• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

chefist

I was asked that I start a cooking thread for folks here.  I think it is a good start as we can share ideas for the MITD launch parties that are going on around the country!

Just so long as no one makes a lame joke about rat and turkey flavoured pizza rolls with extra cheesiness  :D.

ShayP

The cynic in me has to ask if there really are MITD launch parties going on around the country?  ???  Hmmmm.....where is my invitation?  ;D
Then again, that is a good idea. I would do one.  8)   Unfortunately everyone I know locally who likes Art Bell works varying schedules and it's difficult to get more than 3 of us in a room at one time, or on any given day.  :-\   

So!....I digress.

Is this thread open for any ideas or recipes in general?

Talk to me chefist.  It's your thread.  Let me meet or exceed your expectations.  :D   I want to participate!  8)

CHEERS!

chefist

I'm open to anything! Recipes, concepts for recipes, snide comments (which there'll be a few!)! It's all good!

chefist

My first will be Burnt Offerings Brisket Ends...I love smoking so having burnt ends that night with beer will be required! Also Midnight Layer Cake in the Dessert! A must!

nbirnes

Quote from: chefist on July 01, 2015, 03:58:07 PM
My first will be Burnt Offerings Brisket Ends...I love smoking so having burnt ends that night with beer will be required! Also Midnight Layer Cake in the Dessert! A must!

Will you be our official chefist at Bella-Haven? I was actually planning on doing recipes from one of my several cookbooks if nobody calls in.

You can teach us the finer points. And prepare the Midnight menu, of course.

chefist

Quote from: nbirnes on July 01, 2015, 04:00:43 PM
Will you be our official chefist at Bella-Haven? I was actually planning on doing recipes from one of my several cookbooks if nobody calls in.

You can teach us the finer points. And prepare the Midnight menu, of course.

absolutely, Nancy...sounds like a hoot!

pyewacket

I'm so glad you created this thread, Chefist! I'm always looking for new recipes.

Here's an easy, yummy cookie recipe to serve with tea or coffee early in the celebration before breaking out the hard liquor as the day/evening/night goes on.   

Cream Cheese Cookies (Tastes like Sweet Victory)

1/4 Cup soft butter
1 8oz brick of cream cheese
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla
1    box yellow cake mix (dry)

Mix together butter and cream cheese
Add egg and vanilla
Then cake mix
Refrigerate 1/2 hour
Bake at 375 deg F on an ungreased cookie sheet (or use parchment paper) for 8-10 mins. Should be light brown and set. Cool on wire rake. Enjoy!

chefist

I'll get some things in tonight... Secrets!

eddie dean

Quote from: ShayP on July 01, 2015, 03:07:16 PM
The cynic in me has to ask if there really are MITD launch parties going on around the country?  ???  Hmmmm.....where is my invitation?  ;D
Then again, that is a good idea. I would do one.  8)   Unfortunately everyone I know locally who likes Art Bell works varying schedules and it's difficult to get more than 3 of us in a room at one time, or on any given day.  :-\   

So!....I digress.

Is this thread open for any ideas or recipes in general?

Talk to me chefist.  It's your thread.  Let me meet or exceed your expectations.  :D   I want to participate!  8)

CHEERS!

Considering your current avatar. Please wash your hands before you do any cooking good sir.  ;)

chefist

Ok, let's start with the basics...spices...my favourite store for spices is, wait for it....BIG LOTS...yes, they have my secret spice, "No Salt Seasoning"...it's kind of a Mrs. Dash knock off, but much much better...and it's only a $1.00.

wr250

why leave your dog out? the ultimate dog biscuit:

Stinkin’ Dog Treats
recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2014
1 small sweet potato, approximately 8 ounces
10 ounces old fashioned rolled oats, approximately 3 cups
3 ounces oil packed sardines, drained
1 large egg
1 ounce unsalted peanut butter
2 teaspoons fish sauce, optional

Procedure:
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Pierce the sweet potato several times with a paring knife, then microwave on HIGH for 6 to 8 minutes, or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, grind the oats in a food processor for 3 minutes or until the consistency of whole wheat flour. Remove the oats from the food processor and set aside.
4. Combine the sweet potato pulp, sardines, egg, and peanut butter in food processor. Pulse 10 to 12 times until the mixture forms a thick paste, there will be some lumps.
5. Add 2 cups of the ground oats and pulse an additional 10 to 12 times, until the mixture starts to come together. Similarly to pie dough, it will look dry but should hold together when pressed.
6. Sprinkle your work surface with some of the remaining oats and roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into treats using a pizza wheel or cookie cutters. (Size of cookie cutters used: 2 inch)
7. Bake on a parchment paper-lined half sheet pan for 30 to 40 minutes or until treats appear dry and lightly browned on the bottom. Turn off the oven, brush with the fish sauce, if desired, and let the treats dry in the oven for 1 hour.
8. Store in an airtight container for 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Yield: 40 two-inch treats

i leave out the peanut butter and substitute coconut oil. also leave out the fish sauce. my dogs go apeshit over these things.
you can substitute any fish you have on hand (ive used canned salmon and tuna), although my dogs like the sardines the best. 
i usually double the batch, and freeze them all, save 10 or so out at any one time to use for treats.

