• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I'm getting off of the Art Bell train

Started by ponyboysunset, January 15, 2016, 07:15:12 PM

Jackstar

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 16, 2016, 02:32:04 PM
Art should have just swallowed some pride and made good with Premier. He could have had a weekend gig for the rest of his life. Done the show he wanted to do. Had all the music and all the callers. He could have done it forever. But he threw it all away. He could still do it, but he wont. That's a shame.

What are you, fucking high? Making a deal with Premier and doing the show one wants to do are mutually incompatible terms.

Quote from: trostol on January 16, 2016, 02:30:27 PM
gonna have to agree to disagree here...cause this run of shows wasnt great...Art might have been fine interviewing..but many of the shows were not good

It was too much for him. And didn't have the support that he needed. He should have just done one or two nights a week, as I have maintained for years.

Jackstar

Note it is Saturday so if you are fucking high that's totally cool, mang.

Quote from: Jackstar on January 16, 2016, 02:35:51 PM
What are you, fucking high? Making a deal with Premier and doing the show one wants to do are mutually incompatible terms.

They let him do whatever he wanted to do on weekends. It was Noory they were concerned about.

Jackstar

Quote from: onan on January 16, 2016, 12:43:14 PM
for no other reason than to be an ass

The Arbiter Of All Reason hath proclaimed the TOTALITY!!

I don't know how much schooling a person needs to be able to discern 100% of all motivation, but I bet there's very little mathematics involved.

Jackstar

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 16, 2016, 02:39:37 PM
They let him do whatever he wanted to do on weekends.

As suppositions go, this one takes a cake.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 16, 2016, 02:32:04 PM
Art should have just swallowed some pride and made good with Premier. He could have had a weekend gig for the rest of his life. Done the show he wanted to do. Had all the music and all the callers. He could have done it forever. But he threw it all away. He could still do it, but he wont. That's a shame.

Given how he handles things - any one issue doesn't go his way and he's out - it's no wonder he's on the outs with PremRat.  The way they operate is no different from the way people in general, and certainly most of Corporate America operates - in self interest. 

Getting through life and reaching personal goals means putting up with certain things sometimes, accepting that's just the way it is, and moving forward.  Art Bell either can't - or more likely, won't - do that, and handles situations very poorly when they come up.  It's really too bad.

TigerLily

Quote from: Ciardelo on January 16, 2016, 12:47:56 PM
positivity not young man!
Bet MV would ok "Fuck Positivity", though. Praise His Holiness, the Creator

Jackstar

Quote from: Sean92008 on January 16, 2016, 12:38:24 PM
she created a road block at every turn.  I'd write a new song and she'd question why and who was it about...

I don't wanna rag on you here, but if this represents "a road block," performance art (and/or marriage) might not be the ideal field for you.

GravitySucks

Quote from: TigerLily on January 16, 2016, 02:44:57 PM
Bet MV would ok "Fuck Positivity", though. Praise His Holiness, the Creator

Well that would kind of defeat my whole purpose now wouldn't it?

😎

TigerLily

Quote from: Showroom Dummy on January 16, 2016, 01:12:55 PM
here    if anyone needs to start with  page thread art bell 2605
IIRC, DickPenguin made a very disturbing remark about Art and his son. I remember Art really hit the proverbial roof on that one. Not that King of Virgins can't also be a dick

ItsOver

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 16, 2016, 02:16:24 PM
I really don't understand why Art - who is 70, who has a young wife and child who want him around in the evening - couldn't have just done a show once or twice a week. 

At this point it should be just a hobby for him, and something he enjoys doing, but isn't getting in the way of family life.  He could have set up something along those lines to do when he wanted for years to come and everyone would have been happy (him, his family, the fans).

I think the way he handled the music issues was telling - repeatedly insisting he would not go forward with the show if he didn't get his way.  Apparently he has one set plan - the show must be 5 days a week, must be live at a certain time of day, must have certain top quality equipment, must have certain bumper music.  He will only deal with people he already knows and trusts, the show can't be as a fill in on anyone else's program, it has to be net based, there must be a certain number and variety of callers, the show must be free to listen to live some - but pay for itself, on and on with the requirements.

And if any single thing isn't doable, then he's out.  Even when he gets everything he wants, he finds a way to quit after a short period, as he's done each time going back a decade and a half

Yet all along he talks about how much he loves it, how it's in his blood, etc, ad nauseam. 

