• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: chefist on July 27, 2015, 12:00:02 PM
I remember 2004 like yesterday...after Boston came back to beat the Yankees, I knew we were in trouble...but we did the same in 2011 beating the odds...so what comes around goes around...David Freese is now an immortal...

Nelson Cruz should be the Bill Buckner of recent times, but Rangers fans don't care enough.

The last week of October, 2004 was brutal around here. Yahoo mania. The "now I can die in peace" crowd...except they didn't live up to the bargain.

3OctaveFart

Sad a kid died over the idiocy demonstrated that week.

Trot Nixon said he would have traded the ALCS series victory for that girl's life.

chefist

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 27, 2015, 12:14:45 PM
    Nelson Cruz should be the Bill Buckner of recent times, but Rangers fans don't care enough.

The last week of October, 2004 was brutal around here. Yahoo mania. The "now I can die in peace" crowd...except they didn't live up to the bargain.

I was happy to see Boston win...but they need to work on improving their farm system...St Louis has the best farm system in the MLB...big market cities like NY and Boston can get away without it...

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Meatie Pie on July 27, 2015, 12:19:51 PM

The Affirmative Action hire who should have been charged with manslaughter. The "non-lethal" pepper pellet was fired at somebody hanging off a street sign, which in and of itself was a violation of procedure. It hits a brick wall and strikes a girl, the very definition of wrong place, wrong time.

No protests following her death...

ShayP

Quote from: Meatie Pie on July 27, 2015, 12:19:51 PM

Trot Nixon said he would have traded the ALCS series victory for that girl's life.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 27, 2015, 01:32:39 PM
  The Affirmative Action hire who should have been charged with manslaughter. The "non-lethal" pepper pellet was fired at somebody hanging off a street sign, which in and of itself was a violation of procedure. It hits a brick wall and strikes a girl, the very definition of wrong place, wrong time.

No protests following her death...

Wow.  :(   

I'm sure I saw this on the news but I totally forgot.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ShayP on July 27, 2015, 01:43:55 PM
Wow.  :(   

I'm sure I saw this on the news but I totally forgot.

City of Boston settled with her family for roughly 5 Million, the following spring. The 3 goon squaders were suspended, but not fired. I do know that the shooter of the pellet was ostracized by many other cops, some of whom had expected this type of result from him. He's still a Boston cop, a fat fuckin' pig working overtime details.

3OctaveFart

I am surprised the parade went without incident. Three and a half million people at that parade.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Meatie Pie on July 27, 2015, 02:11:53 PM
I am surprised the parade went without incident. Three and a half million people at that parade.

A rainy saturday morning, Halloween weekend...oddly, Pedro got hit with a ball while sitting on a duck boat. My wife and son went, barely seeing anything from where they were. Took them nearly 3 hours to get home, on a bus/train ride that normally takes 20 minutes.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 27, 2015, 10:44:00 AM
  Endlessly hear about Pedro being "the greatest ever" because he pitched in the 'roid era. ...

Clemens just perked up a little

PB and other Giants fans, the August 13 game has a Grateful Dead/Giants t-shirt as the giveaway promo.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 27, 2015, 06:04:38 PM
Clemens just perked up a little

Roger is baffled by this "steroid era" thing. His 1992-95 years were the Wendy's and KFC era for him.

3OctaveFart

Blockbuster deal sending Troy Tulowitzki from Colorado to Toronto. Unconfirmed and no other names mentioned, though bad contract Jose Reyes rumored.

Tulowitzki might be flipped for pitching, is my guess.

akwilly

Quote from: Meatie Pie on July 27, 2015, 11:07:50 PM
Blockbuster deal sending Troy Tulowitzki from Colorado to Toronto. Unconfirmed and no other names mentioned, though bad contract Jose Reyes rumored.

I always thought he was going to be a Yankee

ShayP

Quote from: Meatie Pie on July 27, 2015, 11:07:50 PM

I really didn't think he'd go anywhere.  Maybe the Mets....they have the arms.  Toronto makes no sense unless they flip him like you said.

Keep Mat Latos out of LA. I enjoy the rivalry for what it is, not for dbags like Puig and Latos.

