• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

President Donald J. Trump

Started by The General, February 11, 2011, 01:33:34 AM

TigerLily

I'm bored with healthcare. Let's talk about Russia, wiretapping, million dollar weekends, tweets ...

Quote from: TigerLily on March 29, 2017, 01:39:03 AM
I'm bored with healthcare. Let's talk about Russia, wiretapping, million dollar weekends, tweets ...

I've been laying off politics.  I stopped listening to political talk radio last week and it has been nice. I posted a review of 2001: A Space Odyssey on The Bellgab Classic Playhouse thread.  I gave it a fair review but I was disappointed in the movie as a whole.

TigerLily

... insulting Intelligence agencies, praising Putin, $24 billion walls, budget cuts to State Department, budget increase of $54 billion to defense ...

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 29, 2017, 01:43:31 AM
I've been laying off politics.  I stopped listening to political talk radio last week and it has been nice. I posted a review of 2001: A Space Odyssey on The Bellgab Classic Playhouse thread.  I gave it a fair review but I was disappointed in the movie as a whole.

I read the book first. I think that helped. Probably much better seen on a big screen and high

....Hey! You're totally throwing me off-topic  >:(  :-*

TigerLily

Hey, 21.  Looks like we have the place to ourselves. Let's go watch a movie

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on March 29, 2017, 01:14:11 AM
As long as the medical services are in the private sector, subject to regulation - but not government run or subject to politically motivated price ''controls''.

Insurance co-ops, with subsidies, tax credits, tax deductions, etc are perfectly fine.

Why did I think you were for ''single-payer''?  Single-payer is a euphemism for a heavy handed European style system that the government herds everyone but the elites into.  The bureaucracy owns the facilities, decides what equipment to buy, what drugs it offers, hires and manages the doctors, nurses, and staff, and sets prices.

"Free market" insurers will assure premiums continue to rise, as they did prior to the ACA. We can no longer afford a middle-man, with their "administrative" costs, generous profits, bonuses for their executives, tax breaks, etc. And there's not enough insurers in the pool to make plans competitive.

This link has lots of info and FAQs that might dispel your "government herd" myths about single-payer.
http://www.pnhp.org/facts/single-payer-resources

Quote from: TigerLily on March 29, 2017, 01:52:54 AM
Hey, 21.  Looks like we have the place to ourselves. Let's go watch a movie

I'm about to pass out but I might be persuaded.   What do you have in mind?   Watched Fiddler On The Roof tonight.  That's my wife's favorite movie and I've grown to love it.  It bored the shit out of me when I saw it as a tyke at a drive-in back in California when it came out.

King Solomon's Mines is getting ready to come on TCM.  Nice location photography and Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr  are the leads.  Always liked Granger.  He was a very affable leading man.

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 29, 2017, 01:56:14 AM
I'm about to pass out but I might be persuaded.   What do you have in mind?   Watched Fiddler On The Roof tonight.  That's my wife's favorite movie and I've grown to love it.  It bored the shit out of me when I saw it as a tyke at a drive-in back in California when it came out.

I think that movie gets better every time I see it

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 29, 2017, 01:59:09 AM
King Solomon's Mines is getting ready to come on TCM.  Nice location photography and Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr  are the leads.  Always liked Granger.  He was a very affable leading man.

I believe that was his big break-out role in America. I love the tribal scenes, especially leading to the big showdown at the end

I think my headache medication is kicking in. I'm definitely up for King Solomon's Mines

Quote from: TigerLily on March 29, 2017, 02:01:54 AM
I think that movie gets better every time I see it

Yes it does.  I go through the gamut of emotions when I watch it.  That may be my favorite musical.

Quote from: TigerLily on March 29, 2017, 02:04:02 AM
I believe that was his big break-out role in America. I love the tribal scenes, especially leading to the big showdown at the end

I think my headache medication is kicking in. I'm definitely up for King Solomon's Mines

Haven't watched it in years.  I'm going to have to wait another time. I have it lying around here anyway. Glad you're feeling better.  :D

TigerLily

Thanks, sweetie. Sorry about the whole P.T. Barnum thing. Blame my headache. And Trump*

Quote from: TigerLily on March 29, 2017, 02:20:57 AM
Thanks, sweetie. Sorry about the whole P.T. Barnum thing. Blame my headache. And Trump*

It really is ok.  :D :D ;) Let Trump take the blame.  I'll let you in on something.  I loathed Trump.  I thought he was a slimy sleazeball.  I'm giving him a chance to prove his mettle as President.  So far, he's lived up to my expectations.

