• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

We all like to eat, right?

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, August 01, 2008, 02:44:39 PM

My childhood friend's mother was Lithuanian married into a Polish family, and so in my childhood, I was spoiled with homemade pierogi, fresh and smoked kielbasi with Lithuanian style sauerkraut. The dad would drive to Greenpoint Brooklyn to the only authentic Lithuanian bakery in town for fresh bread. Oh, and fresh fried, powder sugar dusted Cruschiki cookies. Those were the days.

In Knobel's amusement park in Pennsylvania, they have a fresh pierogi stand, while the restaurant does a brisk business with chicken on a waffle which is about as good a comfort food as it gets.

Jasmine

Quote from: b_dubb on August 30, 2012, 08:10:06 PM
my Dad and I have been going to this Lithuanian restaraunt in Dayton. they serve pierogi, cabbage rolls and this sauerbatten that is just mind blowing. we eat there once every month or so. I'd go more often if I weren't concerned about cholesterol and weight gain

My mouth is watering for cabbage rolls. My mother makes the world's best - her tomato sauce is like none other I've tasted with cabbage rolls - just perfect - spicy and with a sharp tang. They're a bitch to prepare (and I can become quite the bitch while preparing them!). Quite time consuming - but, Oh!, it's worth it.

Don't know if any Americans know this French-Canadian dish, Tourtiere - a unique and quite delicious (and extremely rich and filling) meat pie. It's usually served on special occasions (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.). I make it from time to time, and it's always a hit at the dining table.

Tourtiere Ingredients:

* 1 pound lean ground pork
* 1/2 pound lean ground beef
* 1 onion, diced
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
* 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. In a saucepan, combine pork, beef, onion, garlic, water, salt, thyme, sage, black pepper and cloves. Cook over medium
    heat until mixture boils; stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is cooked, about 5 minutes.
3. Spoon the meat mixture into the pie crust. Place top crust on top of pie and pinch edges to seal. Cut slits in top crust so
    steam can escape. Cover edges of pie with strips of aluminum foil.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, remove foil and return to oven. Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until golden
    brown. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.I guarantee you'll love this Canuck dish.

Jasmine

Being half Austrian, my paternal grandmother and aunts cooked and baked very rich (and calorie clogging) dishes. While my cooking and baking has long leaned towards the organic-healthy-low fat side, I do bake and cook these dishes (and a host of other international cuisine) at special occasions.

It's a damn wonder my brother and I were never overweight from consuming this food! Thank Buddha for fast metabolisms!

And you're no Austrian (or German) if you don't enter a haus and indulge in schnitzel. The most common type prepared in Austria is weiner schnitzel, but I simply gag on it. So, I opt for breaded chicken or veal schnitzel. It's usually served with a boiled potatoes or fried /grilled cubed potatoes, fries, and/or noodles, and red cabbage. I personally opt for boiled. I also prepare a rich, creamy mushroom sauce to go over the schnitzel - placed in a gravy boat.

Breaded Chicken Schnitzel Ingredients

* 1-1/2 lbs. (750 g) skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 4 medium)
* 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
* 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt
* 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) black pepper
* 1 cup (250 mL) dry bread crumbs
* 1 tsp. (5 mL) crumbled dried oregano
* 1 tsp. (5 mL) paprika
* 2 eggs, beaten
* vegetable oil for frying
* lemon wedges for serving

Cooking Instructions

1. First, you'll have to flatten the chicken breasts so that they're evenly thin (and will cook quickly). On a cutting board or,
   place a layer of waxed paper. Lay one chicken breast on the paper and cover with a second layer of waxed paper. Using a 
   meat mallet, the side of a cleaver, a rolling pin or even just a regular (clean) hammer, pound the meat between the two 
  layers of waxed paper until it is an even 1/4-inch (0.5-cm) thickness. You'll have to turn the breast over several times,
  pounding both sides until they're just right. Take care not to shred the chicken breasts as you hammer them. The chicken
  breasts will spread out to at least 2 or 3 times their size as they flatten. Replace the waxed paper and repeat until all the 
  chicken is flattened.
2. In a pie plate or wide baking dish, combine the flour, salt and pepper. In another pie plate or baking dish, combine the 
    bread crumbs, oregano and paprika.
3. Place the beaten eggs in a third dish.
4. Peel the paper off the chicken breasts. Dredge a piece in flour, then dip in the egg and finally dump into the bread
   crumbs, making sure it is completely coated. Set aside on a large platter (don't overlap the pieces) and repeat with   
   remaining chicken.
5. Pour enough vegetable oil into a large skillet to make a layer 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) deep. Place over medium heat until a pinch   
    of breading sizzles immediately when you drop it in the pan. Place one chicken schnitzel into the hot oil and cook for about
    two minutes per side, turning once. Both sides should be golden brown and crisp, and the chicken should be cooked 
    through (but not dry). Keep warm in a 250 degree F (120 degree C) oven while you cook the remaining chicken.
6. Serve immediately with lemon wedges to squeeze over each serving.  

Jasmine

I don't know if any of you guys are interested in my posting the recipes, but for what it's worth, there you go.

