• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Reading Minds: The CoastGab Book Club

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, October 23, 2008, 12:06:30 AM

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on June 25, 2014, 03:06:36 PM
Regarding MacDonald, (I dropped the "a" previously), there's a really simple formula:  Read the Travis McGee series, preferably in order... 

Hunting the books down alone will turn into an excellent time waster.

I have not read the Robbins memoir yet. It may take longer to finish than I thought. I haven't had a Robbins fix since B is for Beer, so I'm savoring each sentence during downtime.  And also, life is getting in the way the way it does.

But as Frank would say... "That's ---------

(and bellgab has been eating into the clock ... I am posting too often... which in and of itself is not a bad thing, but it leads to reading all the other posts and it's easy to lose track of time... but sweet vacation is looming and the electronic plug will be - if not completely pulled - significantly throttled down.)

((these are all just excuses for being a challenged reader... Why Camazotz Automat Can't Read - The True Story of a Vertigo Stricken Cyclops))

Thanks!  We have an excellent public liberty, so I'm sure they have some of the Travis McGee books.  I"ll take to the interwebs to get the proper order.

I haven't had a Robbins fix since I suffered through "Fierce Invalids."  That was when I realized his Muse had forsaken him and his creative engine was running on fumes. 

I know what you mean about Bellgab taking up waaaay too much time.  I unplugged on vacation last month, but it didn't take long to come crawling back for just one more fix before I got myself right.  Big mistake.

Enjoy your vacation!   8)

paladin1991

Just started 'Collective Retribution' by  D.S. Edwards.  I can't put it down.  Will post again on this.

Jackstar

I had just started reading Game of Thrones when the NSA took off and bricked my phone from orbit. At that point, I went on mindstrike.

I think I would like to read tHHGttG again. I know that I am holding tea and no tea at the same time right now. I bet I can find another fractal doorway!

zeebo

Quote from: Jackstar on June 26, 2014, 08:32:53 AM
... I think I would like to read tHHGttG again. ...

J ...  I suggest you pour yourself a nice pan-galactic gargle-blaster, drop a babelfish in your ear, and go for it.  Fwiw, the second book, tRatEotU has my all-time favorite opening line:

"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This has made alot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on June 19, 2014, 12:52:51 AM
Would you say it's a life worth examining and adding to the summer reading list?  I'm sure it was a wild ride full of adventures most of us can only envy, but if it turns out he's not a nice persons, I'd rather not know. Just wondering, because I read Another Roadside Attraction at an impressionable age, and it had a profound, positive, and lasting influence on aspects of my early spiritual development, for which I'm still grateful. After that, I was an avid, rabid fan for a long time, but then one of us changed, and his last few books just didn't seem to have the same mojo workin'.  So please let me know if I'll like him if I read his memoir.  Thanks!

I thought Tom Robbins jumped the shark with Village Incognito. But the shark tooth aura bequeathed upon landing on the other side of the tank only added to his (c)harm.

I didn't give up on him after Wild Ducks Flying Backward even when he did not include his essay, Superfly : The Toadstool That Conquered the Universe.

When I read B is for Beer, I was surprised at how much I liked it, but thought it was an incredibly long wait for such a short story.

To your question - after reading the just published Tibetan Peach Pie : A True Account of an Imaginative Life I still like the guy just fine. But you probably would have guessed I would.

I say read it.  Worst case scenario, you tear down an older literary god you no longer revered as much anyway. Even Pan dissolved in Jitterbug Perfume.

[attachimg=2]

A link to the Toadstool essay:

http://shroomn8r.tripod.com/legendsoftheshroom/id7.html

Tom Robbins interview in High Times mentioning some misinformation appearing in Toadstool:

http://www.hightimes.com/read/high-times-archives-tom-robbins-interview

Be seeing you.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 07, 2014, 06:32:47 PM

I say read it.  Worst case scenario, you tear down an older literary god you no longer revered as much anyway. Even Pan dissolved in Jitterbug Perfume.

Be seeing you.

That's a most appropriate and elegantly stated analogy.  Many thanks!  I will check The Village library.

