• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

paladin1991

Made Bananas Foster last night for dessert.  Quick, luscious...mmmmmm. 

pate

My mystery ingredient in the 'fridge tonight is: RANCH DRESSING (made from scratch, with a mortal & pestle;  garlic and kosher salt to start, fine chopped parsley &tc...)

This is some kinda long version chicken salad...

1.  Chix Breast (freezer burned or not, simple choice)
  *Bay leaf
  *chopped onion (old and moldy is preferred here)
  *fresh cracked peppercorns
  *three wilted parsley stems with leaves
  *water to cover(filtered or bottled)
       Bring to boil together then reduce to simmer until Chicken is brought to local "cooked" temperature standards {may cause cancer in California}.
       Quickly drain and discard cooking liquid, reserving Chix Breast.  Cool with ice to 40F (chix breast).

2.  Dice cooled chicken breast.  Add:
   *A bit of mayo (oil and egg yolks sternly whipped, or a bit from a prepared jar if you must {may cause cancer in California})
   *tarragon (dry or fresh, more dry than fresh if you have the choice, but a touch, just a touch of either whichever way you go.)
   *brunoise celery (something like a very small dice, think julienne carrots cut into cubes)
   *small dice fresh Red Bell Pepper (for color and flavor)
   *Ranch Dressing (if store-bought, omit)
   *FOLD above together

3. Good Crusty Bread
   *use bread knife, slit whole loaf or mini loaf lengthwise
   *apply sandwich spread as generously as dietary restrictions allow
   *Enjoy~!

pate

I question this particular individuals interpretation of "Black & Blue" or "Boston Blue"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3L8cO-xet8

I enjoy his take on the strip loin.  Oui, this guy is obviously French.

akwilly

can I use my gas grill inside? If not what is the difference between the grill and a gas stove?

pate

Tonight I attempt a Shrimp Ramen with Vegetables:

Shrimp Ramen:

1 packet Ramen Noodles (chix flavored paradoxically*)
8 (or so) freezer-burned shrimp
4-6oz Peas 'n Carrots (frozen)
1 Bay Leaf
Cayenne Pepper (ground fine) to taste
Thyme (dried) to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
* (or above seasonings can be substituted with Old Bay {really?})

Bring water to boil as per Ramen noodle package directions.  Before adding noodles add spices &tc.

Right.  Throw in those noodles, they need time to cook, but after a minute or so add the freezer-burned shrimp (shell on)..

After those shrimp start to look partially cooked, and the Ramen looks close to being done throw in the frozen Peas and Carrots (don't be alarmed if the boiling stops, just wait, frozen Peas and Carrots were cooked before they were frozen, No Worries!)

Back to boil/simmer (let your own personal fear of undercooked shellfish be the guide here) until done.

Decant and N'Joy!~

*omit Chicken Flavor Pak, unless you are a bold Gourmand.

pate

I'm eating this now...

Hmm, beware of the little shrimp legs 'n shells they can be a bit crunchy if you are not ready.

I do not note that the freezer burn is that big of an issue, some crunchiness may be noted if the freezer-burned shrimp are not shelled before the recipe attempt.

The second bay leaf was a surprise, I recommend attempting this dish sober.

I adulterated the original recipe with a bit of Garlic Powder and a bit more Onion Powder while in the Test Kitchen, also drained most of the cooking liquid off, and some weird foamy stuff with spices.

Well the weird foamy stuff and spices were there when the "boil" (I promised a simmer but wasn't paying attention) was turned off.  More sticks and twigs, and with the shrimp legs, one cannot be too careful...

Think I put too much cayenne in there, I taste thyme, but mainly cayenne... hmm.

This whole Ramen thing may have been a "vehicle" for the freezer-burned shrimp.

BTW:  Freezer-burned shrimp is awesome this way, I think the Ramen part can safely be omitted.

