• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Communion, the Strieber film.

Started by Pirate King Atomsk, September 22, 2008, 10:23:11 AM

Has anyone seen the 1989 movie "Communion" with Christopher Walken playing Whitley Strieber? I finally found a copy the other day and it was pretty damn good.

EvB

Well - it's entertaining the first time, I agree - but it doesn't hold up.  You should know that even the Streibers find the film an embarrassment, with the exception of Walken's performance.  But even he couldn't overcome the awful script.

Quote from: EvB on September 22, 2008, 10:58:31 AM
Well - it's entertaining the first time, I agree - but it doesn't hold up.  You should know that even the Streibers find the film an embarrassment, with the exception of Walken's performance.  But even he couldn't overcome the awful script.

Walken's performance saved the film for sure. And yeah, I probably wouldn't watch it again. The first half was really slow, but when he finally started seeing the psychiatrist it got pretty interesting for me. 

MV/Liberace!

i remember seeing it as a kid, but can't recall much about it.  maybe i'll have to take another peek.

Gojira2006

:o Scary film - but The Intruders is even scarier . . . !  :o

Got the book at a book fair as a kid and never read it as the cover scared the bejesus out of me and still does to an extant.

EvB

The book is much better than the movie.  However, it is written by a man who was a horror/fantasy writer.  That style shows, and does not help the credibility of his story.  That may not be fair, but it should have been expected.  My main problem with Mr. Strieber is that he never seemed to quite understand that. 

As for me, that fiction-writer-cum-ad-man flavor to his writer does make it hard for me to take him seriously.  I'd feel better, more trusting, if he'd laughed it off and said "well, I understand why people think that" and went on from there. 

John Mack was a wonderful example of not letting the system and nay-saying get him down.  His death was a true loss.

Nboy

Quote from: The Coincidence Kid on February 24, 2009, 01:34:20 AM
Got the book at a book fair as a kid and never read it as the cover scared the bejesus out of me and still does to an extant.

Same here, the book cover scared the absolute hell out of me as a kid.
I never watched  or read Communion. But, as a child I did happen to watch the Unsolved Mysteries episode featuring Roswell and Alien Abductions. I don't know whether it was Robert Stacks creepy ass narration or the large, black, unblinking, soulless eyes of the aliens but it gave me nightmares for months and I spent a large part of my childhood bedtimes praying to the almighty that I wouldn't get abducted. Then as I blossomed into puberty and my subconscious largely forgot my abduction/alien fears. Then I went to the theater to see Fire in The Sky with a bunch of friends and it brought it all back. I still have nightmares and I blame Robert Stack. GODDAMN YOU ROBERT STACK!

wasitanangel

that movie sounds cool.  can you still get it somewhere?

Queen

if you go to youtube you can watch it on there i just watched it a couple days ago.

nika01

Quote from: The Coincidence Kid on February 24, 2009, 01:34:20 AM

I remember reading Communion in the late 80's , I was in my early 30's. It scared the shit out of me. Went to the local machine shop and had a stainless steel butt plug made, just in case.

nika01

Quote from: EvB on April 15, 2009, 07:07:57 PM
OUCH! 

Haven't used it, it just an insurance policy. Maybe I could arrange to sell it on the C2C merchandise page. "Aliennprotecionwear" , what do you think ?

EvB

Quote from: nika01 on April 16, 2009, 08:12:41 PM
Haven't used it, it just an insurance policy. Maybe I could arrange to sell it on the C2C merchandise page. "Aliennprotecionwear" , what do you think ?

I wanna see you list it as being in "Like New Condition"

Quote from: nika01 on April 16, 2009, 08:12:41 PM

Quote from: EvB on April 16, 2009, 09:59:30 PM

Marbled silver & brown IS the original finish/color, right?

nika01

Quote from: EvB on April 16, 2009, 09:59:30 PM

I can see that I am in over my head

EvB

You didn't have to have a custom one made after all!

nika01

Quote from: EvB on April 19, 2009, 03:27:14 PM
You didn't have to have a custom one made after all!

Ok, I will bite, what is it really?

EvB

It is really, truly, a stainless steel butt plug.  No lie!

Just look here

The site has a few varieties (want a horse tail?) all of whch come with this classic disclaimer:  Please shop carefully. We do not accept satisfaction returns on this item. Please see our ordering information page for our complete returns policy.

And NO Centurion!  I am NOT a customer - I just Googled.  :P

nika01

Quote from: EvB on April 19, 2009, 05:11:10 PM
It is really, truly, a stainless steel butt plug.  No lie!

Just look here

The site has a few varieties (want a horse tail?) all of whch come with this classic disclaimer:  Please shop carefully. We do not accept satisfaction returns on this item. Please see our ordering information page for our complete returns policy.

And NO Centurion!  I am NOT a customer - I just Googled.  :P

Wow. Never knew these things existed. Guess I have lead a sheltered life.

The one with the horse tail is interesting.   :o

...What the fuck have you guys done to my thread.

Secondly, that's actually a butt plug? That thing is HUGE. Fuck that. And by "fuck that", I don't mean...ah forget it.

EvB

Welcome to the ultimate thread derail - it's happened to me more times than I can count! 

BTW - those things apparently come in sizes.

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on April 19, 2009, 07:08:22 PM
Welcome to the ultimate thread derail - it's happened to me more times than I can count! 

Ev, why this statement from you
And NO Centurion!  I am NOT a customer - I just Googled.

Then you say this
Quoteit's happened to me more times than I can count!

Then you try and play us with
Quotethose things apparently come in sizes.[/color]

The lady doth protest too much  ;D

Quote from: EvB on April 19, 2009, 07:08:22 PM

BTW - those things apparently come in sizes.

Good...god almighty. They look like tiny hotel lamps.

danDNA

at least they got 'ring pulls' on them. no more embarrassing stories of 'oh i was hoovering and i fell on this thing' at the hospital.

also

the lion looks a little put out by it all.

When the lion said "Sit on my face", this wasn't what he was expecting......

Nboy

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on April 20, 2009, 11:55:13 PM
When the lion said "Sit on my face", this wasn't what he was expecting......

Then what the hell was he expecting? These are things I need to know.

auggie

Strieber is such a wack job I find it difficult to get excited about anything connected with him.

danDNA

but when he covers for the Snooron i find it hard to turn off. its like listening to a fun, young sounding, but older uncle and his wife who is in the background stitching, but who occasionally stops to chip in with comments and to make you all a nice hot chocolate.

so yeah he is full of shit, but fun with it.

henge0stone

I don't get why whitley didn't just write it as a fiction. Just change his name and say its based on events of other encounters he researched. It certainly would have made things easier for him. I mean lets say something really did happen to Whitley he could still say the fiction was based on some experience he had and not come off looking completely crazy. I think he thought it would sell more if he said it was real and happened to him.