• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Meanwhile in Texas...

Started by GravitySucks, May 01, 2017, 03:42:03 PM

Kidnostad3

Quote from: albrecht on August 25, 2017, 06:39:16 PM
Thanks. I'm far enough a way from the coast that only issue, likely, will be heavy rain and the usual flooding, but that happens all the time. I worry about the coast though (I know some folks who didn't evacuate who live on rural property near Port O'Connor, basically, where it looks like it will hit. I think they are nuts but tough shrimpers and fishermen and say "we've seen it before" etc.) Not good, I fear. (Nearby is the ghost-town of Indianola which was wiped out 2x by hurricanes.) And especially for the flooding in areas that the water doesn't run off, soak in, or recede easily and has had so much flooding the past couple of years. Everyone I talked to in Houston was sticking it out but grocery and liquor stores were emptying quickly yesterday.

Yup, and there is always a run on toilet paper isn't there.

albrecht

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on August 26, 2017, 09:43:41 AM
Yup, and there is always a run on toilet paper isn't there.
Yep, but you aren't going to ever regret stocking up on things like toilet paper or booze etc. And canned goods last a while and can be used. Everyone I heard from on the coast is ok, including a couple who stayed at whose place was at ground zero basically (outside Port O'Connor.) But rain and flooding could still be an issue places. Reporters from Weather Channel seem disappointed that storm didn't make more damage and, so far, no loss of life.

Swishypants

https://youtu.be/zAKksqKR3pI

Texas DPS is where we run our SF's through so they can operate on the border-ish, south of it, :)

They can do whatever they want!

albrecht

Quote from: Swishypants on October 09, 2017, 06:56:23 PM

https://youtu.be/zAKksqKR3pI

Texas DPS is where we run our SF's through so they can operate on the border-ish, south of it, :)

They can do whatever they want!
What is sort of weird but most folks don't think about it. Game Wardens have about the most, I'm talking official and per-the-law, rights and jurisdiction. (I'm not talking "black ops" but legal right to do things most cops can't, legally, do. Enter property, search vehicles, stop people for weak/no suspicion, seize weapons, etc AND enforce, cite, arrest whatever OTHER laws or violations they find in the furtherance of their searches for game and fishing violations.

30 miles in, I think they might have expanded it to more, I forget, there is no Constitution, basically, on the border and your vehicle, lands, etc can be searched, trespassed on, etc by LEOs.

Swishypants

Quote from: albrecht on October 09, 2017, 07:13:59 PM
What is sort of weird but most folks don't think about it. Game Wardens have about the most, I'm talking official and per-the-law, rights and jurisdiction. (I'm not talking "black ops" but legal right to do things most cops can't, legally, do. Enter property, search vehicles, stop people for weak/no suspicion, seize weapons, etc AND enforce, cite, arrest whatever OTHER laws or violations they find in the furtherance of their searches for game and fishing violations.

30 miles in, I think they might have expanded it to more, I forget, there is no Constitution, basically, on the border and your vehicle, lands, etc can be searched, trespassed on, etc by LEOs.

LOL! I know. :) Stupid bastards! It's 100 miles btw.

albrecht

Quote from: Swishypants on October 09, 2017, 07:17:03 PM
LOL! I know. :) Stupid bastards! It's 100 miles btw.
Yeah, I knew they expanded it recently but wasn't sure how long. Funny a few months ago I drove a relative's car out to LA when she moved and didn't want the movers to move her important stuff and figured I love the desert and get to see some friends out there also so drove it for her. She also wanted me (she's an old lady) to move her precious plants (all legal but still, including agriculture laws/issues that Cali has?) Outside El Paso I'm waved through the station with a car visibly full of plants, jewelry, paintings, wine, etc and see some Goth like girl and some Mexicans in a beater cars, but still not full of plants getting the full tear-out and once over. Ha. Better yet- the ICE Agent who waved me, a gringo, past without hardly a look was of "Hispanic descent." Folks on the border know what is up. They can look over to El Paso while on I-10 and say "I don't want that here" - no matter their race or ethnicity.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 09, 2017, 07:13:59 PM

Game wardens never used to even carry handguns until about the mid 70’s when one caught some guys loading netted white bass in the river above Lake Livingston. They pulled guns on him. They made him help load up and then tied him to a tree. Shortly after that the legislature changed it to allow them to carry.

