• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

.torrents?

Started by Mordred478, October 16, 2008, 03:00:41 PM

Caruthers612

Not that I would, but I've heard some people download things using torrents. The problem such a person might have, hypothetically, is that although he could locate the torrents he wanted and launch them in one or other downloader type program, they would then just sit there and rarely download. What O what would such a hypothetical person do?

Not M

Frys Girl

This is a conversation you must follow up on by PM. Big brother is listening!

moop

There's nothing illegal about using torrents to download stuff. Granted there is stuff you shouldn't download but there is plenty that is legit.

Some torrents aren't seeded well and will never be available to download. If that's not the problem then you probably have to open a port in your firewall. There are lots of good tutorials out there for getting torrent clients to work properly.

MV/Liberace!

mordred... did you ever figure this thing out?  did you try port forwarding in your router?

you might also try using uTorrent's encryption feature which will help to hide the torrent traffic from your ISP.  some ISPs are engaging in bit discrimination.  that is, they are slowing traffic (bits) for bit torrent applications and other traffic they disapprove of.  i think the fcc eventually slapped these ISPs down for doing it (comcast was the worst offender), but maybe they are still jerking people around.  always always always encrypt bittorrent traffic.  and don't use bitcomet.  use uTorrent.

regarding the specificity of your original statement in this thread, i had torrents that downloaded REALLY slowly, but only once have i found a torrent that stopped downloading altogether.  maybe that's because i primarily use demonoid.com for my torrent activities, and they usually seem to have a higher quality population of torrents.  they're invite only, and if you want an invitation code, let me know and i'll try to generate one for you.

danDNA

can i ask a bit of a techy question (sorry Michael)? with this forum how do you send a mass message to all members if you are administrator (like on my own forum)?

Max

dan, its in the admin area...

danDNA

max, thanks for the reply, but i cant find it in there:(

yours
frustrated in england

slipstream

Torrenting is a great way to distribute stuff.  I do it every month  ;D

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: danDNA on February 17, 2009, 07:09:27 PM
can i ask a bit of a techy question (sorry Michael)? with this forum how do you send a mass message to all members if you are administrator (like on my own forum)?
admin> news and newsletters> newsletters

select the option to send the "newsletter" to all groups using the private message system.  that's it.  i'm using 2.0RC1 rather than 1.xx so it might be a bit different than described here.

danDNA

aw thanks michael, you really are our leader (on this forum).

dan

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: danDNA on February 23, 2009, 08:57:35 AM
aw thanks michael, you really are our leader (on this forum).

dan
glad to help. 

and please don't think of me as a leader.  i just happen to have an admin login to the forum software.  that is all.

EvB

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on February 23, 2009, 03:06:28 PM

and please don't think of me as a leader.  i just happen to have an admin login to the forum software. 

Right, think of hims more like Elder Brother.  He CAN lower the boom on you if he should so choose - but meanwhile it's your job to be the biggest pain in his ass possible    :D

danDNA

oh no michael, i think you are the leader (of this forum) ;)

lead away....