• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Change of Display Name

Started by Zoxo, October 12, 2013, 05:10:08 PM

Quote from: mv on November 14, 2016, 01:27:32 PM
i'm looking at it this way:

if people can sign up instantly through an array of social logins (and they can), with no verification/scrutiny on this end, then there's no reason to suddenly get restrictive once they do sign up. 

i like the 4chan idea of no login required, and i'm about four steps ahead of you on that... but spam is my only concern.  ultimately this is where things are headed once i overcome the spam worries.  there are some people who won't like it, but that's the case with any and every change that's made around here.

People will complain about any changes. But going to the proposed system is a huge change and a huge gamble. I think it will either blowup and increase traffic or turn this place into fantastic forum. Honestly, I think the 4chan system wouldn't work for Bellgab. Just my two cents.

JesusJuice

Let's start giving out our Bellgab passwords in this thread. That will make things more interesting.

daldk@5419$

mikuthing01

Quote from: nooryisawesome on November 15, 2016, 11:44:49 PM
People will complain about any changes. But going to the proposed system is a huge change and a huge gamble. I think it will either blowup and increase traffic or turn this place into fantastic forum. Honestly, I think the 4chan system wouldn't work for Bellgab. Just my two cents.

i don't think it will work either mostly because no one cares about Art Bell anymore

mikuthing01

Quote from: JesusJuice on November 15, 2016, 11:56:15 PM
Let's start giving out our Bellgab passwords in this thread. That will make things more interesting.

daldk@5419$

username: mikuthing01
password: password

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Nobody on November 15, 2016, 10:40:49 PM
I wouldn't think enough money exists in the world to make taking care of this place worthwhile, to be honest, even with the relatively laissez-faire approach you seem to have taken.  The nonsense seems positively unremitting.   

I can only conclude that your compensation takes the form of lorryloads of hookers as well as cash (good taste would, of course, preclude any mention of the former).

heh heh, that line got an "lol" out of me.

theONE

daldk@5419$

great idea ,OK my password is: MVworksForME123

theONE

daldk@5419$

MV your turn

WOTR

Please pardon the long response.  But I have been here awhile... And like that long running, rather lame Bellgab joke went, I might feel "invested."  (That was the word, right?)

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 14, 2016, 06:20:53 PM
I don't particularly like the change.  I like to know who I'm dealing with although it may be fun for a joke every now and then.
I'm starting close to the beginning of this latest "debate."  I guess I will say that I am unlikely to ever not be WOTR.  I feel that I like interacting with people I know, and I prefer people to interact with a person they feel they know.  I am a bit of a bastard in some posts.  Some posts I am a little sarcastic and post like a far right or left winger to make fun of them (do you like the swastikas in my eyes?)  But most people get the joke because they "know" me to an extent.

Quote from: mv on November 14, 2016, 06:18:06 PM
honestly, i don't recall a time when things were really that chummy around here to begin with.  that's what comes to mind reading your "fify" quote.

The place always had an "edge"- but it was a little blunted.  I am old and do not like change- so I'm not a huge fan of the idea... I kind of think it may bring out a hone to get that edge that I enjoy razor sharp and cut more than might be healthy.

That said, I will continue to hang around and see where it goes.  I suspect that given the option most of the regular posters (at least the ones I have any respect for and whose posts I enjoy) will keep screen names that make them identifiable.  And if they don't- maybe it will still be good.  If it gets stupid, I'm sure that if I spend several thousand hours scouring the internet, I will find another forum to ruin...

zeebo

Quote from: WOTR on November 16, 2016, 12:31:54 AM
... so I'm not a huge fan of the idea...

I also don't really get the changing your username thing.  I prefer the traditional style of abandoning the site forever in a big dramatic meltdown then signing back up a few days later under a new account.

WOTR

Interesting.  I was going to make my first every 4chan post... was even going to use WOTR as the displayed name and when I hit post?  Banned. 

Apparently you can improve on 4chan by NOT banning my damn VPN.  ;)

Quote from: zeebo on November 16, 2016, 12:52:20 AM
I also don't really get the changing your username thing.  I prefer the traditional style of abandoning the site forever in a big dramatic meltdown then signing back up a few days later under a new account.

