• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

pate

Quote from: yumyumtree on April 12, 2017, 09:32:03 PM
So what is on everybody's Easter menu, assuming that you observe Easter and are cooking?

Nothing to do with Easter, but I do notice a lack of updates on my latest experimental culinary adventures in this thread.

The 20lb beef brisket I bought on sale (cryovac) and threw into the freezer last year for this past St. Pat's finally thawed out in time for me to brine it around the 1st of April https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FPGJrzzq_I this thing was a "brontosaurus leg" according to the cashier when I bought it as I recall...

Anyhow, I trimmed it and split it and found that I had much more brisket than I really needed for corned beef purposes (Rueben Sammies) and realized that the corned beef and pastrami are the same brined beast only finished differently, took liberties with said leg...

That is not what I am about hear, the immanent(sp) project is pork spareribs which I have decided to braise in apples and sauerkraut/choucrute(sp) brown sugar and juniper berries (which I have finally acquire'd in quantity) as possible additions.

Mmm..

Here is a baby pic of my pastrami for you looky-lou's:

ediot:  This is a pre-brined/bris'd pic, apogees...

K_Dubb

I learned about a new spice.  Mahlepi is the ground pits of cherries and is used in Greek Easter bread.  It smells a little musty in the jar, not too promising, but oh the baked aroma is powerful, heavenly and indescribable.  I mixed it with cardamom since I never bake without itâ€"what's the point?â€"and tried a couple small braids.

I also learned that yolk mixed with sugar, applied before the second rise and also before baking, makes a very dark, shiny glaze.  I should have applied again with five minutes baking time left in order to fill in the gaps formed as the loaf rises in the ovenâ€"next time!

A couple more recent baking pointers that made me go huh:

With a rich dough, greased hands and board work better than adding flour, which can make the bread drier and tough.

Baker's grease, a mix of shortening, oil and flour you keep on hand, is vastly superior to any stupid spray for releasing.  Cleanup is a little messier, but well worth it.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on April 27, 2017, 09:35:42 PM
I learned about a new spice.  Mahlepi is the ground pits of cherries and is used in Greek Easter bread.  It smells a little musty in the jar, not too promising, but oh the baked aroma is powerful, heavenly and indescribable.  I mixed it with cardamom since I never bake without itâ€"what's the point?â€"and tried a couple small braids.

I also learned that yolk mixed with sugar, applied before the second rise and also before baking, makes a very dark, shiny glaze.  I should have applied again with five minutes baking time left in order to fill in the gaps formed as the loaf rises in the ovenâ€"next time!
Looks tasty. I scored a Kongetinn (Pewter) Norskie wine bottle opener at a local estate sale for $4, NIB even. Neat Viking scene on the handle. To add to my collection. Utility as an opener necessitates Viking strength,' or 'Sardine Power,' as I call it, compared with the more modern openers that use mechanical leverage. But still a cool, random find because nothing else of that type in the house there. Lots of other stuff. Like this one (advertised as "Game of Thrones" ha.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vintage-Konge-Tinn-Norwegian-Pewter-Wine-Set-Cork-Screw-Ring-Game-of-Thrones-/162465369634?hash=item25d3b0ce22:g:kX0AAOSw2xRYmUQe

albrecht

Quote from: pate on April 16, 2017, 12:54:41 AM
Nothing to do with Easter, but I do notice a lack of updates on my latest experimental culinary adventures in this thread.

The 20lb beef brisket I bought on sale (cryovac) and threw into the freezer last year for this past St. Pat's finally thawed out in time for me to brine it around the 1st of April https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FPGJrzzq_I this thing was a "brontosaurus leg" according to the cashier when I bought it as I recall...

Anyhow, I trimmed it and split it and found that I had much more brisket than I really needed for corned beef purposes (Rueben Sammies) and realized that the corned beef and pastrami are the same brined beast only finished differently, took liberties with said leg...

That is not what I am about hear, the immanent(sp) project is pork spareribs which I have decided to braise in apples and sauerkraut/choucrute(sp) brown sugar and juniper berries (which I have finally acquire'd in quantity) as possible additions.

Mmm..

Here is a baby pic of my pastrami for you looky-lou's:

ediot:  This is a pre-brined/bris'd pic, apogees...
Update? Like both types of meat and love a good Reuben sammich (screw you Norry with your 711 Turkey sammiches) and never thought much about the differences though Pastrami maybe peppered?

