• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Your thoughts on the caller driven, annual Ghost 2 Ghost shows..

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, April 18, 2008, 12:39:31 PM

Since it seems like this section was getting no love whatsoever, I tried to think of something apropos (to) this subject.

Now I had heard plenty of C2C before I can ever remember learning specifically about the "Ghost 2 Ghost" shows. I stopped listening to it regularly sometime around the year 2000. I may have been aware of it before, but must have forgotten about it over the years.(VERY SPECIAL) Thanks to Mr. Vandeven's streaming efforts, I have been able to take an aural stroll through radio's Garden of Eden once again.

And so my focus turns to the caller driven annual Ghost 2 Ghost shows. I've seen some other posts that illustrate some of the better points of the open-line format; The "Unscreened Callers" thread comes to mind.  However, I'll state plainly that I personally abhor most of the caller driven shows, and most specifically, the Ghost 2 Ghost shows.  Once in awhile on a regular show you get a caller that's funny, i.e. J.C, or a caller that is actually as versed in any particular scientific subject as the guest and asks informed questions or adds a noteworthy piece of data that helps illustrate the topic of discussion.  But when it comes to Ghost 2 Ghost, there is just so many times I can hear calls that turn into "My aunt died at 9:30p.m., and right when I took a bong hit at 9:31, on the other side ir the country, I exhaled, and DUDE!, the smoke came out and formed a perfect  picture of my aunt! It was awesome."  Or "I really loved my dog and missed him so much after he died. Well one night, about 5 years after he died, I was really missing him. I was sleeping and I all of a sudden this warm feeling came over me.  I started to wake up and realized I felt a presence in the room with me.  I looked down and there was my schnauzer Mr. Wiggles, or at least his spirit, and he was   :o Romancing :o my leg just like the old days.  I just remember feeling so loved at that moment".  These kind of calls drove/drive me up the wall and make me dread hearing that announcement from Art at the beginning of every show. Now I know that not every show can cater to every type of taste, and this is definitely the case with me and Ghost 2 Ghost. I much preferred the E.V.P. shows as far as paranormal subject matter went.

It'd be nice to hear what others think about Ghost 2 Ghost; Likes, Dislikes, Memorable Moments or Callers, etc.

ArtBellFan

Love Art's G2G shows, they were the best for years, I have a collection going back to 1993, the last 3-4 years have not been great with the dumbed down audience that calls in, the best days are gone sadly.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ArtBellFan on April 18, 2008, 12:54:12 PM
...the dumbed down audience that calls in, the best days are gone sadly.
you couldn't be more correct about that.  i read an email today written by a very well known, nationally syndicated radio host who agreed about the "dumbed down" factor of the new audience following C2C since art handed it over.  my point in mentioning this is to point out it's not just the peasant rabble out here who feel this way about the new direction of c2c.  radio insiders are also fully aware of it.

You know, I didn't realize that Noory was still doing it. Scary.

As to those who like G2G, that's why I put this topic up - To hear the views of others, and to hear the reasons they liked the show. Hearing a difference of opinion is illuminati-ng in many cases.

ArtBellFan

Art still does the G2G shows every year on Halloween, not aware that Snoory does it, don't think so.
Here is a G2G show you can download for your listening pleasure from June 10, 1999, Art did G2G other times of the year.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=TnNnblFOQ1JGR0UwTVE9PQ

EvB

In the "Classics" section of the C2C site is a Ghost to Ghost show dated June 10, 1999.  I didn't know Art did them other than on Halloween.  And, you are quite right - caller quality was miles ahead of what it is now. 

Dark Circles

I found it hilarious/painful during last year's G2G when a caller was reading from an obviously scripted story.  I would say that it's acceptable to jot down sparse notes to keep you on track, or at least paraphrasing notes during the call...  But he sounded as unnatural as a below-average student reciting pages from a classroom reading assignment. The story made him the cheesy star of his own B-movie capable delusion. And to top it all off, he had one of those stereotypical nasally nerd voices. I think that call set the standard for most of the callers that night.

tl;dr -

About a caller with a painful, badly executed, scripted ghost story.

