• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

My Name is Heimlick Manouvre, & I am your Presidio

Started by pate, May 15, 2016, 03:51:43 AM

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on May 15, 2016, 08:19:34 AM
That's quite an obsession.   They have doctors for that.

I bet it was difficult to type two sentences and only use two periods.

GravitySucks

Quote from: brig on May 15, 2016, 08:20:00 AM
Methinks in Ireland they pronounce it:

Farty Too.

Good morning Brig. I hope this fine Saturday finds you well rested, in good health and in fine spirits.

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 15, 2016, 08:21:21 AM
I bet it was difficult to type two sentences and only use two periods.

You have NO idea...

Lilith

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 15, 2016, 08:23:43 AM
Good morning Brig. I hope this fine Saturday finds you well rested, in good health and in fine spirits.

Thank You GS, and the same to you!  :-*

Lilith

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on May 15, 2016, 08:24:36 AM
You have NO idea...

I find myself using the three or so dots sometimes also, when the thoughts I am typing are somewhere between a comma, and the end of a sentence ...more like a soft end of sentence, instead of a hard end of sentence.

chefist

Quote from: brig on May 15, 2016, 08:32:49 AM
I find myself using the three or so dots sometimes also, when the thoughts I am typing are somewhere between a comma, and the end of a sentence ...more like a soft end of sentence, instead of a hard end of sentence.

Hi Brig! Yea, it's very common...just go to any thread and read up and down the page...many users do it...

Lilith

Quote from: chefist on May 15, 2016, 08:36:01 AM
Hi Brig! Yea, it's very common...just go to any thread and read up and down the page...many users do it...

I found this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis,

chefist

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 15, 2016, 08:38:50 AM
No they don't.

Quote from: Hollow Man on May 15, 2016, 07:41:17 AM
Oh, Jesus fucking Christ, are you kidding me? Jorch has truly sunk to a new low, no doubt about it. What's next, a duet with UFO Phil? Fuck, that's just great. I'm just sure they could come up with a lovely little jingle to make all our ears bleed...  ::)

Quote from: ziznak on May 15, 2016, 07:04:13 AM
so jorch played "just the audio" from a falkie video... live... on the air?

Quote from: Paper*Boy on May 15, 2016, 12:27:12 AM
So... he stopped getting worse?

Lilith

Quote from: chefist on May 15, 2016, 08:40:20 AM

Well, at least I now know they have a name, "Ellipsis", which I would not have known, had Pate not started this thread.....

chefist

Quote from: brig on May 15, 2016, 08:42:54 AM
Well, at least I now know they have a name, "Ellipsis", which I would not have known, had Pate not started this thread.....

Pate usually inspires people to post about him/her...the range of responses is often interesting...

Lilith

Quote from: chefist on May 15, 2016, 08:43:56 AM
Pate usually inspires people to post about him/her...the range of responses is often interesting...

I have always found Pate interesting.  I was happy to see he had started his own thread.  I hope to get to know him better,  much like it was when I was getting to know FalkieInTheFortress back in the day ....before I was banned....

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 15, 2016, 08:41:57 AM
Goddammit people.

Roswells, try it like this...

...goddammit people.   This implies that you have thought it over before comment
goddammit...people.    Implies you are internalizing it as you type
or even...
goddammit people....   Implies that you quickly retorted "Goddammit people" and are going to have it stirring around in the old noodle for awhile. 

This is not to say that your way is wrong...it's snappy, and to the point for sure...just lacks salt and peppa.   I'm off to visit my in-laws for the day, so lucky me...ya?  You all have a pleasant Sunday (however many of you there REALLY are, bots and A.I. included). 

:) :) :)  (happy ellipses)

TigerLily

Quote from: brig on May 15, 2016, 08:32:49 AM
I like them too...for pregnant pauses

TigerLily

pate. I appreciate your manifesto. However I believe a coup has usurped your pre-cendency. Not shur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_0sg0XDfmg

You know I love a good revolution

K_Dubb

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on May 15, 2016, 07:07:36 AM

On the subject of mispronunciations that Americans speaking American say, here's a few:

Aluminium...That's Alu-min--ium, NOT Alu-min-um.

And Basil, isn't Baysil.

And a hood when it refers to a car front isn't; It's a bonnet, and the rear isn't a trunk, it's a boot. Okay?

Pants are trousers. Undershorts aren't, they're pants, women are allowed to have panties or knickers.

Gas is petrol.

Colour, NOT color. (This is one of many examples of you're ridiculous attitude to eliminating vowels.) Oh, and sticking a z in words (which incidentally is pronounced zed, not zee)  instead of an s.. E.g. Apologise. NOT apologize.

You'll all have to get used to these and more, because when you're back under our wing again, you'll be doing it every day, or else.

Actually, what's funny is when a language imports a foreign word without enforcing some orthographic conformity, as was done with "colour".  This preserves the word's foreignness for class-conscious reasons, reflecting an underlying insecurity about one's mother tongue.  Aping your French betters, comme toujours.

nbirnes

Quote from: TigerLily on May 15, 2016, 09:53:35 AM
I like them too...for pregnant pauses

I do believe that's what they were invented for. To hide the dirty bits ... in your imagination. We used to call them "dot-dot-dots" and we understood that, like a closed bedroom door, all kinds of interesting things were going on. Between the dots.

Also, it's better if you add a space before and after them; you can make them automatically on the Mac (option/semicolon); and there should never be four. Only three. For four to be done properly, you'd have to be an ediot, and there are only a few of us here. Either way, it's a tell.

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 15, 2016, 12:30:42 PM
Actually, what's funny is when a language imports a foreign word without enforcing some orthographic conformity, as was done with "colour".  This preserves the word's foreignness for class-conscious reasons, reflecting an underlying insecurity about one's mother tongue.  Aping your French betters, comme toujours.

Yeah - what K_Dubb said.  Well except for the French being better............

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 15, 2016, 12:59:23 PM
Yeah - what K_Dubb said.  Well except for the French being better............

You don't get that in Norwegian, for example, where the latinate imports are rigorously scrubbed of their southern color to the point where they're almost unrecognizable, e. g. maskin (machine).

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 15, 2016, 03:58:22 AM
...anyone not in America pronounces thyme with a th sound, not a hard t.
Not all the thime.

Catsmile

Ellipsis... triple periods... this thread is full of both.

However... not everyone is suffering from one... a triple period that is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAoTgjkI7uM

TigerLily

Quote from: nbirnes on May 15, 2016, 12:56:58 PM
I do believe that's what they were invented for. To hide the dirty bits ... in your imagination. We used to call them "dot-dot-dots" and we understood that, like a closed bedroom door, all kinds of interesting things were going on. Between the dots.

Also, it's better if you add a space before and after them; you can make them automatically on the Mac (option/semicolon); and there should never be four. Only three. For four to be done properly, you'd have to be an ediot, and there are only a few of us here. Either way, it's a tell.

Oh no ... not the spaces! Thanks, Nancy. I do not have Mac.  I will have to add the spaces ... manually

GravitySucks

Quote from: TigerLily on May 15, 2016, 07:03:19 PM
Oh no ... not the spaces! Thanks, Nancy. I do not have Mac.  I will have to add the spaces ... manually