I really don't get it.  The old saying ''either shit or get off the pot'' comes to mind.
This kind of crap might work for a hot, young tease with a short skirt but not for a 70 year old geezer.

flimflam384

Quote from: trostol on January 16, 2016, 02:22:39 PM
no thats not it

cause When Metallica started to suck..i stopped listening and didn't return

I will always be a fan of Metallica.  They did however cease to exist as a band after the Black Album.  There's another band, with the same name and some of the same members, and they sometimes play Metallica covers live, but I'm not a fan of that band.

Jackstar

Quote from: TigerLily on January 16, 2016, 02:51:36 PM
a very disturbing remark about Art and his son. I remember Art really hit the proverbial roof on that one.

"Sticks & stones
May break my bones
But words...
... aw, fuck it, I quit. am gonna threaten legal action."

EDIT ADDENDUM: "... against some other guy, yeah, that's the ticket!"

TigerLily

Quote from: GravitySucks on January 16, 2016, 02:47:45 PM
Well that would kind of defeat my whole purpose now wouldn't it?

😎
Oh. Yeah.  ;)

The thing with Art Bell, he almost is not needed anymore.

Let me explain.

It is my opinion that listeners and fans of Art Bell absorb his voice and style of broadcasting similar to how people listen to music and artists.  It's not so much that people care and want  to listen to a live show with Art Bell, as it is listening to an Art Bell show.  That is the selling point of the subscription, that you have access to past shows, not all of them, but past shows nonetheless to listen to as often as you want.

Art has a tremendous back log of shows.  You can find torrents, you can find past shows on youtube, and there are a number of sites that have multiple streams of classic Art Bell.

As many posters have pointed out, the Paranormal well has been bled dry, hence Heidi Hollis.  We as a group of longtime listeners are no longer as open minded as we once were given that nothing these guests said has ever come true, no credible proof has ever been shared and most if not all claims have legitimately been debunked.  Even now in 2016 with everyone running around with easily accessible cameras, not a shred of anything has ever been captured.  When Heidi Hollis says she does indeed have a tremendous amount of proof in picture form, but she won't share it because people will just say it's photoshopped is a tremendous claim.

We like Art up till a certain point of tolerance.  Yes it was nice hearing him back on the air, I was excited as hell to have him back on air live, and I honestly hope that he does come back on the air, and kicks a ton off ass. However, he has to decide to be all in, or all out.

TigerLily

Quote from: Jackstar on January 16, 2016, 02:58:21 PM

"Sticks & stones
may break my bones
but words...
... aw, fuck it, I quit."
I get it. Not defending Art. I'm just a stickler on facts.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 16, 2016, 02:16:24 PM
I really don't understand why Art - who is 70, who has a young wife and child who want him around in the evening - couldn't have just done a show once or twice a week. 

At this point it should be just a hobby for him, and something he enjoys doing, but isn't getting in the way of family life.  He could have set up something along those lines to do when he wanted for years to come and everyone would have been happy (him, his family, the fans).

I think the way he handled the music issues was telling - repeatedly insisting he would not go forward with the show if he didn't get his way.  Apparently he has one set plan - the show must be 5 days a week, must be live at a certain time of day, must have certain top quality equipment, must have certain bumper music.  He will only deal with people he already knows and trusts, the show can't be as a fill in on anyone else's program, it has to be net based, there must be a certain number and variety of callers, the show must be free to listen to live some - but pay for itself, on and on with the requirements.

And if any single thing isn't doable, then he's out.  Even when he gets everything he wants, he finds a way to quit after a short period, as he's done each time going back a decade and a half

Yet all along he talks about how much he loves it, how it's in his blood, etc, ad nauseam. 

I really don't get it.  The old saying ''either shit or get off the pot'' comes to mind.

You said it yourself: "...who is 70..." So you really should get it. Art seems to have always been stubborn and inflexible and now, with age, he is even more so. That's not unusual for people who are getting older. Plus, he has even less patience with idiots than he used to have. Less patience also goes with aging. This isn't a defense of anything he's said or done, just a partial explanation.

Jackstar

Quote from: TigerLily on January 16, 2016, 03:00:39 PM
I'm just a stickler on facts.

Sooooo... just how did Bell and Sean David Morton meet?

