• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Most hated radio commercials anyone?

Started by rolindos, August 22, 2011, 02:21:30 PM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 07, 2015, 07:14:55 PM

C'mon, you're just going to trot out your usual "68" routine, aren't you?  You know, the old  "You take care of me and I'll owe you one, luv."  Have you ever gotten a woman to fall for that dodge?

Hundreds. When I say hundreds I mean a few dozen. Well;when I say a few dozen I really mean maybe five or six. Okay, maybe nearer one or two.

I'm not sure how many. But it might work.

Quote from: yumyumtree on February 07, 2015, 04:13:32 PM
Since talk radio advertises so much Valentines junk this time of year, I though you guys might want some advice from a real woman. Naturally I don't speak for all women, but I probably speak for a high percentage of them.

Shari's Berries and other candies. Since the majority of women, especially over 30, have weight issues, don't get them candy unless they have asked for it. Especially if you are one of those "no fat chicks" types who insists that women stay in really good shape, this is cruel and sends mixed messages. For me personally, I prefer 100 Proof Southern Comfort, which I know has a lot of calories, but at least you can get drunk on it.  This may have some side benefits for you, as well.

Vermont Teddy Bears and other stuffed toys. NO, unless she is a stuffed toy type of gal, and you will already know if she is, by taking a look around her house.  Remember the Cheers episode where Sam has issues with Diane's stuffed animals?

Flowers.  Most women, not all, but most do like cut flowers. Those who don't may like a potted  plant or flower unless she has a black thumb, which you will be able to guess, again, by looking around her house or apartment.  Not all women like roses best, though.  Daffodils can be very nice, and don't cost much. Lilies are poisonous to cats, so don't get those for a cat lady. If you don't know anything about the language of flowers, you may want to bone up or risk a gaffe.  For example, red roses mean love, but yellow roses mean friendship.

Hope this has been helpful.  Jack Daniels is also nice.

Now I remember why I'm a bachelor  ;).

Personally, I prefer Jim Beam. But anything with the word bourbon on the label works for me.   8)

wr250

Quote from: Treading Water on February 08, 2015, 09:17:34 AM

Personally, I prefer Jim Beam. But anything with the word bourbon on the label works for me.   8)
even some old thompson?
description:
Old Thompson American Whiskey. This mean bastard is a blend of whiskey and neutral grain spirits (i.e., tanker-truck vodka), and it's utterly worthless. OT is the rare American whiskey that doesn't even show off any cheap corn sweetness. It's monotonously evil in a way that's hard to describe other than by noting it's earthy in the bad way, like a shiny mud puddle or a pissed mattress.

Quote from: wr250 on February 08, 2015, 09:23:04 AM
even some old thompson?
description:
Old Thompson American Whiskey. This mean bastard is a blend of whiskey and neutral grain spirits (i.e., tanker-truck vodka), and it's utterly worthless. OT is the rare American whiskey that doesn't even show off any cheap corn sweetness. It's monotonously evil in a way that's hard to describe other than by noting it's earthy in the bad way, like a shiny mud puddle or a pissed mattress.

Ewwwwww, you had me at "earthy in the bad way."   ;D

For V-Day, just invite your lady over and cook something good for her. Get the wine working beforehand (I suggest a nice Folie a Deux Sonoma Coast Pinot) with a good solid smoked Gouda (non-vegan ladies, of course).

If you`re fortunate enough to live in a beautiful area of the this magnificent country, as I do, you might find yourself on the deck under a star lit evening, warmed by a fire, listening to the surf rolling in.

Good luck, lads 8)

albrecht

Quote from: wr250 on February 08, 2015, 09:23:04 AM
even some old thompson?
description:
As I recall products like "Kentucky Deluxe" can't call themselves bourbon (or was it "straight bourbon")  because they are vodka (grain neutral spirits) "blended" with a bit of whiskey or in some cases vodka with some caramel coloring. Yuck! If I want vodka I want vodka. If I want whiskey I want whiskey.

Heather Wade

Since talk radio advertises so much Valentines junk this time of year, I though you guys might want some advice from a real woman. Naturally I don't speak for all women, but I probably speak for a high percentage of them.

Shari's Berries and other candies. Since the majority of women, especially over 30, have weight issues, don't get them candy unless they have asked for it. Especially if you are one of those "no fat chicks" types who insists that women stay in really good shape, this is cruel and sends mixed messages. For me personally, I prefer 100 Proof Southern Comfort, which I know has a lot of calories, but at least you can get drunk on it.  This may have some side benefits for you, as well.

Vermont Teddy Bears and other stuffed toys. NO, unless she is a stuffed toy type of gal, and you will already know if she is, by taking a look around her house.  Remember the Cheers episode where Sam has issues with Diane's stuffed animals?

Flowers.  Most women, not all, but most do like cut flowers. Those who don't may like a potted  plant or flower unless she has a black thumb, which you will be able to guess, again, by looking around her house or apartment.  Not all women like roses best, though.  Daffodils can be very nice, and don't cost much. Lilies are poisonous to cats, so don't get those for a cat lady. If you don't know anything about the language of flowers, you may want to bone up or risk a gaffe.  For example, red roses mean love, but yellow roses mean friendship.

Agreed on all points here.  A few years ago a guy brought me a huge bouquet of stargazer lilies, which I had to throw away.  Had just been given a kitten at the time, who, to this day, is fascinated with flowers and always tries to eat them. 

