• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

sorefinger

When blitzing on sites such as wordpress.com, there's an option to post a URL with your moniker, which becomes hot and is clickable to the URL (e.g. aerbell.com).  IOW, don't post a blitz message, but instead post a normal, contextual, intelligent comment, which hopefully arouses curiosity, in turn causing readers to click on your handle, which puts them on the site where the blitz messages is featured.  It's a subtle way to promote any website, and no one can complain.  For example, as long as you're on a blog commenting anyway, there's no harm in adding a URL to your handle. I've never been called on it, ever, after years of commenting now.

paladin1991

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 07, 2015, 12:44:58 AM
Yup, they don't even have the standards of freaking McDonalds. Sucks, I really like their breakfast food when it's done right. That said I've been blitzing! I may have another author I know that's willing to tweet it out, but negotiations are ongoing.

I started writing letters to men's magazines.  Hope that helps. 

paladin1991

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 07, 2015, 12:48:42 AM
I don't know Dean Koontz, but I had to wonder if we should all email him, compliment him on his books and ask him to shoot out a promotion. I know he listens to Art.

He used to live just a bit down the coast fm me, I think he still does.  I was having a meal in one of the local hi end restaurants down there.  I chatted up the server a bit since it was slow.  Asked if she had ever seen Dean in the restaurant.  She got a little cool and said something to the effect that Dean doesn't like the locals to talk about him.  I'm guessing he's had a person or three knock on his front door.

chefist

Quote from: phrodo on July 06, 2015, 11:53:46 PM
Sorry to hear that Art. We usually pick Waffle House when on the road. Cheap, sleazy yes .. but they cook it in front of you. Denny's hides their cooks. Steak and Shake is another chain that lets you watch what they're cooking. If a cook has a cold or wipes a snotty nose .. well .. at least you can see it.  ;)
You are right, Waffle House is the better choice. I think SciFi said it best, Denny's is just too inconsistent...they used to be much better back in the day, but now almost everything they have is pre-packaged, frozen and reheated...the breakfast cooks at WH are experienced at pantry cooking...

chefist

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 07, 2015, 07:01:26 AM
He used to live just a bit down the coast fm me, I think he still does.  I was having a meal in one of the local hi end restaurants down there.  I chatted up the server a bit since it was slow.  Asked if she had ever seen Dean in the restaurant.  She got a little cool and said something to the effect that Dean doesn't like the locals to talk about him.  I'm guessing he's had a person or three knock on his front door.
I sat next to him on a plane once...didn't say anything as everyone else was talking to him...also, what would I say, never read any of his books...he seemed a little annoyed by the attention...

paladin1991

Quote from: chefist on July 07, 2015, 07:09:06 AM
I sat next to him on a plane once...didn't say anything as everyone else was talking to him...also, what would I say, never read any of his books...he seemed a little annoyed by the attention...
I get that.  Your on your way somewhere and all you want is a double Scotch and a sexy swingin' stew to sit on your lap pour it down your throat and you get dumbasses who don't know the difference btwn 'your, you're, there, their and they're' telling you how you could have made your book better if you had only included 'pitchers' to help them figure out the story line.  And on top of that, they have you confused with another author.  'No dipshit!  I did not write 'Pet Semetary!'

Happens all the time.  Ask the SciGuy.  A lot of folks confuse him for an author.

chefist

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 07, 2015, 07:14:29 AM
I get that.  Your on your way somewhere and all you want is a double Scotch and a sexy swingin' stew to sit on your lap pour it down your throat and you get dumbasses who don't know the difference btwn 'your, you're, there, their and they're' telling you how you could have made your book better if you had only included 'pitchers' to help them figure out the story line.  And on top of that, they have you confused with another author.  'No dipshit!  I did not write 'Pet Semetary!'

Happens all the time.  Ask the SciGuy.  A lot of folks confuse him for an author.
he he...Oh no...prepare for the wrath of a pissed off naval dolphin!

PaulAtreides

Quote from: Art Bell on July 06, 2015, 11:49:24 PM
Hi everybody, just got back from a trip cut short to San Diego where I got sick as a dog from something I ate at Denny's, jeez I was sick. Really a bummer because it cut short our trip.