Quote from: TigerLily on January 16, 2016, 02:51:36 PM
IIRC, DickPenguin made a very disturbing remark about Art and his son. I remember Art really hit the proverbial roof on that one. Not that King of Virgins can't also be a dick

yes but i asked

DP  to apologize and he did  and art responded about 15 minutes later  ending that drama

Quote from: DarKPenguiN on December 29, 2015, 04:55:31 PM
I never said anything about his family... Wait, I did say what happened to his son was bullshit and i would pissed if I was the parent or something like that.

I was only showing the simple fact hat Art lied/stretched the truth/whatever according to the video and legal documents contained within. That was all.

I'm sorry its not a pleasant topic. I'm sad that would happen to anyone and I wish no malice towards Arts family at all.

chefist

Quote from: ponyboysunset on January 15, 2016, 07:15:12 PM
Who's with me? I am calling our first official meeting.

Weren't we all thrown off the train back in December when Art quit again?

Bounder

Quote from: Jackstar on January 16, 2016, 03:03:06 PM
Sooooo... just how did Bell and Sean David Morton meet?

I spent a week in Rachel, NV, toward the end of the 2000's.  Place is a monument to the 1990's.  Glen Campbell (the other one), Bob Lazar, old air show and gun show stickers . . . there's even a little concrete pylon ("time capsule") poured by the Independence Day crew in 1996.

It's all X-Files, TNG, giant posters of shit-hot F-117's when they were bleeding-edge.

Lost era.

Conan O'Brien said once, I think to Charlie Rose, "I'm sure the Greeks didn't know it was a golden era.  It's only after the moment has passed â€" everyone sits around and says, 'Weren't those some great pots we made?'"

The world evolved.  The slot for "slight credulity" that made not just Art's show but the entire 90's Twin Peaks zeitgeist thrive has disappeared in the present mutation.

Quote from: Value Of Pi on January 16, 2016, 03:02:53 PM
You said it yourself: "...who is 70..." So you really should get it. Art seems to have always been stubborn and inflexible and now, with age, he is even more so. That's not unusual for people who are getting older. Plus, he has even less patience with idiots than he used to have. Less patience also goes with aging. This isn't a defense of anything he's said or done, just a partial explanation.

You could be right, but he's always been like this.

I'm not pining away for Art to return, I saw him for what he was after the obnoxious way he strung people along, dribbling out little bits of  information here and there, on the run up to Dark Matter, and then the way that show ended.  I'm just enjoying watching and commenting on the current collapse.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Bounder on January 16, 2016, 03:22:06 PM
I spent a week in Rachel, NV, toward the end of the 2000's.  Place is a monument to the 1990's.  Glen Campbell (the other one), Bob Lazar, old air show and gun show stickers . . . there's even a little concrete pylon ("time capsule") poured by the Independence Day crew in 1996.

It's all X-Files, TNG, giant posters of shit-hot F-117's when they were bleeding-edge.

Lost era.

Conan O'Brien said once, I think to Charlie Rose, "I'm sure the Greeks didn't know it was a golden era.  It's only after the moment has passed â€" everyone sits around and says, 'Weren't those some great pots we made?'"

The world evolved.  The slot for "slight credulity" that made not just Art's show but the entire 90's Twin Peaks zeitgeist thrive has disappeared in the present mutation.

Good point, except for using the word "evolved." It's not hard to make the case that after the fall of Greek civilization, and certainly through the period of the Dark Ages, the world actually devolved. I'm not so sure that we haven't devolved since the '90s, either.

so last night art was on line here   and i suggested
Quote from: Showroom Dummy on January 15, 2016, 11:12:59 PM
so K of K   art bell is on line right now    so if you wish to apologize for whatever the issue was we can put this stupid situation to bed ---just saying
and this is how i was treated

Quote from: VoteQuimby on January 15, 2016, 11:13:50 PM
Fuck off.

i didn't appreciate someone talking to me like that -  i was just trying to put an end to this  art bell insanity   and let us all move on   

boxman

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 16, 2016, 02:17:30 PM

When Art returns -- and he will -- I'll tune in. And when he thinks of another lame excuse to quit, I'll be pissed off and disappointed. And then I'll wait for him to return, and repeat the cycle all over again. That's just Art. That's what he does.

It's love-hate with Art. Always has been. Always will be.
I honestly dont think he will ever be back this time. He has burned so many bridges now that he will have no one to help him build up a new show again. Even the affiliates have probably had enough and wont risk doing business with him again.
If he comes back it will just be to stick it to the trolls/haters and will only be for a show or two just so that he can "prove" that he stuck to his word.