• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 06, 2019, 03:10:59 AM
Ha Ha!  Or a giant earthworm?  But you know K, I can recall smoking crooked cigars years ago.  It seems like they were smallish in nature though, hardly bigger than cigarettes.  They came like six in a box that could have been easily tucked inside a tee shirt pocket.  I think that they were called simply Crooks, and I can't remember if they were rum flavored or not.

Oh wow you might have smoked one!  I do like those little cigars but the only crooked ones I've seen are normal longish ones crooked from being twisted in bundles.  But I am surely no cognoscente.

That poor artist!  I hope they plastered giant billboards with his artwork all over the county and he got a rich laugh out of it.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 06, 2019, 02:13:56 AM
Cool postcard, Rix, but man that looks like a turd.
If it weren't for this enterprising woman all future Dutch cigars might end up looking like those. She "fought the system" and got them to recognize rolling cigars as important cultural history. But, I took some years because you aren't allowed to advertise or "write" about smoking because it is so bad for you. You can still buy them though. 

"Ria got the idea to register her craft with the National Inventaris Immaterieel Cultureel Erfgoed, Holland’s register for intangible cultural heritage. In the Netherlands, the Kenniscentrum Immaterieel Erfgoed in Culemborg oversees the list. Not only is the application process lengthy, but Ria dealt with one rejection after another until she was even allowed to submit a written application at all. Why? “We cannot initiate the application process because it deals with smoking,” was the standard answer. “No, it’s not about smoking, it’s about the production of cigarsâ€"the traditional art that’s passed on from one person to another,” argued Ria. She ended up submitting the form six times, refusing to give up in the face of bureaucratic stalling tactics. And in 2016 her efforts were rewarded: her request had been granted. The status is good until 2018" 

https://www.cigarjournal.com/cigar-rolling-craft-considered-intangible-cultural-heritage-in-the-netherlands/

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 09, 2019, 04:51:31 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/place/209+Main+St,+Canistota,+SD+57012/@43.597684,-97.291674,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8788cda0b7400001:0x122acb15b36ee133!8m2!3d43.5976843!4d-97.2916743?hl=en-US
https://www.ortmanclinic.com/about/
"The Ortman tradition began in 1915 when Amon Ortman provided chiropractic care for friends, relatives and neighbors using his farmhouse as the original clinic. As word spread of his success in treating aches and pains, thousands of people from surrounding areas flocked to the Ortman farm for treatment. Amon’s younger brother Noah began to assist him in treating patients as the numbers grew. The clinic is unique in that it practices the Sitting-Up Technique exclusively. This “Ortman Technique” has become the Ortman trademark. This technique evolved from the way Amon Ortman initially treated patients at his farmhouse. He would have them sit down on anything convenient â€" a chair, a bucket, a wagon tongue, a buggy seat â€" and apply his treatment. Since 1915, over three million patients coming from every state in the United States have received treatment. Even as Chiropractic care has become more scientifically advanced, the Ortman Technique has remained an integral part of the Ortman Clinic’s success because the technique is effective, inexpensive, and in many cases, results are seen very quickly."

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 07, 2019, 04:43:17 AM

Also FREE ICE WATER there, in addition to the bumper-stickers and fake road signs seen around the world pointing out distance and direction to Wall Drug.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on February 09, 2019, 07:49:17 PM
Also FREE ICE WATER there, in addition to the bumper-stickers and fake road signs seen around the world pointing out distance and direction to Wall Drug.

Sounds like quite a place.  I saw a similar robotic gunfighter at a county fair once.  I was just a kid at the time, and I stood there and watched a steady stream of rubes get 'shot' one after another by the insult hurling gunslinger.  Finally, a guy got his shot off quicker than the robot, and the mechanical gunfighter rolled up his eyes and said, "You got me!"   

