• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard C. Hoagland

Started by Richard C. Hoagland, July 20, 2008, 07:01:42 PM

Marc.Knight

Quote from: b_dubb on April 04, 2012, 07:45:54 AM
Did you guys catch Hoaglands comment about not being able to post to his own web site? For a couple of YEARS? He said it was a software problem. Speaking as someone who builds interactive web sites and web based software ... he probably forgot the password and didn't have enough cash / goodwill saved up to get someone to help him.

I am surprised he didn't attribute it to a NASA conspiracy.

expat

Did you guys catch Hoaglands comment about not being able to post to his own web site? For a couple of YEARS?
Yes, this is an old story, and a ridiculous one.
http://dorkmission.blogspot.com/2010/11/hoagland-says-he-cant-post-to-his-own.html

NOTE: Keith Rowland, who knows the password, can access the site no problem. Hoagland is lying.

mannequin

I'm listening to the mp3s now, if Noory could decide, he'd put Hoagland in charge of NASA.
Lmao!

blackshap9

I have to admit i purchased his book dark mission and it was very entertaining. However, after this last interview i think he is running out of ideas. It was imo a very poor performance and possibly his worst ever.
All these people are working on TV productions (or the like) these days. That's where the money is now.

Morgus

Did you guys catch Hoaglands comment about not being able to post to his own web site? For a couple of YEARS? He said it was a software problem. Speaking as someone who builds interactive web sites and web based software ... he probably forgot the password and didn't have enough cash / goodwill saved up to get someone to help him.
yet Hoagland always praised his webmaster "Scotty" Keith Roland - Art Bell's former webmaster.
Maybe "Scotty" needs more power (cash) for his web engines?  ::)

McPhallus

What did it for me was when he claimed a moon (Phobos?) orbiting one of the planets was actually the remains of an ancient spaceship.  Even Noory shot him down on that one.

ziznak

Quote from: McPhallus on April 04, 2012, 07:45:40 PM
What did it for me was when he claimed a moon (Phobos?) orbiting one of the planets was actually the remains of an ancient spaceship.  Even Noory shot him down on that one.
At that point i was already unable to sleep cause he had me laughing my genitalia off every 5 minutes but DEFINITELY the whole "moon is an ancient spaceship" thing.  What some really advanced ancient  spaceship looks like a piece of swiss cheese and its currently double parked outside earth? CLASSIC... and hearing Hoagland previously I almost believed that he really thought that.

chosenbygrace

I'd rather listen to Hoagland over John Liar Lear any day. At least Hoagland knows what's going on at NASA and did write a decent book about the symbolism of NASA. But it seems, unless I missed it, that none of you are aware that Hoagmess... excuse me, Hoagland, has narcissism disorder http://eternian.wordpress.com/2010/03/16/psychopaths-sociopaths-narcissists. Maybe knowing this, you might not be so dagger-toothed on him. It seems to me that people with NPD usually get to be the way they are from bad parenting (flattering your kid too much and shielding them too much) and a bullying event. Narcissists have some inevitable shock-event in their youth, leading to their brain perhaps being wired without a good connection for emotional self control and empathy, and, or, a warping of their mind in a similar way (the mind is a spiritual thing not a material thing). Both my parents have npd, and they nearly got me killed many times. My life is in shambles in large part because of them. I sometimes wonder if I have NPD, and am horrified to think I might have it, though others would say I'm just bipolar, which also horrifies me to think I might have too. I know I do have PTSD from various repeat hellish experiences I've had from living under and relying on too long my abusive parents. I really wish I could pass a law throughout the entire world making it illegal for narcissists to procreate or be parents. They really are that bad. Hoagland is a good example of how a person can seem perfectly rational and very intelligent, and yet have incredibly irrational beliefs based on clearly fanciful things.

My dad is highly intelligent in some things, even taught psychology, and can talk in this irritating smarter-than-you way so that you can't figure out what in the world he's saying, which I really hate because it reminds me of all the same types I've ever come across, whether they were making genuine sense or not, who use high words as a shield for being wise and moral. Yet, to my amazement, he didn't know what logical fallacies were. It amazed me because he seemed to know so much about philosophy and the way he used high words seemed to show he was very well learned in psychology. Though now that I think about it, I remember he didn't do well in law school, so, maybe he wasn't that good of a psychology teacher either.

