• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What will you drink while listening to Midnight in the Desert?

Started by castromiller, June 11, 2015, 09:22:17 PM

castromiller

As a card carrying member of the grownup community, I am proud that I can basically do whatever I want.  Sure, I can't kill a panda bear or use fish as currency, but I can drink...oh yes, I can drink.  There was once a time when I would listen to Art and drink rum and coke...then George came along and I drank turpentine and rubbing alcohol, just to make sense of his meandering drivel.  Now with Midnight in the Desert, I plan on enjoying a nightcap of Absinthe.  Yes, I will be wearing my panda fur smoking jacket and sitting in my recliner drinking absinthe and enjoying broadcasts from the Kingdom of Nye.  What shall your drink of choice be?

bateman

Rotating selection of bourbon. Four Roses Small Batch, Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare, Michter's and who knows what else. In moderation, of course.

castromiller

Quote from: bateman on June 11, 2015, 09:25:15 PM
Rotating selection of bourbon. Four Roses Small Batch, Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare, Michter's and who knows what else. In moderation, of course.
Yes, moderation is the key.  I wouldn't want to drink until I black out and miss the rest of the show....that kind of drinking is reserved for Coast to Coast AM. 

jazmunda

I'll be at work so I'll be drinking whiskey out of a flask.

albrecht

Quote from: castromiller on June 11, 2015, 09:36:17 PM
I drink whiskey out of a flask when I'm at work anyway....It makes surgery all the more fun.
Post 911 I was going through a "check point" to get to a WWII Remembrance and an old guy in front of me got the "beep" from the metal detector on the street to get in, and his, what I presume, daughter asked him "dad you have anything in your pockets" and he fumbled and pulled out a flask. The officer said "there you go" and let him through with a smile and wink. Because people aren't friggin idiots everywhere, and let a guy a drink, especially one with some memories, bad or good, at a public event to remember.

I was on a looong lay-over and then cancelled flights at SEATAC once and, somehow, had a bottle of duty-free I had gotten earlier on me. Had to spend overnight and try rebooking/routing int he morning and everything was shutdown. Decided, might as well carry-on, and went to a dark concourse and poured me a cup and settled down for a long night and security (early on TSA and not long after 911) came up as I was filling it up from my bag- trying to be a bit stealth, I guess. Shined light at me. I said "no bars open" and "stuck here after a 8 hour flight for the night", he laughed and walked away.

I plan to take it easy on MITD. It is not like a long plane trip, a boring movie, or a Norry C2C where over-indulgence, and in Norry's case blackout stage, is the norm, dare I say necessity. Some good beers and sipping on a couple of BIB bourbons listening to the magic.

akwilly

since I doubt I will get my hands on any pappy van winkle i will probably just end up drinking beer with a small glass of jack

castromiller

Quote from: albrecht on June 11, 2015, 09:52:00 PM
Post 911 I was going through a "check point" to get to a WWII Remembrance and an old guy in front of me got the "beep" from the metal detector on the street to get in, and his, what I presume, daughter asked him "dad you have anything in your pockets" and he fumbled and pulled out a flask. The officer said "there you go" and let him through with a smile and wink. Because people aren't friggin idiots everywhere, and let a guy a drink, especially one with some memories, bad or good, at a public event to remember.

I was on a looong lay-over and then cancelled flights at SEATAC once and, somehow, had a bottle of duty-free I had gotten earlier on me. Had to spend overnight and try rebooking/routing int he morning and everything was shutdown. Decided, might as well carry-on, and went to a dark concourse and poured me a cup and settled down for a long night and security (early on TSA and not long after 911) came up as I was filling it up from my bag- trying to be a bit stealth, I guess. Shined light at me. I said "no bars open" and "stuck here after a 8 hour flight for the night", he laughed and walked away.

I plan to take it easy on MITD. It is not like a long plane trip, a boring movie, or a Norry C2C where over-indulgence, and in Norry's case blackout stage, is the norm, dare I say necessity. Some good beers and sipping on a couple of BIB bourbons listening to the magic.
Yeah, that old guy with his flask isn't going to bother anyone, so let him drink.  Especially a guy attending a WWII remembrance event.  It's good to hear there are some competent and thoughtful TSA agents....or maybe there were back then.  Seems like they are a little more over zealous and incompetent now.  I too plan to drink casually while listening to MITD.  That's why I choose Absinthe.  You can have one glass and it has a nice, long lasting effect without the blackout.   

bateman

Quote from: akwilly on June 11, 2015, 10:05:29 PM
since I doubt I will get my hands on any pappy van winkle i will probably just end up drinking beer with a small glass of jack

Have you had it before? It's good but I didn't find it to be worth the hype (or the price). Can't remember if it was the 20 or 23 that I had.

The General

Quote from: castromiller on June 11, 2015, 09:22:17 PM
As a card carrying member of the grownup community,

You don't mean bellgab, do you?

I am proud that I can basically do whatever I want.  Sure, I can't kill a panda bear or use fish as currency,

Why not.

but I can drink...oh yes, I can drink.  What shall your drink of choice be?

Sanka.

WOTR

Quote from: castromiller on June 11, 2015, 10:09:08 PM
That's why I choose Absinthe.  You can have one glass and it has a nice, long lasting effect without the blackout.
So, what brand? Please tell me it is not the cheap, fluorescent green Czech junk.

I may join you in a nice, tall, ice cold glass of Absinthe the first night.  After that, I may rotate through bourbon, whiskey, mezcal and the occasional bit of rum... I'm really not picky and like them all at various points.

castromiller

Quote from: wotr1 on June 11, 2015, 10:29:06 PM
So, what brand? Please tell me it is not the cheap, fluorescent green Czech junk.