I don't believe in Ghosts, so I never found the G2G shows interesting.

I dislike 99.99999 % of all callers. 

By default, G2G is not something I enjoy.

If an automatic cutoff existed, I might find that amusing.  You have 1 minute  to make your point/ask your question before you are dropped.  The guest or host has one minute to respond before a new call drops in.

No more painful ping-ponging with self congratulatory listeners who wish to hear their voice on the air as they "show us the way."  No more trying to speed up a caller because a break is coming up.

(George: You have 15 seconds, make it quick.)

Exception: Anyone quoting biblical scripture (especially KJV) forfeits their minute and is immediately zapped off the air, followed by the "Agonies of Hell" sound clip.

I am anti-caller.

(P.S. And no more truck horns from donut cushion jockeys.  It's not cute or attractive in any way and will not score you any extra points with the lot lizards at the next Flying J.)

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 07, 2008, 02:24:26 AM
I dislike 99.99999 % of all callers. 

By default, G2G is not something I enjoy.

If an automatic cutoff existed, I might find that amusing.  You have 1 minute  to make your point/ask your question before you are dropped.  The guest or host has one minute to respond before a new call drops in.

No more painful ping-ponging with self congratulatory listeners who wish to hear their voice on the air as they "show us the way."  No more trying to speed up a caller because a break is coming up.

(George: You have 15 seconds, make it quick.)

Exception: Anyone quoting biblical scripture (especially KJV) forfeits their minute and is immediately zapped off the air, followed by the "Agonies of Hell" sound clip.

I am anti-caller.

(P.S. And no more truck horns from donut cushion jockeys.  It's not cute or attractive in any way and will not score you any extra points with the lot lizards at the next Flying J.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is EXACTLY why I am anti-caller.

Araxen

I enjoy G2G shows thoroughly and I also really enjoy the year end shows Art does for predictions. I just find them interesting for whatever reason.

danDNA

dunno if it was on ghost to ghost last year, but there was one call that really made me shiver, and i thought i was pretty good at sitting still whilst being told stories. it involved a fella who said his grandmother had disappeared and that no one could find her, and then when they did find here she was in the crawl space of the loft in an old chest curled up. i wish i could find that story, and maybe it was the fact i was alone in a dark van, on a cold night and BOOOO! see  you gotta admit you were scared by it. anyone remember that story? it was probably the best one i've heard from a caller.

Quote from: danDNA on August 14, 2008, 10:32:39 AM
dunno if it was on ghost to ghost last year, but there was one call that really made me shiver, and i thought i was pretty good at sitting still whilst being told stories. it involved a fella who said his grandmother had disappeared and that no one could find her, and then when they did find here she was in the crawl space of the loft in an old chest curled up. i wish i could find that story, and maybe it was the fact i was alone in a dark van, on a cold night and BOOOO! see  you gotta admit you were scared by it. anyone remember that story? it was probably the best one i've heard from a caller.

Yeah, I heard that one too. It was definitely one of the creepier ones.

I for one don't like the G2G shows as much as I used to. Not really due to Snoors takeover, but just because I've noticed the caller's stories are always so predictable and generally, they have no theatrical element to their storyTELLING.

For example, typical call usually includes:

*prepares backwoods trucker voice*

Caller: "Yeah I was drivin one night. Saw a ghost boy on the road. AND DAWGONNIT,  GUESS WHAT? Come to find out, a boy actually got killed on that road!"

Noory: NO WAY! THAT'S INCREDIBLE! FASCINATING!

danDNA

George says "NO WAY!" a lot, same as Ian always says "GET OUT!".

Has anyone noticed whether George Knapp has a 'startled' catchphrase? Has anyone noticed George Knapp is on C2C yet?