He goes around saying he's a lawyer when trying to get his way with people who oppose him on something to do with the law, and it's a blatant lie, and says it in a weak and ineffective. Yet, when I've asked for his help for legal matters, he says he's not a lawyer and, "I don't want to, the other side will win" to paraphrase him. He always opposes me because he wants me to think he is superior to me, which I won't give in to doing since it's not true so he very very rarely will side with me and only in a shallow way if ever, and later make things seem like my fault.

Narcissists are indeed two faced. If they want money bad enough, and very much think they deserve it, and believe they can get away with a lie to the "little people", and if they want to protect their reputation which they think is in danger of being ruined by, for example, people claiming they've stolen credit (hint, hint) (or if they are already caught in a lie but benefiting from it and not getting in trouble), they, in their permanent arrogance, will lie, and try to sound believable. I can't know if Richard knows he's making absurd and baseless claims when babbling about torsion physics and other very wacky claims (he seems to give in at times and say it's just his opinion about such and such), but to increase his book sales, avoid having to work hard, and to keep away the painful subject of his false claim to Europa fame, tries to eat up all the air time to misdirect and obfuscate and get everyone interested in other subjects, like the possibility of getting to Mars anytime soon.

I also suspect Noory is a psychopath because of his putting on one obvious liar or severely deluded person after another, and just agreeing with whatever they say nearly, though at times showing he doesn't believe them. Like tonight he had on a man claiming we could time travel, but then a caller mentioned 9/11 and you can guess what the question was, and then the guest said no you can't go back, because, he said, you can't write documents with your hands, or push anyone off a cliff with your hands (obviously just babbling to avoid having to admit he's a crappy liar peddling utter stupidity) and George said, "OH, SO YOU CAN'T GO BACK IN TIME" or something like that with an "Oh so you're contradicting yourself?" tone. But Noory then just lets the guest get away with more childish rambling. Noory also admits that some people are frauds, as in psychics, and insisted upon it with of all people, a skeptic guest who wouldn't admit that! (He can really pickem). Too me, if you know some are frauds, and have the ability to catch people in contradictions, and have good insight into human behavior, and he does, and yet you let them try and pull the wool over everyone's eyes anyways, and do so repeatedly without concern for the lives you may destroy, you're either a psychopath, or one very greedy and lazy person (lazy in Noory's case since he just sits there for hours to make money) with a burned out conscience.

And what's with his hate for Richard? So a lot of you hate him too but George lets him get on and babble away, why, since he obviously is disgusted by him? You can hear the displeasure in Noory's voice, I can at least. I wonder if it's because he knows Richard won't admit the truth to being the first to say Europa had an underwater ocean and that that's making him look bad too. I wonder if Hoagland's voice reminds Noory of someone he doesn't like or something, but knows he's stuck with him because of tradition and not having anyone better willing to fill in.

Tara

Chosenbygrace:   Some people are just evil, to varying degrees.  I worked with narcissists and know them like the back of my hand.  Ultimately, it all boils down to personal choice, what impulses you choose to act upon.  Read "People of the Lie" by F. Scott Peck.  "The Sociopath Next Door" is another good book.

Re: Noory and Hoagland, both feel comfortable with each other because they won't call each other on their delusions and paranoia;  both of them have these disorders in spades.

BobGrau

expat

Quote...knows he's stuck with him because of tradition and not having anyone better willing to fill in.
Not true, Bob Zimmerman (whose opinion of Hoagland -- and vice versa -- is very similar to mine) would be very willing to become science adviser. Zimmerman's politics are not to my taste but he's a hella good commenter on space & astronomy.

fysisist

I actually wouldn't have a problem with Hoagland if he carried that title around with him and used it when he came on the air, you know, "In the first hour, Narcissist and Coast to Coast Science Advisor Richard C. Hoagland...". 

