• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Winter Holiday Thread

Started by pyewacket, December 04, 2015, 12:33:34 AM

pyewacket

Thank you, Maureen! Beautiful holiday pictures! A Blessed and Merry Christmas to you and to all our Bellgab family!  :-*

Here's a play for the young ones.

Quote from: www.britannica.com
The Blue Bird, play for children by Maurice Maeterlinck, published as L’Oiseau bleu in 1908. In a fairy-tale-like setting, Tyltyl and Mytyl, the son and daughter of a poor woodcutter, are sent out by the Fairy Bérylune to search the world for the Blue Bird of Happiness. After many adventures, they find it in their own backyard.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Blue-Bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xetEMM51eRQ&t=157s

pyewacket

A friendly chess game with some holiday spirits and kanapke (sandwiches) for the holidays.  :)

Rix Gins

Quote from: pyewacket on December 23, 2016, 03:35:36 PM
A friendly chess game with some holiday spirits and kanapke (sandwiches) for the holidays.  :)

Wow.  I rarely play a game of chess but in this case I'll make an exception.

pyewacket

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 23, 2016, 04:21:28 PM
Wow.  I rarely play a game of chess but in this case I'll make an exception.

It could get interesting. I'd have to make it checkers  if I was going be able to play more than one round.  ;D

Ciardelo

Happy Holidays everybody!

I guess this is the season for miracles. This afternoon I had a slim FedEx parcel left for me behind my glass storm door. I'm not sure when it came but when I went to check on it, there was a young man startled by me opening up the main door. He was about 8 feet away walking up my sidewalk, scarf covering his face and a big "phablet" mushed up to his face as if he was talking to somebody. His disguise was completed by a little beagle  dog he probably stole from somewhere on a leash. He stopped up short and tried to look all casual as he wheeled to the right and continued walking. grrr.  >:(

The package was a gift for my sainted Mom so thank you little Santa angels for alerting me to go to the door when I did!

PS That dog probably left me a little present too, I'm not going to go look now, maybe later.

Ciardelo

Quote from: momijithing~awoo on December 23, 2016, 10:51:15 PM
喪女の一人クリスマス&イラストコーナー
This what happens when a Nation doesn't have to spend billions and billions on self-defense and war...God Bless you Japan, and may God Bless the upcoming peaceful unity we will achieve with our Russian and Asian brothers.

K_Dubb

This was my dear Uncle Ralph's favorite Christmas record.  He was a true audiophile whose only luxury was a magnificent stereo system, and he brought this one out every year to listen to at high volume.  The arrangements are by Robert Russell Bennett, composer of Victory at Sea and lots of other stuff.  The beginning of Joy to the World is Christmas-morning fresh, and I love the Handel intro to Away in a Manger.  It's got to be the most rousing rendition of Fum Fum Fum out there, and the March of the Kings at the end is magnificent.  I think they're singing the original French, but somewhere I heard this translation which has stayed with me:

I saw three kings
Upon the break of day
A-riding, riding from the foreign regions.
I saw three kings
Upon the break of day
A-riding, riding with their vast array.
The gifts of gold to the Christ they bore
Were guarded close by a host of warriors.
Their bucklers, shields, sparkling swords so bright
Were shining, flashing in the morning light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NUobe5jg1E

pyewacket

Thank you, K_Dubb- a superb composition- your Uncle Ralph had good taste!

Carol of the Bells is one of my favorites. The lyrics are often lost in all the creative instrumental versions it inspires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq73h6XZQGA

Merry Christmas to you all. I hope people can open their hearts to the healing we need to make our country whole again.

albrecht

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 23, 2016, 07:21:07 PM
Happy Holidays everybody!

I guess this is the season for miracles. This afternoon I had a slim FedEx parcel left for me behind my glass storm door. I'm not sure when it came but when I went to check on it, there was a young man startled by me opening up the main door. He was about 8 feet away walking up my sidewalk, scarf covering his face and a big "phablet" mushed up to his face as if he was talking to somebody. His disguise was completed by a little beagle  dog he probably stole from somewhere on a leash. He stopped up short and tried to look all casual as he wheeled to the right and continued walking. grrr.  >:(

The package was a gift for my sainted Mom so thank you little Santa angels for alerting me to go to the door when I did!

PS That dog probably left me a little present too, I'm not going to go look now, maybe later.
A neighbor caught a criminal on high-def video stealing an Amazon package from his door stop. He had set up a security cam. Gave it and the stills to the police. A neighborhood over an alert neighbor saw a suspicious car and called cops. They caught the car (an old Honda with one donut tire) totally filled with packages, hardly room for driver and accomplice. They were just following the Amazon van a block behind and running out to each house and snatching packages. The police notified the HOA and they send out an email to all residents to come to the station if they are missing a package until they could sort through them all. Luckily this suspect was caught redhanded and hopefully will be spending Christmas in the county lockup. Meanwhile I got a knock at the door last Sunday morning and it was my mailwoman who had delivered some packages- on Sunday!? She said they were working them overtime since so busy.

Merry Christmas to all! 80 degrees and muggy. Come on, for Christmas?  >:(
(another funny and so stereotypical I turned on NPR this afternoon and the show was about "non-believers" and "how did you come to not believe in God." On Christmas Eve day, of course.)