Swishypants

Quote from: albrecht on October 09, 2017, 07:24:09 PM
Yeah, I knew they expanded it recently but wasn't sure how long. Funny a few months ago I drove a relative's car out to LA when she moved and didn't want the movers to move her important stuff and figured I love the desert and get to see some friends out there also so drove it for her. She also wanted me (she's an old lady) to move her precious plants (all legal but still, including agriculture laws/issues that Cali has?) Outside El Paso I'm waved through the station with a car visibly full of plants, jewelry, paintings, wine, etc and see some Goth like girl and some Mexicans in a beater cars, but still not full of plants getting the full tear-out and once over. Ha. Better yet- the ICE Agent who waved me, a gringo, past without hardly a look was of "Hispanic descent." Folks on the border know what is up. They can look over to El Paso while on I-10 and say "I don't want that here" - no matter their race or ethnicity.

Route 10 was a battle ground a few years back. I'm talking full-on firefights. We got the Cartels working for us now though.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 09, 2017, 07:41:08 PM
Game wardens never used to even carry handguns until about the mid 70’s when one caught some guys loading netted white bass in the river above Lake Livingston. They pulled guns on him. They made him help load up and then tied him to a tree. Shortly after that the legislature changed it to allow them to carry.
An outlaw part of me wanted to hope they were at least using old crank telephone n wires to get the fish. Not illegal nets. Having said that, I'm against poaching and also understand they, maybe even more than normal LEOs are facing armed people, remote locations, illegals, cartels, etc and should be well armed and be suspect of non locals. And even sometimes.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 09, 2017, 08:28:03 PM
An outlaw part of me wanted to hope they were at least using old crank telephone n wires to get the fish. Not illegal nets. Having said that, I'm against poaching and also understand they, maybe even more than normal LEOs are facing armed people, remote locations, illegals, cartels, etc and should be well armed and be suspect of non locals. And even sometimes.

Yeah, you know how it is around the fire at a hunting camp. Over the years, I have hunted with 20+ guys that said they were friends/relatives of the game warden and 25-30 that said the same about the poachers. I learned early that the first liar never stands a chance.

To be honest, I have heard that story for so long and never had the balls to ask a real warden if it was true. The lease I used to be on was below the Livingston Dam in the Trinity River watershed - next to the Big Thicket. I was always trying to make sure I didn’t get a citation.

In fact, one of my friends that got me on that lease just died Friday. What an outdoorsman he was. One lung. Never tired. The last 5 years or so he has been using an artificial heart. A few years ago he had to get medivaced from West Texas because he got hit on his head with a falling deer stand in West Texas and the doctors refused to treat him there because he had the mechanical heart. He caught a lot of grief from the hospital hear because he was supposed to stay within like 30 miles of the hospital. His brother taught me how to make a toothpick from a racoon pecker. Our kids used to run around goose hunting with us out past Katy.

RIP Big John.

Jackstar

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 09, 2017, 07:41:08 PM
the legislature changed it to allow them to carry.

... who passed a law in the first place that said they couldn't? Mystifying.

Zetaspeak

QuoteTexas Tech Police Officer Shot and Killed; Suspect in Custody

At campus police headquarters, the student pulled out a gun and shot an officer in the head, killing him, according to the statement from university spokesman Chris Cook

A campus police officer was shot and killed Monday at Texas Tech, prompting a lockdown that ended with the suspect's arrest later in the evening.

A call for a student "welfare check" brought campus officers to a room where they found drugs and drug paraphernalia, leading the officers to bring the student to the station for a standard debriefing, a spokesman for the school said in a statement.

At campus police station, the student pulled out a gun and shot an officer in the head, killing him, according to the statement from university spokesman Chris Cook. The victim has not been identified.

The shooting occurred around 8 p.m. CT (9 p.m. ET) Monday, according to BC affiliate KCBD in Lubbock, Texas. The suspect ran from the scene, authorities said, and the Lubbock SWAT team helped search for him.

He was caught by campus police about 9:30 p.m. CT (10:30 p.m. ET), and the lockdown was lifted shortly after.

Wait how do you bring somebody into the station on drug charges without even searching them..... *Looks at his photo*....... oh never mind

Jackstar

Quote from: Zetaspeak on October 09, 2017, 10:24:18 PM
Wait how do you bring somebody into the station on drug charges without even searching them

"campus police station." It's more like Fisher-Price than color of law.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 09, 2017, 08:52:53 PM
Yeah, you know how it is around the fire at a hunting camp. Over the years, I have hunted with 20+ guys that said they were friends/relatives of the game warden and 25-30 that said the same about the poachers. I learned early that the first liar never stands a chance.

