• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 12, 2018, 05:23:07 PM
Great stuff.  Thanks, guys.
It made me hungry and thirsty. I want a Maß of good German beer and some Schweinshaxe!

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on April 12, 2018, 05:49:04 PM
It made me hungry and thirsty. I want a Maß of good German beer and some Schweinshaxe!

I love German beer too.  Beck's made a special edition Oktoberfest brew some years back.  That stuff was great.  I tried to buy enough to have around for most of the year but I drank it all up and it was only November.  I think they still make it in the fall but not sold or shipped where I live. 

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 12, 2018, 06:58:53 PM
I love German beer too.  Beck's made a special edition Oktoberfest brew some years back.  That stuff was great.  I tried to buy enough to have around for most of the year but I drank it all up and it was only November.  I think they still make it in the fall but not sold or shipped where I live.
There are so many craft beer and new places that opened up that you can find good beer domestically brewed here of all types most seasons but, yes, traditionally certain beers were brewed during certain seasons*. I went to Oktoberfest in Munich once and it was pure awesomeness. My favorite beer was Augustiner-Bräu (still from wood barrel) but all the majors ones were great. There was a small hill sort of behind the beer tents and arcade where people, or all ages, genders, and dress would pass-out or puke. It was awesome, in broad daylight you'd see some businessman in a suit collapsed. Some crazy stories and times. It is like a State Fair or rodeo so goes on for weeks with more certain days for big events,so people would go after work etc. And dirndls? Don't get me worked up.

Even some of the more semi-major breweries brew stuff like Kölsch in season. I haven't seen Altbier being tried here. It is an interesting beer. An acquired taste mainly around Düsseldorf, something to do with top fermentation. And the name would be good in advertising when everything was "alternative." Ha. They missed the window.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on April 12, 2018, 07:24:03 PM
There are so many craft beer and new places that opened up that you can find good beer domestically brewed here of all types most seasons but, yes, traditionally certain beers were brewed during certain seasons*. I went to Oktoberfest in Munich once and it was pure awesomeness. My favorite beer was Augustiner-Bräu (still from wood barrel) but all the majors ones were great. There was a small hill sort of behind the beer tents and arcade where people, or all ages, genders, and dress would pass-out or puke. It was awesome, in broad daylight you'd see some businessman in a suit collapsed. Some crazy stories and times. It is like a State Fair or rodeo so goes on for weeks with more certain days for big events,so people would go after work etc. And dirndls? Don't get me worked up.

Even some of the more semi-major breweries brew stuff like Kölsch in season. I haven't seen Altbier being tried here. It is an interesting beer. An acquired taste mainly around Düsseldorf, something to do with top fermentation. And the name would be good in advertising when everything was "alternative." Ha. They missed the window.

Wow, that does sound like fun.  I really like your description of the hill.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 12, 2018, 08:05:21 PM
Wow, that does sound like fun.  I really like your description of the hill.
Somewhere here, I think, I posted a longer version of an Oktoberfest binge weekend. It was great, then a bit scary or questionable, and then a big hangover. But totally worth it. (At one point I left Weisn, the main area, with a group I met with some cute girl, becomes blurry, I 'came too' walking around a wooded park of some sort, in the countryside, with a loud punk band playing, a bonfire, and some yuuge skinhead-type guarding a mountain of bottles of beer in one of those sheltered/roofed structures you see in parks. I thought odd also because unlike here no coolers, just a mountain of bottles. He nodded and gave me a beer, I took in the "scene" and thought "1) where am I 2) I got to get out of Dodge.") Saw some blinking blue-lights and wandered down to road where the police had set up some kind of road block. Luckily at that time a taxi, I think, appeared dropping someone off and I got in. I think I recall a cop negotiating/demanding the taxi take me? I still had money but my hotel was a last minute find and not in the city but 'suburb' connected by train. Somehow paid the taxi when fare cost outweighed my cash and found myself wandering across a field near an industrial park but, somehow, found the hotel. And passed out for hours. Missed the free breakfast but managed to survive and tried to piece together the events: used train ticket, odd torn flier or tract? that seemed "right-wing" and maybe for a band or party, some change, a crumpled note with a phone number or some numbers, a mostly done blue box of mentholated Bavarian snuff (that brought back memories of doing that stuff with the girl's dad at one table, blowing brown snot out of  my nose that morning) etc. Still had my phone, passport, CCs, etc. So wasn't robbed, no major bruising, and no harm done. I consider it like my "Lost Weekend." Big beers all days and then various shots at times, I suspect was the cause.

