• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

How did George Noory get hired?

Started by 999, December 04, 2012, 10:33:57 AM

Seriously - does anyone know how GN was hired? What process?
Granted, he was a lot better at the beginning of his tenure at C2C, but he's such a terrible radio host it's hard to imagine that there was any in-depth scrutiny during the hiring process.

ItsOver

Don't know the details PremRat went through to hire Noory.  Throwing darts at a board?  ;)

How does Noory KEEP his job after demonstrating his incompetency, night after night?

Eddie Coyle

Like Johnny Bravo, he fit the suit.

Actually, they wanted somebody who'd show up every day and not ask questions. That's George.

Wasn't George doing a show called Nighthawk in St. Louis which was paranormal based? Was he hand picked by Art because of this?

Juan

I doubt if Art had much to do with it. sNoory was doing a show in St. Louis.  It probably had decent ratings.  The Cheap Channel execs met him, and because of his experience as a news director, he knew how to smooze them.  In the short term, he comes across as a decent guy.  He agreed with the terrible plan to move to Los Angeles.  He probably works relatively cheaply. Art, wanting to get the hell out, probably said, "Yeah, he's OK."

MV/Liberace!

i think when art left (again), he was at the point of not really caring in any particular way.  noory simply was there, he wasn't mike siegel, and getting him in the chair meant one less thing to be bothered by.

am i imagining this, or did i read that ian punnett was originally offered the gig, but turned it down?

NoMoreNoory

The mystery to me with George has always been twofold.

1. Apart from the fact that he is useless for C2C, I cannot understand how he ever got to work behind the microphone on live radio. He can't speak, he can't read, he can't write copy and he can't conduct an intelligent interview to save his life. Worse: for a show that depends on its callers, he is the world's worst at this. He doesn't listen, doesn't inter-act with his callers, cuts them off without following through and runs away when anything approaching emotion surfaces. I was listening to Best Of Coast just the other night and had to stop. The subject at hand meant that he was getting calls from people who were vulnerable and depressed. He treated them with such callous indifference, it was distressing to hear. If I was his producer, I'd be warning him he'd have to sharpen up or step down. In short, he seems to lack all basic broadcast and journalist skills, so how the hell he ever got employed is beyond me.

2. Google George Noory. Notice anything? In this day and age, you can Google anyone in the public eye at pretty much any level and find out a decent amount of personal and professional information. With George.......almost nothing. He has a wiki page which is similarly bereft of any significant detail.
Now Google Nighthawk, the radio show similar to Coast that Noory apparently hosted. Nothing comes up. But nothing. Just a few links to mentions of it in interviews with Noory and on his Wiki page, which offers no internal link to Nighthawk within Wiki. As far as the Internet is concerned, the show effectively never existed, which I find very odd.

Everything about Noory is odd.

Sardondi

Quote from: 999 on December 04, 2012, 10:33:57 AM
Seriously - does anyone know how GN was hired? What process?
Granted, he was a lot better at the beginning of his tenure at C2C, but he's such a terrible radio host it's hard to imagine that there was any in-depth scrutiny during the hiring process.

I once supervised a demure baby lawyer who was a poster child for the life of privilege in upper class society. She grew up with dancing schools, ice-water teas, Ms. Manners, legacies and cotillions. This young lady was always so very appropriate and polite, completely buttoned up and reserved. The day came when we had one of the regular  changings of the guard at our office and, after countless years of having served under dedicated, responsible bosses who either knew their job or knew enough to leave us alone and let us do it for them, we for the first time had to answer to a complete butthead. The new boss was a harpy from hell: a self-seeking, conniving, complaining, fault-finding, false careerist, for whom it wasn't enough that she should succeed, but that everyone else should be seen to fail as well. The new boss was the kind of person who immediately sucked all the joy out of every room she ever entered. She was a miserable choice, totally unsuited for her position, and it was blindingly obvious to everyone in as well as outside of our office.

So we spent a lot of time asking ourselves the same question now asked about George: "How did (s)he get hired?". Which the polite, demure, little society lawyer surprised us by answering one day when she nonchalantly said, "Somebody's dick got sucked."

Morgus

I recall in the final year of Art Bell's regular weekday hosting in 2002 the network added several hosts to tryout on weekends and for fill-in hosts when Art had to take off frequently due to back problems.
Noory was one of those, and apparently was picked as the best of the hosts that tried out back then, and was most available for fulltime regular duty since some like George Knapp and Ian Punnett (who had been hosting weekends even before that time) had regular daytime gigs and could only work on weekends a few times a month.

Art Bell may have provided input, but he was leaving so the network suits probably made the final decision based on who would do what they wanted and follow their own wishes.
Noory as a network "yes man" would be perfect for them, so Art probably commented that Noory "gets it" in that regard, Noory follows the network orders without question it appears...

Eddie Coyle

Sometimes I think Premiere hired a stiff like Noory as a gambit to get Art back full time. "Hey, if he'd return because of Mike Siegel's hackery...Jesus Christ, he'll come runnin' once Noory gets hold of this show!" 

And here we are...a decade(decayed) later. The "Windy City Heat" of radio continues on. Look it up if you don't know what I mean.

Sardondi

Of course Noory's hiring, as well as Art's retiring, could have just been a very deep game of "Love Me, Want Me, Beg Me" on Art's behalf.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on December 04, 2012, 11:10:47 AM
Like Johnny Bravo, he fit the suit.

