• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: rekcuf on December 14, 2015, 03:02:01 AM
When i read pentaprism, I immediately thought of priapism...

<sigh>  You have to be reported

BellBoy

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 14, 2015, 03:00:23 AM
Prove it.

Perhaps it was more a bit, "I am rubber! You are glue!"  ;)

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 14, 2015, 03:03:07 AM

<sigh>  You have to be reported

I know. I'm disappointed in myself. Forgive me?

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 04:47:47 PM
I teach it.  I write and publish regularly.  I've won awards, and I make an excellent living at it. 

Wasn't this your appeal to authority? If the argument is "you know a lot about arguing" you presented the above as evidence,  without specifically stating publications, awards, etc. in the field of argumentation. Another expert in arguing may say that you don't know a lot about arguing. It's possible you teach argumentation but are an expert on DeMorgan's Laws. Without clear evidence it is possible that an appeal to authority informal fallacy does exist.
" But where a proposition is claimed to be literally true on the basis of its assertion by an "authority" whose competence lies in a different field, we have a fallacy of  argumentum ad verecundiam." (Introduction to Logic, Copi page 95).

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 12, 2015, 04:47:47 PM
I even use examples from this site and others in class to show poor reasoning and logical fallacies.  Yours will now be among them.  My students always get a good laugh, especially when they spot someone without the sense or education to know what they're talking about.  So just keep doing what you're doing.  All it does is help us out.

Followed by this ad baculum, where the threat is ridicule in front of an audience.

"The lobbyist uses the ad baculum when he reminds a representative that he (the lobbyist) represents so many thousands of voters in the representative's constituency, or so many potential con­tributors to campaign funds. Logically these considerations have nothing to do with the merits of the legislation the lobbyist is attempting to influence. But they may be, unfortunately, very per­suasive." (Copi, page 88)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: rekcuf on December 14, 2015, 03:04:59 AM
I know. I'm disappointed in myself. Forgive me?

Of course I'll forgive you; I'm just disappointed.  :'(

Gassy Man

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 14, 2015, 03:02:32 AM
It's getting your knickers in a wad isn't it? Nothing more frustrating than arguing with someone who won't argue eh?  ;D ;D
Not at all.  All you're doing is illustrating what happens when someone has nothing to say -- not even when they asked the question in the first place.  ;D

Seriously, what do you think (sorry for using that word) I'm doing except baiting to get such responses?  Nothing serves as a better example for classes.  ;D

Ciardelo

Quote from: BellBoy on December 14, 2015, 03:03:16 AM
Perhaps it was more a bit, "I am rubber! You are glue!"  ;)
Yeah. All hat and no cattle. He can't prove anything so he resorted to attacking me again. Boring.

Gassy Man

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 14, 2015, 03:05:46 AM
Wasn't this your appeal to authority? If the argument is "you know a lot about arguing" your presented the above as evidence,  without specifically stating publications, awards, etc. in the field of argumentation. Another expert in arguing may say that you don't know a lot about arguing. It's possible you teach argumentation but are an expert on DeMorgan's Laws. Without clear evidence it is possible that an appeal to authority informal fallacy does exist.
" But where a proposition is claimed to be literally true on the basis of its assertion by an "authority" whose competence lies in a different field, we have a fallacy of  argumentum ad verecundiam." (Introduction to Logic, Copi page 95).

Followed by this ad baculum, where the threat is ridicule in front of an audience.

"The lobbyist uses the ad baculum when he reminds a representative that he (the lobbyist) represents so many thousands of voters in the representative's constituency, or so many potential con­tributors to campaign funds. Logically these considerations have nothing to do with the merits of the legislation the lobbyist is attempting to influence. But they may be, unfortunately, very per­suasive." (Copi, page 88)
What?  You need to go back and read the context for any such statements.  You're cherry picking things and also don't seem to have a grasp on what an appeal to authority argument is.  Good luck with that.  ;D

Gassy Man

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 14, 2015, 03:06:38 AM
Yeah. All hat and no cattle. He can't prove anything so he resorted to attacking me again. Boring.
Wow, you must have a real persecution complex to believe you were attacked.  Why is that?  What is it that makes you feel inferior?  I was just trying to help you, the way someone rich tries to help someone poor, or someone with an education tries to help someone without.  I offered you words to learn so you can sound more learned and intelligent than using the same words again and again, like "jealous," or finding things more poignant to say than "twat waffle."  This can only make you better.  Don't you want to be better?  Don't you take pity on those who have less, too?  ;D

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 14, 2015, 03:06:05 AM
Not at all.  All you're doing is illustrating what happens when someone has nothing to say -- not even when they asked the question in the first place.  ;D

Again you assume; stop it at once! You make yourself look silly.

Seriously, what do you think (sorry for using that word) I'm doing except baiting to get such responses?  Nothing serves as a better example for classes.  ;D

Oh I don't think you're baiting (Incidentally, when you quote to your classes, do you show all the thread, including your posts?), I think you effect a level of superiority that you don't merit. You teach young people (who's brain hasn't yet fully developed- the part that reasons!) how to argue? Really? What practical skills do you possess? Other than perhaps driving or switching on your laptop?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: rekcuf on December 14, 2015, 03:10:18 AM
I hate being ad baculum'd...

What did you really expect? Seriously.

BellBoy

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 14, 2015, 03:06:05 AM

Or perhaps you are simply a bloviating, pompously pedantic asshat, that just has to get in the last word. Thanks, I haven't laughed so hard in days.

(and 1... 2... 3...)

