• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

MV/Liberace!

storm chasers annoy the PISS out of me.

The General

People who think businesses only exists as a hotline for free information.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on February 27, 2012, 06:46:32 PM
storm chasers annoy the PISS out of me.

They suck. But I do enjoy the fact they could very easily be killed in their moronic endeavor. For that alone, I encourage them to fulflll their hobby with vigor. "Bug Chasers",too.

Eddie Coyle

Both the Oscars and NBA All Star game on the same night...and yet again, Al Qaeda nowhere to be found.  >:(

Fuck you Al Qaeda! So many chances to hit the decadent "the Great Satan" and they never do.   Lazy,unmotivated creeps.

CoastCanuck

drivers who drive the speed limit in the passing lane and won't move over.

b_dubb

Quote from: CoastCanuck on February 28, 2012, 06:15:05 PM
drivers who drive the speed limit in the passing lane and won't move over.
Those people are called douchebags and they're from Michigan

ksm32

Woman who have FLAT asses.. even when I was a child I would notice these things. Alot of times these woman had VERY big feet and small breasts. :o

I love my wife but how did she sneak those huge dogs in ? thank God she will never see this.

Ben Shockley

"Original programming" on the History Channel.  And some of the writing thereof.

Okay, we get it!  Cajuns talk funny and do nothing but go around killing gators.   American truckers do nothing but negotiate deadly mountain roads in India, and cuss.   Loggers do nothing but fight and cuss.  "Contrivance," anyone?   It's NOT compelling TV.
And for that matter, how are hunting in outboard motor boats, or going overseas to drive a truck, or using big machinery in logging "history?"

As for the writing:  uh, what has happened to the past tense of the English language used in modern TV, and most noticeably on something called the History Channel? 
Notice how they seem to studiously avoid the past tense in any narration on their own shows; for examples, these "So-and-So War in HD" series.   Ex: "By September 1967, there are 285,000 American troops in South Vietnam.  They are dying at a rate of 20 a day."  Or  "Hitler tells his generals that there will be no retreat from the Moscow sector.  On the front, ill-equipped German troops are dying by the thousands, but they are holding the line."   It's such an obvious contrivance that I can only conclude that they want you to notice it.   I imagine something like genius 22-year-old producers thinking "the past tense isn't cool" or something, so everything has to be told in the present tense, to be "more immediate" and thus "more engaging" to hip young Americans.  Or something.

b_dubb

Quote from: Ben Shockley on February 29, 2012, 04:03:10 PM
And for that matter, how are hunting in outboard motor boats, or going overseas to drive a truck, or using big machinery in logging "history?"
or Ancient Aliens ... or UFO Hunters ... shall i go on?

Quote from: Ben Shockley on February 29, 2012, 04:03:10 PMI imagine something like genius 22-year-old producers thinking "the past tense isn't cool" or something, so everything has to be told in the present tense, to be "more immediate" and thus "more engaging" to hip young Americans.  Or something.
no. not JUST a 20 something.  that's a 20 something that went to FILM SCHOOL.  da dahh duuuuuummmmm

McPhallus

Quote from: Ben Shockley on February 29, 2012, 04:03:10 PM
"Original programming" on the History Channel.  And some of the writing thereof.

Okay, we get it!  Cajuns talk funny and do nothing but go around killing gators.   American truckers do nothing but negotiate deadly mountain roads in India, and cuss.   Loggers do nothing but fight and cuss.  "Contrivance," anyone?   It's NOT compelling TV.

That stuff really isn't history.  It's more like NatGeo type of stuff.  Reality is what sells these days, so they push it to ridiculous extremes in order to get the most viewers.  IMO, reality stuff is pretty interesting as long as it's in reasonable doses.  Remember what HC was before that... endless WW2/Hitler documentaries.  Old West documentaries, all of which seemed to star that one college professor.

QuoteAs for the writing:  uh, what has happened to the past tense of the English language used in modern TV, and most noticeably on something called the History Channel?
Notice how they seem to studiously avoid the past tense in any narration on their own shows; for examples, these "So-and-So War in HD" series.   Ex: "By September 1967, there are 285,000 American troops in South Vietnam.  They are dying at a rate of 20 a day."  Or  "Hitler tells his generals that there will be no retreat from the Moscow sector.  On the front, ill-equipped German troops are dying by the thousands, but they are holding the line."   It's such an obvious contrivance that I can only conclude that they want you to notice it.   I imagine something like genius 22-year-old producers thinking "the past tense isn't cool" or something, so everything has to be told in the present tense, to be "more immediate" and thus "more engaging" to hip young Americans.  Or something.

Probably like you say, to make it more "immediate."  Americans can't remember 5 minutes ago, let alone 50-60 years ago.  This seems to be getting worse with each generation.

McPhallus

Discussion forums where individual posts are rated.  Such places always turn into a big fucking popularity contest.

b_dubb

Quote from: McPhallus on February 29, 2012, 09:16:39 PM
Discussion forums where individual posts are rated.  Such places always turn into a big fucking popularity contest.

except for stackoverflow.com.  that site fucking rules

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: McPhallus on February 29, 2012, 09:16:39 PM

which is why even user post counts are disabled from displaying on posts here.  makes people more equal.  if some new dude starts posting here and sees some asshole with 5000 posts, you know how that will affect perceptions.  at coastgab, everyone is a peasant.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: McPhallus on February 29, 2012, 09:12:45 PM
That stuff really isn't history.  It's more like NatGeo type of stuff.  Reality is what sells these days, so they push it to ridiculous extremes in order to get the most viewers.  IMO, reality stuff is pretty interesting as long as it's in reasonable doses...
In my opinion, that stuff (and other "reality" shows on any other channel) are about as much "reality" as they are "history."   Come on: "reality" is more than just working-class people (or aspiring models, whatever) cussing and fighting-- isn't it?   Conversely, "working-class reality" (or aspiring-model reality, whatever) ain't just cussing and fighting-- is it?
Those were rhetorical questions.
And does that stuff "sell," or is it "pushed?"   I tend to think the latter.