A real valentines gift?  Clean her house or draw her a bath surrounded with scented candles.  And please know, some girls fucking hate pink.   :-*

Cynnie

and, if you are in a relationship that combines all their assets , and you're usually struggling to pay bills .
Do NOT buy some extravagant present . All this does is stress the fuck out of a woman
Give her a snickers and a foot rub and you'll be a god

zeebo

Anyone else find those Vermont teddy bear TV ads kind of creepy?  There's one where it looks like that oversized plushy bear is getting in on some threesome action.

Cynnie

Quote from: zeebo on February 08, 2015, 02:30:17 PM
Anyone else find those Vermont teddy bear TV ads kind of creepy?  There's one where it looks like that oversized plushy bear is getting in on some threesome action.

I hate stuffed animals ..I have never understood the allure

Quote from: zeebo on February 08, 2015, 02:30:17 PM

I wouldn't purchase one of those gawdy, cheap synthetic fluff bags if my very eternal soul depended upon it.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 08, 2015, 02:37:27 PM
I wouldn't purchase one of those gawdy, cheap synthetic fluff bags if my very eternal soul depended upon it.

Well, after your last post....I can probably guarantee that you would never have to.   ;)

zeebo

I must be doing something wrong with my romantic meals.  When I offer the babes a classy Miller Lite, it's properly chilled and served in a nice clean plastic keg cup, ya know, elegant style.  And the pretzels in my dollar-store bowl are always fresh and crunchy.  Sometimes I even fry up some of my Spam appetizers for 'em, but still they don't swoon. 

wr250

Quote from: zeebo on February 08, 2015, 04:12:11 PM
I must be doing something wrong with my romantic meals.  When I offer the babes a classy Miller Lite, it's properly chilled and served in a nice clean plastic keg cup, ya know, elegant style.  And the pretzels in my dollar-store bowl are always fresh and crunchy.  Sometimes I even fry up some of my Spam appetizers for 'em, but still they don't swoon.

i always figured you to be the type to offer a assorted nuts dinner. a few acorns , black walnuts , pecans, etc.

zeebo

Quote from: wr250 on February 08, 2015, 04:16:25 PM
i always figured you to be the type to offer a assorted nuts dinner. a few acorns , black walnuts , pecans, etc.

I only break out the good stuff if there's serious relationship potential.   :D

Catsmile

Quote from: Cynnie on February 08, 2015, 02:33:55 PM

I hate stuffed animals ..I have never understood the allure

Well... if you can't go horseback riding, a stuffed animal will do in a "pinch."

Catsmile

Quote from: Treading Water on February 08, 2015, 03:43:27 PM

Well, after your last post....I can probably guarantee that you would never have to.   ;)

yumyumtree

I was somewhat disheartened when Jack Daniels stopped being 86 proof.  Most Montanans, like me, like a good Canadian whisky, too.

I don't know if Vermont teddy Bears are creepy--actually the workmanship is probably pretty good.  But people are either the stuffed animal type or not. And most adult women probably are not, truth be told.

I just think it's amusing to hear some of these radio hosts shilling for these products, especially Michael Savage for Shari's Berries.  In real life, he holds chocolate in low esteem.  He can't hate on caffeine because I think Rockstar(owned by his son, Russell Weiner) has a lot of it.

yumyumtree

Quote from: The General on January 14, 2015, 06:54:55 PM
Ooh get the stinky dog away from me!

Remember that Dynovite saved Jake from being euthanized, and there's also Dynovite for cats.

albrecht

Quote from: yumyumtree on February 08, 2015, 05:22:53 PM
I was somewhat disheartened when Jack Daniels stopped being 86 proof.  Most Montanans, like me, like a good Canadian whisky, too.

Even worse- Old Granddad has recently gone down in proof and is now 80. And also hard to find the "Bottled In Bond" 100 proof. Anyone who drinks Jack Black, to me, is getting fleeced (Sorry Lemmy- I still love your music.) Notice that the price didn't drop when it went down to 80 proof (same as their green label stuff.) Why not? Federal excise taxes should've dropped and likely State taxes on it also? But that savings was not passed on to the consumer. If you like that taste and style then buy Evan Williams. Still at 86 proof and cheaper than Jack Black.

albrecht

My latest 'worst commerical' is this ABC news promo for some guy named David Muir (not sure on spelling.) Very annoying and features him talking in Spanish, clips of others news people saying his name, and what sounds like crowds of people screaming for him (ending with one shrill woman groupie yelling "Daaviid Muuuuir." Airs incessantly on WRKO.

yumyumtree

Do all these shaving commercials put anybody in mind of the "Butter Shave" on Seinfeld?

albrecht

Quote from: yumyumtree on February 17, 2015, 06:32:50 PM
Do all these shaving commercials put anybody in mind of the "Butter Shave" on Seinfeld?
At least Valentine's Day is over so we get a brief respite from the awful teddy bear, lingerie/sleepwear, flowers, and chocolate berry commercials! Now back to commercials for male impotence, shaving, diabetes, and alcohol/drug clinics!! And, "of course", CARNIVORA, DYNOVITE, and gold.

yumyumtree

Every time I hear "Texas Super Food" ads, I think how much better the raspberries, spinach, blueberries, etc., sound than the Superfood.  But to each his own, I guess.

pate

The "Good Morning America" commercial.

Myuck yah you doo!

Blech urp yew uunt!

Yucks sum gud!

intolerable...

zeebo

That condescending lady: "Who have you let down today?"  SHUT UP is who.

albrecht

"Are you a man? MANCORE EXTREME!" Sick of it, I tolerated the HGH stuff because it was Art and the shows were good and the commercials were not as loud and annoying. This "low T" and "Mancore," whatever that entails is getting very old and annoying. Almost as bad as some british bird who dares everyone to "go commando" because of a certain brand of toliet paper on tv. Stop it already.