To be honest, I have heard that story for so long and never had the balls to ask a real warden if it was true. The lease I used to be on was below the Livingston Dam in the Trinity River watershed - next to the Big Thicket. I was always trying to make sure I didn’t get a citation.

In fact, one of my friends that got me on that lease just died Friday. What an outdoorsman he was. One lung. Never tired. The last 5 years or so he has been using an artificial heart. A few years ago he had to get medivaced from West Texas because he got hit on his head with a falling deer stand in West Texas and the doctors refused to treat him there because he had the mechanical heart. He caught a lot of grief from the hospital hear because he was supposed to stay within like 30 miles of the hospital. His brother taught me how to make a toothpick from a racoon pecker. Our kids used to run around goose hunting with us out past Katy.

RIP Big John.
Sounds like a good man. RIP. Yeah, we all hear the stories. But there are bad poachers out there. You will recall some turtle incidents even and law changes that said a kid can't grab one or some road rule. An international market of, primarily, Asians, wanting to take game from everywhere and changes in development and AG. Oddly, the most evil countries USA, Europe, Russia, ares one of the few that have new game and some natural controls and hunting groups who support it and help the animals.

=Schlyder=

This student was 19.  That is underage for legal carry in Texas.  So he was breaking the law.  Why they didn't search him is complete incompetence.  Shit happens.

just another example of gun laws being useless.

albrecht

AT&T and maybe other towers down or offline? Here in Austin problems making cell calls, texts can't be sent/received, except now after hours all txts come in at once and then offline again? Internet and cable seem to work. Odd since no storms, Jade Helm  ;) , or incidents that I'm aware of.
http://downdetector.com/status/att/map/

ps: regarding the TT murder. APD had a bad handling of suspect recently. Didn't check and, somehow, guy was able to shoot himself while handcuffed in the back of the car. Or that was the finding at least.

http://kxan.com/2017/06/21/officer-suspended-for-failing-to-find-gun-on-suspect-who-killed-himself/

Swishypants

Quote from: albrecht on October 11, 2017, 09:13:27 PM
AT&T and maybe other towers down or offline? Here in Austin problems making cell calls, texts can't be sent/received, except now after hours all txts come in at once and then offline again? Internet and cable seem to work. Odd since no storms, Jade Helm  ;) , or incidents that I'm aware of.

ps: regarding the TT murder. APD had a bad handling of suspect recently. Didn't check and, somehow, guy was able to shoot himself while handcuffed in the back of the car. Or that was the finding at least.

http://kxan.com/2017/06/21/officer-suspended-for-failing-to-find-gun-on-suspect-who-killed-himself/

You gotta roll Verizon if you want the cover. ADP is why DPS is rolling all over Austin. The Texas Security Forces will prevail as they have the support of SOF/SF out of Hood. We did the Cartels a few years back; just mopping up now. :)

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 11, 2017, 09:13:27 PM

Must be that cold front

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 11, 2017, 09:20:10 PM
Must be that cold front
I love the so-called "cold front" because it has been pleasant here the past few days finally. Oddly though more mosquitoes than I had in Houston? Must be the benzene and other chemicals in the air/water after the floods?   ;) Pesky buggers found their way into the house, out in the grass, etc. I want a real cold front to kill them off.
Go Stros!

albrecht

Quote from: Swishypants on October 11, 2017, 09:16:11 PM
You gotta roll Verizon if you want the cover. ADP is why DPS is rolling all over Austin. The Texas Security Forces will prevail as they have the support of SOF/SF out of Hood. We did the Cartels a few years back; just mopping up now. :)
APD has had all kinds of weirdness over the years. Besides the various shootings or the Yogurt Shop mess. Recently many of their Ford SUVs had some kinda leak that was causing officers to pass out or have health problems. Back and forth between union, APD, and Ford. Head guy, a questionable character in my mind with an 'interesting' history from California, left and is now Houston's chief. He seems to be a slippery guy to moves from place to place. To his credit, or not, he used to engage with Alex Jones on radio for a time and would come on the AM stations also to discuss issues (like a local radio personality's arrest for DWI.)

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 11, 2017, 09:27:46 PM
I love the so-called "cold front" because it has been pleasant here the past few days finally. Oddly though more mosquitoes than I had in Houston? Must be the benzene and other chemicals in the air/water after the floods?   ;) Pesky buggers found their way into the house, out in the grass, etc. I want a real cold front to kill them off.
Go Stros!

We had C-130s spraying after the storm. That might have helped.

I am still holding out for an Astros/Cubs World Series. I got to go to one game in the ALDS. I might get one each in the ALCS and the World Series. My brother bought a package.