• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

ItsOver

Quote from: McPhallus on March 08, 2013, 07:11:07 PM

Few things are more dehumanizing, more life-sucking, than shoveling tightly-packed snow.  That and digging a hole while watching the dirt fall down the sides.

Funny you'd mention digging a hole.  I'm in a warmer part of the country and that's what I spent some delightful time doing today.  Actually it was worse than digging a hole.  I had to remove an overgrown dead shrub with roots from here to China.  I had to dig down to get to the roots and clip them off with a big cutter so I could put in a new shrub.  Fortunately, all I needed was some aspirin after all the involuntary exercise.  The bad news is I noticed another shrub that may require a repeat performance.  :P   

Eddie Coyle

That I just found out that sometime this weekend, I'm going to have endure the presence of a young woman, who responded to a Facebook query of "who's your doppelganger?" and without hesitation, humility or semblance of reality, put up a picture of Kate Middleton. Let me tell you, she doesn't resemble the duchess at all...at all, at all. In the slightest. They were both born in the 80's- that's the beginning,middle and end of what they have in common. I'm hoping the visit is brief. In a strange way, I'm hoping my awful back pain persists and gives me a concrete reason to remain in my bunker without coming across as rude.

ChewMouse

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 09, 2013, 01:30:10 AM
          That I just found out that sometime this weekend, I'm going to have endure the presence of a young woman, who responded to a Facebook query of "who's your doppelganger?" and without hesitation, humility or semblance of reality, put up a picture of Kate Middleton. Let me tell you, she doesn't resemble the duchess at all...at all, at all. In the slightest. They were both born in the 80's- that's the beginning,middle and end of what they have in common. I'm hoping the visit is brief. In a strange way, I'm hoping my awful back pain persists and gives me a concrete reason to remain in my bunker without coming across as rude.

Wait. Wait. You saw her on FB and invited her over based upon the fact that she said she looks like Kate?

I must be missing something here.

BobGrau

Quote from: McPhallus on March 08, 2013, 07:11:07 PM

Few things are more dehumanizing, more life-sucking, than shoveling tightly-packed snow.  That and digging a hole while watching the dirt fall down the sides.

Some of my fondest memories are of shovelling snow on ketamine. I recommend it.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ChewMouse on March 09, 2013, 01:48:37 AM
Wait. Wait. You saw her on FB and invited her over based upon the fact that she said she looks like Kate?

I must be missing something here.
I was searching for massage therapists via Facebook... ;)

Actually, I made the fatal altruistic decision of letting my youngest sister hold a mini-function at my house later today(8-12 people expected) but didn't realize the self-enamored girl was one of the invited. I'll try not to laugh(at her) in her presence. It might be impossible.

Juan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 09, 2013, 07:50:11 AM
I'll try not to laugh(at her) in her presence. It might be impossible.
Remember, laughing may further injure your back.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: UFO Fill on March 09, 2013, 07:59:42 AM
Remember, laughing may further injure your back.
Given my self-defeating tendencies, I'll probably laugh at her like a hyena...and end up walking like Larry Flynt.

But it may be worth it.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: UFO Fill on March 08, 2013, 07:26:25 AM
You've made a common mistake of confusing health insurance with medical treatment.  It's understandable because the politicians, at least over here, combine the two into "healthcare" and confuse things.

I'm not without medical treatment.  I can go to my doctor and pay cash.  I can go the the emergency room at a hospital and they'll work out a payment plan.  Some medications are so cheap, they're now free at my pharmacy.  The medical treatment delivery system is not broken.  I'd advance my views on how to pay for the treatment, but that would probably get into politics and we're dangerously close to that now.

Hmmm; you misunderstood. When I say free at the point of use, I mean free. Zilch. Whether it's an ingrowing toenail, or a heart and lung transplant. I'll qualify all that though, by saying that a lot of medical procedures are financed in the research stage by charities. We have the British Heart foundation, cancer research, MIND (Dealing with mental illness) to give three examples.

