• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

wr250

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 02, 2015, 09:38:39 AM
Hell, brother, I know you have tasted these.  What do you think?  This sounds like Hi-Pro survival biscuits  Alright if I share this on a couple of forums?
i stole it from alton brown so why not?

wr250

Soft Oatmeal Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups quick cooking oats
optional:
dried fruits, such as a cup of raisins works well too.
DIRECTIONS:
1.   In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour.
2.   Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie with a large fork dipped in sugar.
3.   Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

notes: you can grind your own oat flour (or buy it) and substitute ~1.5 c oat flour for 1 c AP flour. i usually mix 1:1 on the oat flour, adding more as i see fit. usually end up with about 1 more C. the oat flour spreads more easily so longer refrigeration is needed.this helps prevent the spreading.  id say a minimum of 3 hours.
these will be much  more crisp so keep an eye on them.
i have a daughter on a "no white flour" kick so i made these to help accommodate that.

akwilly

I smoked a pork butt the other day using A1 dry rub. Don't use that crap it adds no flavor

YUMMUS
(Pumpkin and White Bean Dip)

Blend in food processor until smooth:

1 C canned pumpkin purée
2 T tahini or smooth peanut butter
2 1/2 T lemon juice
1 T olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp salt
1 15-oz can Cannelini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
2 garlic cloves

Serve with pita or corn chips, crackers or vegetable dunkers

This dip is very quick and easy to prepare, and has a lovely pale orange color.  Perfect for Fall, but will taste great on July 20, too!

ShayP

Beer & Cheese soup

Ingredients:

8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
8 oz. Guinness.  (Drink the rest of the pint)  ;)
1 bottle Newcastle Brown Ale
1 pint heavy cream
1/2 lb. butter (1/4 lb for roux; 1/4 for saute)
1 c. onion (finely diced)
1/2 c. grated carrot
1/2 c. celery (finely diced)
1 clove fresh garlic (minced) or 1 tsp. granulated
1 tsp. pepper
1 tbs. salt
1/4 c. flour

1. To make the roux, add 1/4 lb butter to a skillet on low-med  heat. As it melts add flour and whisk until the flour is light brown and thickens. It will look bubbly and smell a little nutty.  Remove from heat and save until final step.  (If roux appears too thin just add a little more flour during the cooking process)

2. In a pot, melt 1/4 lb butter and add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.  Saute (sweat) until soft and translucent.

3. Add beer and bring to a boil.  Once beer comes to a boil, reduce to medium head then add cheese and cream.  Stir frequently until cheese is melted thoroughly. *Do not allow cheese to rest at the bottom too long...it will stick and/or scorch.

4. Once the beer and cream mixture is melted and incorporated , increase heat until almost boiling.  Using a wide spoon or preferably a spatula, add the roux and whisk.  Continue until soup starts to thicken.  It will rise in the pan slightly as the roux thickens and begins to boil.  Once that happens remove from heat and serve.

You could garnish it with some more cheese or croutons.  I prefer toasted rye.  8)

Also- roux's can be made in advance and stored in the fridge or freezer.  Just make sure to be patient and stir/whisk them in thoroughly to avoid lumps.

Enjoy.  :)

yumyumtree

What's on your July 4 menu?

Because I'm volunteering for the Everett Fourth of July Parade(Stars and Stripes Forev erett) we are having it July 6.

Hamburgers(my favorite recipe from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook)
Hotdogs(I get Hebrew national and some tofu for vegetarians)
Bean salad (also from BHG cookbook)
Lettuce salad with my own homegrown lettuce
Flag cake(this is a post Sept. 11 recipe from the Orange Co. Register by way of Tacoma News Tribune.  I will be making it with raspberries instead of strawberries.)
Whatever beer and snacks people bring.

chefist

Wow more great recipes folks! I'm hungry! I'll be smoking a London broil and beef short ribs today...I'll send pics when they are ready!

