• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

African American History Museum

Started by Dr. MD MD, September 24, 2016, 07:25:22 PM

Dr. MD MD

https://nmaahc.si.edu/

No disrespect to black people but I have to think that even they see this as a meaningless waste of money. This just put money into the pockets of this administration's rich friends and didn't help black people in any real way.  ::)

Hey, Obama! How about some real hope and some lasting change?!  :D

Please! Someone tell the good he did in the last 8 years?! He was supposed to reform the system and bring hope and change. WTF happened?! I wonder how many other voters are feeling like the victims of a con game now?

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 24, 2016, 07:25:22 PM
https://nmaahc.si.edu/

No disrespect to black people but I have to think that even they see this as a meaningless waste of money. This just put money into the pockets of this administration's rich friends and didn't help black people in any real way.  ::)

Hey, Obama! How about some real hope and some lasting change?!  :D

Please! Someone tell the good he did in the last 8 years?! He was supposed to reform the system and bring hope and change. WTF happened?! I wonder how many other voters are feeling like the victims of a con game now?
Aside from the ridiculous idea.....the architecture.
It is also so friggin ugly and almost jarring in one of our few cities that kept building height and style to a good, traditional level in many places and to place around all the traditionally good looking and impressive monuments and museums? It is like Obama rubbing our faces in it yet again. Then again it looks like some mack-daddy pimp all ghettoed-out strutting around a decent neighborhood with his cane, gold, and flashy clothes.

JesusJuice

George W. Bush authorised the legislation to establish and build the museum.  That's why he was there at the opening.

albrecht

Quote from: JesusJuice on September 24, 2016, 07:33:44 PM
George W. Bush authorised the legislation to establish and build the museum.  That's why he was there at the opening.
He also did more for real Africans than this character Obama ever did, he won't even help his own family living there out! I'm not knocking that Africans had a history in America so throw up a museum, maybe like a Phil Hendrie character once said "it will just shut them up and stop bitching and rioting," kidding. But I want to know who the architect, or firm, was and why this monstrosity was approved and allowed to get through zoning and funded?
ps: It looks like the vehicle the Jawas use to ride around stealing robots in Star Wars. Ugly and weird.

Why does the African American History Museum look like a giant Chinese restaurant?

This is fine, I don't have a problem with it at all. Yeah it's probably a corrupt money pit that channels federal funds into the pockets of connected bureaucrats. But in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 24, 2016, 07:44:33 PM
Why does the African American History Museum look like a giant Chinese restaurant?

This is fine, I don't have a problem with it at all. Yeah it's probably a corrupt money pit that channels federal funds into the pockets of connected bureaucrats. But in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal.

Really? Half a billion dollars for this?! If I was black I think this would piss me off.

I have no problem that 'a' museum was built, but DAMN!!!! That is the ugliest piece or architecture in the entire history of the world! EVER!!!!! Looks like a bunch of rotting rebarb rusting in big plops of refuse. Sure hope it looks better on the inside.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 24, 2016, 07:49:49 PM
Really? Half a billion dollars for this?! If I was black I think this would piss me off.

There's a lot of things I'm more upset about money being wasted on than museums. What's funny is to wait six months and see how many people actually go to it on a daily basis.

Is this like real black history or is this kang history they're portraying?

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 24, 2016, 08:22:28 PM
There's a lot of things I'm more upset about money being wasted on than museums. What's funny is to wait six months and see how many people actually go to it on a daily basis.

It will be hot on the school field trip circuit, especially within a half a day's drive. Well, that is, if the individual schools get the funding for the buses. Will become a PC must in all the urban areas.

Those are Africans, not Americans bro.

These are Americans.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 24, 2016, 08:22:28 PM

I think a half a billion dollars could've gone a long way to creating some real change for black people in say Detroit or several other places...but no, we're going to build y'all a museum.  ::)

I really wonder how many black people will actually visit.  ???

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 24, 2016, 08:38:08 PM
I think a half a billion dollars could've gone a long way to creating some real change for black people in say Detroit or several other places...but no, we're going to build y'all a museum.  ::)

I really wonder how many black people will actually visit.  ???

Why would the Democrats or the establishment ever help or franchise the black community?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 24, 2016, 08:39:29 PM
Why would the Democrats or the establishment ever help or franchise the black community?

I suppose that would've been too off the hope and change charts for Obama. LOL!  ;D

Imconfused

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 24, 2016, 08:37:29 PM
Those are Africans, not Americans bro.

These are Americans.

And your point is???

Imconfused

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 24, 2016, 08:48:16 PM
You're being a small minded racist fuck.

Did you just call me a racist?

Pick another word that pisses me off.  This one is stale.

I may be a little over the top on you as I see you're trying to go for giggles. There's a lot of things about current black culture I find offensive or ignorant. But people like Jimi Hendrix and Malcolm X are such pantheons in that I find the direction you're going by comparing them to African pygmies to be insulting.

Say whatever you want though, this is my opinion.

Quote from: Imconfused on September 24, 2016, 08:57:58 PM
Did you just call me a racist?

Pick another word that pisses me off.  This one is stale.

