• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

RELIGION Thread

Started by theONE, October 25, 2016, 03:51:49 AM

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 28, 2016, 10:23:53 AM
Yes, but everything went back to religion until fairly recently, historically-speaking. It was in the air they breathed and they couldn't look at anything that wasn't inside that paradigm.

The point is that painting those of us moderns who enjoy a little religion now and then as pacified dupes, the victims of oppressive structures designed to keep us in our places, is an anachronism from a very long time ago, easily refuted by, e. g.,  Liberation Theology.

theONE

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 28, 2016, 08:48:55 AM
I don't have to answer that question. You have to prove the existence of a god. All you are doing is calling human ignorance 'god'. Until we discovered the germ theory of disease people were blaming illness on the will of God. In time we found out that wasn't true. In time, it's probable that we will find out the answer to your question. The idea of god gets smaller all the time as we find out more about the world, this is just another example. And you're not saying which god you believe in, all you are doing is talking about a creative, deistic type of god. Which one of the fruit salad of alternatives on offer do you believe in, and why?

Just because you can't itemise every single element of a theory doesn't invalidate the theory, it just means that there is more to learn. People who believe in God aren't interested in learning anything about the world and would be happy living in some windswept yurt all their lives, tending to a bunch of disgruntled yaks.

1. SV, you can not answer that question because you [nobody] has intelligent logical answer to it.
2. I just did. That theory is invalid, because I took it the the starting point and got those who believe in that lunacy
into the corner and there is no way out . I just asked the "killer" question -and that eliminates all the speculations-
EVOLUTION has no logical explanation [and it never will] how the first evolutionary process started.
Evolutionist just picked point somewhere in the middle and started to elaborate on it,...no - let's start from the beginning and see if your
[evolutionist's] theory holds any water ,.. NO it does not !!! 

3. SV, that statement by you just shows your luck of familiarity with the Scriptures, [but that's fine] - there are some illnesses
that some people experienced in the long past [and experiencing today] that was/is directly the will of God,
[and allowing germs to inflict illness is one way]..other times the illness is present because of the karmic retributions,
other times is just because of luck of hygiene -so there is no one simplified answer to it SV

theONE

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 28, 2016, 09:15:13 AM
Yeah? He's our uncouth peasant. But his observations are sound. Religion the opium of the masses; the modern versions simply an instrument to keep the proles in check; threatening them with eternal damnation if they step out of line. Wonderfully effective.

You pud and millions who think like you are making one very basic mistake, you think that everyone who believes in GOD is automatically
associated with particular religion, -no not necessary.
First God doesn't need any form of religion in order for GOD to exist.
Second, believers in GOD in my case in Jesus Christ don't need to be affiliated with particular branch of Christian religious movement,
at some point we might have been but it's not necessary to blindly follow the doctrines of a particular church.

And those who decide to be associated with particular churches should not be all categorized as blind sheep -some of them are
but there is plenty of independent thinkers and do not agree with all of the doctrines of that particular church.
But the are few very basic fundamental points that every true Christian believes in, they are here:
...but the main is this:
Christians believe that there is only one God, whom they call Father as Jesus Christ taught them.
They recognize Jesus as the son of God and believe God functions as a Trinity.

"The basics of Christian beliefs"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/beliefs/basics_1.shtml

Also that Jesus Christ was living here on Earth and that He was crucified and that He was resurrected from the dead on the third day,
and that He will come back again to establish His Kingdom here on Earth.

theONE

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 28, 2016, 10:04:13 AM
It must be wonderful to live in a place where the Middle Ages seem like yesterday.

lol

theONE

Quote from: Catsmile on October 28, 2016, 02:06:19 PM
Dokyun!

...and your point is ???
I guess I hit the cord with you -what is so offensive -or do you feel guilty of something -if you have need to confess your sins do it now
before it's too late  ;)

Catsmile

Quote from: theONE on October 28, 2016, 02:11:04 PM
...and your point is ???
I guess I hit the cord with you -what is so offensive -or do you feel guilty of something -if you have need to confess your sins do it now
before it's too late  ;)

Point made.

Dokyun... sigh

theONE

Quote from: Catsmile on October 28, 2016, 02:14:31 PM
Point made.

Dokyun... sigh

Get on your knees you sinner and pray for forgiveness of your sinful life to save your soul

theONE

Quote from: Catsmile on October 28, 2016, 02:33:07 PM
Dokyun

you getting repetitious -must be the sins inside of you that are preventing creative forces to flow to your brain
On your knees you sinner and pray for forgiveness of your vile sins, confess them to be forgiven 

theONE

Quote from: Catsmile on October 28, 2016, 02:54:12 PM
Dokyun
I tell you this you sinn ridden wretched creature.
Get on your knees and pray to Jesus Christ to help you to stop living in sin, to free you from the demons that are tormenting your
soul and your body, to guide you to live proper life ,to find peace and joy
Do it now before night comes and the demonic forces intensify their influences on you -you sinful creature -Do it now

theONE

Quote from: theONE on October 28, 2016, 12:15:32 AM
"Exclusive: Christ's Burial Place Exposed for First Time in Centuries"
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/10/jesus-tomb-opened-church-holy-sepulchre/

Restorers working in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Israel uncover stone slab venerated as the resting place of Jesus Christ.