I am Not Sure, but I believe even freezer burned shrimp can be overcooked....

wr250

applesauce
ingredients :
apples, tart is best
water

core and slice apples into chunks, dont bother peeling.
put in pot
cover with water
boil till soft (5-15 minutes depending on the apple variety)
once soft fish out the chunks,  run them through a food mill , or do what i do and run them through a grinder (mine attaches to my mixer).
eat
i usually do bushels at a time, so i reuse the water. once done i chill the water and drink the (now apple) juice.
use a tart apple such as jonathan's , granny smiths or 20 oz.

wr250

Quote from: chefist on September 20, 2015, 11:53:13 AM
Very nice...no cinnamon?
my kids like it plain , so thats how i make it. they can add whatever later.

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on July 12, 2015, 04:59:01 PM
I'll post a down and dirty home-made recipe soon!
when (pipian mole?) haha, waiting...btw I like it spicy.

zeebo

I'm mostly an unskilled cook, so instead, I'm about to share with you a very delicious snack combo. 

* spicy calabrese salami (thinly sliced)

* double-cream brie (must be imported from france, not some flat-tasting american knock-off)

* asahi beer (no other beer will work, the super dry nature of asahi is essential)

These three, consumed in this order, create a happy circle of spicy meatiness, followed by creamy richness, followed by crisp beerness.  Repeat in this order until bliss is achieved.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Jackstar on July 01, 2015, 04:48:44 PM
The barrier to entry in this field is very high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=085BfdJBKcI

Why is that guy married to his brother, the transvestite?

berry

Chefist are you a chef or chemist or both? I want to remember from an old podcast or one of your posts that you were also a chemist. Just wondering. I like this thread.  Making cheese is actually on my bucket list. I never seem to have time so it is one of those things that I go back to thinking that things are good if I have enough time to make cheese.

chefist

Quote from: albrecht on September 20, 2015, 05:18:55 PM
when (pipian mole?) haha, waiting...btw I like it spicy.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/223261/mole-sauce/

This is a good start! Now, substitute half the peanuts for pepitas (roasted pumpkin seed kernals).

Also fire roast, peel and puree:

1. 3 Hatch Chilis
2. 2 Poblano Chilis

Add one chipotle chile in adobo sauce...2T of the adobo sauce...

Eliminate the sugar! I like it spicy too!

chefist

Quote from: berry on September 27, 2015, 05:20:27 PM
Chefist are you a chef or chemist or both? I want to remember from an old podcast or one of your posts that you were also a chemist. Just wondering. I like this thread.  Making cheese is actually on my bucket list. I never seem to have time so it is one of those things that I go back to thinking that things are good if I have enough time to make cheese.

I am both, but have not cooked professionally for many, many years...

Yes, cheese making is coming back! Many of the old culinary art forms and crafts are making a strong comeback! I'm working on my own bacon recipe and process right now! I'll post pics once my cold smoker is up and running!

berry

Quote from: chefist on September 27, 2015, 05:25:46 PM

Yes, cheese making is coming back! Many of the old culinary art forms and crafts are making a strong comeback! I'm working on my own bacon recipe and process right now! I'll post pics once my cold smoker is up and running!

Ok! So I'm obviously not losing my mind.  I look forward to more recipes, thanks!

chefist

Quote from: berry on September 27, 2015, 05:29:20 PM
Ok! So I'm obviously not losing my mind.  I look forward to more recipes, thanks!

I do owe some folks here a few recipes...I'm going to go back and check out which ones I need to get posted...

wr250

Quote from: chefist on September 27, 2015, 05:25:46 PM

a box ,a hot plate ,and a cast iron pan ?

chefist

Quote from: wr250 on September 27, 2015, 06:08:46 PM

a box ,a hot plate ,and a cast iron pan ?

Well the temperature cannot exceed 100 deg F, also, I will be using smoke that is generated by charcoal, which gives a deeper dimension of flavor...so I will have a smokebox that will connect to the main smoking chamber via a long duct...

You can make one that way, and it works pretty well...but I'm looking for controlled temperature throughout the smoking chamber and the use of a charcoal fire source...

https://youtu.be/IQiq5Dwzdj8

paladin1991

Quote from: chefist on September 27, 2015, 05:39:01 PM
I do owe some folks here a few recipes...I'm going to go back and check out which ones I need to get posted...