chefist

Quote from: wr250 on July 02, 2015, 08:15:37 AM

I love it!

wr250

Quote from: chefist on July 02, 2015, 08:19:39 AM
I love it!
we trained one dog to do various things.  i break out a dog cookie and she lays down (lay down) , extends a paw (shake)  and barks (speak) without asking.

chefist

SUPER DELISH N EASY DIP!

1. 1 small can of Mushrooms in Escabeche or Jalapeno n Escabeche (if you like HOT use the serano escabeche)
2. 1 12oz container of sour cream
3. 2 tsp. of no salt seasoning, 1 tsp chilli powder, salt/pepper to taste

Drain escabeche well and purée in food processor or blender. Mix with sour cream and seasoning. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Serve with Town House crackers.

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on July 02, 2015, 08:05:53 AM
Ok, let's start with the basics...spices...my favourite store for spices is, wait for it....BIG LOTS...yes, they have my secret spice, "No Salt Seasoning"...it's kind of a Mrs. Dash knock off, but much much better...and it's only a $1.00.
Mexican Oregano. Different taste than the Italian/Med type (I guess actually a different plant) but good, especially as one would suspect in Tex-Mex, Mexican, and South American food. Or even on breakfast tacos or eggs.

nooropathy

Stinkin’ Dog Treats
1 large egg

Procedure:
2. Pierce the sweet potato several times with a paring knife, then microwave on HIGH for 6 to 8 minutes, or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, grind the oats in a food processor for 3 minutes or until the consistency of whole wheat flour. Remove the oats from the food processor and set aside.
4. Combine the sweet potato pulp, sardines, egg, and peanut butter in food processor. Pulse 10 to 12 times until the mixture forms a thick paste, there will be some lumps.
5. Add 2 cups of the ground oats and pulse an additional 10 to 12 times, until the mixture starts to come together. Similarly to pie dough, it will look dry but should hold together when pressed.
6. Sprinkle your work surface with some of the remaining oats and roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into treats using a pizza wheel or cookie cutters. (Size of cookie cutters used: 2 inch)
7. Bake on a parchment paper-lined half sheet pan for 30 to 40 minutes or until treats appear dry and lightly browned on the bottom. Turn off the oven, brush with the fish sauce, if desired, and let the treats dry in the oven for 1 hour.

i leave out the peanut butter and substitute coconut oil. also leave out the fish sauce. my dogs go apeshit over these things.
you can substitute any fish you have on hand (ive used canned salmon and tuna), although my dogs like the sardines the best. 
i usually double the batch, and freeze them all, save 10 or so out at any one time to use for treats.

Yes, this looks like something I might like as well  ;)

just be very aware the certain PB brands have xylitol as a sweetener...  do not use any of them for dogs

http://www.preventivevet.com/dogs/is-peanut-butter-safe-for-dogs, yep my neighbor says his dog loves PB out of the jar directly on celery !!!! 

wr250

hot bacon dressing

8 slices bacon
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
DIRECTIONS:
1.   Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
2.   In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt, and slowly pour in water and vinegar, whisking constantly.
3.   In a medium skillet, add the crumbled bacon and pour the vinegar mixture over it. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.

refrigerate for up to 3 days.3 days is how long it lasts till i eat it all. with that much vinegar it should last almost forever .

chefist

Quote from: wr250 on July 02, 2015, 08:38:45 AM
hot bacon dressing

8 slices bacon
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
DIRECTIONS:
1.   Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
2.   In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt, and slowly pour in water and vinegar, whisking constantly.
3.   In a medium skillet, add the crumbled bacon and pour the vinegar mixture over it. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.

refrigerate for up to 3 days.3 days is how long it lasts till i eat it all. with that much vinegar it should last almost forever .
Sounds yummy...it is similar to a super secret dressing recipe I found in Illinois at a boat club for an oil/vinegar based cole slaw dressing (I HATE mayo)...

I would add 1 tsp of my No Salt Seasoning above to this and perhaps some fresh cilantro or Italian parsley to bump it up to new levels of ecstasy!

