• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Nice Little Facts

Started by MV/Liberace!, June 20, 2014, 04:56:20 PM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: MV on July 15, 2014, 01:18:46 PM
a guy named "jeremiah" from virginia claiming land between egypt and sudan... yeah, that ought to work out well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/28308329

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on July 15, 2014, 10:59:26 AM
Lead pollution is blamed for giving elephants "floppy trunk syndrome".

Now I have something I can blame too.

jazmunda

Australia has the world’s largest cattle ranch and at 30,028 square kilometers, it is almost the same size as Belgium.

Eddie Coyle

NBC's Fall 1983 lineup premiered 9 new shows.

All were canceled after one season.

"Boone",  "Bay City Blues", "We've Got It Made", "The Rousters", "Yellow Rose"...and even more special, the Friday Night lineup consisted of 4 new shows, "Mr Smith", "Jennifer Slept Here","Manimal" and "For Love and Honor".  

jazmunda

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 15, 2014, 09:56:55 PM
     NBC's Fall 1983 lineup premiered 9 new shows.

All were canceled after one season.

"Boone",  "Bay City Blues", "We've Got It Made", "The Rousters", "Yellow Rose"...and even more special, the Friday Night lineup consisted of 4 new shows, "Mr Smith", "Jennifer Slept Here","Manimal" and "For Love and Honor".  

Manimal  is an American actionâ€"adventure series that ran from September 30 to December 17, 1983 on NBC. The show centers on the character Dr. Jonathan Chase, a shape-shifting man who possessed the ability to turn himself into any animal he chose.

http://youtu.be/Ugb_TIpPoWA

I can't believe this show didn't last or has not been remade.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: jazmunda on July 15, 2014, 10:15:20 PM
Manimal  is an American actionâ€"adventure series that ran from September 30 to December 17, 1983 on NBC. The show centers on the character Dr. Jonathan Chase, a shape-shifting man who possessed the ability to turn himself into any animal he chose.

That was the Friday Night show they expected to be a hit. I'm also stunned it wasn't remade or remodeled.

Yorkshire pud

Announced today. Germany's intelligence services are considering bringing back typewriters to use for secret documents instead of computers, as they're seen as more secure. 

MV/Liberace!

The ATMs in Vatican City offer service in Latin.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: MV on July 16, 2014, 10:34:12 AM

More to the point; that's the sexiest avatar you've used.. Modesty forbids me saying who's portfolio of self portraits were accidentally e mailed to you.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: MV on July 16, 2014, 10:34:12 AM
I wished I would've tried one to see if this is true. Would be really awesome if the figures were in Roman Numerals also! Because I could never have a zero balance!

The uncredited female vocalists on Frank Zappa's "Overnight Sensation" album were Tina Turner and the Ikettes.  FZ was recording at Ike's studio and asked if he could hire them for a few hours and would pay them more than their usual salary.  Ike consented to the request, but told him not to pay them any more than he did, or else they'd start bugging him for a raise.

albrecht

Quote from: jazmunda on July 15, 2014, 04:59:22 PM
Australia has the world’s largest cattle ranch and at 30,028 square kilometers, it is almost the same size as Belgium.
That is awesome. I've always liked this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Hutt_River
I like crack-pots who try to start their own countries. Though that ranch owner would have a better claim based on land size. wow.
But I was saddened to hear this news:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/9373273/Rightful-king-of-England-dies-in-Australia.html

jazmunda

In 1892, a group of 200 Australians unhappy with the government tried to start an offshoot colony in Paraguay to be called ‘New Australia’.

"The Song Remains the Same" was originally composed as an overture, without the half-time sections, that led into "The Rain Song."   

In 1968 in a hotel in Germany, Gene Vincent tried to shoot Gary Glitter ; he fired several shots and missed and a frightened Glitter left the country the next day.

so close

Heather Wade

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on July 16, 2014, 06:50:01 PM
"The Song Remains the Same" was originally composed as an overture, without the half-time sections, that led into "The Rain Song."

"The Rain Song" is played in an alternate tuning called Open C; but it is referred to by many guitar players as Open Page. D-G-C-G-C-D

zeebo

I like these music-themed ones ....

The Beatles song "Martha My Dear" written by P. McCartney - although probably about his longtime love interest Jane Asher - was named after his old english sheepdog, Martha.

zeebo

The bright orange star Arcturus, easily found following the handle of the Big Dipper, is part of the Acturus Stream.  This group of stars is not in the plane of the Milky Way galaxy and is likely a remnant of an ancient dwarf satellite galaxy, long since disrupted and assimilated into the Milky Way.