Can you re-post the one where you pour Scotch into a glass and drink it?  I forget how that one goes.

zeebo

Quote from: paladin1991 on September 28, 2015, 01:12:54 AM
Can you re-post the one where you pour Scotch into a glass and drink it?  I forget how that one goes.

1. Buy some good scotch e.g. a nice single malt or high-end blend.
2. Pour scotch into glass over ice and/or mix with water/soda.
3. Realize you suck for ruining a good scotch like that.
4. Dump it out and start over.
5. Pour scotch into glass, neat.
6. Sip and enjoy.

ACE of CLUBS

Quote from: zeebo on September 28, 2015, 01:21:17 AM
6. Sip and enjoy.

Ahhhhh ........ 'The Scottish Folks' ..... kind'a like the cousins that are never mentioned at the family reunion.
Now what do those fine folks do ......
They cook and eat the 'gut-bag' ... while everyone non-Scottish eats the roasts, chops, and steak.  If you weren't looking, they'd be gnawing on the hooves too.
'Ginger Men' dressing up in their mothers skirts ..... woman wanna-be's ?  Who cares ?
Take great delight in throwing lumber while grunting/groaning almost in a sexual way ..... can't figure that one out, oh well ....
Make the most distasteful sounds to be heard anywhere ..... gut-bag pipes, stepping on the cat's tail is more harmonious ....
And finally, they take great pride .... and lend their Scottish name to making a very fine camp stove gas ... single malt/double malt,  red label/ black label ..... who cares ?  Why fuck-up a perfectly fine ice cube with that stuff ?

paladin1991

Quote from: zeebo on September 28, 2015, 01:21:17 AM
6. Sip and enjoy.

Yeah, that was it!

paladin1991

Quote from: ACE of CLUBS on September 28, 2015, 02:18:14 AM
Ahhhhh ........ 'The Scottish Folks' ..... kind'a like the cousins that are never mentioned at the family reunion.
Now what do those fine folks do ......
They cook and eat the 'gut-bag' ... while everyone non-Scottish eats the roasts, chops, and steak.  If you weren't looking, they'd be gnawing on the hooves too.
'Ginger Men' dressing up in their mothers skirts ..... woman wanna-be's ?  Who cares ?
Take great delight in throwing lumber while grunting/groaning almost in a sexual way ..... can't figure that one out, oh well ....
Make the most distasteful sounds to be heard anywhere ..... gut-bag pipes, stepping on the cat's tail is more harmonious ....
And finally, they take great pride .... and lend their Scottish name to making a very fine camp stove gas ... single malt/double malt,  red label/ black label ..... who cares ?  Why fuck-up a perfectly fine ice cube with that stuff ?
Reported.

Barfly

I made two hot dogs in the microwave last night, delicious.
All this preparing and stuff is so complicated, thats what restaurants are for, you take a girl out on a date to a restaurant and well..you know the rest.
After that you get her to make you breakfast   8)

b_dubb

I call this the Martinez Two Step

1 Order pizza from Dominos
2 Beg the delivery driver to pick up some toilet paper for you
3 Complain bitterly about how the pizza was late
4 If that doesn't work pay for pizza with cash you printed on your color printer
5 Switch back your address sign with your neighbors
6 Enjoy your free pizza while the Secret Service carts away your neighbor

Barfly

Quote from: b_dubb on September 28, 2015, 09:40:32 AM
I call this the Martinez Two Step

1 Order pizza from Dominos
2 Beg the delivery driver to pick up some toilet paper for you
3 Complain bitterly about how the pizza was late
4 If that doesn't work pay for pizza with cash you printed on your color printer
5 Switch back your address sign with your neighbors
6 Enjoy your free pizza while the Secret Service carts away your neighbor
With a plan like that you are part of the Illuminati, i always suspected it but now i know,,you bastard
now get back and give us a podcast you slacker

starrmtn001

Quote from: Barfly on September 28, 2015, 12:00:21 PM
With a plan like that you are part of the Illuminati, i always suspected it but now i know,,you bastard
now get back and give us a podcast you slacker
I'm with ya Barfly.  Please Chefist, please.  I beg of thee to bless us with thy presences and thy podcast.  Amen.

P.S.  And what Barfly said too. ;D

P.S.S.  How about a weekly cooking show podcast?