• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What will you drink while listening to Midnight in the Desert?

Started by castromiller, June 11, 2015, 09:22:17 PM

Laphroaig or Ardbeg. Knew the lot of ya were dirty lushes...

zeebo

A nice cognac, Courvoisier VSOP.  Or, in bateman style, some nice sippin' bourbon whiskey which for some reason I now prefer over scotch.

slippingaway

I've got some Caduceus Vinyards wine I've been holding back for a special occasion. It's a rare vintage, bottled by the rock star Maynard J. Keenan from Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Puscifer.  Fitting, that part of what made me fall in love with the band Tool, was the hidden track on their album Lateralus, where amongst some creepy noises they play the infamous C2C Area 51 caller where the sattelite lost "Earth Lock".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqO3BByBflg

By the way, the wine is amazing too!!

chinaclipper

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on June 12, 2015, 01:15:09 PM
Laphroaig or Ardbeg. Knew the lot of ya were dirty lushes...

isn't Laphroaig the one that tastes like peat?  from Islay

SciFiAuthor

Old school 2-1 gin and dry vermouth dirty martini with three olives. Alternatively, depending on my particular mood that day, I might go with a nice Bavarian Hefeweizen.

castromiller

Quote from: PathoJen on June 12, 2015, 04:06:41 PM
Boxed wine.
There used to be this company called three thieves that made little boxes of wine....it was like juice boxes for drunkards.

zeebo

Quote from: castromiller on June 12, 2015, 10:07:26 PM
  There used to be this company called three thieves that made little boxes of wine....it was like juice boxes for drunkards.

Wish they'd use those little juice pouches instead.  No sharp corners to bruise my drunken self on.

WOTR

Quote from: chinaclipper on June 12, 2015, 04:02:42 PM
Yes, Islay scotch is peated (and most scotchs' have some degree of peat...)  Laphroaig is well know to be heavily peated, as is Ardbeg.  You aslo have Kilchomen that only produces heavily peated expressions.  Bruichladdich produces the "Octomore" which they claim to be made with the most heavily peated barley on the planet. Caol Ila and even Talisker are quite peated. (I believe this is used mostly in blends such as JW to impart some peat without it being overpowering...)

Then you get into blends such as "the peat monster" and other such fun drinks...  I wish I was more familiar with Japanese whiskey- but I believe that they even use peat in some of their brands (though I may be mistaken...)

zeebo

Quote from: wotr1 on June 12, 2015, 11:45:27 PM
Yes, Islay scotch is peated (and most scotchs' have some degree of peat...)  Laphroaig is well know to be heavily peated, as is Ardbeg....

Any idea if they're more/less peaty than Lagavulin?  Not a beginner's scotch that one. 

WOTR

Quote from: zeebo on June 12, 2015, 11:59:21 PM
Any idea if they're more/less peaty than Lagavulin?  Not a beginner's scotch that one.
I'm going to have to say more... Also, the younger the scotch, the more pronounced the "smoke" (it starts to loose some of the edge as it ages.)  I love my quarter cask (no age statement, but smokey as all hell and, I presume very young...) If peat is not your thing, I would probably steer clear of any of those brands.  The peat takes a bit to get used to, and some people never really like it. 

If you are open to suggestions, I would say try something like Aberlour that is quite easy to find and reasonably priced.  Look at this review (and if you are looking for almost any brand, I really would recommend any of his videos- the only reviewer who I actually trust, and he does some videos on glass shapes, American whiskey, how to drink spirits and even a couple on alcoholism...)  This is the 12 year review.

You can also search for Laphroaig or others like Ardbeg and "peaty, smoke, Iodine, salt" are usually the descriptors he gives.  You would know to avoid those with your tastes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpMQaWBNTAQ

Edit... Here is one on Lagavulin.  It will also show why I like him- he does not take bottles from distillers and as such is willing to say that they are not doing well- he really does not hold back his opinions.  This may also help on how to taste it...  Also, do check his replies to comments below.  Not somebody who has been bought off...