I may join you in a nice, tall, ice cold glass of Absinthe the first night.  After that, I may rotate through bourbon, whiskey, mezcal and the occasional bit of rum... I'm really not picky and like them all at various points.
No, the Czech junk is horrible, as is many of the mainstream brands like Lucid.  I really enjoy Vieux Pontarlier which has a great taste.  I also like Alandia Strong68.  Mansinthe, Marilyn Manson's brand is actually really good.  While Absente isn't the best Absinthe in the traditional sense, it is the easiest to get in the United States and I do like the flavor, if you want a good kick I have mixed Absente with Alandia Strong68.     

castromiller

Quote from: The General on June 11, 2015, 10:14:37 PM
You don't mean bellgab, do you?
No.  I mean the real society I pretend to be a part of....I fit in here at bellgab much more comfortably.
Quote from: The General on June 11, 2015, 10:14:37 PM
Why not.
Because there are more Pandas than there used to be...I prefer to hunt the most deadly game of all....television meteorologists.  They run faster then you'd think.  Wiley bastards.

WOTR

Quote from: castromiller on June 11, 2015, 10:43:53 PM
No, the Czech junk is horrible, as is many of the mainstream brands like Lucid.  I really enjoy Vieux Pontarlier which has a great taste.  I also like Alandia Strong68.  Mansinthe, Marilyn Manson's brand is actually really good.  While Absente isn't the best Absinthe in the traditional sense, it is the easiest to get in the United States and I do like the flavor, if you want a good kick I have mixed Absente with Alandia Strong68.     
It is funny you should mention Lucid- that was my purchase at the duty free last trip (and while not swill, it certainly was not great.)  I seem to reach for Taboo a little more often than I ought to.  Perhaps it is because it is made one province over, perhaps it is because it is readily available- but I do enjoy it for what it is (not a completely traditional Absinthe.)

Also, I picked up St. Georges recently... Not the best (in the traditional sense) either.  I have to say that my recent purchases of this particular spirit have been failing.  I actually have to search the back of the cabinet to see if I have any of the really good stuff to celebrate Arts return... If not, perhaps it will be the Alberta Premium 30 year rye?

I plan to have a really nice, aged bottle of single malt scotch for the occasion. However, if I'm feeling a little sleepy-eyed, I may opt for iced coffee, Kahlua, and Belvedere Vodka with a splash of coconut milk.

akwilly

Quote from: bateman on June 11, 2015, 10:13:27 PM
Have you had it before? It's good but I didn't find it to be worth the hype (or the price). Can't remember if it was the 20 or 23 that I had.
I have not had any yet. Where I live I don't think that I will be able to get it but if I ever back in NYC I will at least order a shot or however they serve it.

sydtron

Oh...... probably some Pabst Blue Ribbon.  Im old school and I like my brew hoppy.   Maybe some blackberry brandy.   Straight from the bottle. Because I am a savage.

castromiller

What do you think Art drinks?  I see him as a bourbon man, but that is just a shot in the dark.  Who knows, maybe he likes to unwind with a strawberry daiquiri before each show? Though I somehow doubt that....and if it is the truth, I'd rather not know.  My secret hope is that Art drinks some kind of alien Mead that was discovered during the Roswell crash from a chalice made of UFO parts.

A better question might be... What should some of the guests be forced to drink before coming on the air?

Personally I want to see RCH wrecked on Tequila and interviewed.

PathoJen

Quote from: nextgenfm on June 11, 2015, 11:56:02 PM
everything in my liquor cabinet
that is something you would do to deaden the pain while listening to C2C not MITD. Please reconsider.

PathoJen

Quote from: castromiller on June 12, 2015, 12:29:44 AM
What do you think Art drinks?  I see him as a bourbon man, but that is just a shot in the dark.  Who knows, maybe he likes to unwind with a strawberry daiquiri before each show? Though I somehow doubt that....and if it is the truth, I'd rather not know.  My secret hope is that Art drinks some kind of alien Mead that was discovered during the Roswell crash from a chalice made of UFO parts.
That's a great question. My guess is, he doesn't drink. Very little and only back in the day, and only socially.

Grov505th

Cristal....Quality Mineral Water Bottled in Kabul......well at least until I get home.  then its Sailor Jerry and Coke

I'll be drinking coffee, partaking in some of California's finest plants.

Otherwise I can't sit still and listen to anything

SredniVashtar

Quote from: The Neverender on June 12, 2015, 05:06:41 AM
A better question might be... What should some of the guests be forced to drink before coming on the air?

Personally I want to see RCH wrecked on Tequila and interviewed.

It might have the opposite effect and he'd start talking sense. "Of course, you know this is all BS, Art, and the friendship with 'my friend Walter' was about as genuine as my relationship with Barney the dinosaur." He then pulls down his pants to show Art his 'model'.

You can't help wondering what various guests' favourite tipples are/were.

Malachi Martin sounded like a gin and communion wine man to me.
LMH probably did most of her hard thinking on crop circles off her face on absinthe.
Ed Dames? His own piss.

maureen

café con café con café= coffee with Kahlua and a jay

SredniVashtar

Quote from: FightTheFuture on June 11, 2015, 11:49:25 PM
I plan to have a really nice, aged bottle of single malt scotch for the occasion. However, if I'm feeling a little sleepy-eyed, I may opt for iced coffee, Kahlua, and Belvedere Vodka with a splash of coconut milk.

Rather you than me, but if you splashed it on the carpet I guess it might really tie the room together.

Gemstone

I recently had a delicious cabernet from Napa, Azur 2012. . .if I can find it - I guess something rich and silky smooth.  So I can sit back and enjoy listening to Art. 

Although, I must say I'm looking forward to the show on July 19th with Steve. . .so, for that I might splurge on a Rombauer Cabernet.