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on April 27, 2017, 09:52:44 PM
Looks tasty. I scored a Kongetinn (Pewter) Norskie wine bottle opener at a local estate sale for $4, NIB even. Neat Viking scene on the handle. To add to my collection. Utility as an opener necessitates Viking strength,' or 'Sardine Power,' as I call it, compared with the more modern openers that use mechanical leverage. But still a cool, random find because nothing else of that type in the house there. Lots of other stuff. Like this one (advertised as "Game of Thrones" ha.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vintage-Konge-Tinn-Norwegian-Pewter-Wine-Set-Cork-Screw-Ring-Game-of-Thrones-/162465369634?hash=item25d3b0ce22:g:kX0AAOSw2xRYmUQe
a
Haha that is very cool, never seen a wine opener like that, must have been made for a rich chieftain with expensive, imported tastes!  I have a candleholder in that pattern with the legend "Heilag Olav og hans Menn" above and below, so now you know who it is.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on April 27, 2017, 10:01:00 PM
a
Haha that is very cool, never seen a wine opener like that, must have been made for a rich chieftain with expensive, imported tastes!  I have a candleholder in that pattern with the legend "Heilag Olav og hans Menn" above and below, so now you know who it is.
Oh yeah. I recall stories of other situations/dead people where hair and nails still growing though. You know when I was last time I was there (too long ago though) there was an old timer was using word that I thought was something like "mile," apparently this is, or was, a thing, even though they went metric a long time ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_mile

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on April 27, 2017, 10:16:23 PM
Oh yeah. I recall stories of other situations/dead people where hair and nails still growing though. You know when I was last time I was there (too long ago though) there was an old timer was using word that I thought was something like "mile," apparently this is, or was, a thing, even though they went metric a long time ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_mile

Haha 6 modern miles or so based on "a suitable distance between rests when walking" those old guys were tough

GravitySucks

This space intentionally reserved for Pate

⏬⏬⏬⏬⏬⏬⏬⏬⏬⏬⏬⏬⏬⏬⏬⏬

pate

Quote from: albrecht on April 27, 2017, 09:56:14 PM
Update? Like both types of meat and love a good Reuben sammich (screw you Norry with your 711 Turkey sammiches) and never thought much about the differences though Pastrami maybe peppered?

The pork and spare-ribs turned out awesome.  I even took a bit to a co-worker and friend-type and told him "if Germans had souls, this would be their soul-food."  He agreed.  Heh. 

For about a 5lb(?) rack of ribs I used 2x16oz Sauerkraut and 3 each apples (total 9 apples):  Roman, Braeburn & Granny Smith, some amount of brown sugar, extra sauerkraut juice from home-made sauerkraut (about 1 cup), Not Sure how many Juniper Berries, and about half a tall-boy of Urban Chestnut Brewing Company's "German Style-Pilsner" {left over from the night before, or the night of that post I made}, and a few "ice cubes" of beef stock.  Cut the ribs down with the meat cleaver, and dusted them with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.  Used a dutch oven on the stove-top to sear/brown the pork, deglazed with the beer and kraut mix, set the ribs on top and threw into a 325(?)F oven for a few hours.

The first bit I made a batch of creamed spinach and some mashed potatos, whoa!  RICH!

After that I just ate the ribs with mashed potatoes and used the abundance of kraut/apple stuff as a vegetable (I made probably three times the volume of the pork with the kraut/apple mix_)  Some days I just ate the ribs and kraut, it was the shizxnizzle!

As for the Pastrami, it turned out great.  I ended up using all the corned beef to make the pastrami;  my sister and I have birthdays about 3 weeks apart and I proposed to her husband (he with the smoker) that we do a birthday shindig where we smoke a bunch of stuff to include my pastrami, only she didn't call or speak to me before tweeting out to the hungry hordes of nephews, nieces, brothers, sisters, darlings, mothers, fathers &etc that the PATE'strami would be on hand for sampling (I had a couple Boston Butt roasts for pulled pork for those common masses... sheesh_)

Thankfully, I was spared the locust hordes and was able to save a few hunks that I refrigerated then steamed a few days later.  Which I will never do again.  Next time I make a pastrami, it will get smoked then refrigerated and sliced.  The smoke, cool, steam, cool slice method yielded a drier end product than I wanted, still tasty, and mayo will fix it, but still after steaming the chunks and seeing the melted fat on top of the steam liquid (FLAVOR!!!) and eating the bits of slightly dry meat, not going to go that route again.