chefist

Quote from: wr250 on July 02, 2015, 07:14:56 PM
Soft Oatmeal Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups quick cooking oats
optional:
dried fruits, such as a cup of raisins works well too.
DIRECTIONS:
1.   In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour.
2.   Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie with a large fork dipped in sugar.
3.   Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

notes: you can grind your own oat flour (or buy it) and substitute ~1.5 c oat flour for 1 c AP flour. i usually mix 1:1 on the oat flour, adding more as i see fit. usually end up with about 1 more C. the oat flour spreads more easily so longer refrigeration is needed.this helps prevent the spreading.  id say a minimum of 3 hours.
these will be much  more crisp so keep an eye on them.
i have a daughter on a "no white flour" kick so i made these to help accommodate that.
Try substituting coconut oil for the butter....also try adding craisans, chocolate chips and coconut all together... Amazing! My daughter's favorite!!!

nbirnes

Quote from: chefist on July 03, 2015, 03:24:17 PM
Wow more great recipes folks! I'm hungry! I'll be smoking a London broil and beef short ribs today...I'll send pics when they are ready!

Love the recipes! I'll contribute some from Cheaper and Better when I'm sure of the audio recipes I'm playing with for Bella-Haven. Meanwhile, I'm running tunes to test the stream, which you might enjoy as you cook up a storm:

http://50.7.71.219:7453/live

Permanent trusty link. Phone number when we're talking on Skype is (215) 488-7374.

Cooking up a storm for the Blitz. We need the energy.

Here's a really good Mrs. Dash substitute:

Spicy Mrs. Dash

1/4 cup Dried Minced Onion*
    1/4 cup Dried Minced Green Pepper*
    1/4 cup Dried Minced Celery*
    5 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
    2 tablespoons chopped dried parsley
    2 tablespoons basil
    1 tablespoon oregano
    1 tablespoon savory
    1 teaspoon marjoram
    1 teaspoon coriander
    1 teaspoon cumin

1. Combine all ingredients and whirl in the blender until chopped fine -- about 1 minute. Stop and scrape sides of the blender often because mixture will be a bit sticky at first. Store spice in a tightly capped shaker jar and use in place of salt in meat and main-course recipes and on salads.

chefist

So, if anyone wants a multipurpose grill/smoker, it's super easy (my design!). I have 3 different charcoal grills. I use the small "Smokey Joe" Weber for when I'm just cooking for my daughter and I.  Well, you simply remove the legs and set it on top of your charcoal chimney to make a perfect smoker! Fill the chimney with about 1/3 of charcoal, get the coals hot, add a lump or two of your favorite smoking wood (I'm using mesquite today for my beef), put the smokey joe on top and fill it with meat!  Also, I have a small metal pan under the meat that has rosemary, oregano and sage from my garden, then filled with water. This is called wet smoking, and keeps your meat very moist during the smoking process.

These small pieces of London Broil and Beef Spare Ribs will only take 2 hours! A big brisket would take around 6-8.

BEEF RUB:
1. 1 cup coarse ground sea salt
2. 1 cup coarse ground pepper corns
3. 1/2 cup garlic powder
4. 1/4 cup chili powder

weeberwubber

Quote from: chefist on July 02, 2015, 08:47:19 AM
Sounds yummy...it is similar to a super secret dressing recipe I found in Illinois at a boat club for an oil/vinegar based cole slaw dressing (I HATE mayo)...

I would add 1 tsp of my No Salt Seasoning above to this and perhaps some fresh cilantro or Italian parsley to bump it up to new levels of ecstasy!

I grow fresh lettuce in my garden, and we did as well growing up...my Dad's favourite was "Wilted Lettuce"...poor hot bacon fat over lettuce, salt and pepper....now that's how to eat a salad!

Hell yeah, wilted lettuce! My mom would use romain and pour a glass half cider vinegar and half water into the pan with the bacon fat and bring just to a boil before pouring over the lettuce. First time I made it myself I learned to let the bacon fat cool before pouring the liquid in. Now my girlfriend and I use a mesculin mix, add seasonings, and also cook strip steak in a little olive oil, deglaze that pan with the bacon fat/vinegar mixture, cut up the steak and crumble the bacon into the lettuce and just kind of zone out while we eat it.

The bacon dressing sounds like a solid winner going to try that. Ditto with the cheese and beer soup.

chefist

Beef all smoked...it came out great!

