• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

pate

Today's half-baked adventure began about a week and a half ago when I decided that the half-gallon of unconsumed milk in the fridge was due to turn into some sort of spontaneous cheese.  Rather than let nature (or un-nature as my fridge contents can sometimes produce) take it course I decided to force the issue and see what sorts of simple cheese could be made from this nearly-but-not-yet-curdled whole milk.

Lime juice turned out to be the one lacking ingredient, then I figured I could use a juicer and some other bullshit (a small measuring cup, and some other crap, I think the 5-for-$5 frozen Swanson Potpies and other unnecessary shiet).

----------------------------
Ricotta Cheese I
1 quart Milk (supposedly any milk, I had WAAAAAY past "due" but still drinkable and good Whole Milk)
3 fluid ounces fresh lime juice

Allow milk to stand outside refrigerator until it achieves room temperature.
Pour milk into non-reactive (stainless, glass or ceramic  NOT ALUMINIUM!) pot.
Slowly heat milk to 180F, hold at 180F for 5 minutes.
Stir in fresh lime juice and stir until curds form.
Pour mess into cheesecloth lined chinacap/strainer/chinois and allow to rest undisturbed for 1 hour.
For a drier finished cheese tie-off cheesecloth and hang in refrigerator overnight, or use immediately as you would store-bought.

yield approx. 1 cup Ricotta per quart of milk.

----------------------------------------

I elected for the drier ricotta, I weighed it today and seems like my yield was 10 oz for the 1/2 gallon of milk, plus a bunch of whey (the watery part) say 1 1/2 quarts whey.  I froze the whey and will do something insane with it.  I think I will see if it can be used to make bread?  I dunno, I can always throw it out later.

Up Next;  Graham Cracker Crust

pate

Now I need a Graham Cracker Crust, being the whitey that I am, I like a crust on my damn cheese cake.

Graham Cracker Crust I
1 1/2 Cups Crushed Graham Cracker
1/3 Cup White Granulated Sugar
6 Tablespoons Melted, cooled butter

Grind up/smash graham crackers.
Mix in Sugar
Mix in melted butter.
Pack mixture into pan and bake 300F-350F for 8-10minutes
(Cook time/temp depends if you are making a no-bake pie or not)

If you are making a pudding pie or something cook the crust hotter and longer.  If you are baking a filling cook the crust cooler and shorter.
Easy.

--------------------------------------

I did 300F for 10 minutes, worked great.
Smelled pretty good too

Next up;  Some Cheesecake Recipe I stole and modified from the intar-tubes

pate

Okay this will probably have to be a two post thing to get all the pictures in (thanks for the new server eMCee!, If I ever get out of my hobo-penury I will hit that tip jar, mang!)

++++++++++++++++++++

Cheesecake I

2 (8oz) packages Cream Cheese
1 (16oz) tub o' Ricotta (I used the 10oz by weight of dry I made)
1 1/2 Cup White Granulated Sugar
4 eggs (I think I used AAA Extra Large)
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice (I omitted this because my ricotta had a pretty good tart factor from the lime juice I used to make it)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3 Tablespoons Corn Starch(see below)
3 Tablespoons Flour{?} (What kind of flour, why the cornstarch, is this AP flour with cornstarch to lighten it to Cake Flour?  I don't know, I used my***see below)
1/2 Cup butter, melted and cooled
1 Pint Sour Cream

***(I used my custom Pastry Flour[a few pages back or so I give the recipe for my custom Pastry Flour], and 6 Tablespoons of it.)

Mix together Ricotta and cream cheeses until well blended.
Add in the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT Sour Cream and blend.
Finally stir in sour cream and pour into spring-form pans.

Bake in 350F oven 1 hour, then turn oven off and leave undisturbed in oven 1 hour more.
Remove from oven and cool completely before refrigerating (refrigeration apparently helps flavors develop or something)

++++++++++++++++++

My timer for the 1st hour of active baking just went off, man they puffed up.  Didn't crack too badly as I was afraid of.

Here's some pics of the process, wonder how many I can fit?  I hope five.

Next up;  Cheesecake Cot'd (moar pics)

pate

CheeseCake cot'd

Right, so I forgot to mention a couple issues I had.

1.  I forgot to put the melted butter in until AFTER the sour cream (I don't think it mattered)
2.  In trying to get the "batter" to settle in the pan my cheap-ass ALDI springform pan came loose at the bottom (I blame my hobo-budget) but I think it will be fine.
3.  This recipe seemed to make WAY more filling than was required for an alleged 9-inch spring form pan, so I dumped the extra into some custard cups for some crustless CheeseCake.
4.  The cheap-ass ALDI springform pan I got last year is not water-tight so I couldn't put the GrahamCrackerCrusted CheeseCake in a bain-marie (Water-bath) but I did get the custard cups into a water-bath so for a first time ever Cheesecake attempt I get two experimental results.  Bonus!