I did buy a hunk of swiss cheese the other day, and ended up with about 8 or 9 9oz packages of sliced (dry)pastrami in the freezer for sammies....

Right now I am excited about the spiral Sliced Ham that I glazed with the manufacturer provided packed of honey glaze, but instead of water I used some of my mom's cherry jelly that I melted in a saucepan for the honey glaze (I tried something similar with a Pate's home-made strawberry syrup last year but it was a bit runny, or was it raspberry syrup?  canna recall...)  That is happily sitting next to the 10+ ribroast that was on sale last week that I am dry-aging.

Anyhow, the pulled pork, and spiral cherry/honey glazed ham will make ham sandwiches and CUBANSANDWICHES, with my garlic dill pickle slices from last year, and some bread rolls I hope to make in a few days (I want to make rye bread for the pastrami swiss too).

All of that sandwich talk is ancillary to the dry aged ( I meant to carve & freeze the steaks tonight, but alas, the rib-roast is on a sheetpan rack, and lightly wrapped with old-school butcher paper dry-aging another few hours 'till morning) rib-eyes I will have at $6.49/lb~~~!!!!

I ate one of those rib-eyes that had only a 2 hour dry age in the fridge with my neighbor, I got the end cut and gave him a fat next to the end cut.  (he OWES me)

With my own Montreal Steak Seasoning, grilled yellow squash and some mashed Yukon Gold potatos (all were on sale at some point...Muahahaha!)

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 13, 2017, 10:52:11 PM
This space intentionally reserved for Pate

So I have these cry-o-vac Pork Tenderloins in the freezer from some sale last year, and I am thinking sandwiches, slice some thin steaks off and macerate the hell out of them, pan-fry and mayo....  I didna plant lettuce, do you think beet greens, store bought vidiallia thick sliced and lord help me if I don't have a tomato ripe yet...  Hmm, maybe get them breaded and frozen for a quick meal?

I write too much...

ediot:  ALB;  Yes pepper on the pastrami, but apparently coriander in equal proportions.  I omitted the coriander in the brine as I don't much like it's tart/something flavor but for the rub on a pastrami before smoking, you have to have it.  I brined with a kitchen sink mix of whole spices (mustard seed, celery seed bay leaf, black peppercorns, star anise, etc et all long list, but NO coriander seed) for about three weeks, then the rub for low smoking was per 5 lbs: 3 TB black peppercorns, 2 TB Corriander seed, 1 tsp mustard seed, 2 tsp onion powder, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1 TB cardamom (or something like that) grind the whole seeds a bit in a coffee grinder to break them up or mortar and pestle them.  Press this stuff all over as thick as you can on the corned beef (soak the corned beef in pure water for about 24 hours, and change the water at least once or it will get salty) THEN put the rub on the beef, and stick it in the fridge overnight with the rub and smoke in the morning, or let it sit in the fridge for 8 hours at least with the rub on before smoking.

Smoke to 140 internal (or a half hour per pound or something like that?) the rub will look burnt on the outside but the meat will be perfect, you can then take it out of the smoker and eat right away or cool in the fridge and slice for sammie later.

I used brisket as the cut of meat, which is great for immediate eating, but I think I will try a roast of some sort next time since I am looking for sandwich slices.  Something not too lean, but not too fatty either.  Maybe a rump-roast?

I think pastrami and corned beef were originally made from brisket because it was a "throw-away" hunk of the cow, not anymore, any piece of meat should brine just as well and maybe yield a better end product for cold-slices for sammies...

That is all...

GravitySucks

Thanks per the upload pater

My goto for pork tenderloin is a dry cajun rub or wishbone italian dressing, sear them on the grill on high and finish them in foil until medium/medium rare. Most folk overcook pork. If I am in the mood and have the attention span, I won't use foil to finish, but it takes constant attention to get them just right. I don't use a meat thermometer. I use the cleaver pressing the meat trick to judge the tenderness that comes with medium rare.

p.s. I think top round would make a great pastrami.

pate

Somewhere in my intartube meanderings on the pastrami, I read that originally (sic,?) it was a Hungarian/Balkan area cured meat that was made from pork that the wandering jews assimilated and turned into a cured beef.