Meister_000

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on March 28, 2017, 09:03:58 PM
So those who worked factory jobs in the Midwest and didn't vote for Hilliary or for any of the third party candidates who combined recieved a whopping .04% of the popular vote are stupid?  Do you think there is something about their geographical location that causes their stupidity or maybe it's due to a massive amount of inbreeding that heretofore has gone unnoticed?  . . .

Yes, "stupid" (uneducated, old, bigoted, frightened, "Christian", whites) is a very big part of it. That, combined with Hillary/Dems not focusing enough time/energy in the mid-rust-belt states, plus Trump *lieing* to them massively that he was going to bring back 'the good old days" again, pretty much explains it -- their being seduced and hood-winked by a con-artist, that is.

QuoteWhat you fail to understand is that Trump's election, for better or for worse, is part of the rejection of establishment politics that is currently taking place in a number of countries where some form of elective government exists.  Your wholesale branding of those who chose to vote for Trump as stupid is an indication of your own lack of mental acuity.

No, it just highights the fact that ignorance, stupidity, bigotry, automation, and big-moneyed-cons aren't entirely unique to the the United States, and also that the true "assult" upon Western Ideals from the Far Right Nationalist (Fascist, Racist) horde is invading ALL of Western Civilization world-wide at this sad moment in history. You'all are far more dangerous than the imaginary coming "Glodal Caliphate" Muslim "problem", or Black or Mexican "problems", or Liberals "problem" or Press, or Science, or Arts, or Environmentatist, or Academia/University "Problems" combined. YOU(all) are the cancer! How are *you* ever to be "assimilated" BACK into civilized "Humanity" is the bigger question and "problem" facing the world and ALL of it's creatures right now and for some time yet to come! You are just as (factually) poisonous and a true threat to "The West" as those who you would claim are -- i.e. those you would collectively scapegoat and blame for all your "problems". YOU, are "The Barbarians", the ultimate Anti-Western Anti-Cultural, Heartless and "Godless" Heathen.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Meatie Pie on March 28, 2017, 10:32:26 PM
"Viable candidates" ... please, let's be serious.

They were both excrement and anyone paying attention knew it.

Like GWB, the popular-vote loser has a bedrock base of a third of the country (this would explain the 30s approval rating in the latest Gallup poll). The rest are the disaffected and others who don't want to adapt to a changing economy. You want to make this some grand historical movement - look, it's just not. Hope and Change was portrayed with similar pronouncements. See how that turned out.

Do you think that Bernie could have made the headway that he did and Trump could have defeated a field of 17 in the primaries and then go on to win the presidency if the elecftorate was happy with the political status quo?  The politicians who make up our congress are even less popular than the President.  It's less hope and change that people are looking for than it's their wanting a president who is responsive to their needs and will do the things that he said he would in his campaign speech which center on putting America first.  The current zeitgeist that made it possible for a billionaire reality show host and non politician to be elected to the presidency is indeed a movement that is unparalleled in American history.  If you think what's going on politically in this country is a flash in the pan or can be guaged by conventional standards and norms you are wrong.  A sea change has occurred in the body politic and reguardless of whether Trump succeeds or fails there will be no going back. 

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Meister_000 on March 29, 2017, 03:08:21 AM
Yes, "stupid" (uneducated, old, bigoted, frightened, "Christian", whites) is a very big part of it. That, combined with Hillary/Dems not focusing enough time/energy in the mid-rust-belt states, plus Trump *lieing* to them massively that he was going to bring back 'the good old days" again, pretty much explains it -- their being seduced and hood-winked by a con-artist, that is.

No, it just highights the fact that ignorance, stupidity, bigotry, automation, and big-moneyed-cons aren't entirely unique to the the United States, and also that the true "assult" upon Western Ideals from the Far Right Nationalist (Fascist, Racist) horde is invading ALL of Western Civilization world-wide at this sad moment in history. You'all are far more dangerous than the imaginary coming "Glodal Caliphate" Muslim "problem", or Black or Mexican "problems", or Liberals "problem" or Press, or Science, or Arts, or Environmentatist, or Academia/University "Problems" combined. YOU(all) are the cancer! How are *you* ever to be "assimilated" BACK into civilized "Humanity" is the bigger question and "problem" facing the world and ALL of it's creatures right now and for some time yet to come! You are just as (factually) poisonous and a true threat to "The West" as those who you would claim are -- i.e. those you would collectively scapegoat and blame for all your "problems". YOU, are "The Barbarians", the ultimate Anti-Western Anti-Cultural, Heartless and "Godless" Heathen.