The reason Noory doesn't like Hoagland is that Hoagland makes Noory out to be a fool, time after time, which I'm sure we would all agree is not difficult to do, but George continues to fall for the same traps.  One thing he does do that I absolutely love: it's when he's running some typical BS story and then he pauses to ask Noory, "...and do you know what that is, George?".  Then the clown Noory stumbles and bumbles around for a few beats and then blurts out something ".... Global Warming???" or whatever, and then Hoagland replies in his superior tone, "No George it's HYPER-DIMENSIONAL PHYSICS...", leaving Noory to look even more stupid than usual.  Noory falls for it every time.  Pure genius.   

preston

Quote from: fysisist on April 05, 2012, 01:52:25 PM
I actually wouldn't have a problem with Hoagland if he carried that title around with him and used it when he came on the air, you know, "In the first hour, Narcissist and Coast to Coast Science Advisor Richard C. Hoagland...". 
Don't you mean Science Fiction Adviser

Oversoul

Quote from: Tara on April 05, 2012, 06:39:25 AM
Re: Noory and Hoagland, both feel comfortable with each other because they won't call each other on their delusions and paranoia;  both of them have these disorders in spades.

Must be a variation on the theme of "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine."  Could also be a bad case of mutual masturbation between them.

Oversoul

Quote from: chosenbygrace on April 05, 2012, 06:05:17 AM
. . . Like tonight he had on a man claiming we could time travel, but then a caller mentioned 9/11 and you can guess what the question was, and then the guest said no you can't go back, because, he said, you can't write documents with your hands, or push anyone off a cliff with your hands (obviously just babbling to avoid having to admit he's a crappy liar peddling utter stupidity) and George said, "OH, SO YOU CAN'T GO BACK IN TIME" or something like that with an "Oh so you're contradicting yourself?" tone. But Noory then just lets the guest get away with more childish rambling. . . .

A point of clarification:  The guest may have been misunderstood here.  He said one could not PHYSICALLY travel in time but would be able to time travel in CONSCIOUSNESS (just awareness) only without the benefit of using any of the five bodily senses.  Perception of the future or past event will be made using some other faculty of perception available to consciousness.  The guest is consistent with his time travel theory when he suggests that one could travel back in time and become aware of past events, but not be able to physically alter those events due to the absence of a physicality with which to introduce a change in the sequence of events.  Hence, the guest's example of "you can't write documents with your hands, or push anyone off a cliff with your hands" by which you might attempt to introduce a critical new link into the chain of events.

Quote from: Oversoul on April 06, 2012, 02:47:52 AM
A point of clarification:  The guest may have been misunderstood here.  He said one could not PHYSICALLY travel in time but would be able to time travel in CONSCIOUSNESS (just awareness) only without the benefit of using any of the five bodily senses.  Perception of the future or past event will be made using some other faculty of perception available to consciousness.  The guest is consistent with his time travel theory when he suggests that one could travel back in time and become aware of past events, but not be able to physically alter those events due to the absence of a physicality with which to introduce a change in the sequence of events.  Hence, the guest's example of "you can't write documents with your hands, or push anyone off a cliff with your hands" by which you might attempt to introduce a critical new link into the chain of events.

In as much as time travel can ever be consistent...

houstonmacbro

Quote from: mannequin on April 04, 2012, 01:15:30 PM
I'm listening to the mp3s now, if Noory could decide, he'd put Hoagland in charge of NASA.
Lmao!

Hoagland's just sad ...

texaskdog

Hoaglund is great!  How many times did disclosure ALMOST happen. 

stevesh

Quote from: texaskdog on April 06, 2012, 08:22:35 AM
Hoaglund is great!  How many times did disclosure ALMOST happen.
The same number of times Jesus ALMOST came back?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Tara on April 05, 2012, 06:39:25 AM
"The Sociopath Next Door" is another good book.

Hmm... that DOES sound like an interesting read.

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

Quote from: preston on April 05, 2012, 03:45:46 PM
Don't you mean Science Fiction Adviser

Hark! I hear the sound of Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov spinning in their graves! Even they don't want to be associated with Hoagland, and they're currently deceased. 

Hoagy needs a fitting title for all the scientific *research* he's done, like, oh I don't know ... maybe  "Special Adviser to the Bullshit Propulsion Laboratories"?

Sleepwalker

Does anyone know what Hoagland's credentials are?  If I am correct, he doesn't have a Ph.D. in any of the sciences from a real university.  Does he even have a master's degree in anything?  Even the typical high school chemistry or physics teacher will have a master's degree.  Is Hoagland qualified to be a high school science teacher?  Does anyone know what the qualifications are to be the "science advisor" to Coast to Coast AM? 

Wait.  I think it's starting to become clear to me.  The people behind Coast to Coast AM live in a parallel universe.  "Science," in this parallel universe, has a completely different meaning than the "science" we are used to in our universe.