Rix Gins

A snowy scene in Fléville, France.  When?  Take your pick, 1915, 16, 17 or 18.  Some war damage on the building to the right, but it looks 'old' to me.  There is always the possibility that the picture was taken after the war.

Rix Gins

Soldier Boy Ralph.  Most likely taken in France, 1918.

ShayP

In the 1960’s the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Pittsburgh Steelers played at Forbes Field in Oakland, although some Steelers games were played at nearby Pitt Stadium. Forbes Field was less than ideal for football games, and limited parking in congested Oakland was always a problem for fans of both teams.

By the late 1950’s the need for a modern, larger facility with ample parking was gaining support from both sports and government interests. One of the more unusual proposals was for a stadium built over the Monongahela River at Smithfield Street. A post card depicting the Monongahela stadium was even circulated around Pittsburgh, but because of high cost the stadium plan never got past the proposal stage.

Here is the post card rendition from 1958.

The name of the stadium is suspect to me because I doubt many 'out of towners' could pronounce Monongahela.  ;D   Very cool concept for a stadium though.

Rix Gins

Quote from: ShayP on April 18, 2018, 08:38:26 AM
In the 1960’s the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Pittsburgh Steelers played at Forbes Field in Oakland, although some Steelers games were played at nearby Pitt Stadium. Forbes Field was less than ideal for football games, and limited parking in congested Oakland was always a problem for fans of both teams.

By the late 1950’s the need for a modern, larger facility with ample parking was gaining support from both sports and government interests. One of the more unusual proposals was for a stadium built over the Monongahela River at Smithfield Street. A post card depicting the Monongahela stadium was even circulated around Pittsburgh, but because of high cost the stadium plan never got past the proposal stage.

Here is the post card rendition from 1958.

The name of the stadium is suspect to me because I doubt many 'out of towners' could pronounce Monongahela.  ;D   Very cool concept for a stadium though.

They should have built it.  I like those twin towers to the left.

Rix Gins

This is an interior shot of Creighton's Restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  Photo was probably taken in the late 1970's.  It doesn't say it on this postcard but I found another postcard online that stated that this room was called the Garden Room.  Research has revealed that the proprietors were especially proud of their apple pie.  The world's best apple pie, in fact.  Wish I could put that claim to the test but sadly, the place is long gone.

Here is a shot of the restaurant's exterior.  https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/163136  You can't see it in the picture, but the waterway runs right up to the front of the place.  I bet the photographer was standing at the waters edge. 

Ha, I like the ample parking for yachts and automobiles notation.  The owner, Charles Creighton was very rich.  He would buy yachts and fill them up with antiques.  Here is his interesting obituary: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1991-03-01/news/9101110165_1_apple-pie-mr-creighton-fort-lauderdale

Rix Gins

I'm sure most of you recognize this as being The Alamo.  As it looked back in the 1950's.

I guess there really is a basement in The Alamo.

https://youtu.be/FF8jcJPwvX4

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 20, 2018, 02:14:16 PM

I'm sure most of you recognize this as being The Alamo.  As it looked back in the 1950's.

This must be a fake - I can read the note on the back

GravitySucks

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on April 20, 2018, 09:58:45 PM
This must be a fake - I can read the note on the back

I think that is an ancient language they used to teach in school. Cursive.

Rix Gins

A linen style postcard called Desert Sweethearts.

Rix Gins

This would be a fun trolley to ride on...as long as it wasn't raining.

By the way, the Seashore Trolley Museum is still there: https://trolleymuseum.org/

Rix Gins

Not in my collection but I wish it was.  This is the Southern Pacific train depot at Eugene, Oregon.  It was built back in 1903.

Northbound Coast Starlight and the Eugene-Springfield station in February 2018.
By Pi.1415926535 - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=66253530

Wonder of wonders, it's still there.  Congrats, people of Eugene, for preserving your old buildings, but to be honest, it has been 'rehabbed' three times over the years, but still cool that the basic shape of the building still remains.  As I have stated elsewhere here in the postcard thread, I was just a child when my family lived in Eugene, thus I have no memory of the depot shown here.  The depot in Monroe, Oregon is different, though.  I have a direct link to that one, and will show a postcard of it in the future.   