Jasmine

And for dessert, Austrian apple strudel! DE-licious! It MUST be served very warm - straight from the oven.

Jasmine

And here's one more Austrian dish, braised beef steaks, usually accompanied with Lecsó. Lecsó is a rich vegetable stew, and is actually common to Austria, Hungary, the Ukraine, and Slovenia. Each country's recipe can vary slightly. I add plenty of potatoes to mine. This is a VERY rich meal combo - very satisfying.

Austrian Braised Beef Steak

Lecsó

Jasmine

Quote from: UnscreenedCaller on August 30, 2012, 10:10:48 PM
In Knobel's amusement park in Pennsylvania, they have a fresh pierogi stand, while the restaurant does a brisk business with chicken on a waffle  which is about as good a comfort food as it gets.

Chicken on a waffle, huh? Whodathunkit?

Jasmine

This delicous and delectable food, roti, is a Caribbean favourite of mine (it's also made and enjoyed in India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand) and is simply out of this world. I myself prefer the West Indian-Jamaican version.

If you've never experienced roti (with varied fillings of Chicken, beef, goat, shrimp, veg) then you don't know what you're missing. Spicy West Indian currie (India, Pakistani and Malaysian roti  usuallys the heavier contains East Indian curry) mixed with any of or a combo of the aformentioned fillings. Loaded with potatoes and sometimes squash, West Indian roti is primarily made from wheat flour, baking powder, salt, and water and cooked on a tava. Certain rotis are also made with butter (the Jamaican one is).

Roti is often served with brown rice and peas, and is best enjoyed with an ice-cold German beer. Actually, any food is best enjoyed with ice-cold German beer!

coaster

chicken and dumplings are one of my favorite meals.

Juan

I once worked near a small Puerto Rican restaurant.  Every Wednesday, the tiny woman who cooked there made Pastelone for dinner - you had to call in the morning to reserve a slice.

This recipe comes close
1 lb. ground beef
1 tsp. tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
1 green pepper (sm.)
1 sm. onion
5 plantains, ripe (almost black color skin)
1 egg

While ground beef is browning, add all the seasonings. Complete browning. Be sure that there are no clumps in the meats; break the meat up very fine. Drain well.

Cut plantains lengthwise as thin as possible (at least 1/4 inch thin). Fry in hot oil until turns brown. Drain well.

In a 9 inch square pan, beat egg in pan. Coat bottom of pan with egg. Line bottom and sides of pan with fried plantains. Sprinkle in meat.  Top with fried plantains.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes uncovered.

ksm32

I don't think it's a case of everybody liking to eat, but rather, everybody likes to poo. The world is overpopulated and sometimes you just need a little private time.

..so, ya gotta eat, man.

Jojo

Quote from: Up All Night on April 24, 2017, 09:56:45 AM
I like:

and

Weird how they are only half full!  Am I supposed to add fruit!

Jojo

Quote from: Jasmine on August 31, 2012, 10:24:23 AM
This delicous and delectable food, roti, is a Caribbean favourite of mine (it's also made and enjoyed in India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand) and is simply out of this world. I myself prefer the West Indian-Jamaican version.

If you've never experienced roti (with varied fillings of Chicken, beef, goat, shrimp, veg) then you don't know what you're missing. Spicy West Indian currie (India, Pakistani and Malaysian roti  usuallys the heavier contains East Indian curry) mixed with any of or a combo of the aformentioned fillings. Loaded with potatoes and sometimes squash, West Indian roti is primarily made from wheat flour, baking powder, salt, and water and cooked on a tava. Certain rotis are also made with butter (the Jamaican one is).

Roti is often served with brown rice and peas, and is best enjoyed with an ice-cold German beer. Actually, any food is best enjoyed with ice-cold German beer!

I believe I see turmeric!

Robert

Quote from: mv on August 11, 2008, 11:41:30 PMMacaroni And Cheese

Ingredients:
1 Box, Macaroni and Cheese
1/8 Stick, Butter
Some, Milk
Too complicated!  Instead boil & drain macaroni, return it to the pot, mix in Cheez Wiz.

If you don't have Cheez Wiz, then put some American cheese slices in the bottom of the pot & melt w a small amount of milk before stirring the macaroni back in.  Sometimes I add paprika.

chefist

Quote from: ShayP on August 13, 2012, 03:56:14 PM
Hey Grimace.  I'm getting the impression that you like Nutella.  I dunno....just a feeling I have.  I can honestly say that I have tried Nutella maybe twice in my life.  I see it on the shelves and I remember they dropped Kobe Bryant as a spokesman due to his alleged rape case.  I digress.  I am a fan of Marmite though.  I use it as an ingredient in cooking more than a spread, but I do enjoy it on bagles and english muffins.

LOL

ItsOver

Quote from: Robert on January 24, 2018, 10:21:09 AM
Too complicated!  Instead boil & drain macaroni, return it to the pot, mix in Cheez Wiz.

If you don't have Cheez Wiz, then put some American cheese slices in the bottom of the pot & melt w a small amount of milk before stirring the macaroni back in.  Sometimes I add paprika.
Ha.  Buy this.

Microwave.  Enjoy.