Quote from: missing transmission on July 17, 2014, 04:28:46 PM
In 1968 in a hotel in Germany, Gene Vincent tried to shoot Gary Glitter ; he fired several shots and missed and a frightened Glitter left the country the next day.

so close

That must have been a big hotel room.  Too bad he missed the predatory pedo.  The pictures I saw of him in recent years made my skin crawl.

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 17, 2014, 05:19:32 PM
"The Rain Song" is played in an alternate tuning called Open C; but it is referred to by many guitar players as Open Page. D-G-C-G-C-D

George Harrison was the inspiration for "The Rain Song."  He remarked to Bonzo that Zep never wrote any ballads.  In tribute to Harrison, the two opening chords are borrowed from Harrison's ballad "Something."

zeebo

Another Beatles related one ...

John Lennon's song "Sexy Sadie", originally was to be called "Maharishi", but he changed the title at George Harrison's request.  Lennon was actually writing about his disillusion with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (supposedly because he'd made a pass at Mia Farrow when she was at his ashram).

jazmunda

Australia’s first police force was made up of the most well-behaved convicts.

wr250

Quote from: jazmunda on July 18, 2014, 12:12:25 AM
get your hands off my penis
ah yes , i see you know you judo well.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: jazmunda on July 18, 2014, 12:12:25 AM

...and the current one is made up with badly behaved ones?

http://youtu.be/9CdVTCDdEwI

WildCard

Warren G. Harding’s Love Letters

Jan. 5, 1913
"Didn’t go to church today â€" it cost too much last Sunday < . . . > I like to dream in loose, flowing garb, because I can dream more intently. And I did â€" to alarming release. I called your name aloud thrice, begging you to come, and a voice from upstairs responded, wanting to know what I wanted. I was alarmed and sobered."

Sept. 15, 1913
"Wouldn’t you like to get sopping wet out on Superior â€" not the lake â€" for the joy of fevered fondling and melting kisses?"

March 12, 1915
"Jerry < . . . > told me to say that you are the best and darlingest in the world, and if he could have but one wish, it would be to be held in your darling embrace and be thrilled by your pink lips"

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/13/magazine/letters-warren-g-harding.html?_r=0

Jerry vs. Jerry

The Penis vs The Brain

Quote from: WildCard on July 20, 2014, 08:05:26 PM
Warren G. Harding’s Love Letters

Jan. 5, 1913
"Didn’t go to church today â€" it cost too much last Sunday < . . . > I like to dream in loose, flowing garb, because I can dream more intently. And I did â€" to alarming release. I called your name aloud thrice, begging you to come, and a voice from upstairs responded, wanting to know what I wanted. I was alarmed and sobered."

Sept. 15, 1913
"Wouldn’t you like to get sopping wet out on Superior â€" not the lake â€" for the joy of fevered fondling and melting kisses?"

March 12, 1915
"Jerry < . . . > told me to say that you are the best and darlingest in the world, and if he could have but one wish, it would be to be held in your darling embrace and be thrilled by your pink lips"

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/13/magazine/letters-warren-g-harding.html?_r=0

Jerry vs. Jerry

The Penis vs The Brain

Whoa! That's some steamy stuff!  I had an alarming release of my own while reading it.

Gorgeous George, famous for being the first professional wrestler to adopt an outrageous ring persona, was credited by both James Brown and Muhammed Ali (when he was still Cassius Clay) for giving them invaluable showmanship advice which contributed greatly to their fame and success.  James Brown's famous cape act was completely inspired by GG.

BTW, Al Sharpton, who was mentioned in another thread today, was James Brown's road manager for many years.  Too bad he didn't stick with that.

I wonder if Warren Harding ever referred to his alarming releases as "Blowing the dome off the teapot."

albrecht

Quote from: jazmunda on July 15, 2014, 10:15:20 PM

http://youtu.be/Ugb_TIpPoWA

I recall being excited about it and actually enjoyed it. But also remember David Letterman making so many jokes about it. Even in his book he makes fun of Manimal.
http://splitsider.com/2012/01/inside-the-almost-100-successful-1985-late-night-with-david-letterman-book/
But his skit "They Took My Show Away" was hilarious. (I liked Voyagers also.)
Classic Dave: An After-School Special