• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "Gig" Economy

Started by Jojo, June 06, 2019, 04:17:31 PM

Jojo

It's really been happening.

Jojo

Would you apply for a job where you had to be available 5 days a week, yet the position only offers 16-20 hours/week?  Seems exploitative to request someone to always be available, for such a small paycheck.

starramus

Even the "top job" on the White House is now just a "gig"! Does that mean we can let him go without any notice???

starramus

fat finger typo should be  "in the White House"

artbell_ghost

Quote from: Sixteen on July 03, 2019, 01:24:03 AM
Would you apply for a job where you had to be available 5 days a week, yet the position only offers 16-20 hours/week?  Seems exploitative to request someone to always be available, for such a small paycheck.

i have a pilot friend he has to be available to fly anywhere with 2 hour notice but obly gets paid when a flight is requested. they call him 2 or 3 times a month most times but they pay him 3k per flight.

Jojo

Quote from: artbell_ghost on July 03, 2019, 09:06:15 AM
i have a pilot friend he has to be available to fly anywhere with 2 hour notice but obly gets paid when a flight is requested. they call him 2 or 3 times a month most times but they pay him 3k per flight.
Considering the wages, that's a lot more reasonable.  I bet he hates it when he forgets to turn his ringer on!

Jojo

Quote from: starramus on July 03, 2019, 05:56:54 AM
Even the "top job" on the White House is now just a "gig"! Does that mean we can let him go without any notice???
Is Washington, D.C. an "at-will" employment district?