• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The GabCast (A podcast about BellGab)

Started by onan, October 22, 2013, 06:30:19 PM

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Metron2267 on November 07, 2018, 10:22:34 AM
And on those non-fake cola days?

I don't get the appeal of carbonated grapefruit juice. I can't drink a squirt of Squirt.  :P

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on November 07, 2018, 06:19:49 PM
I don't get the appeal of carbonated grapefruit juice. I can't drink a squirt of Squirt.  :P

bottled soda's from mexico are amazing.

Jackstar

I don't get the appeal of carbonated grapefruit juice.

I can't eat raw carrots. Not just won't--can't. Turns to chalk and gag.

Metron2267

Me neither, plus they even changed the taste on 7Up big time since I was into it.

Dunno if it's cane vs. corn syrup, but it just has less zing to it.

Good thing Jarritos are actually made in California so we don't have to worry about tariffs or how to get them over the wall.

Metron2267

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on November 07, 2018, 07:31:07 PM
Good thing Jarritos are actually made in California so we don't have to worry about tariffs or how to get them over the wall.

Sorta like:

Quote from: Kizuna Ai on November 07, 2018, 07:36:01 PM
BAKA!, they dont even have a marble nigga

Ramune is great too. Luckily I have a place up the road that carries it. Lychee ramune is pretty damn good.

Jackstar

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on November 07, 2018, 07:31:07 PM
how to get them over the wall

Couldn't they just wick it through--like, with a cloth?

AZZERAE

Quote from: Metron2267 on November 07, 2018, 04:44:37 PM
Sud Afrikan BBQ rocks:

https://www.saveur.com/south-africa-grilling-braai

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-braai-meat-the-South-African-way/

What you will need:
Some red meat, preferably rump, fillet or sirloin. I got rump.
Some Pineapple juice
Some Balsamic Vinegar
Salt
Pepper
Coriander
Other Spices

Braai! It is pretty good, so what’s the difference when it comes to an American barbecue? How do the two differ?

AZZERAE

Oh fuck! I’m that guy now. But instead of “organic bacon” I’m discussing barbecue. It was only in response to what I was asked though - I swear it!

Read as: “Hi how are you? Hope you are well!” (cat lady voice).

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Azzerae on November 08, 2018, 08:35:40 AM

Read as: “Hi how are you? Hope you are well!” (cat lady voice).

pate

Quote from: Azzerae on November 08, 2018, 04:25:57 AM
Braai! It is pretty good, so what’s the difference when it comes to an American barbecue? How do the two differ?

What the purists consider to be "true BBQ" here (Blue Ribbon competition BBQ type stuff) involves a smoker generally, low temp/longer cooking time, and what is called the "smoke ring" is important, that's the outer ring of pink but fully cooked meat on the item being barbequed:

I think you can achieve that on a grill, but it isn't as easy or something.  I dunno, my brother-in-law used to do competitions and still smokes/bbqs in the backyard and occasionally does a catering gig with his brother.  You don't just slap BBQ sauce on something you grill and call it BBQ, at least the purists would frown on that.  ANyhow, I guess that might be the difference between true American BBQ & Braai?  Grilled vs. smoked?  Dunno, it still looks good and if the sauce/marinade base is pineapple, balsamic vinegar, coriander that is essentially a BBQ sauce with the Sweet/sour flavors although the capsaicin from say Cayenne peppers is typically thrown in to give the spiciness (I don't think spiciness is a requirement for BBQ, but I think if one examines the sauces/dry rubs that typically win in competitions you'll find that there are more with capsaicin than without...).

The smoke/smoke ring factor would (I believe) be the main determinant as to whether it is "true American-style BBQ" more than any other factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il1QA5qGnRM

Metron2267

Quote from: Azzerae on November 08, 2018, 04:25:57 AM

We don't tend to use pineapple juice or balsamic vinegar in our BBQ.

Dry rub is heavy on chile and garlic and such.

Wet mop tends to be cider vinegar or beer based.

Also we smoke a lot, Braii is done over hot coals.

2 thumbs up for Braai - made it, loved it!

AZZERAE

I'm not usually the one turning the meat on the fire (I tend to be the one talking and drinking while all the other people do the work), but you guys sure have answered my questions on what constitutes an American barbecue. Fascinating.

Metron2267

Quote from: Azzerae on November 08, 2018, 03:21:01 PM
I'm not usually the one turning the meat on the fire (I tend to be the one talking and drinking while all the other people do the work), but you guys sure have answered my questions on what constitutes an American barbecue. Fascinating.

Glad that helped, many tend to be done with an offset smoker:

Jackstar

what constitutes an American barbecue. Fascinating.

This is one of my pet peeves. People will say, "Come over to my place! We're having a barbeque!" Then, I get there, and it's just a bunch of S.N.A.G.s sitting around a grill. You'd think, that being one of the words they're comfortable with spelling--it's just two away from "girl", after all--they'd refer to their planned activity by its proper name--or just call it a cookout.

What's worse is, when I ask--"will you actually have indirect heat to slow roast meat, or is this another propane-tinged extravaganza?"--they get all snippy. "What's the difference?" they whine.

I'll tell you the difference. Indirect heat roasts meat, while grilling sears it. Fuckin' hipsters, so annoying.

This country has gone to the dogs.

Just don't ask about German barbecue.

pate

Quote from: Azzerae on November 08, 2018, 06:01:55 PM
How about the infamous cleveland steamer?

Old news, all the cool kids are doing "New York Steamers" noaw...

AZZERAE

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 02, 2018, 08:08:54 PM
I don't buy Airyn gives a fuck about a shitty 10 dollar domain name. Art was definitely sneaking into the cuckshed at night.

Do you think she used to sniff his dick when he got back from the cuck shed, to check where it'd been?

scentless

Wow. I didn't even know bellgab was down. So out of the loop. I came here to find out what's up with Heather and Art's family, I get Midnight in the Cuckshed. I would kill to be a fly in that household+shed. Ugh, I still miss the dude's voice. Can't find a replacement. It's like Late Nite on TV. It ended when Carson retired. 

AZZERAE

Quote from: scentless on November 09, 2018, 04:34:02 PM
Wow. I didn't even know bellgab was down. So out of the loop. I came here to find out what's up with Heather and Art's family, I get Midnight in the Cuckshed. I would kill to be a fly in that household+shed. Ugh, I still miss the dude's voice. Can't find a replacement. It's like Late Nite on TV. It ended when Carson retired.

Try Clyde Lewis on for size.