In our world, science is a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws.  Knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

In the parallel universe of Coast to Coast Am, science is a collection of goofy ideas thought up by anyone who can get past the call screeners.

I'll bet you won't hear THIS in the mainstream media!

Morgus

Quote from: Sleepwalker on April 07, 2012, 04:43:57 PM
Does anyone know what Hoagland's credentials are?
Check out this linked web page for info on Hoagland's credentials:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/hoagland/credentials.html

From the wikipedia page for Richard C. Hoagland:

Background
Hoagland's self-reported curriculum vitae[2] includes positions as Curator of Astronomy & Space Science at the Springfield Science Museum, 1964-7, and Assistant Director at the Gengras Science Center in West Hartford CT 1967-8. He was a consultant to CBS News during the Apollo program[13]. He had a consultancy with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center from 1974 until 1983, contributing documentation on the Orbiting Astronomical Observatory project, among others. His résumé is null for the years 1984-present.

McPhallus

Hoagland strikes me as someone who might've been legit back in the day, but something weird happened in the early 80s, and then the crazy kicked in.

Tara

Quote from: Sleepwalker on April 07, 2012, 04:43:57 PM
Does anyone know what Hoagland's credentials are?  If I am correct, he doesn't have a Ph.D. in any of the sciences from a real university.  Does he even have a master's degree in anything?  Even the typical high school chemistry or physics teacher will have a master's degree.  Is Hoagland qualified to be a high school science teacher?  Does anyone know what the qualifications are to be the "science advisor" to Coast to Coast AM? 

Wait.  I think it's starting to become clear to me.  The people behind Coast to Coast AM live in a parallel universe.  "Science," in this parallel universe, has a completely different meaning than the "science" we are used to in our universe.

In our world, science is a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws.  Knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

In the parallel universe of Coast to Coast Am, science is a collection of goofy ideas thought up by anyone who can get past the call screeners.

I'll bet you won't hear THIS in the mainstream media!

I was unsuccessful in finding ANY information re: RCH's education.  No mention of any college attendance.  Don't think he has a college degree, even a bachelor's.  Some "scientist."

Tara

Quote from: Morgus on April 07, 2012, 09:09:21 PM
Check out this linked web page for info on Hoagland's credentials:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/hoagland/credentials.html

From the wikipedia page for Richard C. Hoagland:

Background
Hoagland's self-reported curriculum vitae[2] includes positions as Curator of Astronomy & Space Science at the Springfield Science Museum, 1964-7, and Assistant Director at the Gengras Science Center in West Hartford CT 1967-8. He was a consultant to CBS News during the Apollo program[13]. He had a consultancy with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center from 1974 until 1983, contributing documentation on the Orbiting Astronomical Observatory project, among others. His résumé is null for the years 1984-present.

Do you realize how ridiculous his stated resume is?  He was born in 1945, and from the ages of 19 to 22 (1964 to 1967) he was a curator of an Astronomy & Space Museum?  In fact he probably only had some part-time job at a museum while he was possibly going to college.  Sounds fishy.   Curator of a museum at age 19, my eye. 

Ben Shockley

Re non-credentialed Hoagie being the "science adviser"--

This is just more evidence of -- and a product of-- how low-brow "Coast" has basically always been and how it's bottomed-out in the Noory years.   The show counts on people so unsophisticated that they have no idea what a "curator" nor probably even what a "museum" is except to think ...excuse me: feel... that it sounds "smart" and "official."

Art played that audience for all it was worth.   Note as y'all listen to those old shows how he'd intone anyone's Degree In Anything, emphatically and dramatically, like it was a Doctorate In Everything, knowing how Guest X's  Certificate In Stenography would always wow a certain percentage of rubes.   Hey-- it all wowed him, so why not  the rubes?

But let the record show that I'm still a Hoagland fan, for pure far-out fantasy-sparking ability.   "Old Navy" stores part of an ancient conspiracy??   How can you NOT love the guy?!?!

