• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Soccer thread

Started by Zetaspeak, June 14, 2018, 03:16:41 PM

Rix Gins

Quote from: Jackstar on June 21, 2018, 04:56:09 PM

The same for you guys. Keep it 100.

Please join us Jack.  Watch a game from beginning to end and you just might enjoy it.  I didn't know anything about soccer when I watched my first World Cup game but after seeing how emotional the players were and what great pride the fans had in their teams and respective countries, well, I was hooked.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 21, 2018, 05:34:12 PM
Please join us Jack.  Watch a game from beginning to end and you just might enjoy it.  I didn't know anything about soccer when I watched my first World Cup game but after seeing how emotional the players were and what great pride the fans had in their teams and respective countries, well, I was hooked.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KTvYMfyJKRo

Jackstar

You got me all wrong here. I love football.

I recognize the routine impenetrability of my sarcasm. It keeps the ladies guessing.

albrecht

Quote from: Taaroa on June 21, 2018, 05:28:19 PM
Croatian players singing a Balkan wars era song after they won against Argentina:
[tweet]1009909874334068736[/tweet]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayRy-0ynQ64

That is awesome! Kidding, of course... best is Old Firm stuff but also the Serbian etc firm matches! As I've said maybe only so-called Holligans can save Europe. Politicians have sold out., Firms, Ultras, and club/nat supporters should UNITE, against the invaders and common enemy to Europe and enemy within. Non-violently, of course. And only, with chants, and where legal, self-defense. No violence.  ;)

paladin1991

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 20, 2018, 07:53:32 AM
The latest joke doing the rounds in Germany:

Teacher asks her class what their fathers do for a living. Answers range from Plumber, cook, engineer, lorry driver etc.....all except little Jochen who sits with hands over his face hoping not to be noticed.

His teacher however does notice and asks Jochen direct

"come Jochen, aren't you going to tell us what your Daddy does?"

"Yes miss" says Jochen and taking a deep breath.

" My daddy is a go-go dancer in a gay club. He goes there at 9 in the evening and afterwards they pay him to take part in gay orgies at the club"

Silence reigns in the classroom. The teacher dismisses the class except for little Jochen and she talks to him in soft tones.
" Now Jochen - you know you made up that story. Is your Daddy's job really so embarassing for you?"

"yes miss, it is" says Jochen and tears flow from his eyes as he says

" My Daddy plays for the Germany national football team"

;)

Have to tell that one to meine frau.

Rix Gins

That was a nice, hard fought game earlier today between Serbia and Switzerland.  I don't know much about either team but I was hoping that Switzerland would win, though why, I don't know.  Switzerland did in fact win after scoring two points in the second half.  Switzerland 2, and Serbia 1. 

The Switzerland coach, Vladimir Petković, is an odd looking egg isn't he?  Now lets see, who does he remind me of?

Vladimir Petković                                                                 Lurch

paladin1991

Moms.  Where are all the soccer moms?

Taaroa

It's funny that Sweden has a player named Lustig.  ;)

(a terrible joke for the German speakers out there)

ge30542

GERMANY!
That was friggin amazing.

Taaroa

Quote from: ge30542 on June 23, 2018, 01:59:32 PM
GERMANY!
That was friggin amazing.
It was a good game, but the way Sweden lost was kind of shitty. Germany could still be eliminated at the group stage.

ge30542

Quote from: Taaroa on June 23, 2018, 02:05:56 PM
It was a good game, but the way Sweden lost was kind of shitty. Germany could still be eliminated at the group stage.

Agreed, but for pure sports drama, that was really something.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Taaroa on June 23, 2018, 12:33:21 PM

Funny

albrecht

Quote from: ge30542 on June 23, 2018, 02:09:04 PM
Agreed, but for pure sports drama, that was really something.
The announcers mentioned but the camera wouldn't cover some dust-up between Swedish and German coaches and reserve players after the match.

