• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

IMDB is shutting down its message boards!

Started by 21st Century Man, February 04, 2017, 01:18:36 AM

Ciardelo

Quote from: zeebo on February 04, 2017, 05:20:53 PM
Ha yeah, they stick out like sore thumbs.  The dead giveaway are the one-word sentences like "Amazing. Inspired. Brilliant!"

Btw I just went to the boards and got an answer for something I didn't understand in Rogue One, and it was there!  Damn, great resource for little details that we're gonna lose.

What an Inspired post! Amazing! Brilliant!

I used the boards as you just described. A little question here and there, things like that.

There's probably some sort of replacement in the works "out there." But it will be pretty hard to duplicate decades of forum discussions. I already went to the IMDB wannabe site TMDB to see if they had boards. The mods there have already decided not to attempt it because they are scared of the vast amount of work it would take to keep it clean. TMDB is a pretty shitty site anyway, so no great loss there.

trostol

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 04, 2017, 03:25:13 PM
I'm surprised that some don't understand that the message boards are very different from "reviews." The message boards were good for discussing confusing plot points for instance. Perhaps not a huge part of the movie, but a little quirk in the storyline that might not have made it into a given reviewer's consciousness.

It's a little nuanced, I'll admit but for example I had to go to the message board for the movie "No Country for Old Men" where the bad guy seemingly disappears from a scene in a locked hotel room.

Oh well...just another instance where trolls and "chan attitudes" destroyed something nice.  >:(

while that is a valid point...you would get asshats there too...and the problem with older movies is..there tended to be so few discussions about them any more ..and they seem to trim the pages down after a while..then ya had thepeople there who thought it was their own private spot to wax poetic or..philosophic

Jackstar

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060390/board/?ref_=tt_bd_sm

What shitty boards. See if you can guess what I'm linking you to from the URL alone.

Go on. Guess.

the_Stranger

I never used the IMDB forums. Hell, I rarely use the site at all anymore.
If I have a question about a film I usually use the following:

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/
http://thelatarniaforums.yuku.com/directory#.WJf8D1MrLIU
http://forum.blu-ray.com/

paladin1991

Quote from: Ciardelo on February 04, 2017, 04:00:36 AM
This does suck. I read the message boards much more than the reviews...I know it's pissing into the wind but I signed the petition.

Ditto.  And signed

paladin1991

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 04, 2017, 02:14:41 PM
Well a good way to clear out trolls would be to offer the boards as part of a subscription service for a small fee.

same problem as here.  Nobody wants to pay

comaphobe

Blabbermouth did this about 4-5 years ago, and a F ceb ok login replaced their old forum database. I only ever go to Blabbermouth for the comments. The platform migration had zero effect on what was still being posted, but the old database and history was eventually wiped out.

You will probably still be able to have a discussion about pages at IMDB but will be threaded in the white and blue dropdown format, and the user will need to be logged in via Big Brotherberg.msn, which has become the industry standard... probably to hold people accountable for what they type online.

"This is what you want..... This is what you get....."

The people wanted this kind of internet. The average person is a piece of shit narcissist scumbag. It's pretty fitting.

At any rate. I hate Big Brother, social networking, idiots, monkeys, sheep, jerkoffs, trendies, phone addicts, tablets, and piece-of-shit ghouls like the one in my avatar who I see all day long all week/month/year. All the above make me sick. This makes me an intellectual monster.

Soon you will have to login to that god damn site to take a piss.

I can't get that fucking logo off my phone.

It sure did ruin the internet.

And real life too.

Ciardelo

Quote from: comaphobe on February 08, 2017, 02:20:23 AM
Blabbermouth did this about 4-5 years ago, and a F ceb ok login replaced their old forum database. I only ever go to Blabbermouth for the comments. The platform migration had zero effect on what was still being posted, but the old database and history was eventually wiped out.

You will probably still be able to have a discussion about pages at IMDB but will be threaded in the white and blue dropdown format, and the user will need to be logged in via Big Brotherberg.msn, which has become the industry standard... probably to hold people accountable for what they type online.

"This is what you want..... This is what you get....."

The people wanted this kind of internet. The average person is a piece of shit narcissist scumbag. It's pretty fitting.

At any rate. I hate Big Brother, social networking, idiots, monkeys, sheep, jerkoffs, trendies, phone addicts, tablets, and piece-of-shit ghouls like the one in my avatar who I see all day long all week/month/year. All the above make me sick. This makes me an intellectual monster.

Soon you will have to login to that god damn site to take a piss.

I can't get that fucking logo off my phone.

It sure did ruin the internet.

And real life too.

Don't worry your head, my man...someday soon, when the hot fire is dripping down from the sky, sweet, sweet, Death will come for you, then you can rest.