I grow fresh lettuce in my garden, and we did as well growing up...my Dad's favourite was "Wilted Lettuce"...poor hot bacon fat over lettuce, salt and pepper....now that's how to eat a salad!

wr250

easy dinner rolls

1-1.5 pints of 100 degree water
1 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp shortening (may substitute butter)
3-5 c flour
1 tbsp yeast
optional
more sugar (sweeter rolls)
honey 1/4 c or to taste
add yeast, water,shortening and sugar (and honey if desired) to mixer bowl 
2 tbsp dried sage for a different flavor. (add in right before the flour goes in)

let yeast bloom for 15 minutes
slowly add flour until a soft slightly sticky dough forms.
cover with lubed saran wrap (i leave it in the mixing bowl), let rise until doubled in size
punch down and form into 2" (remember these will be ~2x as big finished) balls. use nonstick spray on your hands/gloves to help prevent sticking
place doughballs in a well greased pan (i use a 13x9 glass baking pan then additional smaller pans as needed)
cover with a damp (paper) towel or lubed saran wrap
brush with melted butter if desired
let double in size  then bake at until its light brown on top (dark brown if you buttered it prior to baking) usually around 30-40 minutes. center internal temp should be 190-200 degrees F.

chefist

That recipe reminds me of a famous restaurant in Missouri...There is one very close to MV actually....

paladin1991

Stinkin’ Dog Treats
1 large egg

Procedure:

Hell, brother, I know you have tasted these.  What do you think?  This sounds like Hi-Pro survival biscuits  Alright if I share this on a couple of forums?

K_Dubb

Excellent, High Desert cuisine.  Southwestern with maybe a bit of Filipino?  Chocolate-meat tacos?  Daing bangus with fresh salsa would actually be good.  Your dip fits nicely, will try it.  To drink, prickly-pear margaritas?

chefist

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 02, 2015, 12:35:05 PM
Excellent, High Desert cuisine.  Southwestern with maybe a bit of Filipino?  Chocolate-meat tacos?  Daing bangus with fresh salsa would actually be good.  Your dip fits nicely, will try it.  To drink, prickly-pear margaritas?
that drink sounds great! good choice! I make a prickly pear fruit and quince pie! It is amazing!

K_Dubb

Quote from: chefist on July 02, 2015, 12:44:02 PM
that drink sounds great! good choice! I make a prickly pear fruit and quince pie! It is amazing!

That sounds tricky and delicious!  I'd love to try it if the recipe isn't a secret; my folks have a quince tree -- well it was a grafted pear but the rootstock reasserted itself so now it's a pear/quince tree hahaha.  We make membrillo every year.

chefist

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 02, 2015, 12:56:04 PM
That sounds tricky and delicious!  I'd love to try it if the recipe isn't a secret; my folks have a quince tree -- well it was a grafted pear but the rootstock reasserted itself so now it's a pear/quince tree hahaha.  We make membrillo every year.
Just peel off the outer skin, and that removes all the glockets of tiny needles...You can make this as a pic, or as a cobbler with crumb topping...the cobbler is my favorite.

1. 4 cups peeled and cubed PP fruit.
2. 6 cups cubed quince
3. 1 cup brown sugar
4. 2 tsp cinnamon
5. 1/2 tsp salt
6. 2 T corn starch
7. 2 tsp vanilla
8. 1/4 cup butter, melted
9. 1/2 cup chopped pecans or almonds
10. 1/4 tsp nutmeg

Mix all together well in a bowl and poor into a pie shell, or a backing dish for cobbler.

Crumb Topping
1. 1 cup brown sugar
2. 3/4 cup flour
3. 3/4 cup quick oats
4. 2 tsp cinnamon
5. 1 stick of soft butter

Mix with fingers is best. Spread on top of cobbler. Bake at 375 for 1 hour or until brown on top and fruit is tender.

If pie, bake at 425 for 15 min, then lower to 375 for 45, or until bottom of crust is brown (use a glass pie dish so you can see!)
5. 1/4 tst nutmeg

pyewacket

How about a popular version of stuffed bread?

you will need:

pizza dough- either homemade or store bought
about 12 or more slices of deli ham
8 to 10 slices of swiss cheese - depending on the size
about 8 oz of mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 - 10oz boxes of frozen chopped broccoli - thawed and well drained
water to be set aside to seal seams
melted butter to brush the loaf with

On a lightly floured surface, roll out your pizza dough into a large rectangle
cover the dough with a layer of ham leaving seam area clear
next, cover the ham with a layer of swiss cheese
follow with the mozzarella
and lastly, the broccoli

Starting at the long end, roll the filled dough
brush the edge seam with water and press it to the loaf
repeat with end seams
place sealed loaf, seam side down, on a parchment paper lined baking sheet

Bake in a 350 deg oven for 20 minutes
remove the loaf, brush with melted butter
and return to the oven for an additional 20 minutes

Serve hot and enjoy

K_Dubb

Many thanks Chefist, this is going on the list.

chefist

Quote from: K_Dubb on July 02, 2015, 01:17:38 PM
Many thanks Chefist, this is going on the list.
Awesome...the PP Fruit gives it a very unique flavor...strawberry, kiwi, lime type of mix...