Eddie Coyle

Jack Germond/Jules Witcover "Whose Broad Stripes and Bright Stars: The Trivial Pursuit of the Presidency,1988"  

Gee, fella, why are you reading about the 1987-88 Primaries/Convention/Campaign in July, 2014?

Because I'm the type of motherfucker who has a magnetism that draws quasi-autistics who would actually want to talk about Richard Gephardt.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 07, 2014, 10:55:05 PM
     Jack Germond/Jules Witcover "Whose Broad Stripes and Bright Stars: The Trivial Pursuit of the Presidency,1988"  

Was the book any good?

I just read Jihad vs McWorld (1995)...still good, still valuable.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 07, 2014, 11:35:34 PM
Was the book any good?

It's pretty good, I could see partisans on both sides easily complaining about it's "unfairness". It was a mediocre field full of lackluster candidates. Between this book and Richard Ben Cramer's "What It Takes" about '88, Joe Biden was almost being written about in a past tense.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 07, 2014, 10:55:05 PM
     Because I'm the type of motherfucker who has a magnetism that draws quasi-autistics who would actually want to talk about Richard Gephardt.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on July 07, 2014, 11:35:34 PM
Was the book any good?

I just read Jihad vs McWorld (1995)...still good, still valuable.

This is a privilege.

Observe the ~Eddie Coil~ effect in action in real time with Mind Flayer Monk's question.

One can almost feel the fluxing of the gauss needle without looking at the magnetometer; pegging the mark, again and again, in its little window.

The thing might as well be a Geiger counter lobbed like a cubist's softball at the Fukushima power plant.

It's almost Calvinistic in its certainty.

I am filled with the irrational urge to scan my front yard with a Coinmaster 6000 metal detector.  I feel lucky.

onan

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 08, 2014, 12:09:01 AM
This is a privilege.

Observe the ~Eddie Coil~ effect in action in real time with Mind Flayer Monk's question.

One can almost feel the fluxing of the gauss needle without looking at the magnetometer; pegging the mark, again and again, in its little window.

The thing might as well be a Geiger counter lobbed like a cubist's softball at the Fukushima power plant.

It's almost Calvinistic in its certainty.

I am filled with the irrational urge to scan my front yard with a Coinmaster 6000 metal detector.  I feel lucky.

Life is once again... good.

After reading the discourse between Eddie Coyle and Mind Flayer Monk with commentary by Camazotz Automat I must agree with onan.
"Life IS once again... good."     (Emphasis mine.)

albrecht

"The Farm" by Tom Rob Smith (couldn't resist with such a generic name for an author, gotta be a nome de plume.) And because I'm still into the Scandi novels and the keep turning them out and have more character development than many American mystery/thrillers and anything remotely having to do with winter or cold in the summer is my read-of-choice. This one is cleverly plotted and uses some interesting literary techniques.
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/05/farm-tom-rob-smith-review

Quote from: albrecht on July 08, 2014, 05:03:38 PM
"The Farm" by Tom Rob Smith (couldn't resist with such a generic name for an author, gotta be a nome de plume.)
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/feb/05/farm-tom-rob-smith-review

What if the author's legal name is O. MacDonald?

The publishers take him aside, "We'd like to talk to you about something we sort of overlooked when we accepted your book..."

albrecht

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 08, 2014, 05:53:12 PM
What if the author's legal name is O. MacDonald?

The publishers take him aside, "We'd like to talk to you about something we sort of overlooked when we accepted your book..."
:) Classic. And I didn't even think of that. Book was pretty good but definitely would be better the O MacDonald as author's name.
And, congratulations, you are a recipient of the first smiling face deal I've ever done. Figuring this internet thing out! Step 1: done. Now for using them in txting and fwding nonsense to all my friends, Step 2.

Quote from: albrecht on July 08, 2014, 07:38:30 PM
:) Classic. And I didn't even think of that. Book was pretty good but definitely would be better with the O MacDonald as author's name.
And, congratulations, you are a recipient of the first smiling face deal I've ever done. Figuring this internet thing out! Step 1: done. Now for using them in txting and fwding nonsense to all my friends, Step 2.

I am pleased I assisted in your piercing the smiley face barrier, albrecht. I'm sure you will master the frowning face as well, because though a cliché, the sweet is just not as sweet without the sour and that holds just as true for parsing out any symbol, I think.