Refs also have been bad and the instructions to not call off-sides and reliance on video after the effect and relying on video for things is slowing the game and the video-replay guys also are odd in what they choose to look at.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on June 23, 2018, 02:29:05 PM
The announcers mentioned but the camera wouldn't cover some dust-up between Swedish and German coaches and reserve players after the match.

Refs also have been bad and the instructions to not call off-sides and reliance on video after the effect and relying on video for things is slowing the game and the video-replay guys also are odd in what they choose to look at.

I wanted to see that dust-up.  All the commentators have to watch the same camera feed and sometimes whoever is controlling the cameras will replay things that the commentators are talking about, but they wouldn't take the bait from hearing the American commentator talking about the shoving match going on and they refused to show it.  Are the Russians operating the video cameras?  Nothing like a little censorship, Kremlin style, I suppose.  Still and all, a great game and it was exciting seeing Germany pull off the win in the closing seconds, though I'm sure most of us here were expecting it sometime within the last ten minutes of the game.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 23, 2018, 04:32:48 PM
I wanted to see that dust-up.  All the commentators have to watch the same camera feed and sometimes whoever is controlling the cameras will replay things that the commentators are talking about, but they wouldn't take the bait from hearing the American commentator talking about the shoving match going on and they refused to show it.  Are the Russians operating the video cameras?  Nothing like a little censorship, Kremlin style, I suppose.  Still and all, a great game and it was exciting seeing Germany pull off the win in the closing seconds, though I'm sure most of us here were expecting it sometime within the last ten minutes of the game.
Putin/Russia has a big crackdown on the things that would make Russia look bad and would not surprise me if camera men were told not to focus on "things" that might be unacceptable. Including economy, homos, hooligans, general crime, any technical problems, political protests, prostitution, etc. And FIFA, which is maybe more corrupt than Russia, the Olympic Committee, or some Chicago politician, also might have told media how to cover and what not to cover. I know that a naked guy fell on some supporters the other day (not in stadium but in some bizarre crime) but coverage of ANY hooligan fights has been zero, even though there was much boasting and threats and some Russian politicians even advocated in the past. Word is some some headguys arrested or got a strong "talking to" from authorities and criminal syndicate figures and various pressures have been brought to bear plus EU countries blocked their better hooligans from traveling.

paladin1991

Quote from: Taaroa on June 23, 2018, 12:33:21 PM

yeah, as Grav said, funny.

Rix Gins

Thanks, Taaroa.  Looks like somebody said something to start it off.  That one Swedish player was pretty pissed off, I noticed.  Ha, and that short ref had a lot of nerve trying to restore order during the shove match.

Zetaspeak

Quote from: Taaroa on June 20, 2018, 10:26:40 AM
Speaking of exaggerating injuries...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qShDegyMv8E

His name is literally Pepe. Of course he's a troll lol

The World Cup brings Worlds Together

Switzerland pair Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri face two-match bans for their goal celebrations in their side's World Cup victory over Serbia.

Football's world governing body Fifa is investigating whether they broke rules on political and offensive messages.

Both players are ethnic Albanians from Kosovo, where a Serbian crackdown on the Albanian population only ended with Nato military intervention in 1999.

"Furthermore, a preliminary investigation has been opened against the coach of the Serbian national team, Mladen Krstajic, for alleged statements made in the aftermath of the said match."

It is unclear what the investigation into Krstajic refers to, but in comments to Serbian reporters on Saturday, he said of match referee Felix Brych: "I wouldn't give him either a yellow or red card, I would send him to The Hague. Then they could put him on trial, like they did to us."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44592846

Yorkshire pud

Oh. England beat Panama 6-1.  ;)

Jackstar

This is where you belong.

albrecht

Quote from: Zetaspeak on June 24, 2018, 09:17:15 AM
His name is literally Pepe. Of course he's a troll lol

The World Cup brings Worlds Together

Switzerland pair Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri face two-match bans for their goal celebrations in their side's World Cup victory over Serbia.