A time honoured tradition since the earliest days of the internet.  :D

JesusJuice

Quote from: WOTR on November 16, 2016, 12:53:32 AM
Interesting.  I was going to make my first every 4chan post... was even going to use WOTR as the displayed name and when I hit post?  Banned. 

Apparently you can improve on 4chan by NOT banning my damn VPN.  ;)

A time honoured tradition since the earliest days of the internet.  :D

VPN and TOR are banned on 4chan. They're allowed on 8chan. See you there.

Also don't namefag. That's bad etiquette

WOTR

Quote from: JesusJuice on November 16, 2016, 01:00:32 AM

I'll bite.  WTF is "namefag?"

JesusJuice

I just thought of something. Someone should make /bellgab/ on 8chan. Then we can use that as a bunker whenever bellgab.com shits the bed. I don't want to make it myself simply because I don't want to be a board owner.

theONE

Quote from: mv on November 16, 2016, 12:14:44 AM
m0nkey2016

f*k MV something is wrong with this password, I was able to get into your account here but I can not get
into your server, I need your server password pleaese

mikuthing01

THIS!
I have only known one tripfag that was worth a shit in all my years on 4chan and it wasn't egg girl

norland2424

Quote from: JesusJuice on November 16, 2016, 01:09:44 AM
I just thought of something. Someone should make /bellgab/ on 8chan. Then we can use that as a bunker whenever bellgab.com shits the bed. I don't want to make it myself simply because I don't want to be a board owner.

8chan is only good for random asmr nudes

theONE

Quote from: norland2424 on November 16, 2016, 01:17:33 AM
8chan is only good for random asmr nudes

don't give MV any new ideas

WOTR

So, I looked it up.  It was going to be a throw away post on a sports thread for a team that I had never heard of in a foreign country...  Just to make one post for the hell of it.  I will go back with the VPN off and use the handle "theONE" instead.  Should be good for an evening of fun.

As for 8chan... There is a lot of trash there at a first glance.  However, in the philosophy section I did find this gem...

JesusJuice

The correct url for 8chan is 8ch.net

The one that shows up in Google is something else. Google is censoring it.

theONE

Quote from: WOTR on November 16, 2016, 01:23:33 AM
So, I looked it up.  It was going to be a throw away post on a sports thread for a team that I had never heard of in a foreign country...  Just to make one post for the hell of it.  I will go back with the VPN off and use the handle "theONE" instead.  Should be good for an evening of fun.

As for 8chan... There is a lot of trash there at a first glance.  However, in the philosophy section I did find this gem...

don't play like a typical dirty Canadian --unless you are that desperate

theONE

Quote from: theONE on November 16, 2016, 01:25:47 AM
don't play like a typical dirty Canadian --unless you are that desperate

BTW, I don't even know what 8chan is ,never been there ..and I'm not planing to go there

mikuthing01

Quote from: theONE on November 16, 2016, 01:27:06 AM
BTW, I don't even know what 8chan is ,never been there ..and I'm not planing to go there

I don't like the way it's laid out im to used to 4chan i do check in on /ashleyj/ once in a while even though shes not coming back  :(

theONE

Quote from: ☭Микувещь01☭ on November 16, 2016, 01:30:15 AM
I don't like the way it's laid out im to used to 4chan i do check in on /ashleyj/ once in a while even though shes not coming back  :(

don't understand that part?

WOTR

Quote from: JesusJuice on November 16, 2016, 01:25:38 AM
The correct url for 8chan is 8ch.net

The one that shows up in Google is something else. Google is censoring it.
Thanks... I did find that it did not show up on google... and then I found my way around it (not bad for an old fart*.)  ;)  Image came from the http://8ch.net/philosophy/index.html thread.  I may spend more time on 8 (or 4) chan... But so far I have not seen anything worth sticking around there for.

*I say "old fart" as I'm pretty certain that I am one of the older posters on those boards.  A quick search suggests that the average 4chan poster was born in the mid 90's- which also might explain why it does not appeal to me at a first glance... Fucking whippersnappers.  Get off my lawn!