The upshot being iif you're a prince or a pauper, you will receive medical care, with no invoice if you go the national health service path..Of course there are private medical plans for those who can afford/wish them. The problem with the NHS is it's a victim of it's own success, and procedures that were only five/ten years ago unheard of, are now available. Not all in my view should be..such as IVF.

Juan

Part of the problem is that medical science can do a lot for people who, only a few years ago, would have died.  Unfortunately, these new medical procedures cost a lot of money, and I don't mean just to the patient.  Wherever the money comes from, doctors, nurses, inventors, equipment manufacturers, etc.  are well paid, as they should be.

onan

Quote from: UFO Fill on March 09, 2013, 08:28:15 AM
Part of the problem is that medical science can do a lot for people who, only a few years ago, would have died.  Unfortunately, these new medical procedures cost a lot of money, and I don't mean just to the patient.  Wherever the money comes from, doctors, nurses, inventors, equipment manufacturers, etc.  are well paid, as they should be.

Here is the dirty secret... Bonuses. Add to that, healthcare workers are well paid compared to those working in retail but other than that... not so much.

Doctors in the US, generally do very well. Nurses and allied health... not really for the responsibility they have.

To the bonus. Hospital management get huge bonuses for ensuring investor's increased earnings. I recently left a for profit hospital. Primarily because health care and patient safety was taking a back seat to profits. I wish I could share details, but I would be sued.

I, through a set of coincidences, learned what some of the doctors I worked with received in bonuses. One particular doctor's bonus was more than my yearly salary.

I know i will offend a few here, but hospitals and profit should never be mixed.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 09, 2013, 07:50:11 AM...I'll try not to laugh(at her) in her presence. It might be impossible.

But, oh, how potentially entertaining for all of us. *sigh* The ridiculously auto-enamored kids you'll see; the spirits you'll break. Good times. *sniff*

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on March 09, 2013, 09:13:58 AM
But, oh, how potentially entertaining for all of us. *sigh* The ridiculously auto-enamored kids you'll see; the spirits you'll break. Good times. *sniff*

It's my sister who alerted me to this deluded girl's Facebook(not like I'm on the site) knowing how I'd respond...so the mocking is widespread in her circle, but they have the good sense and diplomatic instinct to not ridicule her...at least while's she there.

Me, not so much. But I'm off to the 'burbs for the afternoon, so maybe I'll avoid Duchess/Queen Cheryl. Who looks more like Rick Middleton than Kate Middleton to my eyes...

Juan

That Nutella is being hoarded by students at Columbia University and other Ivy League schools. Someone actually eats this stuff? I'm continually amazed, and annoyed, by modern society.

Eddie Coyle

(1) Apparently Karaoke still exists. At least on the second floor of my residence tonight

(2) Apparently yuppie beer(Sam Adams) and bad Chinese Food triggers some base instinct to perform karaoke. You know because the world needed worse versions of "Jack and Diane", "Every Rose Has It's Thorn", "Uptown Girl", "You Give Love A Bad Name"... :(

* Very subtly, the second floor of the Coyle household "sprung forward" at 10:50pm. Now, the clock where I am reads 11:20 pm...but upstairs it's 12:20am. Perhaps I erred in moving the clocks only one hour ahead.
    ** I knew there was a reason I normally ban yuppie beer/Chinese Food from the premises.

Nobody karaoke-ing "Goodbye Macho Man (Randy Savage)" to the tune of Candle in the Wind?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on March 09, 2013, 10:37:37 PM
Nobody karaoke-ing "Goodbye Macho Man (Randy Savage)" to the tune of Candle in the Wind?
If that was the case, I'd be up there with them. Running to the packy to buy more Sam Adams and picking up more Chicken Fingers,General Gao and pork fried rice.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 09, 2013, 10:44:00 PM
       If that was the case, I'd be up there with them. Running to the packy to buy more Sam Adams and picking up more Chicken Fingers,General Gao and pork fried rice.

The hell with your post, I'm asking about your avatar: Ginger Baker? Or is that too easy?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on March 09, 2013, 11:26:06 PM
The hell with your post, I'm asking about your avatar: Ginger Baker? Or is that too easy?