Sardondi

He's not delusional - he knows he's one of the greatest con men in world history, a guy who never came close to an academic course on physics or space but who through sheer brass and balls conned hundreds of thousands of people into thinking he was more than a floor sweeper at NASA; and who has actually persuaded people that he was Walter Cronkite's personal space advisor, when the closest he got to that was suggesting to the anchorman how to make his closet seem bigger.

chosenbygrace

Quote from: Sardondi on April 10, 2012, 12:09:45 PM
He's not delusional - he knows he's one of the greatest con men in world history

As someone who's studied narcissism, psychopath and sociopathy, I can say with assurance that he has narcissism disorder light. Listen carefully to the Coast show where he was on with Zubrin. Signs of narcissism:

1) Talking over others, repeatedly, Zubrin specifically
2) very long sometimes rambling talking, common on many of the shows on Coast he's been on
3) Saying, "let me finish" or "I have to finish" (and I have nothing against that, but it's a particular sign of someone with npd)
4) A prideful tone
5) Pretentiousness/Dramatic pretending (note how Richard often sets up a show with things like, "Have I got a story for you,"  "My secret contact in NASA" (basically saying, "I'm special, look what I have, look what you don't know and what only I can tell you through my special connection which you don't have"). He also prides himself on "his" ocean speculation of Europa, which even was his original thought, still was not the first to consider it as he wants everyone to believe. It's true, cons use dramatic fakery and don't all have npd, but again, it's is a typical sign of npd, and so if you're showing many of the basic and classic signs, it's evidence you have it, and definitely if it's your usual behavior, rather than just on a show or to sell a product or service. Part of his pretending is also his obviously shallow credentials, which as anyone can see, isn't even backed up by any great accomplishments like discoverying some unique star.
6) Constant repeated focus on self much more than others, and when mentioning others, usually tieing (is that how you spell it, never tried to spell that word before lol) that back with yourself somehow thereby keeping the attention doubly on yourself (doubly as in not just being the one heard or read, but also mentioning yourself in your talking)
7) Laziness. As fervent and full of knowledge Hoagland seems to be, he, as someone here pointed out, hasn't posted a reply on his site in years. And like I said in his credentials, hasn't accomplished anything, not even something that anyone can do if they spent enough money on some very good telescope and looked through it long enough, to discover something unique in space. But despite all his passion for astronomy, he doesn't even do that, doesn't even try to add to the knowledge of anything known in space, but rather parrots what others have said, and wants, seemingly, credit and great adoration for it.
8. Very narrow focus in life. Everyone knows Hoagland focuses almost entirely on space, specifically what NASA is and isn't doing. I had to put a period after 8 otherwise it comes out as a happy face.
9) Casual and arbitrary dismissal of important things with assumption or for an illogical reason. Example, not long ago Noory asked Hoagland about UFOs or disclosure or specifically why he never talked about them. And he gave a reply like, "Because it's a dead end and disclosure will never happen"). How does he know this? And when it comes to NASA covering things up, everyone whose watched documentaries or a fair amount of UFOs on NASA space vids, or who watched SCI FI / Syfy's documentary on the Kecksburg Acorn knows NASA has covered up some things, and it would make sense for Richard to use those as examples of how NASA covers up things. And covering up UFO sightings is a classic example. Why would Richard never mention them then? He has if I remembered right mentioned the covered up structures on the moon, and pointed out odd building like features on Mars, and even put some focus on an iffy structure on Phobos, that monolith, but UFOs are nothing worth mentioning, the things not just sitting still that everyone notices? Why doesn't he mention Gary McKinnon? But now that I think about it, it may be he doesn't mention these things, because it takes the focus off him and his discoveries (and it may be a subconcious reaction). He doesn't want to say, "Gary McKinnon alleges he saw such and such in NASA computers (and yes I had nothing to do with that)" and direct people to going to a website about Gary. He wants people going to his site and reading about him. He doesn't want people watching endless stories and looking at endless pics of UFOs, he wants people to instead dwell on him and his accomplishments, "his" pictures of whatever on the Moon, Mars and some asteroid in space. If he were not as lazy as he is, more intelligent, and bothered to even spend some money on someone to do the work for him (narcissists are also stingy) he could just collect a ton of good UFO pics and put them on his site.

Now this, this is narcissism heavy, the so called malignant kind, the kind that if your parents have, to 100% avoid or run away to replace with hopefully mentally sound parents: Proof Alex Jones is a Psychopath.

The old guy who comes in half way through the video acting goofy at times who claims that's psychopath is wrong, it's malignant narcissism, which I know from a very long study of the person in the beginning of that video, so long I can't bear to listen to him anymore.