You can take that in more ways than one. To the OP's question, some folks think that Noory got his job through either black magic or black*mail*. I think that Morgus likely has it right. His past still is a mystery, though.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Sardondi on December 04, 2012, 12:44:58 PM
"Somebody's dick got sucked."

And the dick still sucks. Someone had to say it. :-[

NowhereInTime

My recollection was that George filled in for Rush Limbaugh when he was going through his hearing difficulties.  I understood that PremRat & Art both approved of his performance during that time (circa spring/summer 2001 if I recall correctly) and that George showed himself capable of hosting a nationally syndicated show.  Fool me once shame  on you.  Fool me twice, then Sumthin's Happeneen!!!

HorrorRetro

Quote from: NowhereInTime on December 05, 2012, 05:58:49 PM
My recollection was that George filled in for Rush Limbaugh when he was going through his hearing difficulties.  I understood that PremRat & Art both approved of his performance during that time (circa spring/summer 2001 if I recall correctly) and that George showed himself capable of hosting a nationally syndicated show.  Fool me once shame  on you.  Fool me twice, then Sumthin's Happeneen!!!

I don't recall Noory ever filling in for Rush.  I could be wrong, but I don't recall that at all.

NowhereInTime

Yeah, realize as I posted I should have cited a link and now that I google it, I don't see any evidence to support my spotty memory.   I'm sticking with the story but it may be total crap.

Morgus

Quote from: NowhereInTime on December 05, 2012, 06:24:34 PM
Yeah, realize as I posted I should have cited a link and now that I google it, I don't see any evidence to support my spotty memory.   I'm sticking with the story but it may be total crap.
you probably had some weird alternate universe memory that some have reported before.
but in this universe, Noory NEVER guest hosted for any major daytime national talk show host.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Morgus on December 05, 2012, 07:11:18 PM
you probably had some weird alternate universe memory that some have reported before.
but in this universe, Noory NEVER guest hosted for any major daytime national talk show host.

It's official. Rain Man has spoken. ;) I kid the Morg, but he does have a knack for Coast minutiae that borders on savant status without the idiotic bit. Also, if Noory filled in for Limbaugh or anybody like him, we would never hear the end of it.

DAE

Quote from: Morgus on December 04, 2012, 02:52:59 PM
Noory was one of those, and apparently was picked as the best of the hosts that tried out back then

I shudder at the thought that we listeners might be responsible for picking Noory!  I sort of remember that as well, trying out a few hosts.  I vaguely recall also that listeners liked George more than the others?   Strange, I do remember not minding George for the first year.  Not a fan, but wasn't turning off like I am now.  I just assume that over the decade I matured and became more intelligent, yet Noory didn't keep up.  But in fact he seemed to go in reverse or something.  If for some god-awful reason I was responsible in part for getting George hired, I deeply apologize to humanity, as well as pre-apologize to any alien lifeforms who will eventually receive these radio broadcasts.  God, what have I done!!!  lol

Ipokesmot

Only thing worse than Noory would be Barb Simpson.  :o   What a bitch.

stevesh

Quote from: Ipokesmot on December 06, 2012, 04:00:11 AM
Only thing worse than Noory would be Barb Simpson.

You're forgetting Hilly Rose - worse than Noory, IMO.

Juan

Now leave Hilly alone.  One of his shows is where we learned that Bill Clinton had lost a battle with the space aliens and had hidden our last 350 UFOs beside a lake in Canada.

BobGrau

"How did George Noory get hired?"

In philosophical circles, this question is usually phrased "how did nothing come from something?"

Sardondi

Quote from: BobGrau on December 06, 2012, 07:44:51 AM
"How did George Noory get hired?"

In philosophical circles, this question is usually phrased "how did nothing come from something?"

Ah yes, the great philosophical questions, such as, "What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?", and, "If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one to hear it, does it make a noise?"

Bu the question regarding Noory is best expressed as, "What do you do with 20 pounds of shit when all you have is a 10-pound sack?".

ItsOver

This brings up so many questions about The Nooron.  How does he manage to get the C2C broadcast site each night?  How does he manage to get home every night?  How does he manage to safely feed himself.....errrr, never mind that one.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Sardondi on December 06, 2012, 08:14:39 AM
Ah yes, the great philosophical questions, such as, "What happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object?

That's the perfect way to describe the interaction between Coast Gab and George Noory.

(Not) George Noory: "The sound of one hand clapping is "swoosh"."

ericdxx

Quote from: NowhereInTime on December 05, 2012, 05:58:49 PM

I think this is how it usually happens.
A big radio corporation once hired David Lee Roth to replace Howard Stern. The management sent Roth to Boston to do two weeks of radio on overnights and they were very pleased with what they heard.

DAE

Please Read My Intro In Your Newbie Section.  I Explain In Brief What Led To The Hiring Of George.  It Is An Old Ancient Story.

G

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ericdxx on December 12, 2012, 08:09:28 AM
I think this is how it usually happens.
A big radio corporation once hired David Lee Roth to replace Howard Stern. The management sent Roth to Boston to do two weeks of radio on overnights and they were very pleased with what they heard.

As one of the poor souls in that market, Roth's audition was actually mornings on classic rock station WZLX in the spring of 2005. He was pretty bad...but managed, somehow, to be worse on the syndicated show in '06. What a disaster.

But he'd be working with Eddie again within a year...so it worked out.