• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Gemology, Minerology, and Lapidary

Started by (Sandman) Logan-5, March 23, 2016, 12:49:42 PM

starrmtn001

Cascade Canyon - Lapis Lazuli - Mt. Baldy, CA

https://youtu.be/QkMTLtimjHI

I had hiked Cascade Canyon (almost) to the Lapis mine when I lived on Mt Baldy.  Got as far as the wild blackberry patch then had to turn around.

There are three waterfalls, between the lapis mine and Cascade Canyon.  The waterfalls feed into Cascade Creek which feeds into San Antonio Creek, the primary water supply for the Ontario Dam.

Though I never made it to the mine proper, I was still able to collect some stones.  Lapis continuously washes down Cascade Creek into San Antonio Creek.  Excellent occurrences can be found in these waterways.

ShayP

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on September 16, 2016, 03:23:25 PM
Do you have a set of hardness picks ?

heh heh

...sorry, couldn't help myself.  :-\  ;)  ;D

Hey, that's pretty cool Rix. I usually don't see them with so many so close together. Nice. :)

ShayP

Here's a pic of a meteorite fragment I found about 10 years ago.  I took it to be verified and it is indeed a meteorite.  I still get excited knowing I have something from outer space.  8)   I believe it's called a 'fresh stone meteorite.'

Quote from: starrmtn001 on September 16, 2016, 04:17:36 PM
Cascade Canyon - Lapis Lazuli - Mt. Baldy, CA

https://youtu.be/QkMTLtimjHI

I had hiked Cascade Canyon (almost) to the Lapis mine when I lived on Mt Baldy.  Got as far as the wild blackberry patch then had to turn around.

There are three waterfalls, between the lapis mine and Cascade Canyon.  The waterfalls feed into Cascade Creek which feeds into San Antonio Creek, the primary water supply for the Ontario Dam.

Though I never made it to the mine proper, I was still able to collect some stones.  Lapis continuously washes down Cascade Creek into San Antonio Creek.  Excellent occurrences can be found in these waterways.
Those Blackberry patches are the reason Denim was invented. ;) Wild blackberries are delicious.
I never knew there were Lapis deposits in CA, and from the pics you posted, some damn nice ones too. Apparently, that area is a mineralogical treasure trove containing Lapis Lazuli, Corundum (mainly rubies), garnet, diopside, tremolite, forsterite (rare), sodic amphibole, lazurite, fushite, and other minerals. Approximately 20 different minerals can be found within a 2 mile radius. http://www.mindat.org/article.php/1575/History+of+Cascade+Canyon+Lapis+and+Corundum+Deposits%2C+San+Gabriel+Mountains%2C+CA

http://wheretofindrocks.com/cascade-canyon-ruby-crystals-a-los-angeles-hidden-gem/

Thanks for the post starr.  :-*

Addendum: http://www.mindat.org/locdetailed-28245.html

Quote from: ShayP on September 16, 2016, 04:25:03 PM
heh heh

...sorry, couldn't help myself.  :-\  ;)  ;D
It's hardness picks, not hardness pricks.  ;D ;D ;D

Mega-D's

Quote from: ShayP on September 16, 2016, 04:45:11 PM
Here's a pic of a meteorite fragment I found about 10 years ago.  I took it to be verified and it is indeed a meteorite.  I still get excited knowing I have something from outer space.  8)   I believe it's called a 'fresh stone meteorite.'
Cool. :)
Confirmed not to be a meteorwrong and hit the EArth recently.
That's awesome Shay.

starrmtn001

Say, Logan, do Time Crystals qualify for this thread? :o ;D

There's A New Form Of Matter That Exists In Four Dimensions!

https://youtu.be/TjVi5L7cYLQ

Yes they do. :)
In fact the first thing I though of when I saw the title was quantum computing, and what do you know...     heh, heh, heh.
Good find Starr.  ;)

Jackstar

What can be done with richterite? Asking for a friend.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Jackstar ℗ on March 13, 2017, 01:35:26 PM
What can be done with richterite? Asking for a friend.
For your friend:
https://www.metaphysicalrealm1.com/richterite1.html
Yellow Richterite works in the glands, glands, glands--will clean up the thyroid, hypothalamus, pineal, etc. I like it for hormone imbalances as well.

You may find this interesting as well: ;)
http://meanings.crystalsandjewelry.com/richterite/
Richterite is a stone of calmness, relaxation, and strength. It is said to help lessen the "fight or flight" syndrome associated with PTSD.

