• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20130925 - Matthew Alper - God Part of the Brain

Started by MV/Liberace!, September 25, 2013, 04:48:13 AM

aldousburbank

Quote from: MV on September 25, 2013, 09:23:37 PM
I agree. I'm not bothered by him at all. I think a lot of people feel threatened by what Alper has to say, but I don't really get why people feel he's condescending.
I don't think he's condenscending. I simply think he sounds like any other apologist, but this for the religion of reductionism. It's safer, but even more boring than the others. Mr. Heart is a pump, love is a chemical dude. Great. How's that working out for getting the freak on?

Quick Karl

Awesome questions last night, Ward!

Quote from: Ward on September 25, 2013, 09:20:17 PM
Indeed Quick Karl. The more i learn on the road of knowledge, the more i realize i am only on my first few steps.

Quote from: Ward on September 25, 2013, 09:01:27 PM
A lot has happened since Art last talked to Alper about this topic. Honestly i am not at all convinced that consciousness is localized in the physical brain. From all indications consciousness appears to be a non local phenomenon.

There is a theory that consciousness is only a recent phenomenon-- only a few thousand years old. (Origin of Consciousness in the Bicameral Mind-Jaynes)

This maybe of interest to the curious and maybe a reflection on alper's personality. Google nycguywithanedge

aldousburbank

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 25, 2013, 09:29:51 PM
There is a theory that consciousness is only a recent phenomenon-- only a few thousand years old. (Origin of Consciousness in the Bicameral Mind-Jaynes)
On my bookshelf. Required reading.

widespread1

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on September 25, 2013, 09:27:56 PM
I wouldn't say he's condescending, that's probably just people reacting to the subject. What's driving me nuts are the damned non-sequiturs. I can't believe he used the musical analogy to support his theory.

That is also something to think about.

If you talk about how bad television is to a person who watches a lot of television they will start feeling like the enemy.

AshamanWolf

I am not feeling threatened or offended, really. I was just offering an opinion.

phrodo

This guy is totally illogical. Big Bird... duh... ::)

cosman

Quote from: canadiancommie on September 25, 2013, 09:30:17 PM
This maybe of interest to the curious and maybe a reflection on alper's personality. Google nycguywithanedge
He looks Jersey Shore..

widespread1

Quote from: AshamanWolf on September 25, 2013, 09:31:56 PM
I am not feeling threatened or offended, really. I was just offering an opinion.

how dare you! im offended.

Ward

Quote from: cosman on September 25, 2013, 09:32:22 PM
He looks Jersey Shore..

Hmmm this guy has a ridiculous ego. The whole POF page is testament to that. And jersey shore.

nofAcedAgent

Quote from: AshamanWolf on September 25, 2013, 09:31:56 PM

I think most people were responding to the wormhole message art read, not your comment friend!

SaucyRossy

I'm not a fan of LSD but shrooms are beautiful.

Also, Art literally asked the question I wanted him to after he mentioned his bad LSD trip.

steelbot

Darth Vader coming at ya when Art's talking -

GRRRRRRRRRR he doesn't know if it damaged his brain or not unless he was put in an MRI right away!
MY Wormhole pump

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: nofAcedAgent on September 25, 2013, 09:35:00 PM
I think most people were responding to the wormhole message art read, not your comment friend!

correct.

PrairieGhost

Just to be clear on my earlier comment I'm not angry at Alper. I just think he has a very high liking for himself. The only thing bothering me right now (even though I don't agree with him) is his heavy breathing! Lol

SaucyRossy

Is it common for people who had bad LSD trips to end up in mental hospitals?

Chine

Quote from: Spinner on September 25, 2013, 09:27:40 PM
No. Bruce Lipton wrote "The Biology of Belief." 
Dr. Lipton's work had a big impact on my life and way of thinking.
I think he is absolutely right.

Yes, familiar with his work and the book.

phrodo

Quote from: Quick Karl on September 25, 2013, 09:34:26 PM
Brain Damage...

Art is quick!

Dude was in a mental hospital because of drugs ... had to take more drugs to get out .... thinking here he should still be in the mental hospital instead of on Art Bell. Seriously - he's apparently had so many drugs he thinks he's an expert on the brain.

SaucyRossy

Art is literally on fire tonight with the questions he's coming up with.