• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

Quote from: Taaroa on September 26, 2019, 06:37:57 AM
Have been playing Prey (2017) which is a 'spiritual successor' to System Shock/Bioshock and is pretty good.

I might queue this up for some comfy October gaming, I've read good things. It seems to have suffered from being released during a time of peak Marxism in gaming when I dismissed most new releases. Not unlike today.

Taaroa

Quote from: malachi.martini on September 26, 2019, 07:18:54 AM
I might queue this up for some comfy October gaming, I've read good things. It seems to have suffered from being released during a time of peak Marxism in gaming when I dismissed most new releases. Not unlike today.

I'm not sure if I'd call it comfy, but I am enjoying it.
I think it suffered from using the name Prey because people then associate it with the unrelated 2006 game (starring Art Bell), and it didn't seem to have much marketing surrounding it and what there was didn't show what the game is like.

https://youtu.be/CD8Wjmub4B8

Taaroa

Mostly have been playing the Katamari Damacy remake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5f71i_LMP0

The story is that the King of All Cosmos went on a bender and destroyed all the stars, leaving the task of fixing them (by rolling up junk on a sticky ball) to his son.

Corona Kitty

So.... Do you own a super nes mini?

Dr. MD MD

No but I kinda want one. Of all the Classics that have been released it seems like one of the better ones. Right right now I have an FC Twin and a small collection of games for both NES and SNES. If I see a SNES Classic cheap enough out there I’d probably pick it up but right now they’re still fetching the original MSRP or better. You?

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 26, 2019, 03:05:51 PM
No but I kinda want one. Of all the Classics that have been released it seems like one of the better ones. Right right now I have an FC Twin and a small collection of games for both NES and SNES. If I see a SNES Classic cheap enough out there I’d probably pick it up but right now they’re still fetching the original MSRP or better. You?

I own one yes, it's sort of just sitting next to 4 arcade cabinets I bought from a Walmart. Maybe it will find a new home.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: username on December 26, 2019, 03:16:48 PM
I own one yes, it's sort of just sitting next to 4 arcade cabinets I bought from a Walmart. Maybe it will find a new home.

You got 1up cabinets? Which ones?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: username on December 26, 2019, 03:22:41 PM
Yup,

Cool! I was intrigued by the limited edition Atari one they released that had about a dozen classics on it (including trackball games) but recently there’s a new cabinet released by another company (AtGames I think) that looks even better in a lot of ways so now I’m not so sure.

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 26, 2019, 03:31:02 PM
Cool! I was intrigued by the limited edition Atari one they released that had about a dozen classics on it (including trackball games) but recently there’s a new cabinet released by another company (AtGames I think) that looks even better in a lot of ways so now I’m not so sure.

The Atari would be pretty cool, I'll have to check out this company. I also have this sort of hybrid emulator that turns on directly from the joystick module. I have no clue what the hell it is but it has a long list of Fighting games and such... I'll get a photo of that later.

I may give up the SNES mini... Perhaps I could potentially send it over to you, if you don't get one in due time.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: username on December 26, 2019, 04:03:06 PM
The Atari would be pretty cool, I'll have to check out this company. I also have this sort of hybrid emulator that turns on directly from the joystick module. I have no clue what the hell it is but it has a long list of Fighting games and such... I'll get a photo of that later.

I may give up the SNES mini... Perhaps I could potentially send it over to you, if you don't get one in due time.

I wish we lived in that kind of world, myke, I really do...but if I wasn’t willing to hand over my anonymity for a hoodie I’m not going to do it for a SNES Classic. ;)

Thank you for the generous offer though but free speech is worth more to me and I really already have more games than I can play. Find someone local who you think would really want one. I understand that some hospitals sometimes have a video games room for the kids and adult kids. :)

Corona Kitty

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 26, 2019, 04:10:34 PM
I wish we lived in that kind of world, myke, I really do...but if I wasn’t willing to hand over my anonymity for a hoodie I’m not going to do it for a SNES Classic. ;)

Thank you for the generous offer though but free speech is worth more to me and I really already have more games than I can play. Find someone local who you think would really want one. I understand that some hospitals sometimes have a video games room for the kids and adult kids. :)

You don't own a P.O. Box?

Understandable, I've always been a pleaser.

Dr. MD MD

When I ask people who are into video games which system they’re currently having the most fun playing the answer these days is invariably the Nintendo Switch. I finally had the opportunity to try it out last night and was somewhat underwhelmed. I should note that I did not have the opportunity to play it as a handheld so keep that in mind. It was connected to a TV with the individual controllers detached. My main problem is just with how incredibly tiny the controllers are. They’re clearly made for Japanese hands. Not only did I keep pressing buttons I didn’t mean to (that would sometimes take you out of the game to the menu screen) but my host (who has been playing on the system for awhile now) did as well. While I’m sure much of this would be remedied as a handheld it really limits it as a shared gaming experience, IMHO.