K_Dubb

Quote from: weeberwubber on July 03, 2015, 10:06:30 PM

Hell yeah, wilted lettuce!

My auntie (who'd never made it before) decided to make wilted spinach for a big potluck after having it in a restaurant -- got maybe half a little bowl full for 50 people.

Here's my favorite hot-weather salad:  cucumber like I had at a Thai restaurant.  There's also a Scandinavian one my grandma used to make that's similar.

Slice 5 or 6 english cucumbers really thin and quarter a few roma tomatoes.
Mix a dressing from seasoned rice vinegar, salt, sugar and at least half water, enough to cover the cukes, tasting to get the balance right -- not too sour, not too sweet, not too salty.
Put in fridge for a few hours until the cucumbers are soft and wilty
Add a bunch of cilantro and a few shredded basil leaves.
You can put ice cubes in to serve if it's outside and hot -- it's refreshing and best ice cold

Thai green papaya salad is also great hot-weather food; there are plenty of recipes on-line.  You have to find the green papayas at an Asian market and they're kind of a pain to shred and pound and wilt, but very worth it.  A great way to show off your hot chilis in a cold dish if you're in to that; some places' will make your eyes water.  Also served ice cold, it will revive any overheated party.

K_Dubb

Don't know where would be more appropriate to post this q but someone in chat just mentioned spaghetti with banana ketchup and sugar.  Is that a filipino thing?  Is it bad or good?

chefist

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2015, 10:21:22 PM
Don't know where would be more appropriate to post this q but someone in chat just mentioned spaghetti with banana ketchup and sugar.  Is that a filipino thing?  Is it bad or good?
saw Anthony Bourdain eat it on a recent visit to the Philippines... Lol...he didn't really like it...but that's him...

akwilly

Quote from: chefist on July 03, 2015, 05:13:01 PM
So, if anyone wants a multipurpose grill/smoker, it's super easy (my design!). I have 3 different charcoal grills. I use the small "Smokey Joe" Weber for when I'm just cooking for my daughter and I.  Well, you simply remove the legs and set it on top of your charcoal chimney to make a perfect smoker! Fill the chimney with about 1/3 of charcoal, get the coals hot, add a lump or two of your favorite smoking wood (I'm using mesquite today for my beef), put the smokey joe on top and fill it with meat!  Also, I have a small metal pan under the meat that has rosemary, oregano and sage from my garden, then filled with water. This is called wet smoking, and keeps your meat very moist during the smoking process.

These small pieces of London Broil and Beef Spare Ribs will only take 2 hours! A big brisket would take around 6-8.

BEEF RUB:
1. 1 cup coarse ground sea salt
2. 1 cup coarse ground pepper corns
3. 1/2 cup garlic powder
4. 1/4 cup chili powder
very cool. How long do the coals last and do you close the bottom vents on the bbqer or keep them open all the way.

ShayP

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 07, 2015, 10:21:22 PM

I heard of that kind of ketchup before.  It's filipino or thai I believe.  It wrang a bell with me because I saw it being made on a cooking show many years ago.  It was called something different. It rhymed with 'ketchup.'  I dunno.  My memory fails be at times.

.....on spaghetti though?.....ugh.  :P

chefist

Quote from: akwilly on July 07, 2015, 10:46:30 PM
very cool. How long do the coals last and do you close the bottom vents on the bbqer or keep them open all the way.
open all the way...add 5 lumps of fresh charcoal each time you add a lump of wood...roughly every hour...I smoke for 3 n finish covered in the oven...has plenty of smoke flavor by then

akwilly

thanks chefist I might try a brisket this weekend using you're setup

chefist

Quote from: akwilly on July 07, 2015, 10:53:34 PM
thanks chefist I might try a brisket this weekend using you're setup
Good luck...post your progress...my wet mop before it goes into oven is 1/4 cup melted butter, 2 T Worcester 2 T soy sauce....baste all over wrap in foil finsh in oven at 250 deg

K_Dubb

Quote from: chefist on July 07, 2015, 10:45:07 PM
saw Anthony Bourdain eat it on a recent visit to the Philippines... Lol...he didn't really like it...but that's him...