K_Dubb

Quote from: pyewacket on December 24, 2016, 11:21:18 AM
Thank you, K_Dubb- a superb composition- your Uncle Ralph had good taste!

Carol of the Bells is one of my favorites. The lyrics are often lost in all the creative instrumental versions it inspires.

Oh that is a nice one!  And good to see the words -- as a kid I thought it was "white people singing" hahaha.

I have baked several times with Buttery Sweet Dough -- you're right, it is much more potent than an extract.  I actually have to be careful it doesn't show too much over the handfuls of other spices.  But it does give a lovely, rich lemony flavor that sets everything else off well.  I am trying the plain Butter flavor today.

Ciardelo

Quote from: albrecht on December 24, 2016, 01:54:00 PM
A neighbor caught a criminal on high-def video stealing an Amazon package from his door stop. He had set up a security cam. Gave it and the stills to the police. A neighborhood over an alert neighbor saw a suspicious car and called cops. They caught the car (an old Honda with one donut tire) totally filled with packages, hardly room for driver and accomplice. They were just following the Amazon van a block behind and running out to each house and snatching packages. The police notified the HOA and they send out an email to all residents to come to the station if they are missing a package until they could sort through them all. Luckily this suspect was caught redhanded and hopefully will be spending Christmas in the county lockup. Meanwhile I got a knock at the door last Sunday morning and it was my mailwoman who had delivered some packages- on Sunday!? She said they were working them overtime since so busy.

Merry Christmas to all! 80 degrees and muggy. Come on, for Christmas?  >:(
(another funny and so stereotypical I turned on NPR this afternoon and the show was about "non-believers" and "how did you come to not believe in God." On Christmas Eve day, of course.)
Merry Christmas albrecht!

I listen to NPR a lot but they sure worship in their liberal elitist tower sometimes don't they? lol

My guy might have been following the FedEx truck; when I looked up the tracking it was only on my porch for a few minutes before I fetched it. He had his face all wrapped up in calm 50 degree weather because he was concerned about cameras I imagine...or maybe just a passerby in a crime of opportunity. Whatever. My USPS carrier will text me when I have a package coming. She's the best. I tipped her $20 but I wonder if that was enough. 69 degrees and rain forecast for tomorrow but we're doing Christmas tonight at my brother's because our children are all married and have other places to be tomorrow ;) Fine by me. We'll do the early children's Christmas Eve communion at the church, then the traditional taco bar , then presents, then home by a reasonable hour. Yeehaw, this grandpa gets to bed on time! lol (or at least home)

Rix Gins

Truly one of the most unusual and bizarre endings to any episode of the Jack Benny show, yet the audience was howling with laughter.  Still, a great episode that captures the comedic talent of Jack, Mel Blank and Rochester.  Plus Dennis Day sings a holiday song.

https://youtu.be/T7cML2elJIY

Taaroa

It's not christmas if it isn't 85°F at 10am

mikuthing01

Quote from: Taaroa on December 24, 2016, 05:12:45 PM
It's not christmas if it isn't 85°F at 10am

I love global warming I'm changing the water pump on a Dodge Magnum 360 tomorrow its going to be 60* fuck the cold ~desu

albrecht

Quote from: brigâ,,¢Â©2015 on December 24, 2016, 06:35:32 PM
:-*

Everyso often I like a nice fried SPAM sandwich. I like that they made the 'single-pack' as an option because nobody likes it except me (reminds me as a kid.) And it, apparently, it not the most healthy of items but as a treat a nice SPAM sandwich is good. I've noticed that they started making different varieties, but I haven't tried them.
ps: I've been told that SPAM is very popular in certain Islands in the South Pacific. Not due to the war where they got it but because it approaches taste to "long pig!" Which is a bit disturbing considering I like it. I blame the high salt content and nostalgia not the, apparent, human taste!
pps: we used to have a festival here in Austin called SPAM-A-RAMA where people would make sculptchers made of SPAM, SPAM 'sporting' events, etc. Until it died out, I think, and I think at one point Hormel threatened to sue.
Merry Christmas

Lilith

Quote from: albrecht on December 24, 2016, 06:51:33 PM
Everyso often I like a nice fried SPAM sandwich. I like that they made the 'single-pack' as an option because nobody likes it except me (reminds me as a kid.) And it, apparently, it not the most healthy of items but as a treat a nice SPAM sandwich is good. I've noticed that they started making different varieties, but I haven't tried them.
ps: I've been told that SPAM is very popular in certain Islands in the South Pacific. Not due to the war where they got it but because it approaches taste to "long pig!" Which is a bit disturbing considering I like it. I blame the high salt content and nostalgia not the, apparent, human taste!
pps: we used to have a festival here in Austin called SPAM-A-RAMA where people would make sculptchers made of SPAM, SPAM 'sporting' events, etc. Until it died out, I think, and I think at one point Hormel threatened to sue.
Merry Christmas

I love to put a couple very thin slices in the pan with an egg, and a small, cubed boiled potato to fry up in the morning, with my first cup of coffee.

starrmtn001

We Wish You a Merry Catsmas And A Happy Mew Year. :-*

https://youtu.be/aF8h6P6X-qw

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on December 24, 2016, 06:51:33 PM
Merry Christmas

I am not going to ask how you know about "apparent human taste"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaT1TTJquTM

Merry Christmas to all on Bellgab even curmudgeons like pud.