Gassy Man

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 14, 2015, 03:13:25 AM
Again you assume; stop it at once! You make yourself look silly.

Oh I don't think you're baiting (Incidentally, when you quote to your classes, do you show all the thread, including your posts?), I think you effect a level of superiority that you don't merit. You teach young people (who's brain hasn't yet fully developed- the part that reasons!) how to argue? Really? What practical skills do you possess? Other than perhaps driving or switching on your laptop?
And she still hasn't answered her own question, haha!  Don't ever change, lady -- you're a hoot.  You're a peach! 

Heading to bed now.  That'll give you a whole seven or eight hours to come up with something to post.  I think you can do it.  I have faith in you!  I'm sure without the distraction of actually having someone to talk to, you'll be able to come up with something ingenious.   I mean, that is the stumbling block, right?  Good luck!  Don't strain yourself too hard.  And just remember, none of it changes anything.   ;D

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 14, 2015, 03:14:11 AM

What did you really expect? Seriously.

I think it's a sexual thing; probably sadomasochism.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 14, 2015, 03:17:42 AM
And she still hasn't answered her own question, haha!  Don't ever change, lady -- you're a hoot.  You're a peach! 

Heading to bed now.  That'll give you a whole seven or eight hours to come up with something to post.  I think you can do it.  I have faith in you!  I'm sure without the distraction of actually having someone to talk to, you'll be able to come up with something ingenious.   I mean, that is the stumbling block, right?  Good luck!  Don't strain yourself too hard.  And just remember, none of it changes anything.   ;D

Okay, add that you can turn the laptop off too. I'll give you that one.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 14, 2015, 03:13:11 AM
Wow, you must have a real persecution complex to believe you were attacked.  Why is that?  What is it that makes you feel inferior?  I was just trying to help you, the way someone rich tries to help someone poor, or someone with an education tries to help someone without.  I offered you words to learn so you can sound more learned and intelligent than using the same words again and again, like "jealous," or finding things more poignant to say than "twat waffle."  This can only make you better.  Don't you want to be better?  Don't you take pity on those who have less, too?  ;D
Awe thanks. I do use an economy of words. Jealous? let's get back to you taking that bet.

Prove it.

Gassy Man

Quote from: BellBoy on December 14, 2015, 03:15:00 AM
Or perhaps you are simply a bloviating, pompously pedantic asshat, that just has to get in the last word. Thanks, I haven't laughed so hard in days.

(and 1... 2... 3...)
Hey, you looked up some words, too!  Good for you!  I knew you could do it (even if you didn't).  You should learn a few more and then get together with the lady and form a Scrabble team.  I'm so proud of you!  You defied the odds, and not look at you!  Gold star!  Well done!   ;D

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 14, 2015, 03:13:11 AM
Wow, you must have a real persecution complex to believe you were attacked.  Why is that?  What is it that makes you feel inferior?  I was just trying to help you, the way someone rich tries to help someone poor,

But in an earlier post, you said this provided you a financial benefit. Therefore, it is impossible you were just trying to help him.

Ciardelo

Quote from: BellBoy on December 14, 2015, 03:15:00 AM

(and 1... 2... 3...)
No, he already gave up. It was your bet and my "prove it" that chased him off.

Ciardelo

He's not going to take any bet.

BellBoy

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 14, 2015, 03:18:48 AM

Okay, add that you can turn the laptop off too. I'll give you that one.

Wait, I'm confused... So, you have lady parts too?!

Or is the asshat simply making misogynistic assumptions, as to your gender?

(which has no significance to the argument at hand)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 14, 2015, 03:18:51 AM
Awe thanks. I do use an economy of words. Jealous? let's get back to you taking that bet.

Prove it.

GM is one of those self regarding oafs who you wouldn't get bored of punching. He's found his niche in teaching how to argue because his childhood was filled with him simply walking into the room and pissing people off; that was just his parents.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Gassy Man on December 14, 2015, 03:19:53 AM
Hey, you looked up some words, too!  Good for you!  I knew you could do it (even if you didn't).  You should learn a few more and then get together with the lady and form a Scrabble team.  I'm so proud of you!  You defied the odds, and not look at you!  Gold star!  Well done!   ;D

Isn't it past your bedtime sugar? Got the warm milk ready? Nightlight turned on?

pate

This is great reading, to say nothing of unproven listening...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xt06ZnV-u8

-or {either side of pond}-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECGnZPG57R0

Ciardelo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 14, 2015, 03:20:51 AM
But in an earlier post, you said this provided you a financial benefit. Therefore, it is impossible you were just trying to help him.
He can't prove that either. We are providing MV (may he ever be enriched) with page views and one jealous dude hitting the F5 button to see if he still has the last, tasty, delicious word.

Alright, Gassy, I have another question for you:
In an early post you mentioned this would be read in class next week. However, US colleges have ended classes for the semester/quarter. It would be impossible for you to have a class next week.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: BellBoy on December 14, 2015, 03:22:43 AM
Wait, I'm confused... So, you have lady parts too?!

Or is the asshat simply making misogynistic assumptions, as to your gender?

(which has no significance to the argument at hand)

If I had ladyparts do you seriously think I'd be online? The serially celibate misogynist always revert to using female gender as a (I can't resist) Ad hominem (go me!). Quick Karl used to do it.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 14, 2015, 03:28:04 AM
He can't prove that either. We are providing MV (may he ever be enriched) with page views and one jealous dude hitting the F5 button to see if he still has the last, tasty, delicious word.

Oh is that what it's for! Hey, I'm going to have so much fun...  ;D ;D