HumanBeing

Well I just found this thread.
I recently discovered I like quartz crystals  ;D a lot and want to learn more about it.
I also found out that using that ebay auction format can be addictive. I've already received about 20 quartz crystal rocks that I ordered from ebay.
I still have about 45 more packages coming from all parts of the world, mainly China though  ;D

Just looking over this thread and the in-depth posts by Sandman it gave me PTSD because it reminded me of some long ass mathematical numerical analysis theorems.
I don't see myself getting that deep into mineralogy. But I can appreciate the amount of information available. Sandman must have a University degree in Geology or something similar :D What a nerd  ;)

I'm all about the metaphysical properties. Atlantis, Lemuria 8) Ancient civilizations. But hey if the quartz crystal looks gorgeous as well that is a bonus.
I used a few different types of quartz crystals while meditating, and while I admit it could be a placebo effect, so far it seems to help get me into that meditative space quicker and in general enhanced the overall experience. Well either way, I'm loving it.

zeebo

Quote from: HumanBeing on May 04, 2018, 03:46:02 PM
Sandman must have a University degree in Geology or something similar :D What a nerd  ;)

Sandman is much missed around here.  Very bright and all-around good guy.  I always imagined him working in some secret underground research facility, sneaking out on breaks to make bellgab posts via a hacked sat phone.

HumanBeing

Quote from: zeebo on May 04, 2018, 04:30:21 PM
Sandman is much missed around here.  Very bright and all-around good guy.  I always imagined him working in some secret underground research facility, sneaking out on breaks to make bellgab posts via a hacked sat phone.

They always come back :D  He'll be hanging out in Hoagland's Other Side of Midnight thread before you know it.
Well unless he has passed on. Like the incomparable FortRock, leader of the Scorpion Army   :-X

Well I just found this thread.
I recently discovered I like quartz crystals  ;D a lot and want to learn more about it.
I also found out that using that ebay auction format can be addictive. I've already received about 20 quartz crystal rocks that I ordered from ebay.
Did you get any Rutilated, or Tourmilated quartz. I have about 2 Lbs of rough, of each (Crystal, not white). I cut, carve, and polish them myself.

Here's an example of what they look like (not mine) in a finished stone.

Golden shards - Rutile
Black shards - Tourmaline

If you want to give it a try yourself - cutting your own - it's much cheaper, after the initial investment. Buy the rough yourself, you can get higher quality material and cut it into (Metaphysical) shapes. Lapidary machines are expensive, but I started out on an Inland swap-top flat lap machine  (with the saw attachment.) It's excellent for small stones and the best bang for the buck if you're just starting out. It's a pretty tough little machine too.

(Believe it or not, ETSY is a good place to look for reasonably priced rough, or finished stones.)

I still have about 45 more packages coming from all parts of the world, mainly China though  ;D

Just looking over this thread and the in-depth posts by Sandman it gave me PTSD because it reminded me of some long ass mathematical numerical analysis theorems.

LOL - yeah, I've had people tell me that before.  ;)
But, just gloss over the stuff you have difficulty with, or search it out, if you want to.
Lapidary, metaphysics, or any discipline should be fun, as well as useful.   :)

Quartz is a general purpose energy enhancer, piezoelectric, and has many purposes and uses.
I've found that certain crystals, or minerals will 'call out' to you. You'll know it as soon as you see them, or are in their presence.
I knew instantly when I saw the blue apatite from Hawaii, I had to have some. This was well before the prices skyrocketed.  Beautiful crystals.   :)  Properties of Apatite

Ebay auctions are very, VERY, addictive  - heh, heh, heh.
(I know what you're talking about.)

I don't see myself getting that deep into mineralogy. But I can appreciate the amount of information available. Sandman must have a University degree in Geology or something similar :D What a nerd  ;)
LOL - Thanks.     ;)
(Chicks dig nerds)    ;D

I'm all about the metaphysical properties. Atlantis, Lemuria 8) Ancient civilizations. But hey if the quartz crystal looks gorgeous as well that is a bonus.
I used a few different types of quartz crystals while meditating, and while I admit it could be a placebo effect, so far it seems to help get me into that meditative space quicker and in general enhanced the overall experience. Well either way, I'm loving it.
Lie back and place the crystal over your 3rd eye, then try meditating. (Cleanse the crystal first, unless you already have it charged.)     ;)

I'm pretty sure I dropped this link before, but this is a good site for research on the mineral aspect, with lots of pics.   ;)   

https://www.minerals.net/mineralimages/a.aspx

This is cool...
Have you ever seen a Labradorite countertop ?

Or how about a MoonStone sink ?