Sorry, I don't speak jibberish.  It must be embarrassing to those who share your political views that someone so addle brained and emotionally unhinged as you presumes to speak for them. You have noticed haven't you that they ignore your posts so as not to be associated with your foolishness.  There's even a persistent rumor that you are a Trump plant whose assignment is to make leftists look even nuttier than they are.  Mission accomplished

Yes, "stupid" (uneducated, old, bigoted, frightened, "Christian", whites)...

But the left-wing fascists aren't bigoted at all

*lieing*

Or stupid

I thought we discussed this, and you were going to stick with bumper sticker slogans

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: TigerLily on March 29, 2017, 01:39:03 AM

How about Trump's non grasp of recent history? This was him yesterday.

Trump added that "our soldiers are fighting like never before" in Iraq, and praised what he characterized as a positive trajectory in the country.

No-one told him about 1991 or 2003. Damn them. Of course, he wasn't POTUS back then. That explains it.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/28/politics/trump-iraq-troops-comments/index.html

3OctaveFart

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on March 29, 2017, 03:40:59 AM
Do you think that Bernie could have made the headway that he did and Trump could have defeated a field of 17 in the primaries and then go on to win the presidency if the elecftorate was happy with the political status quo?  The politicians who make up our congress are even less popular than the President.  It's less hope and change that people are looking for than it's their wanting a president who is responsive to their needs and will do the things that he said he would in his campaign speech which center on putting America first.  The current zeitgeist that made it possible for a billionaire reality show host and non politician to be elected to the presidency is indeed a movement that is unparalleled in American history.  If you think what's going on politically in this country is a flash in the pan or can be guaged by conventional standards and norms you are wrong.  A sea change has occurred in the body politic and reguardless of whether Trump succeeds or fails there will be no going back.
I recall CHANGE!!!!!!!!! heralded from the mountaintops in 1992 and 2008 - funny how ephemeral that was. It was more stale than weeks-old Chinese leftovers an election cycle later.

And we will have CHANGE!!!!!!! in 2020, and I suspect more CHANGE!!!!! in 2024/28, and the sad loop goes on and on and on and we never learn a thing from it.

Here's an idea, crazy I know: Why don't we elect a fucking moderate to the office for the first time in forever. Just to try some real "sea change". Because electing another Obama or Trump? That way lies madness.

The anthropology of the 2016 election will be one of the defining historical works of our time. We need to know so much more about this electorate to understand what went on here.

Spy

Quote from: 21st Century Man on March 28, 2017, 10:10:13 PM
I don't think much of people who don't bother to vote at all.  He could have voted 3rd party if he didn't like the main candidates.  It is a privilege that all too few people have in other countries around the world.  We should cherish what we have.

I would like to see "None of the above" added to all ballots.  I truly believe "None of the above" would come in first in some elections.  It might (no guarantee) impart some humility on the winner who realized he/she came in second to "none of the above."

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Meatie Pie on March 29, 2017, 08:12:22 AM
I recall CHANGE!!!!!!!!! heralded from the mountaintops in 1992 and 2008 - funny how ephemeral that was. It was more stale than weeks-old Chinese leftovers an election cycle later.

And we will have CHANGE!!!!!!! in 2020, and I suspect more CHANGE!!!!! in 2024/28, and the sad loop goes on and on and on and we never learn a thing from it.

Here's an idea, crazy I know: Why don't we elect a fucking moderate to the office for the first time in forever. Just to try some real "sea change". Because electing another Obama or Trump? That way lies madness.

The anthropology of the 2016 election will be one of the defining historical works of our time. We need to know so much more about this electorate to understand what went on here.

Agreed. Although Trump has shown spectacularly he isn't master of what he surveys, despite what he thought. The more this train wreck has gone on, the more he's demonstrated he simply bends with whatever he saw on tv that day. He has no conviction other than to make him and his family richer/better known. Living in a bubble of adolescence, he has next to no maturity or worldly wise knowledge, and worse, has no desire to learn.

Notice his glee last week in the Mack truck as the GOP fought among themselves over ACA replacement; He couldn't have cared less. All his bluster using superlatives to describe anything he likes that day is just that. Bluster.