Art

You ate at Denny's?  Really?  On purpose?  There was nowhere else?

Needle woman

Quote from: phrodo on July 07, 2015, 12:28:01 AM
Heat at 72 degrees? Is that a typo? 92 maybe .. 102 yes indeed .. 82 a welcome relief .. but 72 is like a cool Spring evening here.

My guess is that it was 72 degrees in San Diego, cooler than home but not enjoyable because he was sick. The west has been very hot recently.

Quote from: PaulAtreides on July 07, 2015, 07:34:39 AM

No lima beans..

Lunger

Quote from: PaulAtreides on July 07, 2015, 07:34:39 AM

I was 28 and at Denny's once and realized then that this was the first time I was eating there sober.

I don't believe I've ever been back.

Quote from: Art Bell on July 06, 2015, 11:49:24 PM
Hi everybody, just got back from a trip cut short to San Diego where I got sick as a dog from something I ate at Denny's, jeez I was sick. Really a bummer because it cut short our trip.

Art

Damn. Sorry to hear that, Art. Although, I have to ask, why eat at Denny`s when you`re in a restaurant mecca like San Diego? That`s like going to Vegas to gamble and ending up at the 7 - 11 on the nickel slots.

I reckon Art is just a man of the people. He could eat at any damn 5 star joint around. He eats at Denny`s. Hell, I like that.

PathoJen

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 07, 2015, 08:04:52 AM

Damn. Sorry to hear that, Art. Although, I have to ask, why eat at Denny`s when you`re in a restaurant mecca like San Diego? That`s like going to Vegas to gamble and ending up at the 7 - 11 on the nickel slots.
What did you eat Art? Strychnine? I'm so sorry to hear you were sick. :(

PathoJen

Quote from: Art Bell on July 06, 2015, 11:51:33 PM
Anybody putting up Blitz messages thank you, I know it's not easy. I tried a big Trucker site and got banned for the effort.

Art
How can a trucker site ban Art Bell? That's RIDICULOUS!!

PathoJen

Quote from: WhiteCrow on July 07, 2015, 12:25:43 AM

At last.... Maybe a way I can help with the blitz.
Art I have a knack to get my point across, when I want to :)

If care to, PM me the trucker site links, and I'll spend some time working my magic with good ol boy posts.
Hey Whitecrow. Welcome back.

PathoJen

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on July 07, 2015, 12:30:24 AM
I was surprised to read that too.  Even up here along the coast in Canada it's been in the low to mid 80s for what seems like a couple months.
Summers at the beach are always cool. At my beach, ya I own a beach, the marine layer hasn't lifted in days and days, and the temp remains a steady 68 degrees. So ya, 72 sounds about right for San Diego.

PathoJen

Quote from: (Redacted) on July 07, 2015, 12:39:39 AM

Went to a Denny's in Massachusetts once, ordered a burger and they served it raw.
They forgot to cook it. Hey, it gets busy back there in the kitchen, could happen to anyone.  :P

MAX

Quote from: phrodo on July 06, 2015, 11:53:46 PM
Sorry to hear that Art. We usually pick Waffle House when on the road. Cheap, sleazy yes .. but they cook it in front of you. Denny's hides their cooks. Steak and Shake is another chain that lets you watch what they're cooking. If a cook has a cold or wipes a snotty nose .. well .. at least you can see it.  ;)

I never eat anywhere that does not at least serve beer. Booze kills all fast food germs....  ;D

PathoJen

Let's all Blitz the Denny's forum.

albrecht

As I recall DMRN used to have a phone number by which one could call in and listen to the shows. I'm not sure if it still does or if MITD (and RCH's show) would be on it. I also don't know the limitations or technology involved (how many people can use it?) But this could be a solution also for the older technology-limited fans without computers or WiFi and for truckers with unlimited cell plans. Simply call up that number and put on speaker phone or broadcast to your truck's radio.

Quote from: PathoJen on July 07, 2015, 08:42:15 AM
Let's all Blitz the Denny's forum.

;D

A complimentary Four-Cheese Omelette is in order PathoJen.

Hold the side of Pizza Rolls!