Okay, you're a small minded stupid fuck.

albrecht

Regardless on the net gain/loss from Africans in America over the centuries they were here and so should be represented in museums (they actually already are.) Now why they need to segregate themselves into a separate museum just for themselves, as apart from the rest of us, is odd but, whatever. It seems to be human nature to self-segregate to an extent. And, yes, government money needs to be spent, palms greased, contractors paid,  and make-work jobs created. But why the design? Why that architect or firm? How did it get by zoning and approval? Why, being a Federal District, couldn't we, the People, vote on it? Why not, after all they claim they "build the White House," make a building in keeping with the ambiance, history, and look of the Mall, that part of DC, etc? Not some finger-in-the-eye monstrosity?

Imconfused

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 24, 2016, 09:00:47 PM
I may be a little over the top on you as I see you're trying to go for giggles. There's a lot of things about current black culture I find offensive or ignorant. But people like Jimi Hendrix and Malcolm X are such pantheons in that I find the direction you're going by comparing them to African pygmies to be insulting.

Say whatever you want though, this is my opinion.

Okay, you're a small minded stupid fuck.

You can do better....

for example:

Quote from: albrecht on September 24, 2016, 09:02:37 PM
And, yes, government money needs to be spent, palms greased, contractors paid,  and make-work jobs created. But why the design? Why that architect or firm? How did it get by zoning and approval? Why, being a Federal District, couldn't we, the People, vote on it? Why not, after all they claim they "build the White House," make a building in keeping with the ambiance, history, and look of the Mall, that part of DC, etc? Not some finger-in-the-eye monstrosity?

That's the stuff I'm interested in surrounding this story.

albrecht

Quote from: VoteQuimby on September 24, 2016, 09:05:20 PM
That's the stuff I'm interested in surrounding this story.
Yeah, recall that DC, especially in that area, has a long history of zoning, height requirements, etc. And the yuuuge controversy that a Trump company was going to redo the old Post Office bldg, which used to be cool and still is, but nobody could make a go of it as a tourist, vendor, coffee shop place. And then this "thing" just pops up? Why make the segregated Museum (ironic considering MLK Jr's famous speech on The Mall) but make it least look somewhat at least like the other buildings and museums? Also, as a note, BLM is planning to tear down Jackson's Statue in Jackson Square in NOLA soon. No matter if the police, city, or whomever say no. The government has already have moved various monuments but that is not enough for the activists. There is a strong movement to destroy, or at least deface, ALL history monuments, street names, college hall names, statues, art, etc. Wouldn't surprise me if this monstrosity is just another attack in that way. This is the logic/method that ISIS and the Taliban use (or some dictators and commies of the past.) Can you imagine not being able to visit Rome, Paris, DC, London, where ever because all the old buildings or art needed to be destroyed because they were racist, of the old regime, not politically correct, or offended someone. It is crazy, crazy way of thinking. Sure you could put up some sign-age. Have docents "explain." But destroying history is a very bad and ominous idea.
(old article but gives some background on the DC stuff)
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/28/realestate/commercial/finally-washingtons-old-post-office-gets-a-new-life.html?_r=0

albrecht

Quote from: Astrid Galactic on September 24, 2016, 09:37:49 PM
That's a Soviet iconoclast for you.
I'll freely admit that Obama and his BLM and SJWs iconoclasm is Soviet and ISIS/Taliban etc like. Will also admit we have had a bad history of this in Western Civilization for religious motives, especially during The Reformation. It is all bad when it comes to that. I think books, museums, art, monuments, history etc should be preserved. I understand the symbolism of destroying the old to make way for the new. But, at worst, take it away, put up sign-age, have docents explain, or whatever. Don't destroy everything.

WOTR

I usually try to stay balanced (at least a little.)  And I do understand the history of oppression and do feel that in some ways, history does contribute to a feeling of hopelessness.  I do get that things are still not completely "fair."

That said- when I actually heard Obama giving a speech while opening the museum of African American history and culture, my jaw hit the floor.  And if I were African American, I think I might be even more upset that he said the things he did while opening up a museum dedicated to my culture.

He actually makes an excuse for Ferguson and NC and almost says that it is no big deal.  Apparently, keeping the history and culture in mind- it should help keep the riots in perspective.

"And so this museum provides context for the debate of our times, it illuminates them, and gives us some sense of how they evolved, and perhaps keeps them in proportion. Perhaps they can help a white visitor understand the pain and anger of demonstrators in places like Ferguson and Charlotte."

I actually do think that I can at least grasp a small amount of the pain and anger... What I don't grasp is the speech that was given.

You can read the whole speech here... I found much of it distasteful.
http://time.com/4506800/barack-obama-african-american-history-museum-transcript/

albrecht

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/penny-starr/smithsonian-wont-explain-why-prominent-conservative-african-americans-not
The Smithsonian explains why Clarence Thomas and Edward Brooke not in the museum: "However, we cannot tell every story..."

Because the first black to be popularly elected to the US Senate and the first black to serve on the US Supreme Court are just minor incidents in the "African-American experience" or US history! Amazing.