He knows almost nothing about goverment, coming out with shit such as "No-one knew how complicated health care was". Is he for fucking real? He has zero humility, if he did he wouldn't have come out with 99% of the complete bollox he utters.

3OctaveFart

His incuriosity is bone-deep.

Paul Ryan being packaged as policy wonk - that shit was blasted out of the sky rather quickly, eh? The Milton Friedman of our time, he ain't. I mean, I laugh out loud whenever I see this Eddie Munster lookalike on the teevee, and remember that people thought he was supposed to be one of the smart ones.

I have a question, and maybe it is just that of an overly doting father - has anyone ever seen the orange manbaby show the slightest gesture of affection to his youngest son? We know he's touchy-feely with his daughter, so he is not above such displays, but my feeling is the boy has some developmental delay that is repulsive to his physically repulsive dad.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Meatie Pie on March 29, 2017, 09:09:13 AM
His incuriosity is bone-deep.

Paul Ryan being packaged as policy wonk - that shit was blasted out of the sky rather quickly, eh? The Milton Friedman of our time, he ain't. I mean, I laugh out loud whenever I see this Eddie Munster lookalike on the teevee, and remember that people thought he was supposed to be one of the smart ones.

I have a question, and maybe it is just that of an overly doting father - has anyone ever seen the orange manbaby show the slightest gesture of affection to his youngest son? We know he's touchy-feely with his daughter, so he is not above such displays, but my feeling is the boy has some developmental delay that is repulsive to his physically repulsive dad.

Can we be sure Baron is his son? His wife must have been well stoned to have him between her legs.

TigerLily

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on March 29, 2017, 08:56:12 AM
Agreed. Although Trump has shown spectacularly he isn't master of what he surveys, despite what he thought. The more this train wreck has gone on, the more he's demonstrated he simply bends with whatever he saw on tv that day. He has no conviction other than to make him and his family richer/better known. Living in a bubble of adolescence, he has next to no maturity or worldly wise knowledge, and worse, has no desire to learn.

Notice his glee last week in the Mack truck as the GOP fought among themselves over ACA replacement; He couldn't have cared less. All his bluster using superlatives to describe anything he likes that day is just that. Bluster.

He knows almost nothing about goverment, coming out with shit such as "No-one knew how complicated health care was". Is he for fucking real? He has zero humility, if he did he wouldn't have come out with 99% of the complete bollox he utters.

I think he is also highly motivated by revenge. First he hated Obama for wiretapping him. Now he hates him even more for not wiretapping him. Hence the look of pure glee on his ugly mug when he signed the Royal Decree repealing the climate change order. And leaves us all to gasp and slowly die in our own toxins

TigerLily

Quote from: Yorkshire Pud on March 29, 2017, 09:31:55 AM
Can we be sure Baron is his son? His wife must have been well stoned to have him between her legs.

Baron has that vague mentally diminished pout and apish demeanor and look the other two mouth breathers have. He must be the spawn of Trump*

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Meatie Pie on March 29, 2017, 08:12:22 AM

I'm all for electing a moderate but how well did moderates do in the primaries? 

The Times They are a Changin'.  I witnessed the tumult of the sixties and early seventies up close and personal.  I was in D.C. when the hippies protesting the war in Vietnam formed a circle around the Pentagon in an attempt to levitate it and later went swimming naked in the reflection pool.  I lived through all the political assassinations and civil rights demonstrations to include Resurrection City and was just leaving Washington when the Watergate Burglary took place.  I came back in 1983 and spent the next 19 years in the greater D.C. area.  Not once during those years did I witness anything approaching the low esteem in which the average American holds the political establishment that has produced our Presidents and Congressional Representation since the Reagan era.  The same can be said about their view of once cherished government institutions such as the judiciary, federal law enforcement, the  intelligence community and especially the Justice Department and Department of State.  (There is also a prevailing deep distrust of corporate America and Academia and, although related, they are rightly the subject of separate discussions.)

Not to be overly dramatic but it is only during periods such as we now find ourselves that any meaningful change is brought about and I have never experienced a time when the demand for change was nearly as profoundly felt, widespread and stridently pursued by the electorate.  This is not something that will pass in a few election cycles as you suggest. The dissatisfaction is too great and won't be assuaged easily.  We have Clinton, Bush and especially Obama to thank for bringing all this to a head.  Who knows, some good may come of it.