• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

b_dubb

Art's facebook page is plastered with attention seeking nonsense.  it's a cornucopia of CLING

McPhallus

Quote from: b_dubb on January 10, 2013, 08:38:11 PM
Art's facebook page is plastered with attention seeking nonsense.  it's a cornucopia of CLING

It was even worse when he first started it and people were tagging him in photos he wasn't in and adding him to groups he had nothing to do with.

coaster

Quote from: coaster on January 10, 2013, 07:28:05 AM
why? that makes a forum so ugly. no offense.I mean I get it, but still..
jesus. Sorry for sounding like an ass there. I dont even know what I was trying to say. I was pretty loaded last night. Sorry about that.

Art Bell

Hi All,

I do not wish to string anybody along, stay tuned means just that. Until I was free in terms of non compete there was no
real way I could be on the air anywhere. Premiere has offered me a slot anytime I wish.....I do not wish.

Now that I can indeed return if I wish there is the matter of a venue, I have some offers I am thinking about but have not
decided on anything as of yet. There was a time that I did not want to compete with Coast because I had no wish to destroy
what I built, Premiere has almost managed to change my mind about that.

Doing a show means devoting your life to it, not just "phoning it in", examples of that can be heard nightly. So a decision to
proceed will have to be done right or not at all. This means the creative freedom is first along with the venue.

While doing Coast at one point, instead of taking more money I opted for a restriction on the number of commercial minutes,
a dumb move because as soon as I was gone they came back PLUS. I do what I do because I love it, not for the money.

So, I just now have come to the point that I CAN do something, if I will or not depends on the above. I hope this helps some
of you understand the process. I would rather do nothing than something half-assed.

Art

coaster

Quote from: Art Bell on January 10, 2013, 10:56:44 PM

Doing a show means devoting your life to it, not just "phoning it in", examples of that can be heard nightly.

Amen.

Marc.Knight

Hi All,

I do not wish to string anybody along, stay tuned means just that. Until I was free in terms of non compete there was no
real way I could be on the air anywhere. Premiere has offered me a slot anytime I wish.....I do not wish.

Now that I can indeed return if I wish there is the matter of a venue, I have some offers I am thinking about but have not
decided on anything as of yet. There was a time that I did not want to compete with Coast because I had no wish to destroy

Doing a show means devoting your life to it, not just "phoning it in", examples of that can be heard nightly. So a decision to
proceed will have to be done right or not at all. This means the creative freedom is first along with the venue.

While doing Coast at one point, instead of taking more money I opted for a restriction on the number of commercial minutes,
a dumb move because as soon as I was gone they came back PLUS. I do what I do because I love it, not for the money.

So, I just now have come to the point that I CAN do something, if I will or not depends on the above. I hope this helps some
of you understand the process. I would rather do nothing than something half-assed.

Art

Thanks Art.  We have Mr. Half Ass on every night.  When you're ready to come back under the right conditions, we'll be there.

The General

Thanks for clarifying, Art, and thanks for posting it here at Coastgab. 

morphiaflow

I suppose that puts an end to all the "Is it really Art's Facebook?" stuff, "What does he mean by that?", and of course, Portland Sources. (Trumped by a Pahrump source!)

So now it's just a matter of when, how and in what format/venue he DOES come back--IF he does.

I continue to live in hope.

Thanks for dropping in here, Art!

Eddie Coyle

Nothing is absolutely better than half-assed. It's better to remember and cherish the great than keep going merely because of keeping "product" out there. I wish musicians would practice this as well.
          Sadly, C2C has become like Saturday Night Live or the Tonight Show, and in name only proposition. The spirit and excellence have long faded.

Gay

Is Art in Philippines or USA?

And I really don't see how Art could do it "his way" in today's corporate terrestrial radio world. His options would be satellite or web.

Would you get satellite radio for Art? I would.

onan

Hi All,

Art

It has been a very long 10 years.

HAL 9000

Quote from: Art Bell on January 10, 2013, 10:56:44 PMHi All,

I do not wish to string anybody along, stay tuned means just that. Until I was free in terms of non compete there was no real way I could be on the air anywhere. Premiere has offered me a slot anytime I wish.....I do not wish.

Now that I can indeed return if I wish there is the matter of a venue, I have some offers I am thinking about but have not decided on anything as of yet. There was a time that I did not want to compete with Coast because I had no wish to destroy what I built, Premiere has almost managed to change my mind about that.

Doing a show means devoting your life to it, not just "phoning it in", examples of that can be heard nightly. So a decision to proceed will have to be done right or not at all. This means the creative freedom is first along with the venue.

While doing Coast at one point, instead of taking more money I opted for a restriction on the number of commercial minutes, a dumb move because as soon as I was gone they came back PLUS. I do what I do because I love it, not for the money.

So, I just now have come to the point that I CAN do something, if I will or not depends on the above. I hope this helps some of you understand the process. I would rather do nothing than something half-assed.

Art

Well, I would not have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes.

Quote from: Art Bell on January 10, 2013, 10:56:44 PMDoing a show means devoting your life to it, not just "phoning it in", examples of that can be heard nightly.

I cannot imagine a more authoritative source/quote for radio executives to dump Noory or start a new program.

Thanks for keeping in contact.

Immy

A few paragraphs from Art was more exciting than any C2C show in recent memory.
Thank you for checking in Art. All the best to you and your family.

lonevoice

Art Bell is back.    If there's any way he can put together a venue that suits his unique needs, we will hear from him again.  Thank you, Art, for speaking out.  You've chosen a most appropriate place to do it. 