I know Jazmunda and Yorkshire pud make me cry a hell of a lot. They keep the tear duct smiley primed to the everlovin' gills. It's a chronic condition to which I have acclimated, somewhat like strolling along at Tibetan altitudes and being egged by invisible locals.

Auf Wiedersehen!

:)

Thanks for the heads up about John MacDonald and Travis McGee, Cam!  Our liberry doesn't have the whole series, but yesterday I picked up the earliest two they have--The Deep Blue Good-by, which I couldn't put down until I'd finished it, and Darker Than Amber, which I'm halfway through and plan to finish today.  Then I'm going back for more.  Wow.  Thanks again!

Went back for more yesterday, and spent the evening devouring Nightmare in Pink, my favorite so far.  I'm still in shock, but from his descriptions of the effects of the "treatments" he received in the hospital of horrors, MacDonald was obviously speaking from personal experience, and I now have a very good idea why he was so enlightened for his time. I am absolutely in awe of the man's mind.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 14, 2014, 10:20:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up about John MacDonald and Travis McGee, Cam!  Our liberry doesn't have the whole series, but yesterday I picked up the earliest two they have--The Deep Blue Good-by, which I couldn't put down until I'd finished it, and Darker Than Amber, which I'm halfway through and plan to finish today.  Then I'm going back for more.  Wow.  Thanks again!

I'm really glad you decided to hunt these down.

I read a lot of old pulp detective, but honestly, the vast majority of them don't touch MacDonald's deft hand at a McGee thriller. If I consume several pulp detectives in a row, they start blending together like butter. But several Travis McGee novels in a row somehow retain their individualistic flavor.  Totally different beast than a traditional pulp detective, though obviously many similarities. As much as I like the older time period settings of Spillane or whomever, the time period of McGee resonates more.

I don't know what it is... perhaps the strength of the character and MacDonald's strong conviction pounded onto paper. Is it the depiction of a "hero figure archetype" that speaks to one's core? Never really analyzed it.

If someone were to put a gun to my head, I would say two of my very favorites, all said and done were:

Pale Gray For Guilt
The Dreadful Lemon Sky

But in reality.... so damned difficult to choose, since they all made different impressions.  Blue and Pink set the stage and are unquestionably powerful.

So I choose not to decide. (Bite me, Geddy Lee)

I can tell you my least favorite: Michael Vandeven's Mustard Train Wreck.

That son of a bitchin' book caused riots and should be
banned
burned, & ashes
buried!

John D. MacDonald always felt the manuscript should have been destroyed, but the publishers fought the estate...

(Henry Miller called these types of publishers "Greedy c*nts.")

The book capitalizes on man's inhumanity against man and the predatory nature of the universe.  So it's like shopping for coffee creamer*** at a psychopathic store, a real Mustard Train Wreck!

But seriously, you're more than welcome for my suggestion to give them a shot. Glad it's working out as a nice Summertime killer.

*** In sing song voice:
Onan killed a mean store clerk.
I know where he hid the jerk.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 16, 2014, 05:33:05 AM
I'm really glad you decided to hunt these down.

I read a lot of old pulp detective, but honestly, the vast majority of them don't touch MacDonald's deft hand at a McGee thriller. If I consume several pulp detectives in a row, they start blending together like butter. But several Travis McGee novels in a row somehow retain their individualistic flavor.  Totally different beast than a traditional pulp detective, though obviously many similarities. As much as I like the older time period settings of Spillane or whomever, the time period of McGee resonates more.

I don't know what it is... perhaps the strength of the character and MacDonald's strong conviction pounded onto paper. Is it the depiction of a "hero figure archetype" that speaks to one's core? Never really analyzed it.

If someone were to put a gun to my head, I would say two of my very favorites, all said and done were:

Pale Gray For Guilt
The Dreadful Lemon Sky

But in reality.... so damned difficult to choose, since they all made different impressions.  Blue and Pink set the stage and are unquestionably powerful.

So I choose not to decide. (Bite me, Geddy Lee)

I can tell you my least favorite: Michael Vandeven's Mustard Train Wreck.

That son of a bitchin' book caused riots and should be
banned
burned, & ashes
buried!