Anyway, I just got a little peeved yesterday at History Channel and it's programming.   When I can summon the energy, I'm going to write a diatribe about "Brad Meltzer's 'Decoded.'"

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Ben Shockley on March 01, 2012, 12:49:48 AM
...I'm going to write a diatribe about "Brad Meltzer's 'Decoded.'"

oh GOD does that show annoy me.

Avi

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on March 01, 2012, 01:20:41 AM

oh GOD does that show annoy me.

Yeah, that reminds me. Television annoys me! I do not own a television, but I am annoyed by people who simply can't accept such a concept. They continually ask me "Did you see ----?" even though they have been informed a multitude of times that I do NOT have a television. NO, I did NOT see it. I DON'T have a television. The only television I know about comes from reading Coastgab regularly.

BobGrau

Quote from: Avi on March 01, 2012, 05:27:19 AM
Yeah, that reminds me. Television annoys me! I do not own a television, but I am annoyed by people who simply can't accept such a concept. They continually ask me "Did you see ----?" even though they have been informed a multitude of times that I do NOT have a television. NO, I did NOT see it. I DON'T have a television. The only television I know about comes from reading Coastgab regularly.

I'd like to narrow that down a little: tv advertising pisses me off big time. These people grew up being exposed to the same shite I was, yet they still go into that industry and repeat the same mistakes their predecessors made.
These days I don't own a tv, and when I'm exposed to tv advertising at a friend's house I honestly feel sick and dirty inside.

But tv shows themselves can still be enjoyable. QI springs immediately to mind. And Breaking Bad.
Breaking Bad fucking rocks.

Avi

Quote from: BobGrau on March 01, 2012, 06:03:31 AM
Breaking Bad fucking rocks.

No spoilers!

I am watching Breaking Bad through Netflix, long after the little ones have gone to bed. I find it very interesting that the DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) is listed as a consult in the credits, although granted, no one really profits from the meth trade. I think I over-identify with Walter White, however. Netflix is only up to season 3, so don't give anythin' away, please.

BobGrau

Quote from: Avi on March 01, 2012, 06:12:38 AM
No spoilers!

I am watching Breaking Bad through Netflix, long after the little ones have gone to bed. I find it very interesting that the DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) is listed as a consult in the credits, although granted, no one really profits from the meth trade. I think I over-identify with Walter White, however. Netflix is only up to season 3, so don't give anythin' away, please.

I had a similar plea from a friend when I watched the first episode of season 4 before he did... my reply was simply 'don't fuck with Gus'

enjoy!

Avi

Quote from: BobGrau on March 01, 2012, 06:24:25 AM
I had a similar plea from a friend when I watched the first episode of season 4 before he did... my reply was simply 'don't fuck with Gus'

enjoy!

Spoiler alert! Do not read further if you haven't seen this fantastic program.

I'm still heartbroken because I so wanted Pip-squeak to be redeemed, and I rather liked the oh-so-gay assistant chemist.

Anyway, you and I have got to throw back a few shots of uisge beatha when I next come to Scotland. You are probably one of the few who actually understands my sense of humour, here, and I will be happy to advise you further on mid-range progression  :D.

BobGrau

Quote from: Avi on March 01, 2012, 06:46:26 AM

Anyway, you and I have got to throw back a few shots of uisge beatha when I next come to Scotland.

If some old man (sorry, old for comedic purposes only) from texas on the internet offers to meet up, does that mean he's really a hot chick in disguise?

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on March 01, 2012, 12:29:14 AM
...even user post counts are disabled from displaying on posts here.  makes people more equal.  if some new dude starts posting here and sees some asshole with 5000 posts, you know how that will affect perceptions.  at coastgab, everyone is a peasant.
I think it's a great idea.
Personally, I figured that it worked more the other way though: not necessarily intimidating the newbies, but making the long-timers consider each other "entitled" and diminishing the newbies in their eyes.
Good idea, either way.

Frys Girl

Birth control debate. Avi.

analog kid

Quote from: Frys Girl on March 01, 2012, 07:16:13 PM
Birth control debate. Avi.

Yeah, there's one that's relevant - 40 years ago.

Avi

Quote from: BobGrau on March 01, 2012, 12:10:55 PM

If some old man (sorry, old for comedic purposes only) from texas on the internet offers to meet up, does that mean he's really a hot chick in disguise?

Yes, you have me sussed exactly.

b_dubb

avi is a hot scottish chick with mutant balls.  there.  at last we have the truth.  now i hope everyone sleeps well with that stuck in their craw

things that annoy me ... network marketing ... mutli level marketing ... amway bullshit

Ben Shockley

Quote from: b_dubb on March 01, 2012, 09:11:06 PM
... mutli level marketing ... amway bullshit
Ah, 1982!!  To be back there again.

Eddie Coyle

Injuring your thumb in a Babe Ruth league game in June of 1990 and still having it bother me 22 fucking years later. "Oh it's a bone bruise, it should heal in a month"
         Aluminum bats suck.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 07, 2012, 01:24:52 AM

Injuring your thumb in a Babe Ruth league game in June of 1990 and still having it bother me 22 fucking years later. "Oh it's a bone bruise, it should heal in a month"
         Aluminum bats suck.

Some turmeric should clear that right up.  Also try aligning your bed with a ley line while you sleep.