A collective consciousness experiment may be in order.   Art wants to broadcast again and many thousands of people have been waiting for 10 years to know that he has that desire.   Listen up, Universe.

Hey Thank you Art for remembering us.  I had just posted this in another discussion thread when I saw a link to your latest message:
-----------------------------------------
Have you ever had a really favorite restaurant or pub, where you had the best times of your life, that gets sold to new ownership?  The new owners come in and redo everything from the menu to the seating to the decorations.  Suddenly the old place that you loved is now gone.  Still you cannot help but drop by the old location, look at the mess they have made, and sigh as you remember the good old days.
Many of us simply drive by occasionally and take a peak at the mess that the Snoreon and company have made of our once favorite hangout.  I personally feel that I was robbed of one of the pleasures of my life in hearing Art Bell type broadcasts day after day.  I often tune in hoping that I just had a bad dream, none of the Noreon stuff ever happened, and I will hear the lucid tones of Art Bell once again.  After a few minutes, I switch off the radio and vow that I am going to have to wake up from this bad dream soon.
-------------------------------
Maybe the bad dream is about to end after all!  We could all go back to Art's place "where everybody knows your name" instead of the current garbage heap "where nobody even cares to ask you your name."  It is time to awaken from a ten year nightmare!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc knight on January 10, 2013, 11:09:49 PM

Thanks Art.  We have Mr. Half Ass on every night.  When you're ready to come back under the right conditions, we'll be there.

This.

Hi All,

Art

Thanks Art!  You were and are amazing at radio, good luck in your endeavors.  As you can see here, after years of not doing Coast you still have a massive and devoted fan base that is pining for your return, what could be a better testament to your career so far.

We will support you on a nightly, weekly, or any other basis but fully understand and support your decisions.  As for not picking Premiere, we clearly all support that to! ;)

popple

Doing a show means devoting your life to it, not just "phoning it in", examples of that can be heard nightly.

I approve of this shade!  8)

...  "phoning it in", examples of that can be heard nightly. ...

To put it mildly

This is the worst part of Coast now, George has so little content in the show how could he not be prepared?  Every book show George does drives me insane, he not only does not read the book he does not know the premise or the take home of the book. Incompetence.

How about a whole Art Bell channel on satellite radio?  Art's pick of shows with other hosts and his old shows and his new shows as the channel anchors!  Well, a man can dream, right?

Scully

Hi All,

... Now that I can indeed return if I wish there is the matter of a venue, I have some offers I am thinking about but have not
what I built, Premiere has almost managed to change my mind about that. ...

Art

I hear you loud and clear.  Refusing to do whatever it is that Premiere does to Coast to make it the mess it is today (in addition to having an arrogant and greedy moron for a host) gives credit to you as a human being. Stand tall, and give us a product worthy of the intellectually curious listeners we are. Please ...  8)

mombird3

Thank you Art. My husband and I look forward to another show with you on it.
We are waiting for you.

coaster

I don't know why one forum post would make my day, but it did. It was really nice hearing from you Art. After reading your post again, I realize I really appreciate the respect you have for radio. As much as I would love to see you come back, I wouldnt want you to if it meant you had to deal with bs again. I loved this - "I do what I do because I love it, not for the money." Right on Art.

bigchucka

Hi All,

Art

I've been a listener of yours since the 1990's when 610 WTVN put your show in Steve "Boom Boom" Cannon's time slot. I've always thought of your show as X-Files: The Radio Show. I still listen to your show now, even though it's not as good.  The main reason is sometimes the guests are still interesting, especially those who do back exercises to help them carry the show along.

If you were to return to doing a talk radio show, would it be a nightly show, or a weekly show?

If you do not wish to work for Premiere, are there other options for you to do a show that would be widely available?  That would mean syndication, and I can only think of two companies that do that any more and they are Premiere and Cumulus.  Any other companies out there?  What would really suck is you return, and the masses have no way to listen, or have to pay for the honor. I know I sound like a cheap bastard, but in this economy many of us are.  I would probably be able to get access to your show online, but I know how to work a computer and internet fairly well, others don't.

Would the format of your show still be in the same genre, or would you take it in a new direction?

Would it be a late night show, or a different time slot?

I remember when you requested that the commercial time be cut in half.  For the format of your show being long form interview, it helped because it gave you about a twenty minute chunk of time to really talk to a guest and get information out there.  Would you have "This half hour brought to you by..." like Glenn Beck does?

Your comment about creative freedom... I was never aware that you weren't allowed this.  I would imagine this working in two ways. Either at one time they said "No, you can't do a show on.....", or they rudely pulled the plug on your broadcast feed.  I don't know if the first example happened, and I would imagine that if the second happened you wouldn't have been back on the air.

Finally, I respect the fact that you don't want to do a show that just "phoning it in."  I'm sure everyone here would agree that we would rather have you on your throne in the Kingdom of Nye full-assed.

elbee

From here in the United Kingdom -

You rock Art Bell

You'l be back...

You have the same intelectual itch for mystery and phantoms that we all do -

Your number ONE

ziznak

take yer time man... full assed all the way.

Juan

Thanks for posting, Art.  I'd love to hear you on the air but wish you well in whatever you do.

kingdomofsigh

Strange. Someone has twice removed Art's comment of January 9th on his Wiki page claiming they spoke with Art Bell and his facebook account was hacked. Doesn't smell right.

Sardondi

Quote from: kingdomofsigh on January 11, 2013, 06:00:42 AM
Strange. Someone has twice removed Art's comment of January 9th on his Wiki page claiming they spoke with Art Bell and his facebook account was hacked. Doesn't smell right.

As much as I want the Art Bell post to be genuine, it seems to me to be "too good to be true".