Yep, it's Mr Baker. I was listening to the Wheels of Fire version of "Toad" trying to drown out the vapidity party above and gave Ginger the avatar of the day for the help.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 09, 2013, 11:40:30 PM
          Yep, it's Mr Baker. I was listening to the Wheels of Fire version of "Toad" trying to drown out the vapidity party above and gave Ginger the avatar of the day for the help.
16 minutes of classic rock bliss.  I may have to pull that disc out tomorrow - been in a blues rock mood this weekend, but forgot about Cream.  Dire Straights got heavy rotation, though.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on March 10, 2013, 12:46:30 AM
16 minutes of classic rock bliss.  I may have to pull that disc out tomorrow - been in a blues rock mood this weekend, but forgot about Cream.  Dire Straights got heavy rotation, though.
I've been all over the map today(of course the map being from 1965-1980) from Grand Funk Railroad to Earl Klugh to The Rascals to Cream to Baker Gurvitz Army to Pat Travers(hoser rock God) to Larry Coryell...next up, probably The Who's Odds N Sods expanded version.

BobGrau

Today is Mother's Day. I forgot to get her a card. Today is also my birthday ...Shit.

Sardondi

Quote from: BobGrau on March 10, 2013, 05:44:14 AM
Today is Mother's Day.....

WHAT!!?!!!??!

*edit* The Mother's Day I'm aware of and recognize is May 12. Unless you're operating on some calendar like the Julian or Eastern Orthodox maybe you're safe too.

BobGrau

Quote from: Sardondi on March 10, 2013, 07:59:03 AM
...Unless you're operating on some calendar like the Julian or Eastern Orthodox maybe you're safe too.

My mother's not that old!

It must be earlier in UK. Normally my birthday falls on National No Smoking day for some reason.

Sardondi

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on March 09, 2013, 11:40:30 PM

Was that the party with Kate Middleton? Was there any hint of a cosmic reckoning? Has anyone informed her of the concepts of hubris and nemesis?

Re "Toad" and Mr. Baker: I'm sorry, drum solos almost always leave me cold. I'm sure most of it has to do with my inability to distinguish and appreciate those drummers who other musicians think are good. I'm almost embarrassed to say my two favorite drummers were Moon and Bonham. I know - so weak. Like the kid who says his favorite baseball player is whoever is most popular right now. I only know the stars. I guess I should have thrown Ringo in there and then the stereotype would have been complete. BTW, Ringo seemed like he was a good, solid timekeeper, not flashy. He did have that trademark "shuffle", a lazy, barely syncopated little rhythm he used as a lead-in so often. But Neil Peart, Dave Grohl, etc.? Pfffft. They mean nothing to me. I couldn't tell you why people think they're good. Oh yeah, I just remembered noticing whoever was drumming for Carlos Santana in his first few albums. That's probably a whole cadre of people on congas, sticks and whatever as well as a standard drum kit. And Stewart Copeland could come up with rhythms so complex it's like they're ciphers. I can imagine him in the recording studio, saying, "Okay guys, this next one is in 3/11 time".

Back to Moon and Bonham, I like them I guess because I listened to them a bunch. But also because their styles, while very different from each other, were so idiosyncratic and instantly recognizable. For me Keith Moon was simply incredible, because I thought his manic drumming wasn't just timekeeping but was an actual part of the melody. His timekeeping and rhythm were great, and I could always immediately pick out the central beat (which I can't do with most drummers in solo mode). He could jam more drumming into a line of music than anyone else, beautifully syncopated but still done in such a way that the main beat was right there. It's almost a joke today, but his brief solo in "Won't Get Fooled Again" just seems so perfect to me, in composition as well as length (meaning "short").

With Bonham it was the thunder, as well as his off-kilter rhythms which fit the music perfectly. He makes "When The Levee Breaks", and it would be nothing without his intro and a foundation beat like a slow-moving freight train. Still, I can't take more than brief solos from him either, and even "Moby Dick" is wasted on me. *yawn*

And a Buddy Rich assault? The very thought puts me in depression. I just can't appreciate most drummers I guess.

Quote from: Sardondi on March 10, 2013, 08:50:30 AM
... drum solos almost always leave me cold....