Very interesting info on the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in two articles:

1. "Church of the Holy Sepulchre"
http://churchoftheholysepulchre.net/
2. "Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem"
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/israel/jerusalem-church-of-holy-sepulchre

At bottom of the 2. link you will see this note:
"Map of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem"
Below is a location map and aerial view of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. Using the buttons on the left (or the wheel on your mouse),
you can zoom in for a closer look, or zoom out to get your bearings. To move around, click and drag the map with your mouse.

[and if you manipulate the yellow figure you can take virtual tour]

theONE

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2012
"Here’s how the Zombie apocalypse is “hypothetically” possible"
Prophecy Sign: Pestilence and Plagues

...partial quote:/
Did you know that the book of Revelation seems to describe Zombies? 
Perhaps not the walking dead we usually associate with Zombies, but rather people unable to achieve death, even though they seek it. 
It's a very strange prophecy, and one we are not entirely sure how it will be fulfilled, (perhaps it has something to do with the Mark of the Beast).

Given that it's a day after Halloween, and we found this little video, we thought why not include it on the blog today. 
Especially since the article suggests Zombies could be caused by some sort of virus.  Remember, bible prophecy also warms
that the world will be filled with pestilence, disease and plagues during the Tribulation.

*During those days men will seek death, but will not find it; they will long to die, but death will elude them.* Revelation 9:6 NIV

...end of quote:/ [more info in the article]

"Zombie Apocalypse Science"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa25r6XO394

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 28, 2016, 10:35:47 AM
The point is that painting those of us moderns who enjoy a little religion now and then as pacified dupes, the victims of oppressive structures designed to keep us in our places, is an anachronism from a very long time ago, easily refuted by, e. g.,  Liberation Theology.

Religion literally means 'to bind together', that's its job. You can argue that its influence is relatively benign or not, but in most cases it requires obedience to a temporal and spiritual head. When you get religious differences - I'm thinking particularly about Christianity - the splits occur because one lot thinks the other is misinterpreting the word of God. It's all in-group versus out-group factionalism, but the believers inside that group are firmly entrenched in their own world view. You can't enjoy a little religion now and then, you either believe or you don't, and that belief entails certain observances and obligations. It can't be a la carte even if some people would like it to be.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: theONE on October 28, 2016, 12:46:03 PM
EVOLUTION has no logical explanation [and it never will] how the first evolutionary process started.
Evolutionist just picked point somewhere in the middle and started to elaborate on it,...no - let's start from the beginning and see if your
[evolutionist's] theory holds any water ,.. NO it does not !!! 

The fact that we can't explain how it started doesn't mean that we don't know how the process went on over time, because we have abundant evidence for it. Even religious types - well, a lot of them - concede that the world wasn't created in six days and that the Earth isn't six thousand years old. Evolution is a fact, however you want to pretend it isn't. You sound like you don't have the faintest idea what Darwinian natural selection is anyway, otherwise you wouldn't sound so clueless.

You are a product of evolution. You grab at an explanation for the world, however lame, because you have that genetically coded in you. Being able to make snap judgements had obvious survival value at one time (we needed to decide whether that shape in the bushes was a predator or not, for example) so that these days it's feels natural for us to accept any explanation, however poor, rather than go without an answer at all.

Saying that a god created the world says nothing of value. It's not testable and only appeals to people who want easy answers that don't require them to think very hard. All you have done is repeat the same old stuff the last couple of days. If it were up to religion, people would be stuck in the same old rut all their lives, not daring to think anything that didn't interfere with their precious 'beliefs'.

theONE

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 29, 2016, 06:50:19 AM
The fact that we can't explain how it started doesn't mean that we don't know how the process went on over time, because we have abundant evidence for it. Even religious types - well, a lot of them - concede that the world wasn't created in six days and that the Earth isn't six thousand years old. Evolution is a fact, however you want to pretend it isn't. You sound like you don't have the faintest idea what Darwinian natural selection is anyway, otherwise you wouldn't sound so clueless.

You are a product of evolution. You grab at an explanation for the world, however lame, because you have that genetically coded in you. Being able to make snap judgements had obvious survival value at one time (we needed to decide whether that shape in the bushes was a predator or not, for example) so that these days it's feels natural for us to accept any explanation, however poor, rather than go without an answer at all.

Saying that a god created the world says nothing of value. It's not testable and only appeals to people who want easy answers that don't require them to think very hard. All you have done is repeat the same old stuff the last couple of days. If it were up to religion, people would be stuck in the same old rut all their lives, not daring to think anything that didn't interfere with their precious 'beliefs'.