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 09, 2019, 08:00:54 PM
Sounds like quite a place.  I saw a similar robotic gunfighter at a county fair once.  I was just a kid at the time, and I stood there and watched a steady stream of rubes get 'shot' one after another by the insult hurling gunslinger.  Finally, a guy got his shot off quicker than the robot, and the mechanical gunfighter rolled up his eyes and said, "You got me!"
Cool!  Back in the day the free ice water, actually, really was a good deal. As a kid rolled in a non a/c station-wagon on the summer "family trip" and gulped many.
http://www.walldrug.com/about-us#history

Rix Gins

A real photograph that was converted into a postcard.

Rix Gins

A ham radio QSL ("I confirm reception") card sent from Walt in Pennsylvania, to Henry in New Jersey.

Rix Gins

A risqué (for the times) postcard of a lady looking into a mirror.

Made in France.

Metron2267

Akron, OH:

San Fran, CA:

Pittston, PA.

Denver, CO

NYC, NY

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 19, 2019, 02:08:59 AM

It's haunted baby!
https://www.yelp.com/biz/portland-inn-city-center-portland

QuoteThe reason this place is reviewed in the first place was because on our first visit to Portland, this was one of the hotels the travel agent set up for us so we had no idea what this place was gonna be like.
Um....
It was......scary and eerie as hell.
A person could sleep alright, I was saddened that this place didn't have their pool indoors, it had a decent restaurant but the hotel was creepy. Halls that resemble that in The Shinning and well this happened. On the second day we stayed there, while brushing my teeth in the bathroom, I kid you not, I saw a something move, dressed all in white, in the corner of my eye. When I spoke of this to my boyfriend, he informed me the same thing happened to him, an elderly woman passing through the hallways of our room.

Yes we were freaked out but what can you do? Sooooo....if you need a room a.s.a.p. by all means, it's not that bad but if you can afford the time and money for someplace else, I suggest so.

Rix Gins

This grand looking restaurant was once inside a long ago hotel in Seattle, Washington.

The back of the postcard only had the words Post Card on it, so I didn't bother reproducing it.  I did however, find an online postcard that shows the hotel.
Building history of the hotel: http://pcad.lib.washington.edu/building/8914/

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 24, 2019, 02:30:13 AM

This grand looking restaurant was once inside a long ago hotel in Seattle, Washington.

The back of the postcard only had the words Post Card on it, so I didn't bother reproducing it.  I did however, find an online postcard that shows the hotel.
Building history of the hotel: http://pcad.lib.washington.edu/building/8914/

Nice find, Rix!  I think there's actually a church in the bottom part of the building now.  It's the only building I can think of in Seattle that uses vermiculated stone for several decorative courses on the lower stories which I remember staring at as a kid hahaha

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 24, 2019, 03:03:29 AM
Nice find, Rix!  I think there's actually a church in the bottom part of the building now.  It's the only building I can think of in Seattle that uses vermiculated stone for several decorative courses on the lower stories which I remember staring at as a kid hahaha

Oh, now that is fascinating, K.  I used to walk around downtown Seattle, though mostly at night, all those years ago.  I guess there is a small chance that I may have walked right by this building, ha.

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 27, 2019, 01:45:57 AM

Not sure that it gets better with a from the hip camera shot as opposed to a staged rendition:

I was reading that Buick is going to discontinue the Cascada convertible.  That will just leave the Regal in the modern day Buick lineup that is uniquely Buick.  Everything else is a rebadged Chevy or GMC.  So the end is probably near.   :'(

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 27, 2019, 06:16:46 AM
Not sure that it gets better with a from the hip camera shot as opposed to a staged rendition:

I was reading that Buick is going to discontinue the Cascada convertible.  That will just leave the Regal in the modern day Buick lineup that is uniquely Buick.  Everything else is a rebadged Chevy or GMC.  So the end is probably near.   :'(
I had a nice mid-size Century car back when., though not that fastback awesomeness! Anybody ever hear the older folks call Buicks by a certain Jooo name? Joooick? So Pontiac gone and now Buick? Sucks.

Rix Gins

One thing about those Greeks, they certainly knew how to build a church.

http://www.annunciationcathedral.org/

Rix Gins

I like these flame vines.  They are so red that I can actually see that particular color despite my color blindness.