Football's world governing body Fifa is investigating whether they broke rules on political and offensive messages.

Both players are ethnic Albanians from Kosovo, where a Serbian crackdown on the Albanian population only ended with Nato military intervention in 1999.

"Furthermore, a preliminary investigation has been opened against the coach of the Serbian national team, Mladen Krstajic, for alleged statements made in the aftermath of the said match."

It is unclear what the investigation into Krstajic refers to, but in comments to Serbian reporters on Saturday, he said of match referee Felix Brych: "I wouldn't give him either a yellow or red card, I would send him to The Hague. Then they could put him on trial, like they did to us."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44592846
Ha. That is awesome. I hope some Russian hooligans get them. Kidding, of course. Love when politics, sectarianism, and racism comes up with football. Not sure why it is not allowed. Certainly monkey chants, sectarian anthems, and even uneducated drunks fighting each other is better than genocide, lynchings, or wars. Let them get it out of the system over football. Interestingly my theory was football phenomena was a way "they" redirected nationalism or pride in one's nation to a "safe space" and help continue the divide and conquer strategy. Why should hooligans, really, be fighting each other over a football team, or even nation, when Muslims are invading all of them? Seems petty, to me.

ps: Kosovo is Serbian.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on June 24, 2018, 08:55:01 PM
Ha. That is awesome. I hope some Russian hooligans get them. Kidding, of course. Love when politics, sectarianism, and racism comes up with football. Not sure why it is not allowed. Certainly monkey chants, sectarian anthems, and even uneducated drunks fighting each other is better than genocide, lynchings, or wars. Let them get it out of the system over football. Interestingly my theory was football phenomena was a way "they" redirected nationalism or pride in one's nation to a "safe space" and help continue the divide and conquer strategy. Why should hooligans, really, be fighting each other over a football team, or even nation, when Muslims are invading all of them? Seems petty, to me.

ps: Kosovo is Serbian.

You drunk again?  ;)

Rix Gins

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on June 24, 2018, 08:41:53 PM
Oh. England beat Panama 6-1.  ;)

They did indeed.  I hope the momentum carries them through when they meet Belgium.  It will be their biggest test to date.

That was a fun game between Colombia and Poland.  Columbia won it 3 to 0.  Legendary Columbian players René Higuita and  Carlos Valderrama were sitting in the stands together.  Both of them still had their wild hairstyles but I'm sure the original hair has long since been replaced with wigs.

I'll never forget poor Higuita back at the 1990 World Cup.  He was a show boater and liked to wander way out of his keeper box.  Only this time it cost him, big time.
https://youtu.be/DvDnMVi2pPs

Taaroa

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 25, 2018, 03:52:36 AM
I'll never forget poor Higuita back at the 1990 World Cup.  He was a show boater and liked to wander way out of his keeper box.  Only this time it cost him, big time.
Someone showed me this video of him earlier today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRj3dKKp9tI

Zetaspeak

That Japan-Senegal 2-2 game was a lot of fun

Russia was brought down to reality today with Uruguay

If you guessed both Spain and Portugal would tie their games today, I would accuse the fix is in lol. Who would have thought that.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Zetaspeak on June 25, 2018, 02:57:40 PM

If you guessed both Spain and Portugal would tie their games today, I would accuse the fix is in lol. Who would have thought that.

It was certainly a surprise to see both teams tie.  Thanks to the goal count Spain has a possible cake walk game against Russia, while Portugal has to face Uruguay next.

albrecht

Quote from: Zetaspeak on June 25, 2018, 02:57:40 PM

No fixes going on. Soccer players, FIFA, and Russia are well known to be the most ethical, non-corrupt entities in existence and also there is no betting or incentive to fix matches, shave points, make bad or "no" calls by refs or video-replay officials, etc.  ;)