Reports to Heather that there is some audio problems noted tonight - more tech problems!

Catsmile

Quote from: Morgus on September 20, 2019, 10:34:54 PM
Reports to Heather that there is some audio problems noted tonight - more tech problems!

#HeatersGonnaPutHerLeftFootDownToo!
#She'llPlayAReplay
#InsteadOfDealingWithHerTechIssues
#Hurmp!
#PoorHeater

#WoW!Times2
#41Minutes
#MARK!

#TarotReadings...
#SpeakingWithoutSayingAnything
#KingdomOfVague

Morgus

Heather's first tarot reading for a caller on the air now - its a bad one, the Heartbreak and Dissappointment cards, plus the High Priestess...

Catsmile

Quote from: brig on September 20, 2019, 10:43:37 PM
Sorry I'm late.  :'(

#YouShouldBeSorry
#AllYou'veMissed
#BoredToTearsAlso

#ZackOnnaLine

Lilith

Quote from: Morgus on September 20, 2019, 10:40:50 PM
Heather's first tarot reading for a caller on the air now - its a bad one, the Heartbreak and Dissappointment cards, plus the High Priestess...

She sounds like she's enjoying it.

Lilith

Quote from: Morgus on September 20, 2019, 10:34:54 PM

I've heard a few drops.

Catsmile

#ZackIsCuriousAboutTouchingAWomanOtherThanHisMother.
#EyeDon'tNeedNoCardsToDivineThat

#HolyShitHeatersBeenYammeringAndSaidNothing
#ThatFuckingLaugh
#HeaterStillHasIt
#WhatTheClap?

#IDon'tThinkHavingZackAroundChildrenIsAGoodIdea
#EyeCouldBeeWrong

Lilith

Can you imagine your substitute teacher having a voice like that?

Catsmile

Quote from: brig on September 20, 2019, 10:56:46 PM
Can you imagine your substitute teacher having a voice like that?

#CanYouImagineHavingYourChildBeingAroundThat?
#StrangerDangerChills

Morgus

This caller claims he is a psychic and has info on Heather's cat "Ghost" and that his original name was "Smokey" and he was lost.

Lilith

I'm hearing that intermittent scratching sound again.  It reminds me of a needle sliding across an LP.