I haven't even heard Knapp yet. I always seem to miss the Sunday shows more than any other day.

Queen

omg the noory G2G last october SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED.

G2G is caller driven no guests why were there guest's.   Art needs to go to noory's  "cave" and put a bolder infront of it, after slapping the shit out of him for ruining G2G and C2C.

MattyHusted

i like listening to the ghost to ghosts.
well the art bell ones
not heard any of snoory G2G and i dont intend to

EvB

Quotenot heard any of snoory G2G and i dont intend to

This shows you are a person of taste and intelligence!

Oh, and BTW - WELCOME!

Quote from: EvB on May 05, 2009, 12:14:59 PM

Oh, and BTW - WELCOME!

BE WARNED!!!!! She's a cannibal that thinks she'll become smarter by eating your braaaaaiiiiiinnnns......BRAAAIIINNNSS!!!!!

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on May 05, 2009, 03:41:01 PM
BE WARNED!!!!! She's a cannibal that thinks she'll become smarter by eating your braaaaaiiiiiinnnns......BRAAAIIINNNSS!!!!!

are you talking abut ME?

Humbug!

MattyHusted

Quote from: EvB on May 05, 2009, 12:14:59 PM

Oh, and BTW - WELCOME!
hehe thanks

saab93driver

I can stand about an hour of "good" G2G but you have to suffer through 3-4 to get that good hour.  Not my favorite topic of the show regardless of host. 

In absence of a good guest or set of them, I like the "hot line" shows (NDE, time traveler, alien abductee) and the prediction shows and usually the general open lines shows with Art.

MattyHusted

well i enjoy the ghost2ghost shows but i like the coast 2 coast shows which deal with ghosts,evp,ufos,area 51 etc the supernatural stuff more than the political etc
(political is just an example)

MV/Liberace!

i REEEEEEEEEALLY wish the show would stay off of the financial subject.  i'm not interested in listening to the host's pursuit of free financial advice.  furthermore, the guests selected usually tend toward the apocalyptical by the very nature of c2c its self, so you already know out of the gate what you're going to get.  doom dooM doOM dOOM DOOM!!!

bleh.

EvB

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 19, 2009, 02:34:40 AM
i REEEEEEEEEALLY wish the show would stay off of the financial subject.  i'm not interested in listening to the host's pursuit of free financial advice.  furthermore, the guests selected usually tend toward the apocalyptical by the very nature of c2c its self, so you already know out of the gate what you're going to get.  doom dooM doOM dOOM DOOM!!!

bleh.

AGREED!  In fact - I don't listen to those shows.  For me, they're just an invitation to aggravation or depression.

Art Bell Ghost to Ghost from back in the day was the good ish.

I think there should be a ban on third-hand stories. I'm not interested in a ghost story your grandpa told you when you were six years old. But good, first-hand ghost stories? It's all in the details.

The open line nature of the show has its drawbacks, obviously, and that can't be controlled. But...Art Bell did make an effort in those later years when he asked people with particularly good stories to FAX them to C2C, and if they were good enough, they'd be called directly and put on the air.

snoorysacreep

I happened to "aquire" a batch of ghost to ghost shows i believe its 89-2004/5 and they are just great. 1. its great to hear Art's discussion and analysis. 2. I really like ghost stories and to have hours of them told really is a good time.

Brings back fun memories of staying out way too late, and being creeped out with my old girlfriend (not bragging) listing to 'em live.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: snoorysacreep on February 19, 2010, 11:44:17 PM
I happened to "aquire" a batch of ghost to ghost shows i believe its 89-2004/5 and they are just great. 1. its great to hear Art's discussion and analysis. 2. I really like ghost stories and to have hours of them told really is a good time.

Brings back fun memories of staying out way too late, and being creeped out with my old girlfriend (not bragging) listing to 'em live.
feel free to shoot them over to me if you're inclined.  i could add them to the stream.