Rix Gins

The Seven Seas Restaurant in Tallahassee, Florida.  Nothing much online about the place but there is some interesting info regarding the restaurant's owner/manager.

Brothers Johnny and Jimmy Patronis ran the place for awhile before buying another restaurant closer to the ocean, called Captain Anderson's Restaurant.  That was fifty plus years ago, and Captain Anderson's is still in existence to this day, and so are the Patronis brothers, though they have handed down the restaurant business to family members.  http://www.newsherald.com/news/20171023/founders-jimmy-and-johnny-patronis-honored-on-capt-andersons-golden-anniversary

Here is another interesting article on Johnny.  http://panamacityliving.com/top-johnny-patronis-moonspinner-view-penthouse/

This kind of looks like the same Seven Seas building, but not sure whats there now.

Rix Gins

A greeting card from 1913.

So what do you wear while canoeing? Furs?  Fins?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 03, 2018, 02:03:14 PM
A greeting card from 1913.

So what do you wear while canoeing? Furs?  Fins?

Did we just have a time slip?

Rix Gins

Good grief, September 3, 1909.  This has got to be one of the oldest postcards in my collection.  I have another postcard like this one and also from the same sender.  I must have bought them together though I can't remember where or when. 

Good luck on reading the message.  The sender liked to utilize every micro inch of the postcard.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 05, 2018, 03:00:28 PM

Good grief, September 3, 1909.  This has got to be one of the oldest postcards in my collection.  I have another postcard like this one and also from the same sender.  I must have bought them together though I can't remember where or when. 

Good luck on reading the message.  The sender liked to utilize every micro inch of the postcard.
This is the opposite of my 'thank you' notes send to some old relative about some Christmas gift that I didn't really want. Write really big and spacing to get the job done and add one line that is personal so that it didn't look generic 'thank you for the gift' etc.

Rix Gins

There was a big eBay postcard auction earlier today and I made some bids on some of them.  I won a number of bids and lost a bunch of them too.  I especially liked these three here but I didn't bid high enough, so they are gone with the wind now.  Oh well, the guy offers over a thousand postcard for bid every Sunday so it might just be possible to see them again someday.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 06, 2018, 08:01:40 PM
There was a big eBay postcard auction earlier today and I made some bids on some of them.  I won a number of bids and lost a bunch of them too.  I especially liked these three here but I didn't bid high enough, so they are gone with the wind now.  Oh well, the guy offers over a thousand postcard for bid every Sunday so it might just be possible to see them again someday.

Wills Point is the final resting place for the futuristic-looking monorail named "Trailblazer" at Fairpark (where the Cottonbowl and State Fair is.) It was converted into a home!

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on May 07, 2018, 04:20:11 PM
Wills Point is the final resting place for the futuristic-looking monorail named "Trailblazer" at Fairpark (where the Cottonbowl and State Fair is.) It was converted into a home!

Wow, pretty cool info there, mr a.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 07, 2018, 04:25:17 PM
Wow, pretty cool info there, mr a.
It is weird how things made back then look more 'futuristic' than stuff we make today!

Rix Gins

This postcard reminds me of one of those slide show features on the msn home page.  The ten worst foods that you can possibly eat, and there was a picture of some buttered ears of corn.  I skipped the feature because I like corn on the cob and I don't want to know why they are bad for me.

]

Rix Gins

A postcard from 1917 that I always took to be a depiction of a wounded soldier being cared for by a nurse.  On closer examination, it could also be a get well soon type of card with added prayer.  If I had come across this card in more recent times, I would not have purchased it.  I don't like it when people remove postage stamps before offering their postcards for sale.

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 09, 2018, 03:53:22 PM
...  I don't like it when people remove postage stamps before offering their postcards for sale.

Why would they do that?  It's an integral part of the card

Rix Gins

Quote from: PB the Deplorable on May 09, 2018, 08:24:13 PM
Why would they do that?  It's an integral part of the card

I know.  Perhaps it was a King George stamp that somebody wanted for their stamp collection.  I'm guessing that it's a British postcard.