SV, OK -I'm recognizing that I'm dealing with a person /You/ who has one dimensional thinking here when comes to this /bit complex
I must admit topic/ but I thought from all the people here you will be one amongst few who are capable of grasping this vert logical thinking.
But you let me down.

Let me enlighten you one more time, Sir

1. First as to the evolution and Darwin,..I hope that you are educated enough /and aware of it/ that there is such a thing
as a "mini evolution" within the species and that is accepted by Christianity -but evolution for example from monkey to humans is a total absurd-

2. Natural selection has absolutely no proof that evolution is the reason that all the complex chemicals form themselves from simpler chemicals
just by pure chance,..another totally absurd concept.
How is that possible that some simple chemicals decided to form so complex mathematical combinations of their molecules-atoms
to form other much more complex chemicals -just think about that for a minute,..how is that possible just by pure chance or you are telling
me that within evolution there is also 'intelligence' as well as 'a chance' -- Sir it can't be both -- don't be heretic ,please Sir

3. I'm not product of evolution..maybe you are. I was created by Almighty Creator GOD.
SV if you think that you are product of evolution and originated as a plankton in the ocean that grew legs and walk out from the water
on the dry land and over millions of years evolved into monkey and from monkey evolved into human -- that's your choice for cultivating this
sad and laughable concept --I'm not part of your delusional thinking,..oh no Sir SV

I was created by Intelligent Creator God who also created all other forms of life who also created all the chemicals
who also created all the principles of mathematics etc-etc-etc, ... yes GOD always WAS -there was no time that there was no GOD.
I understand that this might be difficult concept for you Sir SV /and for many others/ to grasp -how there is it possible that 'something'
existed for ever that 'something' had no beginning that 'something' always just WAS
but I can help You to start the understanding process, here is your mental exercise:

Create sooting quiet meditative like an atmosphere /you know lights, music or no music,etc-etc/ sit comfy and close your eyes
and start thinking that you are inside of a space craft that has unlimited fuel/energy source and that you can travel for ever and ever
and start thinking that you will never reach end of the space,
that you will never arrive at the END of it, that you will never arrive at the edge of it and that beyond that edge there is nothing,
that you will never arrive at the wall that will prevent you from father travel possibility

At first when you start focusing on this concept you will feel that your brain that your mind will just snap -that it will just burst into million pieces-
in that moment relax for a second /but don't quit/ keep focusing keep thinking about this concept and soon enough you-your mind will
accept that fact that there is no physical end that there no limit in physical space
-and that will be your base on witch you can start to understand that is possible for 'something' to always exist -since there is no limit
to physical space that means there is no beginning /and it will never be end/ to time as we know it...

And that is your answer

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 29, 2016, 06:33:52 AM
Religion literally means 'to bind together', that's its job. You can argue that its influence is relatively benign or not, but in most cases it requires obedience to a temporal and spiritual head. When you get religious differences - I'm thinking particularly about Christianity - the splits occur because one lot thinks the other is misinterpreting the word of God. It's all in-group versus out-group factionalism, but the believers inside that group are firmly entrenched in their own world view. You can't enjoy a little religion now and then, you either believe or you don't, and that belief entails certain observances and obligations. It can't be a la carte even if some people would like it to be.

That is utterly simplistic, even for you.  That old and mellow faith which celebrates holidays with all the joy and solemnity they mark, gives deference to those moral authorities which inspire, lends a certain spice to sin, and eases the pain of death, but is kept in abeyance where critical faculties are required or my purse is consulted has been the bane of churchmen for generations.   I am pretty sure I share my selective observance with most modern Christians, if not most Christians throughout history.

K_Dubb

SredniVashtar

Quote from: theONE on October 29, 2016, 11:01:37 AM
I'm not product of evolution..maybe you are. I was created by Almighty Creator GOD.

I suppose she must have been having an off-day when she came up with you. I hope you kept the receipt.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 29, 2016, 11:56:27 AM
That is utterly simplistic, even for you.  That old and mellow faith which celebrates holidays with all the joy and solemnity they mark, gives deference to those moral authorities which inspire, lends a certain spice to sin, and eases the pain of death, but is kept in abeyance where critical faculties are required or my purse is consulted has been the bane of churchmen for generations.   I am pretty sure I share my selective observance with most modern Christians, if not most Christians throughout history.

You sound like one of those Ronald Firbank types who like the dressing up and the smell of incense but aren't all that keen on the doctrinal obligations. I smell the stench of hypocrisy, ranker than a dead weasel. You are an Anthony Blancheflower, you pompous dandy.

I don't see how it eases the pain of death if you are worried you might end up in hell. The sort of comforting bromides you have in mind are only suitable for children, not adults. There's no lack of joy or solemnity involved in life simply because you don't accept the fairy tale interpretation of it. It's liberating more than anything else. Too many people don't treat life here with the importance it deserves because they think there is something else that's going to be better. If they realised that this was all there is then they might value their time rather than fritter it away on trivial disputes that don't matter a jot.