ItsOver

Quote from: chefist on July 07, 2015, 07:06:14 AM
You are right, Waffle House is the better choice. I think SciFi said it best, Denny's is just too inconsistent...they used to be much better back in the day, but now almost everything they have is pre-packaged, frozen and reheated...the breakfast cooks at WH are experienced at pantry cooking...
The local Waffle House is pretty decent.  Clean, good service, and good coffee.  It's SRO most weekdays for breakfast and definitely on the weekend.  The local Denny's?  Crickets.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: PathoJen on July 07, 2015, 08:36:29 AM
Hey Whitecrow. Welcome back.

Thanks Jen. It pains me to turn WhiteCrow into a nice and helpful Bird, but I enjoy reading and posting and on BellGab to much with Art's imminent return, to risk being banned again.
Please forgive my future transgressions as they are bound to happen.

Has anyone else noticed that both Falkie and MV have been absent a lot lately?
Vandeven Enterprizes and The Guy from Pittsburgh merger could be a money making machine. Videos, forums and live podcasts about two guys that clean their own apartments and mow lawns for the rich and famous.... . I'd subscribe!

PING

Quote from: WhiteCrow on July 07, 2015, 12:14:17 AM

Don't see how insults change anything. Hoagie's an old dog, you can insult him all you want and he won't learn any new tricks. Please offer him the time to grow into his new gig as a host.

For example, I maintained that Jimmy Chunga EVP show with Brenden wasn't that bad on Art's Dark Matter Broadcast. Bellgabbers were comparing his performance to nice everyone's Mom persona of Barbara. Jimmy was no Barbara, but if never having heard Barbara to compare him to, Jimmy did a creditable and entertaining show.

Some Bellgabers went on witch hunt claiming that Chunga wasn't part of the orginal EVP team and had no right to replace Barbara. Hogwash, .....trashing Jimmy was another example of Bellgab's follow the leaders, jump on the band wagon group hate.
No different than the group trashing that was done to Keith Rowland.

I'd hate to witness the same thing done to Hoagie before he got a chance to find his footings.

Not to rehash the Chunga debacle, but he deserved the savaging he got and more. My main gripe with Chunga was his rewriting of history of GIS.

NOWHERE in any of the old GIS shows was there a mention of Chunga or whatever his real name is. They said repeatedly (I've listened to the old GIS shows repeatedly; my faves) they were 5 people & not taking new members. Then the out of work attention whore DJ comes on making it seem as if he was part of the group from Day 1.

If he had just said 'I've been fascinated by EVP & recently teamed up with Brendan' I think people would have accepted that & there wouldn't have been the vitriol toward him. People don't like being lied to.

That said, I will be glued to the radio/laptop/phone for the return of GIS.

Quote from: WhiteCrow on July 07, 2015, 09:55:53 AM

Has anyone else noticed that both Falkie and MV have been absent a lot lately?

Noticed MV's absence, Falkie not so much. If you ever needed to wonder why.

(Edited the horrible video)

albrecht

Quote from: NW Kro͞oˈsādər on July 07, 2015, 10:25:54 AM
Noticed MV's absence, Falkie not so much. If you ever needed to wonder why.

Keep at least this thread free of that crappy Falkie guy.

ps: anyone know if the "listening" phone number for DMRN will work with MITD (and RCH's new show?)

Quote from: albrecht on July 07, 2015, 10:30:44 AM
Keep at least this thread free of that crappy Falkie guy.

Its like giving C2C a free plug.

I agree, hence I will edit the post.

;)

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Needle woman on July 06, 2015, 09:45:36 AM
I remember Art saying in the past that he had tried but didn't like TV. Personally, I think listening on the radio is part of his magic. We can imagine his expressions or try to figure out what that peripheral sound was...a cat scratching on the desk, superglue flowing everywhere? Lol!

Agreed. It would only cramp his style. Has the paranormal ever worked in any way on TV? About all you can expect is that it won't be totally annoying. Everything looks so slowed down on TV, there are so many people behind the scenes getting in each other's way. Art is the boss of his show and it stands or falls with him. About the only one I can recall that wasn't a total disaster was the Larry King show that had Art on it, but even then you were left feeling that it would be so much better if it was done on the radio.