Moar pics:

ediot:  I will post the last few pics (2 already taken, plus a few more after the cake cools) later.  I know no-one cares, but my OCD demands it.  Later, haters!

ksm32

Quote from: albrecht on January 21, 2018, 12:48:40 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tNRNCzq7Jrw

Now it works. Al, I don't know what to say. I suggest you watch Letterkenny! seek it on the interwebs

whoozit

SredniVashtar

Quote from: whoozit on June 02, 2018, 03:49:30 PM
Steak au Poivre tonight.

Call that a kitchen? Where are all the crusty stains and litter trays?

chefist

Wow...forgot about this thread...ha

Making Demi Glace today...for steak Diane...however, your idea of steak au poive sounds great too.

whoozit

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 02, 2018, 03:52:07 PM
Call that a kitchen? Where are all the crusty stains and litter trays?
To be honest I an embarrassed there are some pie crumbs on the stove top.  Figured I’d cook this first because I’ll have to clean the cooktop tonight.  If I was Falkie I’d pencil mt the cleaning for the fifth or sixth of never.

Edit:  Time to eat.  I think it will go well with the pitcher of Sangria I made.

chefist

Quote from: whoozit on June 02, 2018, 03:58:42 PM
To be honest I an embarrassed there are some pie crumbs on the stove top.  Figured I’d cook this first because I’ll have to clean the cooktop tonight.  If I was Falkie I’d pencil mt the cleaning for the fifth or sixth of never.

Don't bother...to make an omelette, you have to break a few eggs.

whoozit

Quote from: chefist on June 02, 2018, 03:56:37 PM

Making Demi Glace today...for steak Diane...however, your idea of steak au poive sounds great too.

I made that and posted pics on Discord.  It is really just about the same dish.  I’ve still got two frozen servings of Demi glacé left.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: whoozit on June 02, 2018, 03:58:42 PM

Edit:  Time to eat.  I think it will go well with the pitcher of Sangria I made.

Are those fondant potatoes? Do you want to adopt me?

paladin1991

Hey Chefist, when you are not on line living your life on BG or hawking cartridge refills, are you the graveyard line cook at Denny's?  You show some promise kid.  A couple of more years and you just might be ready for the big show.  The breakfast rush.

chefist

Quote from: whoozit on June 02, 2018, 04:03:34 PM
I made that and posted pics on Discord.  It is really just about the same dish.  I’ve still got two frozen servings of Demi glacé left.

Freezing it is best...I just happen to have some pork and beef bones around. I usually make it with roasted chicken bones, which work well too. Yes, freezing is the best thing to do...a little goes a long way...especially if you finish the sauce with cognac, wine, cream, butter, etc.

whoozit

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 02, 2018, 04:04:59 PM
Are those fondant potatoes? Do you want to adopt me?
Those are.  I already have enough kids, sorry.

chefist

Quote from: paladin1991 on June 02, 2018, 04:05:11 PM
Hey Chefist, when you are not on line living your life on BG or hawking cartridge refills, are you the graveyard line cook at Denny's?  You show some promise kid.  A couple of more years and you just might be ready for the big show.  The breakfast rush.

Close, but no cigar...Waffle House.

chefist

Quote from: whoozit on June 02, 2018, 04:06:08 PM
Those are.  I already have enough kids, sorry.

Nice...I'm making dauphinoise potatoes and Provencal tomatoes...

SredniVashtar

Quote from: chefist on June 02, 2018, 04:06:23 PM
Close, but no cigar...Waffle House.

We have nothing that equates to  an American diner here. It's hopeless.

chefist

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 02, 2018, 04:11:03 PM

Isn't any pub or cafe that serves "English Breakfast"? I guess that would be the closest thing...in the East, most traditional American diners are actually owned by a significant percentage of Greeks...why? I have no idea.

whoozit

Quote from: chefist on June 02, 2018, 03:56:37 PM

I’ll post here when I make something interesting.  I’m having two Indian coworkers over this week.  They want me to make Buffalo chicken pizza. I’ll be cooking it on my Green Egg.

GravitySucks

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 02, 2018, 04:11:03 PM

What does any of this have to do with Heater Wad?

chefist

Quote from: whoozit on June 02, 2018, 04:15:49 PM
Ill post here when I make something interesting.  I’m having two Indian coworkers over this week.  They want me to make Buffalo chicken pizza. I’ll be cooking it on my Green Egg.

Interesting that they chose that particular type of pizza...did they say why?

whoozit

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 02, 2018, 04:15:53 PM
What does any of this have to do with Heater Wad?
This is a pleasant respite from the two Falkie threads.

whoozit

Quote from: chefist on June 02, 2018, 04:17:06 PM
Interesting that they chose that particular type of pizza...did they say why?
Spice.  They love my Buffalo chicken wings because I amp them up with Indian chili powder.

chefist

Quote from: whoozit on June 02, 2018, 04:18:37 PM
Spice.  They love my Buffalo chicken wings because I amp them up with Indian chili powder.

Makes sense...have you practiced tandoori on your egg yet?

whoozit

Quote from: chefist on June 02, 2018, 04:20:29 PM
Makes sense...have you practiced tandoori on your egg yet?
Not through the top hole on a skewer but I have made some the Indians like.  I figured it was time to start Indian cuisine now that I have people that can tell me if it is authentic or not.