This would lend credence to you marinated pork loin story.  But the Pork Tenderloin I refer to is the sandwich which is properly breaded and fried at minimum.  Marinating is of course indicated, even brining might be in order.

I have no lettuce, but I do have a bevy of beets growing.  Onion must be store bought if utilized, and it is clearly the wrong time of year for a garden tomato, but perhaps the picture below will give you an idea of my intentions for a portion or the whole of the whole pork tenderloin in the freezer (I think the below pic is of a pork loin, but the concept is the same although the cut is different..._)

chefist

Happy Mother's Day!

Doing some smoking today...pork loin with pecan.

Quote from: Chefist on May 14, 2017, 01:47:51 PM
Happy Mother's Day!

Gee Chefist.  Your lawn looks dead.    :P

chefist

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 14, 2017, 02:24:27 PM
Gee Chefist.  Your lawn looks dead.    :P

Ha. The rocks are coming in quite nicely, thank you.  :D

damon

Quote from: Chefist on May 14, 2017, 02:25:17 PM
Ha. The rocks are coming in quite nicely, thank you.  :D
welcome back chefist

pate

Quote from: Chefist on May 14, 2017, 01:47:51 PM

Chef, as an avid baker I was wondering what your opine might be on the "bromated" flours available for mainly commercial baking applications vs/&or v.a.vs the specialty flours that use such common stuff as citric acid to achieve the same result with longer proofing thyme.

On the pork loin adventure, I have often thought of a pecan nut encrusted pork tenderloin smoked with the veritably unknown black walnut wood to confuse and bemuse unsuspecting diners.  As anyone who has visited the appropriate establishments knows: it is important to note the difference betwixt "strips" and "tenders" (both should be tipped, imho...)

Wunderbar, mein hairy0ne!

ed? knows

albrecht

Quote from: pate on May 14, 2017, 11:31:52 PM
Chef, as an avid baker I was wondering what your opine might be on the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_bromate]"bromated"[/b] flours available for mainly commercial baking applications vs/&or v.a.vs the specialty flours that use such common stuff as citric acid to achieve the same result with longer proofing thyme.

On the pork loin adventure, I have often thought of a pecan nut encrusted pork tenderloin smoked with the veritably unknown black walnut wood to confuse and bemuse unsuspecting diners.  As anyone who has visited the appropriate establishments knows: it is important to note the difference betwixt "strips" and "tenders" (both should be tipped, imho...)

Wunderbar, mein hairy0ne!

ed? knows
Thanks for the detailed update on the pastrami and other recipes. Made me hungry. THIS Potassium Bromide thing reminds of ownership of certain guns. Pre-ban baking products. Ha.

damon

What are you cooking Chefist?

Quote from: Conspiracy Therapist on December 23, 2017, 05:16:07 PM
I have no words . . . .

Just broil in large oven until brown. What could be easier?

starrmtn001

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on December 23, 2017, 05:24:31 PM

Just broil in large oven until brown. What could be easier?

Ya know, if the wise men rode turkeys in those days,  this could be the traditional Christmas dinner. :o

pate

A few months ago I went to a local gastro-pub for lunch with co-workers and they had on the menu Rabbit Mole or lapin al mole or somesuch.

I love Chicken Mole and also like the lapin so I decided to give it a try.

Freaking delicious.

Here's a Random Rabbit Mole Recipe I found after the briefest of intar-tube searches, I note it comes from a culinary tome entitled "1001 Ways to Cook Rabbit."  Interesting.

Anyhow, I've never made mole sauce, and have been browsing around to find a few variations.  I am curious what the authentico article might involve, my being a purist and all.

I think it properly involves either adobo or ancho chiles?

Chicken Mole has been on my list of "things-to-do" in the culinary department for some time now.

ksm32

I've made some delicious vagina lately. Smell my face!

paladin1991

Quote from: ksm32 on January 20, 2018, 12:08:43 AM
I've made some delicious vagina lately. Smell my face!

Comeondude!  Your mom doesn't count.

Nuwave un-fried chicken a-la-Chefist is now a staple in my home.  Thank you Chefist

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on January 20, 2018, 12:21:54 PM
Nuwave un-fried chicken a-la-Chefist is now a staple in my home.  Thank you Chefist

Hmmm...I like the new wave era of music and chicken. Can you link me to the recipe?

ksm32