Possibly enemy #1 to giants fans, now that Nyjar Morgan can't find work. (edited: as long as Aj Pierzynski is still active, he might be #1)

just heard Price to Toronto.

Big winners in this years trade deadline.

ShayP

Quote from: ASC on July 30, 2015, 10:40:21 AM
just heard Price to Toronto.

Big winners in this years trade deadline.

Yeah really.  Tulo and Price!  :o

Eddie Coyle

John Gibbons better have them in the wild card by Aug 15, or he's gone.

Eddie Coyle

The only thing missing from the 2015 Tigers is Bobby Higginson.

3OctaveFart

Mike Lansing laughs at these Red Sox.

Eddie Coyle

Considering what we saw from 1993-2006, I think it's pretty fucking cool that the KC Royals have never had a player reach 37 homers in a single season.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 14, 2015, 09:30:00 PM
   Considering what we saw from 1993-2006, I think it's pretty fucking cool that the KC Royals have never had a player reach 37 homers in a single season.
No kidding. They've had some guys with power like Beltran and Mike Sweeney. I think Gaetti and Jermaine Dye had some pop as well.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on August 14, 2015, 10:03:24 PM
No kidding. They've had some guys with power like Beltran and Mike Sweeney. I think Gaetti and Jermaine Dye had some pop as well.

That Sweeney/Beltran/Dye didn't do it in that 97-01 bonanza is what stuns me. Maybe Bo Jackson could have given it a run if he didn't get hurt.

Watching old clips of George Brett on YouTube, and my God, imagine if he played in Yankee Stadium 81 games a year. Sure, his doubles/triples would dip significantly. But the homers in that short porch...

Eddie Coyle

Give me Chris Davis and his league leading whiffs over Joey Votto's league leading walks anyday. Davis has more RBI today(89) than Votto will end up with at season's end.

Votto would have been the perfect 80's Red Sox. A base clogger concerned with personal stats, getting on base nearly 300 times and lucky to score 100 runs. And he plays in a bandbox.

saucerlike

Quote from: ShayP on June 27, 2015, 09:57:11 PM
By the way....I read that there are other Pittsburgh types here besides me and Falkie.  Regardless....any Pirates fans?
Here's one, though I can't follow them as well since I'm out of state now.  I admit I gave up on them for awhile when it seemed like morons were running the club, but there's some hope now.

I once waited for Frank Robinson to come out of the clubhouse on his way to the team bus and sign my scorecard.  Boog Powell grabbed it and signed it, wtf

ShayP

Quote from: saucerlike on August 17, 2015, 04:38:40 PM
Here's one, though I can't follow them as well since I'm out of state now.  I admit I gave up on them for awhile when it seemed like morons were running the club, but there's some hope now.

8)  I'm out of state too. Used to watch them online and try to catch anything if it's on TV.  CHEERS!

ShayP

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 17, 2015, 10:23:24 PM
I once waited for Frank Robinson to come out of the clubhouse on his way to the team bus and sign my scorecard.  Boog Powell grabbed it and signed it, wtf

I'm getting a good laugh out of that.  Sorry man.  ;)
Did you just look down at it, only to keep looking up, and back down, to see what just happened?  ;D

Quote from: ShayP on August 17, 2015, 10:30:17 PM
I'm getting a good laugh out of that.  Sorry man.  ;)
Did you just look down at it, only to keep looking up, and back down, to see what just happened?  ;D

I was a young kid, we were on our summer vacation, visiting my uncle.  He worked for the bus company that drove the sports teams around, of course knew his fellow drivers and some of the players, and it was his idea to go down after the game.  Cleveland was in town, it was F Robby's first year as manager and him being baseball's first black manager that year was a huge national story.

The A's beat them that night, but Boog had homered and was all happy after the game.  Robinson, who hated to lose, finally came out.  He brushed past everyone ''no autographs tonight''.

Uncle Bob, who was pretty much the same size as Powell went on the bus, and, heh, told Robby I was a big fan and had come all that way to see him manage - and got the autograph.

The other thing I remember from the game was Oscar Gamble and his huge afro.  When he had his cap on it stuck way out and sort of looked like Mickey Mouse ears...