John D. MacDonald always felt the manuscript should have been destroyed, but the publishers fought the estate...

(Henry Miller called these types of publishers "Greedy c*nts.")

The book capitalizes on man's inhumanity against man and the predatory nature of the universe.  So it's like shopping for coffee creamer*** at a psychopathic store, a real Mustard Train Wreck!

But seriously, you're more than welcome for my suggestion to give them a shot. Glad it's working out as a nice Summertime killer.

*** In sing song voice:

I haven't read a lot of pulp detective fiction, mainly for the reason you stated.  I'm a lifelong fan of the Nero Wolfe series, which isn't really pulp, and I was introduced to Raymond Chandler a couple of years ago, which was a revelation of the same magnitude as discovering MacDonald.  In a way, Travis McGee reminds me of Marlowe and his early prototypes, with the key difference being he still loves life and having fun, while Marlowe is jaded, world weary, and just plain exhausted by the tawdriness of the world in which he operates and all the evil shit people do to each other. 

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 16, 2014, 05:33:05 AM

These are some of my favorite thrillers ever. I think I've read the entire series by now. What I think I liked, besides MacDonald's strong  convictions coming through his character was the essential humanity of McGee. The descriptions of finding the bodies of women he'd loved have stayed with me - you know his character suffered with each of these deaths, and yet while he hunted the killers and  unraveled the mysteries behind the killing, he never looked down on the sleazier people he'd come in contact with, but damned if he didn't pay back crooked developers and the like . And, of course, the houseboat, that inspired setting.

Talk about timing!  I was just Googling to see if any of the McGee books had been made into movies and found this item that was just released:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/christian-bale-travis-mcgee-1201139639/

While Christian Bale wouldn't have been my first choice, he's good enough that he'll probably be able to pull it off.  And he certainly wouldn't be anywhere close to being as horribly miscast as he was as the diminutive Melvin Purvis in that gawd awful "Public Enemies." 

I also found that Sam Elliott played McGee in two early eighties TV movies, which was a decent casting choice.  Unfortunately, according to an IMDB review, they moved the setting to California and didn't include his houseboat.  Morons!  I'll never understand why movie makers can't leave books well enough alone and always feel the need to change them for the screen.

Re-reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

zeebo

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 26, 2014, 11:51:27 PM
Re-reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

I finally read Cat's Cradle.  Don't know why I waited so long.

Quote from: zeebo on July 27, 2014, 12:20:35 AM
I finally read Cat's Cradle.  Don't know why I waited so long.

Did you like it?  I should brush up on that one because it's been many years since I last read it.  "Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God," is some of the best advice I've ever received, and I've made a point of taking those suggestions, whenever feasible, for my entire adult life with no regrets whatsoever.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 27, 2014, 12:24:48 PM
Did you like it?  I should brush up on that one because it's been many years since I last read it.  "Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God," is some of the best advice I've ever received, and I've made a point of taking those suggestions, whenever feasible, for my entire adult life with no regrets whatsoever.

Yes I thought it was a kick, particularly all the Bokononism references.   I like that this invented philosophy/religion was so goofy that it actually did a decent job of explaining things.   :D 

"Busy, busy, busy, is what we Bokononists whisper whenever we think of how complicated and unpredictable the machinery of life really is."

Tarbaby

Rereading the ringworld series, Larry Niven. Just finished book one yesterday. Great fun getting lost on the huge ringworld! And the assortment of imaginative characters.

paladin1991

Working my way thru 'Rainbow Six.'  Interesting read made so by personal experience with equipment and training.   No.  I'm not a Ninja.  Just some guy.

zeebo

Quote from: Tarbaby on August 13, 2014, 06:59:39 AM
Rereading the ringworld series, Larry Niven. Just finished book one yesterday. Great fun getting lost on the huge ringworld! And the assortment of imaginative characters.

It's on my Sci-fi reading list.  Always meant to read it, but it slipped through the cracks.  Ok maybe that's a bad analogy, given how gigantic the ringworld is.

zeebo

Quote from: paladin1991 on August 14, 2014, 01:42:05 AM
...   No.  I'm not a Ninja.  Just some guy.

Hmm ... sounds like something a ninja might say.