Ah that explains it, maybe that's what Airyn was making.  What little Filipino food I've tried has been tasty, even dinuguan which is various pig organs stewed in thickened blood and vinegar until tender.  I'd try it.  And the baked things are good, lots of ube and pandan flavor.

Also really like your smoker setup.  At the bbq place some days they have what they call burnt-end brisket which is super smoky and kind of tougher .  Never having cooked one, is that something that happens each time, or do you have to do something special to get it?

ksm32

Can somebody just post a REAL FRIED CHICKEN recipe???!!!  The basic buttermilk method the food network chefs almost always suck. And I know what I'm doing.. but there are some fundamentals that are just missing. Seasonings!

Oh, and a devils food chocolate cake.

I have a coconut and some chicken breast.  Any ideas (I've never used a coconut before)?

Roswells, Art

Quote from: wr250 on July 02, 2015, 08:38:45 AM
hot bacon dressing

8 slices bacon
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
DIRECTIONS:
1.   Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
2.   In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt, and slowly pour in water and vinegar, whisking constantly.
3.   In a medium skillet, add the crumbled bacon and pour the vinegar mixture over it. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.

refrigerate for up to 3 days.3 days is how long it lasts till i eat it all. with that much vinegar it should last almost forever .

Is this right? 1.5 cups of sugar seems like a lot.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on July 08, 2015, 02:59:39 PM
I have a coconut and some chicken breast.  Any ideas (I've never used a coconut before)?

I have an idea for that coconut but it's really involved. First  drill a hole in the coconut to drain the liquid and save it. Then hammer the coconut to break it into shards. Then bake the shards for about five minutes to loosen the meat. Then scrape out the meat...are you sure you want to hear the rest?

Roswells, Art

ok, I'll just tell you. Take the meat you carved out of the shell and put it in a blender with ...oh nevermind. lol

chefist

Quote from: Roswells, Art on July 08, 2015, 03:28:29 PM
Is this right? 1.5 cups of sugar seems like a lot.
My Super Secret Ottawa, IL Boat Club Cole Slaw Vinaigrette Dressing

1. 1/2 cup vinegar (use any, but I love the seasoned rice wine vinegar)
2. 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3. 1/4 vegetable oil
4. 1/3 cup sugar
5. 1 tsp salt
6. 1/4 tsp pepper
7. 1 T No Salt Seasoning from Big Lots
8. 2 cloves of garlic
9. 2 green onions
10. 1 T mustard (I like the spicy brown)
11. 1 tsp Sriracha

Blend all in blender until smooth. You can use this for your standard cole slaw mix, or on any salad!

I hate mayo so I use this on my slaw.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: ShayP on July 07, 2015, 10:47:29 PM

I heard of that kind of ketchup before.  It's filipino or thai I believe.  It wrang a bell with me because I saw it being made on a cooking show many years ago.  It was called something different. It rhymed with 'ketchup.'  I dunno.  My memory fails be at times.

.....on spaghetti though?.....ugh.  :P

They eat some weird stuff. I can recall Art talking about hard-boiled eggs made from fertilized duck eggs, so you are crunching through a partially formed duckling. Utterly revolting to me, but I suppose if you are born into that kind of thing you don't notice anything odd about it.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: chefist on July 08, 2015, 03:42:30 PM
My Super Secret Ottawa, IL Boat Club Cole Slaw Vinaigrette Dressing
1. 1/2 cup vinegar (use any, but I love the seasoned rice wine vinegar)
2. 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3. 1/4 vegetable oil
4. 1/3 cup sugar
5. 1 tsp salt
6. 1/4 tsp pepper
7. 1 T No Salt Seasoning from Big Lots
8. 2 cloves of garlic
9. 2 green onions
10. 1 T mustard (I like the spicy brown)
11. 1 tsp Sriracha

Blend all in blender until smooth. You can use this for your standard cole slaw mix, or on any salad!

I hate mayo so I use this on my slaw.

I used to hate mayo...we are on shaky grounds presently. P.S I think that is way too much sugar...the first time I posted about too much sugar I thought it might be a transposing error but I think you mean it.