I also just rewatched this.  I forgot- he adds a drop of Absinthe to it.  Everything ties in together, and there are no coincidences as this thread was started with the mention of Absinthe.  He is one of the only single malt reviewers who would perform such and act...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqMwG16nFNs

zeebo

Quote from: wotr1 on June 13, 2015, 12:56:34 AM
...Look at this review (and if you are looking for almost any brand, I really would recommend any of his videos- the only reviewer who I actually trust...

Good stuff wotr, thanks. 

cweb

Quote from: wotr1 on June 13, 2015, 12:56:34 AM
I'm going to have to say more... Also, the younger the scotch, the more pronounced the "smoke" (it starts to loose some of the edge as it ages.)  I love my quarter cask (no age statement, but smokey as all hell and, I presume very young...) If peat is not your thing, I would probably steer clear of any of those brands.  The peat takes a bit to get used to, and some people never really like it. 
I also just rewatched this.  I forgot- he adds a drop of Absinthe to it.  Everything ties in together, and there are no coincidences as this thread was started with the mention of Absinthe.  He is one of the only single malt reviewers who would perform such and act...
Thanks for sharing these reviews!

I will likely start off the night with some RC Cola (to get a good buzz on) and then progress to Caol Ila (12yr).

EvB

I'm going to plan on white wine and blue cheese on slices of ripe pair. 

Quote from: chinaclipper on June 12, 2015, 04:02:42 PM
Yeah, I need 'em peaty. Islay. Ardbeg is even "peatier". Great stuff.

WOTR

Quote from: cweb on June 14, 2015, 08:43:12 PM
Thanks for sharing these reviews!

I will likely start off the night with some RC Cola (to get a good buzz on) and then progress to Caol Ila (12yr).
Hmmm... I have yet to taste any of the Caol Ila.  It has a good reputation, and I think I would enjoy it.  Somehow, there has never been a bottle that has followed me home.

Wintermute

When Art comes back, I'll be listening in my home office with the coffee going.

The sad truth, if I am drinking at midnight and there aren't pretty girls involved, I'm apt to snooze. Best to stick with coffee.

zeebo

Quote from: Wintermute on June 16, 2015, 10:45:44 AM
The sad truth, if I am drinking at midnight and there aren't pretty girls involved, I'm apt to snooze. Best to stick with coffee.

lol .. you've got a point, maybe I'll switch to Irish Coffees.   :D

Disbelievers, naysayers, haters, critics, pundits of profundity, Noorites, radio podcast wiseguys, disloyal mean babies, etc, who said Art would never come back, will automatically be drinking Crow when Art returns to the spectrum - whether they listen to the show or not.

Gemstone

Quote from: EvB on June 15, 2015, 03:05:40 PM
I'm going to plan on white wine and blue cheese on slices of ripe pair.
If you are interested I have a baked pear with gorgonzola cheese recipe that is sublime.

scottydawg

Mexican Coca-Cola in the glass bottle with REAL SUGAR, not that corn syrup crap! ::)
"Corn Syrup! Wee Don't neeed No Stinkin' Corn Syrup!" >:(
Chilled for 20 minutes in the freezer so the glass is nice and frosty! ;D

zeebo

Quote from: scottydawg on June 16, 2015, 04:16:55 PM
Mexican Coca-Cola in the glass bottle with REAL SUGAR, not that corn syrup crap! ::)
"Corn Syrup! Wee Don't neeed No Stinkin' Corn Syrup!" >:(
Chilled for 20 minutes in the freezer so the glass is nice and frosty! ;D

You got style.  I dream of one day having an old Coke mini-fridge packed with those chilled sugary delights.

Quote from: zeebo on June 16, 2015, 06:25:22 PM
You got style.  I dream of one day having an old Coke mini-fridge packed with those chilled sugary delights.

Make it happen, Zeebo. If not now, when? If not you, who?

I'd like to give the squirrel a Coke . . .

kennedymaure

Quote from: jazmunda on June 11, 2015, 09:31:59 PM
I'll be at work so I'll be drinking whiskey out of a flask.

I will probably have to drink something out of a flask because my spouse will roll his eyes over in the back of his head when he sees my headset go on that night because he'll know I will be doing it frequently.   

Grandma

I'll be drinking my usual -- water. Listening to C2C on a weeknight would be the time to get sloshed. I want all my senses unimpaired when listening to Art Bell.