I tend not to notice the drummer much - except in certian tunes, my bad I guess.  I've been trying to force myself to listen to just that in little bits lately 'cause I know I'm missing something.

The part of a live show when the drummer goes into a long solo while the rest of the band takes a break is excruciating for me, always.  The worst was the half hour long Mickey Hart solos at Dead shows.  OMFG.  I've made it a point to never go to one of his gigs.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on March 10, 2013, 08:50:30 AM
Was that the party with Kate Middleton? Was there any hint of a cosmic reckoning? Has anyone informed her of the concepts of hubris and nemesis?

Re "Toad" and Mr. Baker: I'm sorry, drum solos almost always leave me cold. I'm sure most of it has to do with my inability to distinguish and appreciate those drummers who other musicians think are good. I'm almost embarrassed to say my two favorite drummers were Moon and Bonham. I know - so weak. Like the kid who says his favorite baseball player is whoever is most popular right now. I only know the stars. I guess I should have thrown Ringo in there and then the stereotype would have been complete. BTW, Ringo seemed like he was a good, solid timekeeper, not flashy. He did have that trademark "shuffle", a lazy, barely syncopated little rhythm he used as a lead-in so often. But Neil Peart, Dave Grohl, etc.? Pfffft. They mean nothing to me. I couldn't tell you why people think they're good. Oh yeah, I just remembered noticing whoever was drumming for Carlos Santana in his first few albums. That's probably a whole cadre of people on congas, sticks and whatever as well as a standard drum kit. And Stewart Copeland could come up with rhythms so complex it's like they're ciphers. I can imagine him in the recording studio, saying, "Okay guys, this next one is in 3/11 time".

Back to Moon and Bonham, I like them I guess because I listened to them a bunch. But also because their styles, while very different from each other, were so idiosyncratic and instantly recognizable. For me Keith Moon was simply incredible, because I thought his manic drumming wasn't just timekeeping but was an actual part of the melody. His timekeeping and rhythm were great, and I could always immediately pick out the central beat (which I can't do with most drummers in solo mode). He could jam more drumming into a line of music than anyone else, beautifully syncopated but still done in such a way that the main beat was right there. It's almost a joke today, but his brief solo in "Won't Get Fooled Again" just seems so perfect to me, in composition as well as length (meaning "short").

With Bonham it was the thunder, as well as his off-kilter rhythms which fit the music perfectly. He makes "When The Levee Breaks", and it would be nothing without his intro and a foundation beat like a slow-moving freight train. Still, I can't take more than brief solos from him either, and even "Moby Dick" is wasted on me. *yawn*

Yes, Duchess Cheryl and her enabling husband were there. In the brief amounts of time I spent upstairs, we managed to be ships in the night. All for the better. The Duchess and her husband are insufferable social climbers who rose from the old neighborhood, to what Charles Murray has deemed the "superzips". Sadly, they'll be back for St Pat's parade next week...but that gathering ain't in my quarters.

I'm not a big fan of drum solos, but do think Baker,Cobham,Williams,Bruford,Paice and Peart had an ability to make them seem some what coherent if not melodic. Moon, for all his mayhem off stage,(at least from 1965-73) was fully cognizant of his role(rarely if ever took a solo). Nobody in the Who ever took a solo formore than a minute. If they played 100 minutes, it was a concise, direct assault. There's no Moby Dick in their oeuvre. Which is remarkable considering the era...

Eddie Coyle

The Sun annoys me.

The Sun being around later into the day now annoys me.

That my sunglasses make me look like plainclothes Five-o annoys me.

Sardondi

I hate moving the damn clock forward. I hate the incremental oh-they're-so-stupid-they'll-never-notice cutting of Standard Time every year. Set it and leave it! How long did we have standard time this year? 4 months? We have regular, "natural" time only 4 months of the year? Four fucking months? I don't recall anyone asking me about this. My government just did it to me. Like it does most things. And now all we've done is make the mornings dark. Assholes.

onan

Some simplistic searching comes up with the US using 20 million barrels of oil a day, DST saves 10000 barrels a day. 1/200 of our usage saved... fuck, I feel better.